The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS SUSSEX BOB WILLIS TROPHY

+4
thegooch7
James100
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SURREY VS SUSSEX BOB WILLIS TROPHY  - Page 2 Empty SURREY VS SUSSEX BOB WILLIS TROPHY

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 06 Sep 2020, 2:54 am

First topic message reminder :

SURREY HAVE NAMED A 13 MAN SQUAD THAT WILL GO INTO THE FINAL BOB WILLIS TROPHY GAME OF THE SEASON AGAINST SUSSEX AT THE KIA OVAL THIS SUNDAY.
Jamie Overton could be in line to play his red-ball match for Surrey, while Laurie Evans misses out due to an agreement between Surrey & Sussex. Rolling Eyes
Club captain Rory Burns will play his first four-day game of the season for Surrey after playing all six home Test matches this summer.
Worcestershire seamer Adam Finch is back with Surrey after impressing against Essex & Kent earlier this season.  OK  Jack Plom, another England U19s seamer, joins on loan from Essex for this match.  picard
Sam Curran, Tom Curran & Jason Roy remain with England for the ongoing white-ball series with Australia.
Jade Dernbach is absent with a groin injury. All-rounders Jordan Clark (foot and ankle) and Rikki Clarke (hip) are out. Nick Kimber (knee) and Liam Plunkett (hamstring) are also out of contention for this match. Doh
Conor McKerr (knee), Morne Morkel (ankle), Ryan Patel (knee) & Ollie Pope (shoulder) are out for the rest of the season.  Sad  Sad
There is no place in the squad for Gus Atkinson or Matthew Dunn  Headscratch
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (c)
Hashim Amla
Scott Borthwick
Adam Finch
Ben Foakes
Will Jacks
Daniel Moriarty
Jamie Overton
Jack Plom
Jamie Smith
Mark Stoneman
James Taylor
Amar Virdi
Probably Moriarty and Taylor to miss out or maybe Borthwick leaving Jacks to be the 5th bowler hard to call this one.
As i said on the general thread the plom loan deal is ridiculous why are we not playing Atkinson or Dunn  Headscratch
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Sun 06 Sep 2020, 12:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SUSSEX BOB WILLIS TROPHY  - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS SUSSEX BOB WILLIS TROPHY

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 Sep 2020, 4:42 pm

Moriarty 4 overs 3 wkts for 34 runs Erm

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SUSSEX BOB WILLIS TROPHY  - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS SUSSEX BOB WILLIS TROPHY

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 Sep 2020, 4:49 pm

Sussex 47 for 5 Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 Sep 2020, 5:02 pm

Sussex 85 ahead 4 wkts left can we dream?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 Sep 2020, 5:07 pm

86 ahead 3 wkts left Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 08 Sep 2020, 5:11 pm

Blimey, what's going on 59-7

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 Sep 2020, 5:22 pm

5 wkts for Moriarty Very Happy clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 Sep 2020, 5:23 pm

89 ahead 2 wkts left

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 Sep 2020, 5:38 pm

Meaker with a point to prove Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 08 Sep 2020, 5:48 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Meaker with a point to prove Sad

He's doing well.

Slow spinning wicket as planned. The one thing we gambled on and lost was our not having to bat last on it. Reckon we should still be ok. Virdi and Moriarty are a class above anything spinwise that Sussex have to offer. Ours to lose - but that doesn't mean we won't! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 Sep 2020, 6:09 pm

1 wkt left lead now 129

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 Sep 2020, 6:21 pm

Stumps Sussex with a lead of 136

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 08 Sep 2020, 6:55 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Stumps Sussex with a lead of 136  

A bit frustrating that Meaks got a few and is still there but we're still in a much, much better position that we could have expected yesterday. Today was moving day for sure.

At risk of a mega jinx, I'm pretty confident we'll win. It's a slow spinning wicket and Sussex don't have the bowlers to match what Virdi and Moriarty have achieved. Add to that, we've got some proper batsmen who can go at the pace they choose which hopefully means our appalling tail won't be needed. Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 09 Sep 2020, 12:00 pm

Surrey currently 56/2 needing exactly 100 more.
Borthwick and Amla gone but Burns still there and pushing on against Carson and Rawlings. I’m still fairly confident of the win. The Sussex spinners are unlikely to be tight or canny enough.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 09 Sep 2020, 12:06 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Surrey currently 56/2 needing exactly 100 more.
Borthwick and Amla gone bit Burns still there and pushing on against Carson and Rawlings. I’m still fairly confident of the win. The Sussex spinners are unlikely to be tight or canny enough.

With Foakes and Jacks to come, and these two in, it should be enough. Liked Amla's approach personally, as with all these small chases I think someone should always look to attack and win the game quickly. Started nicely, but didn't fully come off
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 09 Sep 2020, 12:42 pm

Important runs for Burns, he's got such an idiosyncratic stance that without a proper county season to bed himself, the Summer tests were always going to be a struggle.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 09 Sep 2020, 1:47 pm

No doubt you will win in the end but Surrey seem to enjoy giving you chaps a few anxious moments before the finish Smile

Four out now ? One more and into the tail ?

devil

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 09 Sep 2020, 2:15 pm

Can't have been many Surrey wins when they've conceded 400+ first innings for a while Guildford/Jimbob?

Jacks over 100 runs in the game unbeaten clap
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 09 Sep 2020, 2:23 pm

Well done to the spin twins, so much better than played 5 lost 5, a few other good batting performances as well, onwards and upwards from here, if we ever get back to normal

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 09 Sep 2020, 2:33 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Can't have been many Surrey wins when they've conceded 400+ first innings for a while Guildford/Jimbob?

Jacks over 100 runs in the game unbeaten clap

Olly - don't when it was before today but not many teams do that in the 4 day game.

As well as Jacks' own runs, his first dig partnership of 112 for the 7th wicket with Overton was very significant.

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Wed 09 Sep 2020, 10:23 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Can't have been many Surrey wins when they've conceded 400+ first innings for a while

With thanks to Surrey's social media Sussex's total of 415 was the highest Surrey have conceded in a match they won since 1947.

Having looked into this further there were a number of similarities between the most recent win and that victory in 1947 which was against Warwickshire at Coventry. On each occasion the opposition batted first and their innings featured a sole centurion, Tom Haines in 2020 and James Ord in 1947. In each game Surrey conceded a first innings lead but their captain scored a century, Rory Burns in 2020 and Errol Holmes in 1947. Surrey then bowled out their opponents for less than 150 using only three bowlers and knocked off the required total for the loss of four wickets.

Warwickshire 443 (Ord 125) and 111 (A Bedser 5 for 51), Surrey 344 (Holmes 107 not out) and 211 for 4 (Fishlock 96 not out).

Voice of the Beehive

guildfordbat and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 09 Sep 2020, 11:28 pm

Voice of the Beehive wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Can't have been many Surrey wins when they've conceded 400+ first innings for a while

With thanks to Surrey's social media Sussex's total of 415 was the highest Surrey have conceded in a match they won since 1947.

Having looked into this further there were a number of similarities between the most recent win and that victory in 1947 which was against Warwickshire at Coventry. On each occasion the opposition batted first and their innings featured a sole centurion, Tom Haines in 2020 and James Ord in 1947. In each game Surrey conceded a first innings lead but their captain scored a century, Rory Burns in 2020 and Errol Holmes in 1947. Surrey then bowled out their opponents for less than 150 using only three bowlers and knocked off the required total for the loss of four wickets.

Warwickshire 443 (Ord 125) and 111 (A Bedser 5 for 51), Surrey 344 (Holmes 107 not out) and 211 for 4 (Fishlock 96 not out).

Beehive - brilliant research there. Before any of the young jokers here ask, - no, I wasn't at the 1947 game!

I did see county cricket at Coventry though, the old Courtaulds ground. Back then large employers across the land had some great local sports grounds and really cared for them. Think it was 1971. Warks v Northants. Big hitting England batsman Colin Milburn was hoping to play for Northants for the first time following his car accident in which he lost an eye and damaged the other but unfortunately for me and him had to drop out with some minor injury before the start.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 10 Sep 2020, 1:09 am

excellent win Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo never in doubt
Open the bar Corporal Sad Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2