The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE/KENT T20 VITALITY BLAST

5 posters

Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE/KENT T20 VITALITY BLAST Empty SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE/KENT T20 VITALITY BLAST

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 17 Sep 2020, 6:50 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED A 14-MAN SQUAD TO TRAVEL TO THE AGEAS BOWL TO FACE HAMPSHIRE IN THE VITALITY BLAST.
Jason Roy is named in the squad after the conclusion of England’s white ball series with Australia while Laurie Evans returns after being ineligible for Wednesday’s victory over Sussex. Very Happy
Hashim Amla is out of this fixture with a mild calf strain & Gareth Batty with a hamstring strain.  Sad  Sad  Sad
Sam Curran & Tom Curran will both travel straight to the Indian Premier League. kerching
Jade Dernbach is still absent with a groin injury and all-rounder Jordan Clark with foot and ankle injuries.
FULL SQUAD:
Gus Atkinson
Scott Borthwick
Rory Burns
Rikki Clarke
Matt Dunn
Laurie Evans
Ben Foakes
Will Jacks
Daniel Moriarty
Jamie Overton
Liam Plunkett
Jason Roy
Jamie Smith
Reece Topley
Hopefully the injury to Amla isn't that serious  Fingers Crossed  
Right Borthwick and Dunn to share drink duties (to be fair no point naming them in the squads anymore)
So I would imagine it will come down to either Atkinson or Smith to miss out , the thing that might help Atkinson is Overton probably wont bowl and with that i would expect young Jamie to be 12th man.
Over to you chaps  thumbsup
Feel free jimbohammers to put any Hampshire squad news up  Hug

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Sat 19 Sep 2020, 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE/KENT T20 VITALITY BLAST Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE/KENT T20 VITALITY BLAST

Post by guildfordbat Thu 17 Sep 2020, 8:23 pm

Thanks, JimBob. Loved the kerching! Laugh

I agree with you about Atkinson or Smith dropping out along with the crocked Amla to get Evans and Roy back in. Tight call but I think it might be Atkinson with the drinks. Counting Jacks who is bowling regularly now and Overton who isn't (!), that still allows us 6 bowlers.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE/KENT T20 VITALITY BLAST Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE/KENT T20 VITALITY BLAST

Post by jimbohammers Fri 18 Sep 2020, 9:26 am

Morning guys.

Well we've lost 5 on the spin and have been an absolute shambles. No effort, same team selection, terrible tactics...
How the coach is still there i don't know. Maybe they're waiting for us to lose these next 2 games and then will do it.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2020, 1:51 pm

Surrey win toss and bowl.

Slightly surprisingly it's Clarke who joins Borthwick and Dunn on drinks duty.

Jimbo - not sounding too great for your guys.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2020, 2:34 pm

To add to the problems for Jimbo’s boys, several Hants players including Northeast and Crane missing today as they are having to self isolate.

Good start by Surrey. Hants 54/4 off 9. A couple for Moriarty.

Btw, liked Liam Dawson with Churchy on comms earlier. He was very positive about Overton.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2020, 2:51 pm

Another good return from Moriarty. 2/19 off his 4, all on the reel.

Hants 88/4 off 14. The hosts coming back into it a bit ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2020, 3:07 pm

At last - JOve's maiden wicket for Surrey! Yahoo Like a striker ending a barren period with a goal off his backside, Fuller clips the ball away but slips back and into the stumps for a hit wicket. Shocked

Anyway, more genuine wickets to follow.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 18 Sep 2020, 3:22 pm

Is it wrong of me to be still annoyed about Rikki being left out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2020, 3:23 pm

Hants 138/8 off their 20.

Terrific 19th over from Topley, taking 3 wickets for one run. He's been quietly impressive, regularly bowling 2 upfront and 2 at the death.

Holland with a handy half-ton which increased in speed as he went on to keep Hants in with a small chance. But it really should be ours to lose from here ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2020, 3:26 pm

Btw, clap to those Surrey supporters who booked into the hotel on-site so they could watch the game from their rooms.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2020, 3:45 pm

Roy's struggles continue. Out for 6 caught at mid off off occasional slowie Organ. Shot lacked conviction.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 18 Sep 2020, 4:21 pm

Another great all round t20 display as Jacks and Evans complete 50s.... I'm really struggling to find anything to moan about

thegooch7

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2020, 4:37 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Another great all round t20 display as Jacks and Evans complete 50s.... I'm really struggling to find anything to moan about

You will, Goochie, you will! Wink

But maybe not today. A very comfortable win by 9 wickets and with more than 4 overs in hand. Several very good individual contributions. Not least Jacks who delivered with bat and ball.

I go along with Jimbo H's post the other week about Dan Moriarty having a touch of Danny Briggs about him. Not a prolific spinner of the ball but confident in his own ability and prepared to mix it up.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 18 Sep 2020, 4:37 pm

Do we definitely have to win the the last game for a home tie?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Sep 2020, 5:55 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Do we definitely have to win the the last game for a home tie?

That’s probably one for Olly. My guess would be not mathematically definite yet but in reality, yes, a home qf.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 18 Sep 2020, 6:29 pm

We were as pathetic as i expected us to be! Crane, Northeast and McManus would have all played but wouldn't have made any difference to the result.
6 defeats on the spin in a format we usually do well in!
Anyway congrats on the win guys

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 19 Sep 2020, 5:47 pm

Unchanged squad for Kent , would assume that Rikki will be the 12th man again.

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Sep 2020, 6:39 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Unchanged squad for Kent , would assume that Rikki will be the 12th man again.

Hi JimBob - yeah, I'll go with that although probably a tight call between Rikki and Gus.

Our bowlers will need to be on the money against a likely Kent top 5 of Crawley, Bell-Drummond, Denly, Kuhn and Billings.

Game being shown on Sky.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 20 Sep 2020, 12:44 pm

Atkinson and Foakes miss out (glute strain) oh yeah
Clarke and Dunn replace them with Smith getting the Gloves.
Have to say the decision to replace foakes with Dunn instead of Bortwick is madness. Headscratch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 20 Sep 2020, 1:17 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Atkinson and Foakes miss out (glute strain)  oh yeah
Clarke and Dunn replace them with Smith getting the Gloves.
Have to say the decision to replace foakes with Dunn instead of Bortwick is madness. Headscratch

Hi JimBob - I'll just say a slightly surprising decision. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 20 Sep 2020, 1:37 pm

Kent 75/2 off 11.

Pretty even, I reckon ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 20 Sep 2020, 1:41 pm

Another useful 4 over spell on the reel from Moriarty. 1/27.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 20 Sep 2020, 1:43 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Kent 75/2 off 11.

Pretty even, I reckon ....
you know my thoughts Wink

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 20 Sep 2020, 1:55 pm

All possible 7 bowlers being used by Surrey.

Just to add on Moriarty - he gets through his overs quickly. Yeah, I know he should at his pace and with just a few short strides but what I mean is there's no faffing about. Gets on with it and doesn't allow the batsman to look around too much and get comfortable.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 20 Sep 2020, 2:04 pm

Denly goes to a Topley / Smith combo. Think that was planned. Low and wide off off peg well taken by the stand-in keeper.

Then Blake caught by Burns following a chip off Plunkett.

Cuurently 142/4 off 17.

Think Surrey's 5th bowler will be a 4 over combo from Dunn (2) plus 1 each from JOve and Clarke. Clarke's deliveries were slow - not sure if that was more injury related than deliberate.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 20 Sep 2020, 2:31 pm

Dunn was actually brought back for a 3rd over and got a couple of wickets. That justified the decision although I'm still surprised Plunkett only had 3 overs (3/19).

Kent finish on 159/8. Game probably evenly poised at the halfway stage.

Rob Key reckons even if we lose, we'll top the group if we get about 127.

Btw, very mixed comms from Sky. I always like Key and, unlike some, am fine with Knight but can never warm to Butcher who doesn't know his stuff well enough. As for the female commentator, I assume she won a competition to have a go behind the microphone! Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 20 Sep 2020, 3:09 pm

JimBob - if you're watching on Sky, that was Nico Reifer in the green high viz top chatting to Burnsy a minute ago. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 20 Sep 2020, 3:23 pm

128/1. That get us a home qf whatever happens from here although Evans and Roy seem to be coasting it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 20 Sep 2020, 3:46 pm

Comfortable 6 wicket win with more than an over to spare. 70s from Roy and Evans. Good to see Roy finally finding some form whilst Evans is looking a very good signing in this format.

That's 7 wins on the bounce. Need 3 more .... Fingers Crossed

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 20 Sep 2020, 3:57 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
As for the female commentator, I assume she won a competition to have a go behind the microphone! Rolling Eyes
Laugh Laugh Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 20 Sep 2020, 3:58 pm

Kent at home in the quarter finals making a mockery of this tournament Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 20 Sep 2020, 4:36 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Kent at home in the quarter finals making a mockery of this tournament Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't worry about it, JimBob - if they and us get to finals day, that's one team we should be confident of beating. thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 20 Sep 2020, 4:44 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:Kent at home in the quarter finals making a mockery of this tournament Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't worry about it, JimBob - if they and us get to finals day, that's one team we should be confident of beating. thumbsup
How can we both get there, what have you been smoking Guildford Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 20 Sep 2020, 5:18 pm

Sorry, JimBob. I thought you meant that Kent had also been given a home tie against someone else.

It does seem mighty odd that we don't get a team from one of the other groups. Oh well, we should be confident of knocking 'em over again.

Going to be tricky narrowing it down to eleven if some of our top crocks are back from injury. Can't see Foakes getting back in for sure. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 21 Sep 2020, 3:27 pm

How many balls did Jason Roy face against Kent, and what was the result, Guildford? Very Happy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 21 Sep 2020, 4:42 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:How many balls did Jason Roy face against Kent, and what was the result, Guildford? Very Happy

52 as you ask, Olly, and not dismissed until into the 17th over. All part of Stewie's masterplan - if Roy bats a dozen overs, we win. Simples. Wink

That said, Evans' 73 off 45 was even more significant. And that's before we get into Dunn replacing Foakes, eh JimBob?! laughing

PS That was absolute b*ll*cks from me yesterday about Plunkett only bowling 3 overs. 3/19 off 4 as it turned out was some going. Anyway, apologies. The Buds must have mucked up my counting! Ale

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down