The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ECC Quarter Finals - and beyond?

+2
LeinsterFan4life
mikey_dragon
6 posters

Go down

ECC Quarter Finals - and beyond? Empty ECC Quarter Finals - and beyond?

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:36 am

I thought I would set up a thread for this where anyone can come in and discuss the games. Despite the pool stages sometimes lacking energy, the knock-out stages provide some big clashes.

One down so far.

Bristol 56 - 17 Dragons

Bristol: Charles Piutau; Luke Morahan, Semi Radradra, Piers O'Conor, Henry Purdy; Callum Sheedy, Andy Uren; Jake Woolmore, Harry Thacker, Kyle Sinckler, Dave Attwood, Chris Vui, Steven Luatua (capt), Ben Earl, Nathan Hughes.

Replacements: Will Capon, Yann Thomas, John Afoa, Joe Joyce, Dan Thomas, Harry Randall, Max Malins, Alapati Leiua.

Dragons: Jordan Williams; Jonah Holmes, Nick Tompkins, Jamie Roberts, Ashton Hewitt; Sam Davies, Rhodri Williams (capt); Brok Harris, Elliot Dee, Leon Brown, Joe Davies, Matthew Screech, Aaron Wainwright, Harrison Keddie, Ross Moriarty.

Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Josh Reynolds, Lloyd Fairbrother, Joe Maksymiw, Taine Basham, Luke Baldwin, Josh Lewis, Adam Warren.

Bristol will face one of the following in the QF:
Bordeaux-Begles vs Edinburgh

Bordeaux: Ducuing, Cordero, Dubie, Seuteni, Lam, Jalibert, Lesgourgues; Poirot, Maynadier, Cobilas, Douglas, Marais, Diaby, Petti, Tauleigne.

Replacements: Dweba, Kaulashvili, Tameifuna, Cazeaux, Woki, Lucu, Botica, Uberti.

Edinburgh: Kinghorn, Graham, Johnstone, Taylor, Hoyland, van der Walt, Shiel; Schoeman, McInally, Berghan, Toolis, Gilchrist, Ritchie, Watson, Mata.

Replacements: Willemse, Sutherland, McCallum, Davidson, Bradbury, Haining, Nutton, Dean.

Toulon vs Scarlets

Toulon: Daniel Ikpefan; Masivesi Dakuwaqa, Bryce Heem, Duncan Paia'aua, Gabin Villiere; Baptiste Serin, Sonatane Takulua; Jean-Baptiste Gros, Anthony Etrillard (capt), Beka Gigashvili, Swan Rebbadj, Romain Taofifenua, Charles Ollivon, Raphael Lakafia, Sergio Parisse.

Replacements: Bastien Soury, Florian Fresia, Emerick Setiano, Erwan Dridi, Brian Alainu'uese, Julien Ory, Louis Carbonel, Facundo Isa.

Scarlets: Leigh Halfpenny; Johnny McNicholl, Steff Hughes, Johnny Williams, Steff Evans; Dan Jones, Gareth Davies; Wyn Jones, Ken Owens (capt), Samson Lee, Jake Ball, Sam Lousi, Blade Thomson, Josh Macleod, Sione Kalamafoni.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Phil Price, Javan Sebastian, Lewis Rawlins, James Davies, Kieran Hardy, Angus O'Brien, Tyler Morgan.

Leicester Tigers vs Castres

Leicester: Steward; Murimurivalu, Taute, Scott, Nadolo; Ford, B Youngs; Genge, T Youngs (capt), Cole, Lavanini, Green, Wells, Reffell, Liebenberg

Replacements: Clare, Gigena, Leatigaga, Taufua, Wallace, White, Henry, Potter

Castres: Dumora; Palis, Combezou, Vialelle, Nakosi; Urdapilleta, Kockott (capt); Tichit, Barlot, Tierney, Pieterse, N'Kinsi, Delaporte, Kornath, Ardron.

Replacements: Colonna, Nostadt, Hounkpatin, Clerc, Babillot, Vaipulu, Guillemin, Botitu

Last edited by mikey_dragon on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

ECC Quarter Finals - and beyond? Empty Re: ECC Quarter Finals - and beyond?

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:39 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54149427 BBC match report for last night's game.

My standout for Bristol - Thacker, Earl, Sheedy, Radrada - all very good.

My standout for Dragons - I can only pick one and it's Hewitt, good all-round winger and has some individual brilliance. Basham was good in his brief cameo.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:53 am

mikey_dragon wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54149427 BBC match report for last night's game.

My standout for Bristol - Thacker, Earl, Sheedy, Radrada - all very good.

My standout for Dragons - I can only pick one and it's Hewitt, good all-round winger and has some individual brilliance. Basham was good in his brief cameo.
I wouldn't be too disheartened as a Dragons fan, that Bristol team has quite an intimidating lineup now. There were some really good flashes from the Dragons and plenty to build on.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Yes and it wasn't an easy fix for Bristol, I'd say it's been a 3 year journey for them. Along the way they added the likes of Sinckler, Radrada, Charles Piatau and here we are now. Maybe we (Dragons) are at the start, you'd hope so at least.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:25 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Yes and it wasn't an easy fix for Bristol, I'd say it's been a 3 year journey for them. Along the way they added the likes of Sinckler, Radrada, Charles Piatau and here we are now. Maybe we (Dragons) are at the start, you'd hope so at least.
Its not that difficult a fix when you're owned by a billionaire to be fair but they have recruited well. I thought the Dragons looked good with the ball and Roberts was surprisingly decent. Hopefully they get to the knockout stages again next season.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:36 pm

Leicester v Castres cancelled, with Tigers progressing to the semi-final (due to 3 Castres players testing positive for Covid 19).

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:42 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Leicester v Castres cancelled, with Tigers progressing to the semi-final (due to 3 Castres players testing positive for Covid 19).

Just heard that during the Sarries game. Congratulations Leicester on your victory by default!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:07 pm

Toulon 11 - 6 Scarlets. Scarlets had some opportunities to score in the final 10 but blew them all.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:08 am

All,

I have removed a variety of posts from this thread. Some just because it was easier for me to remove a block - so apologies to the good points made.

Any way, we have a situation that needs all of you to help address. I will be writing a separate thread about it so please read and take on board.

It is great that rugby is returning and we have the chance to discuss it, lets try to do that in an adult manner?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:09 am

Hi LT.

Good victory for Tigers on the weekend yes? Have you been targeting this competition? Very Happy

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:13 am

Adults laughing laughing laughing laughing

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:34 am

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:34 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Hi LT.

Good victory for Tigers on the weekend yes? Have you been targeting this competition? Very Happy

Our best performance of the season - and good to see the defence not concede a try.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:58 pm

One of the best 'technical' tackles I've ever seen.

It's right up there with Warburton on Tuilagi.

https://twitter.com/Smallclone_/status/1307426533892591616

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:59 pm

Listening to a podcast where they suggested that Tigers winning the Challange Cup and getting into next year's champions cup would be a disaster for the club as it would result in them not fixing the issues there.

Looking at the three remaining teams if Tigers can beat two of them then maybe they have started to fix it already.

Money must be on Bristol, but anyone part from Tigers can win it. Bristol v Bordeaux should be great match.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:28 pm

Yeah, we should have no chance in this.

Issue with winning it and gaining a back door entry to the Champions Cup is that with the set-up for next season we would have 4 matches against one each of the two Tier 1 sides from Pro 14 and T14. Tough matches we could frankly do without.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:50 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Yeah, we should have no chance in this.

Issue with winning it and gaining a back door entry to the Champions Cup is that with the set-up for next season we would have 4 matches against one each of the two Tier 1 sides from Pro 14 and T14. Tough matches we could frankly do without.

I think the less distractions for Tigers the better next year. It's crazy to think about it but next year's goal must be not finish in the bottom two.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:10 pm

I’m surprised at the Tigers’ recent results, but I expect them to be better next year. Looking at all the squads, Newcastle will probably go back down Sad.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:37 pm

Brendan wrote:Listening to a podcast where they suggested that Tigers winning the Challange Cup and getting into next year's champions cup would be a disaster for the club as it would result in them not fixing the issues there.

Looking at the three remaining teams if Tigers can beat two of them then maybe they have started to fix it already.

Money must be on Bristol, but anyone part from Tigers can win it.  Bristol v Bordeaux should be great match.

Being in the Champions Cup usually represent a significant amount more revenue than Challenge Cup for the club. Challenge Cup games in general aren't as well attended for starters. Given the hit in revenue from covid that's about the only positive in Tigers potentially qualifying for the Champions Cup.

It feels silly to say, but we could actually make the final if the trip to Toulon goes ahead. Toulon without Etzebeth and Belleau (both injured) are a different side. Serin (a brilliant player at scrum-half granted) being picked out of position at 10 ahead of young Louis Carbonel. Their front row options aren't the ridiculous strength they used to be either, given Tigers are strong at prop we might get a few scrum penalties. The Toulon back row is still extremely good it must be said - Ollivon, Lakafia, Isa and Parisse.

Whatever happens in the semi I can't see us coming close to Bristol or Bordeaux unless they fielded a much changed side though. Brizz are flying high and Bordeaux have a lot of good players. Lam and Cordero have got to be one the best wing pairings in the world. Plus they have one the best number 8s around in Beka Gorgadze to come back into that side which defeated Edinburgh.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:09 pm

In Leicester are worrying about Champions Cup involvement imagine how the Dragons must feel at the prospect! It really does put things in perspective - the difference the prospect of relegation makes is massive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down