The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woods Has 5th Back Surgery

+2
Shotrock
McLaren
6 posters

Go down

Woods Has 5th Back Surgery Empty Woods Has 5th Back Surgery

Post by McLaren Wed 20 Jan 2021, 12:27 am

BBC Sport wrote:Tiger Woods has put his season on hold after having back surgery for the fifth time in his career.

The 15-time major winner last played at the PNC Championship in December, where he felt "discomfort" in his back.

A statement on his social media channels said he has had a "procedure to remove a pressurised disc fragment that was pinching his nerve".

Doctors said the surgery was successful but Woods, 45, will miss a number of PGA Tour events.

"I look forward to begin training and am focused on getting back out on Tour," he said.

Woods will miss the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines from 28-31 January - but while he will not play in The Genesis Invitational from 18-21 February either, he will still fulfil his role as tournament host.

Between August 2015 and December 2017, Woods played in just one PGA Tour event, as he was suffering with a back complaint.

He has spinal-fusion surgery in 2017 and after playing 18 PGA Tour events in 2018, he claimed his 15th major with victory at the 2019 Masters.

He then won the Zozo Championship to equal Sam Snead's record of 82 wins on the PGA Tour.

Woods ended 2019 sixth in golf's world rankings but is now 44th.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/55727486

You have to fear for the worst. This is seriously bad news.

At this point can he really expect to return to the top of the game? Or even compete on an occasional basis.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Woods Has 5th Back Surgery Empty Re: Woods Has 5th Back Surgery

Post by Shotrock Wed 20 Jan 2021, 12:26 pm

I agree Mac. Hard to imagine him competing at a high level for any extended period. But, if anyone can defy the odds ...

That said, can't imagine him spending much time on the Sr. Tour when his time comes. I could see him going the route of Sir Nick in that regard.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 20 Jan 2021, 2:18 pm

Do you think he may be kind of addicted to surgery in kind of the same way as some people get addicted to having tattoos?

The thing is that prognosis "disc fragment pinching on nerve" isn't exactly uncommon (I speak from personal experience). Would surgery make mine better? possibly, probably even. Can I afford it? No. Would it make a material difference to my golf swing? Dunno. But then again, its my hobby not my profession. For a top end Professional being at the top demands a fully functional pain & spasm free back through quite an extensive range of movement.  I can kind of understand preferring surgery because another way of managing it would be through painkillers and lets face it, he hasn't got a great track record managing taking painkillers has he?

Overall though, the more surgery he has, the more his body declines with each attempted rehabilitation. Cant help wondering how many more times he'll go round this loop before conceding enough is enough

Last edited by JAS on Wed 20 Jan 2021, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 20 Jan 2021, 3:58 pm

Jas

I don't think he is addicted to surgery I think he has just not accepted that he cannot rectify his back injury. I think if he were being paid by a team like a football player is he would have been retired. It is only because he is an independent contractor that he battles on.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 21 Jan 2021, 12:25 am

Apparently he got the latest injury from cringing on the sofa while watching the HBO documentary.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue 26 Jan 2021, 11:21 am

Well, we know he has an addictive personality - drugs, sex etc - so why not surgery? The time for him to bow out gracefully is long past but there is still time.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 26 Jan 2021, 12:23 pm

LP

I think he might be addicted to competing and that has made him increasingly desperate to solve an injury problem that just maybe can't be solved. No matter how many surgeries he gets.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 26 Jan 2021, 12:41 pm

Don't know if you have the Sky Documentary channel Mac, but there is a two part programme about Tiger. I don't think it's the one about his recovery from back surgery. It might be one with comments from others about Tiger and goes on about all his troubles. I've downloaded it but haven't watched it yet. Just called "Tiger"

Edit: didn't see your other post.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down