The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer 2020 tennis news

Go down

Summer 2020 tennis news Empty Summer 2020 tennis news

Post by MrInvisible on Sat 06 Jun 2020, 11:12 pm

So, in a parallel Covid-19 free universe we'd be digesting the women's French Open final this evening which no doubt would have seen an unknown newbie taking on Halep. We'd also have been debating if this year could finally be Thiem's year to accomplish mission impossible in beat Nadal in tomorrow's final.

As it is, we're stuck in a seemingly never-ending loop of non-stop Covid-19 news with little in the way of the usual enjoyable distractions that sport provides. However, there are finally some stirrings of activity in professional sport, and the powers that be in tennis are starting to plan a return to the ATP tour.

The US Open is looking to make a decision later this month on whether to go ahead or not from 31st August. So far though, both Nadal and Djokovic have been less than enthusiastic, though for slightly different reasons, Nadal sounding caution that many players may not feel safe and that it might be premature to go ahead at this stage, whilst Djokovic was unhappy with the adaptations the tournament would have to make in order to take place and how these would affect players (staying in hotels at airport, only 1 member of player's staff allowed access to the tournament) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/52950195

To be honest it doesn't look hopeful, but the US Open is the most commercial out of all the slams and maybe they do find a way of getting the tournament to run.

When things do return, which players do you think will benefit/lose out the most? It's clearly going to be a disjointed year on the tour and players may not get the time to build form over a number of weeks during different tournaments as they normally do, so who knows, maybe we get a surprise/1st time winner at US Open and/or the reschedule French Open in the Autumn.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Summer 2020 tennis news Empty Re: Summer 2020 tennis news

Post by MrInvisible on Thu 11 Jun 2020, 1:44 pm

With Federer out for rest of year, and neither Nadal or Djokovic looking keen on participating at US Open, this could provide real opportunity for someone else to step up, assuming it does go ahead - over to you Mr Thiem...

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie on Fri 12 Jun 2020, 1:09 pm

The following is an example of dreadful journalism:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jun/10/roger-federer-will-miss-the-rest-of-2020-after-further-knee-surgery

I tried reading it but it seems more like an English student submission practising their purple prose. I'll be interested in what others think especially if they were former reporters / writers themselves.

So Federer's surgery was that in February and I assume either that it hasn't healed as well as hoped or that Federer doesn't want to risk it by training towards end of year tournaments that might not even happen. Federer is at an age where most other people would have been long retired.

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem on Fri 12 Jun 2020, 1:20 pm

Kevin Mitchell is and always has been a very fine journalist.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Thu 18 Jun 2020, 4:08 am

"Also, we could bring one person to the club which is really impossible."
What a primadonna comment, from Djokovic as it happens although honestly probably half the top players feel the same way. it's the same for everyone.

Personally I think the European players would be more responsible in not going to the US this year and focusing on playing the French Open instead.

Calendar announced for second half of August and September:
https://www.atptour.com/en/news/atp-issues-revised-calendar-for-tour-resumption-17-june-2020

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem on Mon 22 Jun 2020, 7:08 pm

Djokovic can't win without his special helpers so it's hardly a surprise, recent events in Croatia make him look even more idiotic than before which I didn't believe possible.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Just John on Tue 23 Jun 2020, 2:51 pm

Djokovic, unsurprisingly, tests positive for Corona. Idiotic, and possible long term issues lay ahead for those who have contracted the virus.

Just John

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Tue 23 Jun 2020, 5:06 pm

Djokovic is an utter tool. Hopefully contracting Covid-19 will have taught him a valuable lesson.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Thu 25 Jun 2020, 5:25 pm

The Djoko-inspired matches, with FOUR THOUSAND spectators, FFS, were unnecessary at best and reckless at worst.

Yes, Dimi acted irresponsibly but the whole thing should not have gone ahead.

More happily, Murray seems to be going along nicely even though he lost to Kyle yesterday.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 2:39 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/tennis/52999983

Just seen that BBC are doing some radio and text coverage of the 'Battle of the Brits' charity tournament - Evans currently looking to level things up at 1 set all in the semi-final. Any idea if there's any way of seeing this tournament live?

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 5:04 pm

^ Amazon Prime video

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Sun 28 Jun 2020, 12:18 pm

Murray has pulled out of today's 3rd/4th place match with a shin injury.

Probably just a precaution. he's said he's very pleased with his progress this week and he's had some good match play.

It's good that GB has three fine players capable of matching Murray at the moment.

Meanwhile, the Djoko thing rumbles on with most saying/thinking that the world number one has been a very silly boy.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible on Sat 04 Jul 2020, 11:20 am

Anyone been watching the BBC's Wimbledon stuff on IPlayer? I quite like that they're putting some classic matches on though I'm not sure the live coverage of presenters sitting on the media terrace of an empty All England Club is worth the effort nor the gimmicks like Tim Henman and Annabel Croft trying to hit tennis balls into a wheelie bin.

There is though some good archive stuff - really enjoyed the contrast in styles between Agassi and Ivanisevic for 1992 final, and it was great seeing Lori McNeil doing all the netrushing when she beat Graf in 1st round (1994 or 1995?). Nadal v Federer 2008 final is on - though I saw the nice documentary on this on last year. Any Wimbledon matches from the archives anyone really wants to see? Here's a few I'd like them to put on:

Henin v Mauresmo final 2006 - a rarity in the modern-era for womens' tennis in that both players were doing classic grass-court tennis with lots of net play, even serve-volley and at a high quality too.

Coverage of 2013 tournament - featured Murray's historic title but also Lisicki's run in the womens' and the early shocks to Federer and Nadal in the mens' in what was a pretty fun and memorable tournament.

Vintage Rod Laver footage, given his achievements on completing the grand slam

Any Nastase matches

Matches from the Borg/Connors/McEnroe era (but not just that tie-break from Borg-McEnroe)

Anything from late 1980s - giving away my age here but this is when I first started watching Wimbledon as a kid, and I have fond memories of match-ups between Edberg, Becker, Lendl (and Cash!) on what I think was a fine era for tennis - good rivalries, unpredictable and still plenty of serve-volley.

The full mens' final from last year - I missed the 1st half due to kids' birthday party and then in latter stages found it difficult to watch because of the tension, and the cricket World Cup final being on at same time.

Come on Beeb, less time of Sue Barker looking down on an empty Championships and more time dipping into those valuable archive vaults!

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum