The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Lives Matter and the American Protests

+18
guildfordbat
superflyweight
No 7&1/2
kingraf
TRUSSMAN66
tigertattie
88Chris05
BamBam
lostinwales
Pr4wn
JuliusHMarx
Duty281
Soul Requiem
MrInvisible
Samo
king_carlos
navyblueshorts
Dolphin Ziggler
22 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Black Lives Matter and the American Protests - Page 5 Empty Black Lives Matter and the American Protests

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Jun 2020, 4:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Because this issue is seeping into other threads, why not talk about it here instead? I don't really have anything particularly pithy to say, so write your own bloody topic intros.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Black Lives Matter and the American Protests - Page 5 Empty Re: Black Lives Matter and the American Protests

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 10:54 am

Duty281 wrote:Hopefully he'll have encouraged the police to come down hard on the first signs of any more violence or destruction over the weekend

Well the police did come down hard, thank goodness, not just in London but other places as well, including Newcastle. Hopefully it's deterred the thugs on both sides, and we won't see similar scenes next weekend.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Black Lives Matter and the American Protests - Page 5 Empty Re: Black Lives Matter and the American Protests

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 2:10 pm

Thugs on both sides? Jesus.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 14 Jun 2020, 2:51 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Thugs on both sides? Jesus.

Judging by the trouble both weeks it is simply true.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 3:05 pm

Not even comparable really. Embarrassing to see the right wingers jump through these hoops. Trumpian good people on both sides.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 14 Jun 2020, 3:07 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Not even comparable really.  Embarrassing to see the right wingers jump through these hoops. Trumpian good people on both sides.

The worst elements of each protest are comparable, the movements themselves are not being compared.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun 14 Jun 2020, 3:12 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Not even comparable really.  Embarrassing to see the right wingers jump through these hoops. Trumpian good people on both sides.

The worst elements of each protest are comparable, the movements themselves are not being compared.

Tearing down a statue of a slave trader is comparable to urinating on a memorial to a dead policeman? Sure, bud.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 3:22 pm

Maybe he means writing he was racist on a statues plinth was the same as giving nazi salutes next to the cenotaph?

Let's face it a bunch of racists had a day out on the piss looking for fights. Did like the lads and lasses protecting the statue of Earl Grey though. Kinda proving some dont learn about history from lumps of metal and stone.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 3:51 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Thugs on both sides? Jesus.

Yes 27 police officers were injured in last week's BLM protests. 6 police officers were injured yesterday. There are thugs on both sides. There's no dispute to that.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:09 pm

Perhaps the thugs from last weekend are not on the same side as the anti-racists - they have their own side, separate from the peaceful protestors. Whereas everyone on the racist side, thug or not, deserves condemnation.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:15 pm

I mean that's a real stretch duty. Ignores a lot of things but you've sided with the racists fair enough.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:32 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I mean that's a real stretch duty. Ignores a lot of things but you've sided with the racists fair enough.

How's it a stretch? Just factual information. I'm sorry that your bias doesn't allow you to be objective. I've criticised both sides, I haven't sided with anyone.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:37 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Perhaps the thugs from last weekend are not on the same side as the anti-racists - they have their own side, separate from the peaceful protestors. Whereas everyone on the racist side, thug or not, deserves condemnation.

I think the Black Lives Matter movement would want to distance themselves from the violent minority who marred their own protest, just like they had to condemn the homophobia at one of their recent marches.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:39 pm

Hows it a stretch? Thousands of people come out to protest about institutional racism. Vast majority do so peacefully and vast majority legally. Against normal police. The next weekend a load of racists come out to drink and have fights. Police are in riot gear.
Your criticism rings of all lives matter when someone says to you black lives matter. It's an anonymous forum I don't know why you have to play silly games. I'd get that in real life you'd never say these things.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:42 pm

I'm really struggling to understand your viewpoint here and unsure how criticising anyone who has caused trouble over the past two weekends is picking sides. You're reducing a serious subject into point scoring.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:45 pm

Duty281 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Perhaps the thugs from last weekend are not on the same side as the anti-racists - they have their own side, separate from the peaceful protestors. Whereas everyone on the racist side, thug or not, deserves condemnation.

I think the Black Lives Matter movement would want to distance themselves from the violent minority who marred their own protest, just like they had to condemn the homophobia at one of their recent marches.

I guess that you haven't been reading about how they are trying to do exactly that.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:48 pm

You profess to struggle a lot Soul.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:51 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:I'm really struggling to understand your viewpoint here and unsure how criticising anyone who has caused trouble over the past two weekends is picking sides. You're reducing a serious subject into point scoring.

Racism constantly causes trouble regardless of whether it manifests itself in physical violence every now and then. Fighting against injustice is a good thing, even though it may manifest itself in physical violence every now and then. Maybe focus on that viewpoint.

Last edited by JuliusHMarx on Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:51 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Hows it a stretch? Thousands of people come out to protest about institutional racism. Vast majority do so peacefully and vast majority legally. Against normal police. The next weekend a load of racists come out to drink and have fights. Police are in riot gear.
Your criticism rings of all lives matter when someone says to you black lives matter. It's an anonymous forum I don't know why you have to play silly games. I'd get that in real life you'd never say these things.

Yep, no dispute the vast majority of BLM protestors last weekend were peaceful. But a minority were violent, hence the 27 police injuries. The minority spoil it for the majority, and also give BLM a worse reputation (because it's the violent minority that make the headlines), hence why I've condemned them.

Also the reason why I was calling for the police to enforce the rule of law when Colston's statue was torn down was because this exact thing (yesterday's thuggery from the football mob) was a direct consequence of it. Anyone could have predicted it happening. Thankfully the police finally cracked down yesterday with plenty of arrests. Hopefully that's the end of the far-right coming out for a punch-up, and hopefully we return to orderly protests.

I would say these things in real life/have said these things in real life. I don't understand why there'd be any qualms there.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:55 pm

Duty281 wrote:The minority spoil it for the majority.

Only if people let it by focussing on it, rather than the more important issues at stake i.e. a more just and equal society.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 14 Jun 2020, 4:58 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:I'm really struggling to understand your viewpoint here and unsure how criticising anyone who has caused trouble over the past two weekends is picking sides. You're reducing a serious subject into point scoring.

Racism constantly causes trouble regardless of whether it manifests itself in physical violence every now and then. Fighting against injustice is a good thing, even though it may manifest itself in physical violence every now and then. Maybe focus on that viewpoint.

Manifesting in violence against police officers is unacceptable on any level so I'll stick with that viewpoint thank you.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:02 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Only if people let it by focussing on it, rather than the more important issues at stake i.e. a more just and equal society.  

Yes, but people in general are guided by what the mainstream media say (at least for now), and if 27 police officers are injured at a protest then that's what the media will focus on, and in turn it's what the general public impression will be.

On a personal level, I consider violence in a democratic society to be inexcusable, and it can't be swept under the carpet by chasing the utopian dream of a more just and equal society. Of course, BLMUK want to abolish the police force, so maybe they view this as collateral damage?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:04 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Manifesting in violence against police officers is unacceptable on any level so I'll stick with that viewpoint thank you.

What about if a police officer is about to murder an innocent black person? Would violence against that police officer to prevent that murder be acceptable at that level?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:12 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

What about if a police officer is about to murder an innocent black person? Would violence against that police officer to prevent that murder be acceptable at that level?

That would self defence wouldn't it not assault, that doesn't even work as an argument on any level in this context, good try though.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:13 pm

Duty281 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Yes, but people in general are guided by what the mainstream media say (at least for now), and if 27 police officers are injured at a protest then that's what the media will focus on, and in turn it's what the general public impression will be.

On a personal level, I consider violence in a democratic society to be inexcusable, and it can't be swept under the carpet by chasing the utopian dream of a more just and equal society. Of course, BLMUK want to abolish the police force, so maybe they view this as collateral damage?

It's better to try to keep chasing a more just and equal society than let a minority of people distract you from that. What's the alternative - accept things as they are? Why would you give up so easily, unless you're OK with things the way they are?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:15 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

That would self defence wouldn't it not assault, that doesn't even work as an argument on any level in this context, good try though.

OK, so you've gone from saying violence is unacceptable 'at any level' to saying it is acceptable at some level. Fair enough.
But you still not addressing the main issue - racism in our society and what to do about it.

Edit - I'm assuming you'd want to do something about it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by JuliusHMarx on Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:26 pm

So the minority tars to the same extent as the majority yesterday. You wouldn't say these things in real life. At least not twice.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:27 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:So the minority tars to the same extent as the majority yesterday. You wouldn't say these things in real life. At least not twice.

Why wouldn't I?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:28 pm

Directed at duty. But day things like that to the wrong people and you're likely to get punched.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:34 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

It's better to try to keep chasing a more just and equal society than let a minority of people distract you from that. What's the alternative - accept things as they are? Why would you give up so easily, unless you're OK with things the way they are?

I haven't said anything about giving up. I've criticised the violent minority of BLM protestors, and commented that the reputation of BLM would be besmirched if it keeps happening.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:37 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Directed at duty. But day things like that to the wrong people and you're likely to get punched.

In real life I only have political conversations, and possibly disagreements, with civil, decent people, where there is no chance of being punched, so I have no qualms about stating my opinions in real life. Any one who thinks violence is an answer during a civil conversation is likely to be an extremist, of either the left or the right, so is best avoided.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:40 pm

Keep pushing your luck I beg you

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:41 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Keep pushing your luck I beg you

laughing

You're treating this like it's a game, beyond the stupidity of a minority last week there are actual issues that need addressing. I tend to think as a country we're generally in the right direction but more needs to be done as highlighted by the differing death rates with regards to Covid-19.

Last edited by Soul Requiem on Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:47 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Keep pushing your luck I beg you

I will. People I interact with are able to understand that issues and topics are not a simple case of right vs wrong, and they don't get angry when others disagree with them.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 14 Jun 2020, 5:54 pm

Duty281 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

I haven't said anything about giving up. I've criticised the violent minority of BLM protestors, and commented that the reputation of BLM would be besmirched if it keeps happening.

I'm glad we both support the peaceful anti-racist protests and are against the racists who gathered yesterday, violent or otherwise.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 15 Jun 2020, 9:56 am

Nutters on all sides. Main difference seems to be that the vast majority of the BLM marchers were not.

Very little evidence of anybody else apart from the nutters over the weekend.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Mon 15 Jun 2020, 1:17 pm

Am I the only one thinking 2 weeks' prison sentence for the guy who urinated by the memorial is a tad excessive?

He had no previous convictions, handed himself in voluntarily, and appeared to have been completely unaware of the memorial (had been downing pints for most of the day and previous night).  In short he was behaving like he probably does after a match or night out - disgusting as it is, not an offence we would normally see a custodial sentence for.

I would have thought a warning would have sufficed - there were far more serious acts taking place during these demonstrations (e.g. actual violence).

Also compare and contrast with this, where police appear to have stood by and taken no action: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52979267 .  I have a work colleague who lives in this area and is now scared to leave home because of this.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 15 Jun 2020, 1:25 pm

Apparently a lot of English think we should be celebrating British history a lot more instead of hiding it. Ok cool. What shall we remember today:

School children in Wales being humiliated and forced to wear a 'Welsh Not' for speaking their own language?

Welsh families taking in refugee children during WW2 from places like Coventry. Or are refugees still classed as the scum of the earth?

People in Capel Celyn forced out of their homes and made to dig up their dead so the Tryweryn valley could be flooded to provide water for Merseyside?

Or are we keeping a lid on these ones???

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 15 Jun 2020, 1:33 pm

MrInvisible wrote:Am I the only one thinking 2 weeks' prison sentence for the guy who urinated by the memorial is a tad excessive?

He had no previous convictions, handed himself in voluntarily, and appeared to have been completely unaware of the memorial (had been downing pints for most of the day and previous night).  In short he was behaving like he probably does after a match or night out - disgusting as it is, not an offence we would normally see a custodial sentence for.

I would have thought a warning would have sufficed - there were far more serious acts taking place during these demonstrations (e.g. actual violence).

Also compare and contrast with this, where police appear to have stood by and taken no action: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52979267 .  I have a work colleague who lives in this area and is now scared to leave home because of this.

The man doesn't need to be locked up, he needs rehabilitation to get his life back in order.

Prosecutor Michael Mallon said Banks, a Tottenham Hotspur fan, was in central London to "protect statues", but admitted he did not know which statues.

He was said to have drunk 16 pints during Friday night into Saturday morning, and had not been to sleep.

Goodness.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 15 Jun 2020, 1:36 pm

Good news story for the day. There were a handful of Edinburgh residents in the street handing out BLM literature and talking to locals about inequality in Scotland. How it affects people in ways you might not realise. Simple steps we can all take to raise awareness and make a difference etc. Lovely and very bright young people from a mix of races.

A bloke wanders over and starts hurling some very uninformed vitriol at them. Which a young fellow who I'm guessing lives in a flat across the street responded to by appearing out his buildings stairwell door with a set of bagpipes and proceeded to drown out the idiot hurling vitriol at the peaceful activists by playing Loch Lomond until the obnoxious gentleman decided it was probably best to walk away.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 15 Jun 2020, 1:41 pm

Duty281 wrote:
MrInvisible wrote:Am I the only one thinking 2 weeks' prison sentence for the guy who urinated by the memorial is a tad excessive?

The man doesn't need to be locked up, he needs rehabilitation to get his life back in order.

Prosecutor Michael Mallon said Banks, a Tottenham Hotspur fan, was in central London to "protect statues", but admitted he did not know which statues.

He was said to have drunk 16 pints during Friday night into Saturday morning, and had not been to sleep.

Goodness.
Sums up the protests on Saturday. The only thing that protesters such as them are usually sure of is that they are angry. Once you ask a question or two about why the facade usually breaks down and it becomes clear that their anger is actually nothing to do with statues, BLM protests, immigration, etc. Their anger is actually about a system of wealth inequality that sees too large a proportion of our society left behind. Largely due to intentionally misinforming reporting from several major papers that anger is usually directed in completely the wrong place though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 15 Jun 2020, 3:24 pm

Steffan wrote:Apparently a lot of English think we should be celebrating British history a lot more instead of hiding it. Ok cool. What shall we remember today:

School children in Wales being humiliated and forced to wear a 'Welsh Not' for speaking their own language?

Welsh families taking in refugee children during WW2 from places like Coventry. Or are refugees still classed as the scum of the earth?

People in Capel Celyn forced out of their homes and made to dig up their dead so the Tryweryn valley could be flooded to provide water for Merseyside?

What’s “a lot” to you?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 15 Jun 2020, 5:12 pm

No, you're not. Personally think this is absurd, but understandable in circumstances. Officialdom have to be seen to be doing something, even if it's patently nonsensical.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 15 Jun 2020, 5:13 pm

Steffan wrote:Apparently a lot of English think we should be celebrating British history a lot more instead of hiding it. Ok cool. What shall we remember today:

No; one would hope not and perhaps should be part of much wider discussions. But it's a little bit 'whataboutery' re. this actual topic.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 16 Jun 2020, 1:23 am

So the first piece of actual legislation to come from all of this looks like it'll protect statues and not human beings.

Good stuff.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 16 Jun 2020, 5:56 am

Pr4wn wrote:So the first piece of actual legislation to come from all of this looks like it'll protect statues and not human beings.

Good stuff.

The new commission to investigate racial inequalities in the UK is being headed up by Munira Mirza, a No 10 advisor who has never believed in institutional racism and has condemned past investigations as fostering a “culture of grievance”. Her first member appears to be Trevor Phillips, a man suspended by the Labour party for islamophobic comments.

Might aswell not bother.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 16 Jun 2020, 9:14 am

Samo wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:So the first piece of actual legislation to come from all of this looks like it'll protect statues and not human beings.

Good stuff.

The new commission to investigate racial inequalities in the UK is being headed up by Munira Mirza, a No 10 advisor who has never believed in institutional racism and has condemned past investigations as fostering a “culture of grievance”. Her first member appears to be Trevor Phillips, a man suspended by the Labour party for islamophobic comments.

Might aswell not bother.
The plan was announced by Johnson in a Telegraph comment piece which was largely about statues with a small add on about race.

Johnson spouting drivel as usual about how he'd "resist with every breath" any attempts to removed the Churchill statue. Of course he doesn't mention that I've not seen a single call for that to happen. Playing to his base and distracting from the point.

He also mentioned that he was "dubious of the growing campaign to edit or Photoshop the entire cultural landscape". Once again failing to acknowledge that is what has happened for generations with regards to large parts of Colonialism and black British history due to school curriculum.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 16 Jun 2020, 9:43 am

king_carlos wrote:
Samo wrote:

Good stuff.

Might aswell not bother.
The plan was announced by Johnson in a Telegraph comment piece which was largely about statues with a small add on about race.

Johnson spouting drivel as usual about how he'd "resist with every breath" any attempts to removed the Churchill statue. Of course he doesn't mention that I've not seen a single call for that to happen. Playing to his base and distracting from the point.

He also mentioned that he was "dubious of the growing campaign to edit or Photoshop the entire cultural landscape". Once again failing to acknowledge that is what has happened for generations with regards to large parts of Colonialism and black British history due to school curriculum.

Dangerous words given the state of his lungs at the moment.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 16 Jun 2020, 10:30 am

king_carlos wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Goodness.
Sums up the protests on Saturday. The only thing that protesters such as them are usually sure of is that they are angry. Once you ask a question or two about why the facade usually breaks down and it becomes clear that their anger is actually nothing to do with statues, BLM protests, immigration, etc. Their anger is actually about a system of wealth inequality that sees too large a proportion of our society left behind. Largely due to intentionally misinforming reporting from several major papers that anger is usually directed in completely the wrong place though.

Just saw a photo of a group of “lads” “defending” the George Eliot statue in Nuneaton.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 16 Jun 2020, 10:34 am

They were clearly never forced to read Silas Marner at school.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 16 Jun 2020, 1:40 pm

Samo wrote:

Good stuff.

Might aswell not bother.
For Heaven's sake, give them a chance. That's only two people, and both from BAME backgrounds.

Re. Phillips, this would be same man appointed by Blair as head of the Commission for Racial Equality? This would be same Labour Party that dealt so well w/ anti-Semitism?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next