The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+15
Davie
Shotrock
JAS
Pal Joey
I'm never wrong
westisbest
BlueCoverman
pedro
navyblueshorts
McLaren
superflyweight
beninho
Soul Requiem
super_realist
JuliusHMarx
19 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 12 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 29 Oct 2020, 8:39 am

First topic message reminder :

How have some individuals got to the point where all they do is whinge and moan and complain about other people without any sense of compassion for those less well off than themselves through no fault of their own?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Tue 24 Nov 2020, 10:57 am

super_realist wrote:Apparently XR's latest tactic is to encourage people to take out loans and mortgages and not pay them.  Genius.  Rolling Eyes

Who'd lend them money? Surely time they just remodelled themselves as an anti capitalism doomsday cult instead of hiding behind climate protests.

Not sure of the logic, is it a kind of back handed way of getting back bail out money? Surely no-one is going to take that seriously and screw up their credit rating.

I would rather see a proper and legal approach to addressing the whole issue of the financial crash and the austerity that followed. I STILL think Fred Goodwin and the other heads of institutions that needed bail outs should go to jail.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue 24 Nov 2020, 11:09 am

It is a ludicrous way to get attention. I heard someone from the geoup on the radio yesterday and they are just an embarrassing cult. She had a PhD, but not in anything to do with climate but I've rarely heard one person so unaware of the issues and again she made ridiculous claims which science refutes. As you say, who is going to run the risk of defaulting on a loan or mortgage to make a point.
This group is beyond idiotic.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 24 Nov 2020, 11:55 am

Super how come you come across this group so often. The only time I hear about them is on this site via your posts?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 24 Nov 2020, 11:56 am

McLaren wrote:Super how come you come across this group so often. The only time I hear about them is on this site via your posts?

They're constantly interviewed on radio Mac and I listen to radio virtually all day so hard to avoid them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 24 Nov 2020, 3:57 pm

super_realist wrote:It is a ludicrous way to get attention. I heard someone from the geoup on the radio yesterday and they are just an embarrassing cult. She had a PhD, but not in anything to do with climate but I've rarely heard one person so unaware of the issues and again she made ridiculous claims which science refutes. As you say, who is going to run the risk of defaulting on a loan or mortgage to make a point.

Hmmm I'd probably call it more as "complete lack of perspective" + "childish reaction to the frustration of not getting listened to" rather than complete idiocy. It's like they've taken a point with some validity and bent and twisted it such that a significant proportion of people now actively take exception to what they're saying. Their approach is more likely to be counter productive that persuasive.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 24 Nov 2020, 3:59 pm

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:It is a ludicrous way to get attention. I heard someone from the geoup on the radio yesterday and they are just an embarrassing cult. She had a PhD, but not in anything to do with climate but I've rarely heard one person so unaware of the issues and again she made ridiculous claims which science refutes. As you say, who is going to run the risk of defaulting on a loan or mortgage to make a point.

Hmmm I'd probably call it more as  "complete lack of perspective" + "childish reaction to the frustration of not getting listened to" rather than complete idiocy. It's like they've taken a point with some validity and bent and twisted it such that a significant proportion of people now actively take exception to what they're saying. Their approach is more likely to be counter productive that persuasive.

I'd say they have alienated more people than they convince.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 24 Nov 2020, 4:14 pm

JAS wrote:

Hmmm I'd probably call it more as  "complete lack of perspective" + "childish reaction to the frustration of not getting listened to" rather than complete idiocy. It's like they've taken a point with some validity and bent and twisted it such that a significant proportion of people now actively take exception to what they're saying. Their approach is more likely to be counter productive that persuasive.
So, a fairly typical First World protest movement, then?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 24 Nov 2020, 4:27 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
JAS wrote:

So, a fairly typical First World protest movement, then?

Yep pretty much, I like to do my own research and make up my own mind on that kind of stuff, having the odd debate also helps colour in some knowledge gaps or promotes further research. What doesn't change my mind one iota is people chaining themselves to roads/trees/trains whatever in the name of environmental protection.
Don't get me started on the animal conservation types, they're capable of doing more harm to nature's natural balance of things with their flaky ideas on what needs protecting and what doesn't.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 24 Nov 2020, 4:33 pm

Surprised Jon Snow has never piped up at an XR protest to claim he's never seen so many white people in one place.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 24 Nov 2020, 6:07 pm

When you listen to idiots on YouTube you put a magna carta in your shop window

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-leeds-55057700?__twitter_impression=true

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 24 Nov 2020, 6:37 pm

Here's some bible bashers claiming the same
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-54950773

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 24 Nov 2020, 6:43 pm

Where the hell did this magna carta nonsense come from?  How are peopme so stupid.

Quite like this https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-magna-carta-lockdown-b1760969.html%3famp

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 25 Nov 2020, 9:30 am

Something lighthearted. Got to have some sympathy, but it is funny. Love the way he pleads for the bogey putt to be conceded:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/four-putt-short-viral-video
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 25 Nov 2020, 9:30 am

beninho wrote:Where the hell did this magna carta nonsense come from?  How are peopme so stupid.

Quite like this https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-magna-carta-lockdown-b1760969.html%3famp
There's a lot of silly people out and about.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Nov 2020, 9:41 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Something lighthearted. Got to have some sympathy, but it is funny. Love the way he pleads for the bogey putt to be conceded:

No sympathy at all, he puts in zero effort to holing any of those putts.
The best video I've seen like this is some guy who is putting from about 20 feet for his first ever eagle, it's heading to the heart of the hole when his mate boots it away.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 25 Nov 2020, 10:33 am

Quite looking forward to Supers thoughts on this one.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/25/meghan-markle-duchess-of-sussex-reveals-she-had-miscarriage
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Nov 2020, 10:42 am

Couldn't care less Mac, women have miscarriages all the time.
As long as she doesn't try and use it for self promotion I really don't care.
It's a further example of her not caring about the environment she claims so much to be so concerned about though. Aren't there enough people in the world without another leech coming into the world?
No doubt she'll pump another one out in the next year and probably will write a book on parenting or something.

Are you trying to tell me you care about her miscarriage?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 25 Nov 2020, 10:45 am

super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Something lighthearted. Got to have some sympathy, but it is funny. Love the way he pleads for the bogey putt to be conceded:

No sympathy at all, he puts in zero effort to holing any of those putts.
The best video I've seen like this is some guy who is putting from about 20 feet for his first ever eagle, it's heading to the heart of the hole when his mate boots it away.
Jesus. Just laugh at it for what it is.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 25 Nov 2020, 10:48 am

McLaren wrote:Quite looking forward to Supers thoughts on this one.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/25/meghan-markle-duchess-of-sussex-reveals-she-had-miscarriage
Nope. I don't care either, except insofar as it's unfortunate that women often go through this. Presume the pregnancy wasn't that far advanced? We've had two of them. Didn't pour it all out on social media or the MSM though. Would be interested to know if she was paid for the article.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 25 Nov 2020, 10:49 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:Quite looking forward to Supers thoughts on this one.

Nope. I don't care either, except insofar as it's unfortunate that women often go through this. Presume the pregnancy wasn't that far advanced? We've had two of them. Didn't pour it all out on social media or the MSM though. Would be interested to know if she was paid for the article.

Lack of attention springs to mind. Without meaning to come out across as too callous, who cares?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 25 Nov 2020, 11:46 am

Its actually quite an interesting article. The easy answer is just to say who cares. Its a shame people go for that. It seems to be an article aimed at helping people realise, they are not alone. It talks about the stigma attached to losing a child, even at an early stage and that it is still taboo subject.

Zara Tindal talks bout the support from people saying they had been through it.

beninho

westisbest likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Nov 2020, 11:51 am

When has there ever been a stigma about having a miscarriage?
It's extremely common to have one and I have never ever heard of anyone being looked down upon for having one.
A couple I know had one last weekend and whilst it's sad for them no one would ever hold them responsible for it or think less of them for it happening.

Last edited by super_realist on Wed 25 Nov 2020, 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 25 Nov 2020, 11:53 am

beninho wrote:Its actually quite an interesting article. The easy answer is just to say who cares. Its a shame people go for that. It seems to be an article aimed at helping people realise, they are not alone. It talks about the stigma attached to losing a child, even at an early stage and that it is still taboo subject.

Zara Tindal talks bout the support from people saying they had been through it.  

Sorry but that bold bit is absolute nonsense.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 25 Nov 2020, 11:57 am

Dr Christine Ekechi, of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, said miscarriage remained a taboo subject.

But nameless faceless of the Internet says its not.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:01 pm

You claimed it was a stigma, besides its her opinion. For some people it might be difficult to talk about, for others it isn't.
Whether something is "taboo" or not is entirely subjective, not defined by authority.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:03 pm

That's us all told then Ben, instead of forming my own opinion I'll get others to tell me what to think

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:06 pm

I just said it was interesting. But if 2 single males without kids want to argue the poibt about miscarriages. Then fine.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:08 pm

beninho wrote:I just said it was interesting. But if 2 single males without kids want to argue the poibt about miscarriages. Then fine.

So that precludes people from discussing it?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:08 pm

I know loads of people who have had miscarriages, my own brother and his wife did. My gran had 7.
Certain people might consider there is a taboo around it, some might not. Its not a definitive and is entirely dependent on the person and I don't need to have had children to know that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:08 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:That's us all told then Ben, instead of forming my own opinion I'll get others to tell me what to think

Just a presumption, but I'm guessing the lady mentioned has had more dealings with pregnancy and miscarriages or still births then yourself. But you can think what you want. Maybe listen to the experts aswell.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:10 pm

super_realist wrote:I know loads of people who have had miscarriages, my own brother and his wife did. My gran had 7.
Certain people might consider there is a taboo around it, some might not. Its not a definitive and is entirely dependent on the person and I don't need to have had children to know that.

But for some people it is still a taboo subject. I think thats a pretty reasonable point to make.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:10 pm

beninho wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:That's us all told then Ben, instead of forming my own opinion I'll get others to tell me what to think

Just a presumption, but I'm guessing the lady mentioned has had more dealings with pregnancy and miscarriages or still births then yourself. But you can think what you want. Maybe listen to the experts aswell.

I didn't claim there couldn't be, I said it was subjective.
You seem to think I can't have an opinion on something when you have zero idea of what my experience of it is.
You aren't a politician, but it doesn't stop you expressing a view does it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:11 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:I just said it was interesting. But if 2 single males without kids want to argue the poibt about miscarriages. Then fine.

So that precludes people from discussing it?

You didn't discuss it though. Just made a sweeping statement saying that miscarriages being a taboo subject is nonsense. Which is hard to accept in my view.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:14 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:

I didn't claim there couldn't be, I said it was subjective.
You seem to think I can't have an opinion on something when you have zero idea of what my experience of it is.
You aren't a politician, but it doesn't stop you expressing a view does it?

I think we are basically in the same agreement. That unfortunately it can be a taboo subject and some women will struggle with it. Also for some people the understanding that others, even high profile people have been through it is helpful. I think the point to the article is that asking people if they are ok is not a bad thing.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:16 pm

What sort of person goes through something as disturbing and upsetting as a miscarriage but think "its OK because Woko Ono went through it"?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:20 pm

super_realist wrote:What sort of person goes through something as disturbing and upsetting as a miscarriage but think "its OK because Woko Ono  went through it"?

Do you think think that people don't get support from other people either known or not known? Maybe victims of DA can get strength from reading about people who had been through similar and come out the otherside. Same with addicts, or even people scared to cone out as gay or trans.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:27 pm

I suspect that people get support from people they physically know rather than read about someone they'll never meet in a bloody newspaper and who lives a completely different world. Having known many people go through this none of them were seeking counsel from someone like Woko Ono

Would you look to a celebrity on how to deal with grief, cancer or a broken leg?

Last edited by super_realist on Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:28 pm

beninho wrote:

You mean listen to the experts who share your opinion? Right, thanks for that. Does this preclude you from talking about money?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:32 pm

super_realist wrote:I suspect that people get support from people they physically know rather than read about someone they'll never meet in a bloody newspaper and who lives a completely different world. Having known many people go through this none of them were seeking counsel from someone like Woko Ono

Would you look to a celebrity on how to deal with grief, cancer or a broken leg?

So you don't think things are different outside your bubble? How i would deal with things, or your friends will vary differently to other people in different situations.

I dont think its strange if people get support from someone they don't know. But, thats just me.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:39 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:

You mean listen to the experts who share your opinion? Right, thanks for that. Does this preclude you from talking about money?

Your opinion is that no one feels that miscarriage is a taboo subject to talk about. Even surrealist doesn't think that. Your view is pretty much leftfield on this one.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:42 pm

There is a massive difference between taboo and stigma

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:44 pm

If the general point is that some people might get some comfort from seeing an issue they are affected by getting discussed in public, does anyone disagree?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:46 pm

McLaren wrote:If the general point is that some people might get some comfort from seeing an issue they are affected by getting discussed in public, does anyone disagree?

Realist has already disagreed.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Nov 2020, 1:02 pm

McLaren wrote:If the general point is that some people might get some comfort from seeing an issue they are affected by getting discussed in public, does anyone disagree?

I think that's reasonable but I don't think anyone goes out of their way or feels less grief because some entitled hypocritical brat and generally unpleasant person has suffered the same.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 25 Nov 2020, 1:11 pm

Nothing wrong with that. That may well be a lot of people.

I think saying who cares is a bit of a sh1tty thing to say. Whether you know that person or not, like them or not is irrelevant.

Obviously a very sad thing for anyone to deal with.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Nov 2020, 1:26 pm

westisbest wrote:

Nothing wrong with that. That may well be a lot of people.

I think saying who cares is a bit of a sh1tty thing to say. Whether you know that person or not, like them or not is irrelevant.

Obviously a very sad thing for anyone to deal with.

Hundreds of thousands of people die every day, or have accidents, or get new jobs, or lose jobs, or take up a new hobby. How much time do you waste giving any of them a second thought?
The world is far too big to waste energy on everyone and its not remotely sh1tty to say you don't care because that's exactly what you do with virtually everything in regards to people you don't know, will never know and in most cases have no idea they actually exist.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 25 Nov 2020, 1:37 pm

We’ll agree to disagree.
Just cos you don’t care, doesn’t mean others don’t.

I’m not wasting any energy thinking it’s a sad loss.

I saw the headline and first thing I thought was, that it was sad for them. Not who cares.

That’s your choice. Not mine.

Subject was about a miscarriage, not sure what losing a job has to with it.

Last edited by westisbest on Wed 25 Nov 2020, 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 25 Nov 2020, 1:37 pm

super_realist wrote:

I think that's reasonable but I don't think anyone goes out of their way or feels less grief because some entitled hypocritical brat and generally unpleasant person has suffered the same.

Maybe, just maybe people have different views to you (and me) on sone things. I know its shocking to think.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Nov 2020, 1:38 pm

Saying that's sad isn't caring, it's barely even giving it a thought. It's stating the obvious, but don't pretend you care about it.

If your mate dies, you don't just say, "that's sad" and move on. No one would think that was demonstrating care or empathy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 25 Nov 2020, 1:40 pm

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Maybe, just maybe people have different views to you (and me) on sone things. I know its shocking to think.

Exactly. I think realist struggles to grasp that others have different opinions to him.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next