The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

+32
Brendan
Welshmushroom
lostinwales
Tramptastic
CaptainHaddock
Dollar Bill
sensisball
nickj
mikey_dragon
Gicater
Anglobraveheart
Mcsweens
TheMildlyFranticLlama
LeinsterFan4life
Kingshu
TJ
Pete330v2
Highland Shaun
formerly known as Sam
tigertattie
RiscaGame
demosthenes
EWT Spoons
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
bsando
EST
George Carlin
NeilyBroon
RDW
BigGee
Hazel Sapling
36 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 6 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 01 Feb 2021, 12:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

A continuation on previous threads discussing the past, the present and the future of Scottish rugby. A dose a day, keeps optimism away

Halfway through a Covid season and not far from the Rainbow cups, both teams are on the precipice of missing out on the top tier in Europe next year. The Rainbow Cup is a well thought out idea of including sides from South Africa, the home to a new Covid variant that vaccines may not work on, with international travel involving several regions of Europe.

Glasgow Squad

LH: Kebble, Bhatti, Lambert
Hooker: F Brown, Turner, Stewart, Matthews,
TH: Z Fagerson, Berghan, Pieretto, McCallum, McQuillan
Locks: Cummings, R Gray, Harley, McDonald, Bain, Bean
Back Row: Wilson, Gordon, M Fagerson, Darge, Dempsey, Miller, G Brown

SH: Price, G Horne, Dobie, Kennedy
FH: Weir, Miotti, P Horne, Thompson
Centres: S Johnson, McDowall, Tuipulotu, Grigg, Fergusson
Back Three: McLean, Forbes, McKay, Cancelliere, Tagive, Steyn, O Smith

Edinburgh Squad

LH: Schoeman, Venter, Grahamslaw
Hooker: McInally, Cherry, McBurney, Harrison
TH: Nel, De Bruin, Atalifo, Williams
Locks: Gilchrist, Toolis, Young, Hodgson, Sykes, Phillips
Back Row: Mata, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, Crosbie, Haining, Boyle, Kunavula, Muncaster

SH: Pyrgos, Vellacott, Shiel
FH: VDW, Chamberlain, Savala
Centres: Lang, Taylor, Bennett, Dean, Johnstone, Venter, Currie, Hutchison
Back Three: Graham, Kinghorn, Hoyland, Blain, Bofelli, Moyano, Immelman, Owsley

Previous Thread
https://www.606v2.com/t69760-the-glasgow-and-edinburgh-general-chat-discussions-are-limited-to-6-people-before-10pm-to-prevent-the-spread-of-jimboish
https://www.606v2.com/t69555-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-24-covid-funtimes?highlight=banter
https://www.606v2.com/t69038-glasgow-and-edinburgh-banter-thread-no-23-new-season-new-thread?highlight=banter

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Tue 27 Jul 2021, 3:58 pm; edited 13 times in total

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by RDW Fri 05 Mar 2021, 9:43 pm

Anglobraveheart wrote:
Mcsweens wrote:Haircut has been banned for 3 games - a 50% reduction after he brought the good biscuits.

A mere 10 years ago Rory Lamont was routinely getting away with

As a former full back, the number of times that I was taken out or clattered in the air when claiming a high kick is more than I can remember.
In Hastings and Lamonts cases, they were both jumping to catch the ball, and in both cases, the players that got a boot in the face were nowhere near competing for the ball.
IMO, it is down to the potential tackler to ensure that he gives the jumping catcher the space in the air to safely catch the ball. In both cases there is the potential for the 'tackler' to take the catcher out in the air.  
So to sum up, that's tough cookie for the tackler if they get too close. The full back or whoever's the catcher is, should be afforded the space to catch if they have to jump. Neither tackler was realistically going to catch the ball, so it is their choice if they want to take the risk and get too close to the catcher in the air.  
That should never have been a red for Hastings.  Unless the laws are changed to protect the jumping catcher, then there is going to be the risk of him landing on his head or neck, out of control from a great height if the tackler decides to barge into him if he is still in the air. The catcher has got to be given space and protected.

I completely agree with all that, particularly as s former fullback also, but I also just can't understand how he managed to flick is boot out as high as he did. I think that's what persuaded the ref - it was just so clumsy.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by RDW Fri 05 Mar 2021, 10:41 pm

So the latest on Jack Dempsey watch - he actually reminds me of a young Ryan Wilson in terms of his physical attributes, although is a bit more athletic. He very much takes after him in sh!thousery though - last night he offered up a hand to help the opposition 10 up off the ground before taking it away last second!

He had a few good impacts in the game but seems to drift in and out - hell do a great carry and offload then you won't see him for 10 minutes.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 06 Mar 2021, 8:02 am

RDW wrote:So the latest on Jack Dempsey watch - he actually reminds me of a young Ryan Wilson in terms of his physical attributes, although is a bit more athletic. He very much takes after him in sh!thousery though - last night he offered up a hand to help the opposition 10 up off the ground before taking it away last second!

He had a few good impacts in the game but seems to drift in and out - hell do a great carry and offload then you won't see him for 10 minutes.

Glasgow love a penalty magnet!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 06 Mar 2021, 2:38 pm

I know it’s been said many times but seriously.... how fat is Nick Grigg?!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 06 Mar 2021, 2:57 pm

I actually thought he looked as if he had shed a few pounds. Still, he cut through the Zebra defence twice.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 06 Mar 2021, 3:01 pm

Weegies did well to come back and get a good win in the end. Fairly error strewn first half and some suspect defending but things improved in the second half. Some nice flashes from Dobie, but I’m not really convinced he’s ready for international rugby yet. I thought Kennedy played well when he came on

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 Mar 2021, 3:08 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:I know it’s been said many times but seriously.... how fat is Nick Grigg?!

He looks to me as if he has lost a few KGs to be honest. I imagine that is why he has not played recently, DW told him to get in shape.

Still he did ok today, made Dobie's try and then scored the winner.

That was a decent BP win from Glasgow, they had to work hard for it and took a few injuries to get it, Brown (on his first start) and Gordon, both look like they may be out for a while.

The old adage that you don't win anything with kids proved true again as a few of the Glasgow youngsters found out that professional rugby is not so easy. Smith and Thompson both got hooked to allow Grigg and Keatley to steady the ship. Still the experience will do them good and hopefully they will learn from it.

Naks still does not look fit, but had to do 70 mins today. He actually showed a few nice touches in the close up stuff, just so long as he did not need to run very far.

Ollie Keeble also did 70 mins, something he rarely does and looked like he could hardly walk off the pitch at the end of it. He had a good game as well, as did Pieretto. You could see the difference when Rae was on, whose only contribution in his 10 min blood substitution, was to knock it on twice. The fact that he did not come on again later probably suggests where DW sees him in the pecking order and why he wanted Berghan to come over.

Mclean had a couple of electric runs and was unlucky not to score, he definitely does look like he has got something.

All in all a decent afternoon's work in Parma for the Warriors.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 06 Mar 2021, 3:35 pm

Edinburgh game cancelled tomorrow due to a covid case in the Benetton camp.

New date tba

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 06 Mar 2021, 6:24 pm

Bernard Laporte insisting that Les Amours Risible be awarded s 28-0 victory.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 06 Mar 2021, 8:26 pm

RDW wrote:
Anglobraveheart wrote:
Mcsweens wrote:Haircut has been banned for 3 games - a 50% reduction after he brought the good biscuits.

As a former full back, the number of times that I was taken out or clattered in the air when claiming a high kick is more than I can remember.
In Hastings and Lamonts cases, they were both jumping to catch the ball, and in both cases, the players that got a boot in the face were nowhere near competing for the ball.
IMO, it is down to the potential tackler to ensure that he gives the jumping catcher the space in the air to safely catch the ball. In both cases there is the potential for the 'tackler' to take the catcher out in the air.  
So to sum up, that's tough cookie for the tackler if they get too close. The full back or whoever's the catcher is, should be afforded the space to catch if they have to jump. Neither tackler was realistically going to catch the ball, so it is their choice if they want to take the risk and get too close to the catcher in the air.  
That should never have been a red for Hastings.  Unless the laws are changed to protect the jumping catcher, then there is going to be the risk of him landing on his head or neck, out of control from a great height if the tackler decides to barge into him if he is still in the air. The catcher has got to be given space and protected.

I completely agree with all that, particularly as s former fullback also, but I also just can't understand how he managed to flick is boot out as high as he did. I think that's what persuaded the ref - it was just so clumsy.

It’s part of the game I’ve never like. I played basketball as a kid along with rugby and in basketball you have to jump higher a lot more times than you do in rugby.

Any of these hair gel wearing backs who say “lifting your leg makes you jump higher” is delusional. Simple physics says that isn’t the case. You simply do not see basketball players jumping like this.

Backs are lifting a knee or a foot to “protect” themselves and it’s just as dangerous as a high tackle and needs stamped out of the game.

Ironically if the catcher goes in the air then they risk getting their legs taken out from under them but they have the law on their side. If they stay on the ground they are open to getting utterly mashed by the chaser so it’s theoretically safer for them to go in the air.

This leg lifting needs penalised out the game also or you risk jumping to catch a ball being outlawed instead
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 06 Mar 2021, 9:27 pm

It's a fair point actually - you lift your leg up when you jump to discourage defenders smashing you in the air. Now that it's been pretty much stamped out, do players even need to do it still? The way you position to catch when you jump, sticking your knee out is natural, not a karate kick.

Hence the red!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sat 06 Mar 2021, 9:46 pm

Very scrappy win for Glasgow, but good minutes for the younger lads who will have gained a lot from that. It was a real shame that Brown took such a nasty knock, hopefully he is ok.

I was really impressed by Cole Forbes, looks like a very tidy footballer.

EST

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 07 Mar 2021, 2:41 pm

Have we just dialed down our expectations for this season to practically zero?

Did the mediocrity of both our teams surprise anyone else? It's the first club season in about 10 years which I haven't followed closely and every time I dip in, it looks like a scheize show.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 07 Mar 2021, 3:31 pm

In all honestly George, its been a season to nothing. There is really nothing to play for othet than euro spots.

From a Glasgow perspective, it has been a good chance for DW to start the long overdue and neglected by his predecessor, job of rebuilding an ageing Glasgow squad.

Both squads though have been totally handcuffed by the the way international call ups have gone on and the stop start nature of the season.

Its been good to get some rugby i suppose, but that is about all you can ssy, other than is good to see some promising kids coming through.

Both teams will get judged somewhat more harshly next season.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Mon 08 Mar 2021, 12:34 am

tigertattie wrote:
RDW wrote:
Anglobraveheart wrote:

It’s part of the game I’ve never like. I played basketball as a kid along with rugby and in basketball you have to jump higher a lot more times than you do in rugby.

Any of these hair gel wearing backs who say “lifting your leg makes you jump higher” is delusional. Simple physics says that isn’t the case. You simply do not see basketball players jumping like this.

Backs are lifting a knee or a foot to “protect” themselves and it’s just as dangerous as a high tackle and needs stamped out of the game.

Ironically if the catcher goes in the air then they risk getting their legs taken out from under them but they have the law on their side. If they stay on the ground they are open to getting utterly mashed by the chaser so it’s theoretically safer for them to go in the air.  

This leg lifting needs penalised out the game also or you risk jumping to catch a ball being outlawed instead
Nah, I completely disagree on this. If you have to jump to catch the ball, you are vulnerable. Just as you are, if you are standing still to catch the ball on the ground.
The catcher has to be protected. If collisions at breakdowns are being viewed differently now, then the catcher, normally a full back needs to be protected too.
Scenario:
Full back standing under a high ball, still. Catches the ball. 0.25 seconds later, a 18 stone tackler running at full tilt, smashes him. The full back has no chance.
Clearing out at rucks is now a careful consideration. The full back is vulnerable standing on the ground, or
jumping in the air to catch, so if the tackler is going to recklessly career into him, then the full back needs to protect himself. It is the tacklers choice to stay safe.
Just as in a tackle in the air, or tackler lifting the player with the ball, then the tackler has a duty to ensure the safety of the player with the ball.
It should be the same when the catcher is in the air. End of.
If the tackler is careering into the catcher, and gets a boot in the chops, then he should have been less reckless. Tough cookie.
Next thing is, we will have players running into the legs of the catcher, and claiming a penalty or card. Like football.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 08 Mar 2021, 12:38 am

George Carlin wrote:Have we just dialed down our expectations for this season to practically zero?

Did the mediocrity of both our teams surprise anyone else? It's the first club season in about 10 years which I haven't followed closely and every time I dip in, it looks like a scheize show.

I suspect most teams are just waiting for Leinster to be crowned Champions then move on to next season.

Biggee is right that Champions Cup is the real issue here, as that will happen when (hopefully) things are a bit more back to normal. Edinburgh's chances in this regard aren't looking good, but there's still confusion on whether we need to finish 3rd or 4th.

Edinburgh are also in the strange position that there's only 2 league games left in the season but we've got 4 to play due to cancelled games. There's a good chance these will be played after the league is decided, and potentially even when there's no Champions Cup to play for as we're so far behind. If that's the case we might as well chuck the kids in and build for next season.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 08 Mar 2021, 10:36 am

Definitely! That would be a great idea.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56319783

Marfo at Leicester now. He really is finding it hard to nail down a club. Still got a few years left in him so you never know, he may end up playing for Scotland again if we have a prop crisis. Would be good to see him back getting regular game time.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 09 Mar 2021, 12:58 pm

https://www.scottishrugby.org/the-official-scottish-rugby-podcast

Dodson was on the SRU Podcast recently and he went into detail about depth at club and international level. He mentioned they're trying to avoid the journeyman type of player now and find talented young foreign players who can fill the gaps left during the international window (McKay and Forbes being obvious examples). He also mentioned that this season is more for blooding youngsters and learning. Good to hear!

I like the way they're doing things to be honest. There seems to be a real emphasis on getting the younger talent through and exposing them to pro and international rugby. He talks a big game because his job title requires him to but he isn't totally wrong. There are lots of reasons to be excited in terms of depth and the future of Glasgow and Edinburgh. I like that he see's Scotland's foreign players as filling gaps until the younger players can step into them rather than a long term project to continue blooding residency qualified players. It highlighted to me just how the system has progressed since Cotter became head coach in 2014.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 09 Mar 2021, 1:30 pm

bsando wrote:https://www.scottishrugby.org/the-official-scottish-rugby-podcast

Dodson was on the SRU Podcast recently and he went into detail about depth at club and international level. He mentioned they're trying to avoid the journeyman type of player now and find talented young foreign players who can fill the gaps left during the international window (McKay and Forbes being obvious examples). He also mentioned that this season is more for blooding youngsters and learning. Good to hear!

I like the way they're doing things to be honest. There seems to be a real emphasis on getting the younger talent through and exposing them to pro and international rugby. He talks a big game because his job title requires him to but he isn't totally wrong. There are lots of reasons to be excited in terms of depth and the future of Glasgow and Edinburgh. I like that he see's Scotland's foreign players as filling gaps until the younger players can step into them rather than a long term project to continue blooding residency qualified players. It highlighted to me just how the system has progressed since Cotter became head coach in 2014.

That's positive Bsando, this year both pro teams were on a hiding to nothing, Glasgow especially who's squad just wasn't anywhere near good enough to accommodate a Covid interrupted season and which has been in need of a re-fresh for some time.

I only wish the emphasis on playing the younger players had started earlier tbh, we wasted half a season with our future sitting in the stand when they could have been getting minutes. I know that's difficult if you are Danny Wilson and you want to bring these young lads through properly and try and win things, but I do feel it was a bit of a missed opportunity and there was a reluctance at the start of the season to accept some short term pain.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 09 Mar 2021, 2:01 pm

Keegan said it, you'll never win anything with kids!

Jsut saying!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 09 Mar 2021, 2:08 pm

You don't win anything with crap seasoned pros either!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 09 Mar 2021, 2:43 pm

tigertattie wrote:Keegan said it, you'll never win anything with kids!

Jsut saying!

We weren't going to win anything anyway!

Not sure we gained much by playing Brandon Thomson over Ross Thomson, Bryce over Smith, or any of our ageing back three over McLean. It's only since we've been pretty much rock bottom in the league that selection process has changed.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 09 Mar 2021, 8:14 pm

Ah well racing 92 it is.

See ya next season
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 10 Mar 2021, 12:10 pm

EST wrote:

Jsut saying!

Not sure we gained much by playing Brandon Thomson over Ross Thomson, Bryce over Smith, or any of our ageing back three over McLean. It's only since we've been pretty much rock bottom in the league that selection process has changed.

That mess up at the start of the year that meant the academy was not available in the Autumn has hampered the season. At the same time, it has forced Wilson to reckon with the difficult decisions to be made in relegating or releasing club stalwarts like P Horne, Fusaro, Seymour and Matawalu. Even Bryce at the time seemed a strange decision, but makes sense looking at how we have structured next years signings.

Near the beginning of the year, I said success would be bringing through five or six young players to the next level whilst getting Champions Cup. We are actually not far off if we beat the Ospreys on Friday.
- Dobie and McLean have moved into the fringes of the Scotland squad, R Thompson has passed P Horne and B Thomson for the second FH spot, G Brown has had a good couple of showings, O Smith has been a mixed bag in limited viewing and Bain has been used less as the year went on. Not sure if I view J Matthews passing Stewart as positive or negative as both have delivered mixed performances. Got several more games to see what we have in O Smith and G Brown to see if we have hit that target.
- In contrast G Thornton was mullered by Nel and not seen again, Nairn fluffed his early opportunity and P Kelly is a trick of the imagination.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 10 Mar 2021, 12:54 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:
EST wrote:

Jsut saying!

That mess up at the start of the year that meant the academy was not available in the Autumn has hampered the season. At the same time, it has forced Wilson to reckon with the difficult decisions to be made in relegating or releasing club stalwarts like P Horne, Fusaro, Seymour and Matawalu. Even Bryce at the time seemed a strange decision, but makes sense looking at how we have structured next years signings.

Near the beginning of the year, I said success would be bringing through five or six young players to the next level whilst getting Champions Cup. We are actually not far off if we beat the Ospreys on Friday.
- Dobie and McLean have moved into the fringes of the Scotland squad, R Thompson has passed P Horne and B Thomson for the second FH spot, G Brown has had a good couple of showings, O Smith has been a mixed bag in limited viewing and Bain has been used less as the year went on. Not sure if I view J Matthews passing Stewart as positive or negative as both have delivered mixed performances. Got several more games to see what we have in O Smith and G Brown to see if we have hit that target.
- In contrast G Thornton was mullered by Nel and not seen again, Nairn fluffed his early opportunity and P Kelly is a trick of the imagination.

I've never quite understood what the mix up was, something about the academy players not coming back in quickly after the first lockdown?

Certainly it's not the end of the world, I can understand why Wilson was hesitant but from the outside it always seemed that this season we'd need as many young players as were good enough to get minutes. If Mclean, Thomson, Dobie, Smith and Brown continue to get good exposure until the end of the season then i'll be pretty happy.

Of the players who haven't pushed their case, I would also add Nicol to the list - don't think he has ever been in a Wilson match day squad.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 10 Mar 2021, 1:09 pm

Nicol is a strange one as is McDowall, Flockhart and to an extent McDonald (number of injury issues).

Nicol got injured early on and was left behind Pieretto and Rae with McQuillan filling in. Nicol is 24 in the summer which is the same as being 20-21 as a back, but it does leave some questions to be asked on whether he will ever be a solid club pro let alone an international.

Don't know what is going on with Flockhart but assuming he is finished with elite rugby judging by G Brown, Darge and Miller all in prime position for next season.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 10 Mar 2021, 1:34 pm

Oof! Miotti added to Glasgow warriors for next season. That’s pretty much a straight swap for Hastings. Good signing! Hope realises there’s no sun in Glasgow though.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 10 Mar 2021, 1:40 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Nicol is a strange one as is McDowall, Flockhart and to an extent McDonald (number of injury issues).

Nicol got injured early on and was left behind Pieretto and Rae with McQuillan filling in. Nicol is 24 in the summer which is the same as being 20-21 as a back, but it does leave some questions to be asked on whether he will ever be a solid club pro let alone an international.

Don't know what is going on with Flockhart but assuming he is finished with elite rugby judging by G Brown, Darge and Miller all in prime position for next season.

Yeah, I had hoped Nicol and McDowall in particular would have pushed on at this stage.  I think Nicol is likely in pole position to be released form the TH roster this season, a real shame considering his potential at youth level. McDowall I hope can still progress, but his career has stalled - a 6'4" ball playing centre with decent pace, we don't produce many of those players so I hope he can kick-start things next year.

Glasgow just announced the signing of Domingo Miotti, a 24yr old fly-half from Argentina.  I did not see that one coming, and presumed we had done our business there given we have Thomson, Weir and Horne to cover.  Looks like Glasgow have also been strongly linked with another Argentinian, a wing called Santiago Cancelliere.  I wonder if this is just a case of mixed messages?

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 10 Mar 2021, 1:53 pm

Gregor Brown has torn his MDC, which Gee will explain is his medial cruciate ligament. Located somewhere in the lower body and used by girly backs when running and turning simultaneously.
Looks like he'll miss the rest of the season.

Let's hope we have signed Dominant Domingo Miotti and not his evil twin Minging Mingo Miotti.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 10 Mar 2021, 3:19 pm

Good explanation Jim, it looked like a sore one for Brown and fortunately he has got plenty of time to work his wsy back.

Good signing for Glasgow, which leaves us with 3 decent FH options for next season, which is kind of what we need. Weir or Thompson could be on the fringes of the Scotland team as well. I expect that means Keatley won't be staying and we won't be seeing Pete Horne at FH any more either, neither of which is a bad thing.

The other news from Scotstoun today is that our long serving MD, Nsthsn Brombys is moving to a new role at the SRU and his podition being filled by the legendary ruck inspector Big Al Kellock, a role that he was always being groomrd for.

NB has been a cracking MD for Glasgow in his 10 years in the job and hopefully will continue his good work with the SRU as director of international commercial operations.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 10 Mar 2021, 8:38 pm

So, next season the rugby club could ( stress could not should as we still need to see if they all live up to expectations) put out a backline of;
9. House Elf (Hornito/Price)
10. Miotti (Meatball/Thompson)
11. Forbes (Nairn)
12. Lord Stafford of Mcdowall (Johnson/Horne)
13. Shona (Seaman/Squiggsy)
14. Titman
15. McKay (Smith)

That is some rebuilding in a very short time. If, a mighty big if, they all come good then it could be a very exciting time for Glasgow fans. Mind you our eastern brethren can look forward to Cockers signing 29 new props.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Mar 2021, 8:49 pm

Don't think it was discussed here but Edinburgh have signed another Saffer prop - a tighthead this time. From Leicester but previously the cheetahs, so good experience.

With both Sutherland and Schoeman likely away with Scotland a lot, Berghan leaving and Nel in a zimmer frame Cockers has obviously identified it as an area needing strengthening.

Doesn't help Scotland's TH depth issues however! Hopefully McCallum can still get gametime.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 10 Mar 2021, 8:57 pm

I've always been impressed by McCallum when he's come on. Cockers is right to be concerned about prop depth with the departures however, so this seems another sound signing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Mar 2021, 8:59 pm

I think McCallum is our best bet for the next cab off the rank for Scotland - he just needs gametime. He's at the age now that props can really kick on.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 11 Mar 2021, 8:29 am

I'm not so sure about McCallum anymore, at one stage I thought he had international potential - but I haven't seen much of late. He was absolutely mullered when playing against Munster a few weeks ago.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 11 Mar 2021, 11:28 am

jimbopip wrote:So, next season the rugby club could ( stress could not should as we still need to see if they all live up to expectations) put out a backline of;
9. House Elf (Hornito/Price)
10. Miotti (Meatball/Thompson)
11. Forbes (Nairn)
12. Lord Stafford of Mcdowall (Johnson/Horne)
13. Shona (Seaman/Squiggsy)
14. Titman
15. McKay (Smith)

That is some rebuilding in a very short time.  If, a mighty big if, they all come good then it could be a very exciting time for Glasgow fans. Mind you our eastern brethren can look forward to Cockers signing 29 new props.

i do love the way this post was ignored then followed by four posts discussing Cocker's latest signing of a saffer prop. Laugh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 11 Mar 2021, 11:54 am

It does explain why Berghan was let go - Cockers said they couldn't afford 2 international props given how often they'd be away, as you then need more players in the squad as cover

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 11 Mar 2021, 12:21 pm

Away from this engrossing, thrilling, endlessly enthralling chatter about how many props Cockers can sign, Glasgow have announced, in a startlingly innovative move, their side for tomorrow night and it only includes four props in the 23, five if you include Squiggsy.

1. Aki Seiuli (24)
2. Grant Stewart (42)
3. Enrique Pieretto (12)
4. James Scott (2)
5. Leone Nakarawa (76)
6. Rob Harley (244)
7. Thomas Gordon (30)
8. Ryan Wilson (C) (184)

9. Sean Kennedy (15)
10. Ross Thompson (5)
11. Lee Jones (87)
12. Robbie Fergusson (9)
13. Nick Grigg (82)
14. Rufus McLean (4)
15. Ollie Smith (3)

16. Johnny Matthews (10)
17. Dylan Evans (2)
18. D’arcy Rae (81)
19. Kiran McDonald (30)
20. TJ Ioane (10)
21. Jamie Dobie (17)
22. Ian Keatley (1)
23. Ratu Tagive (21)

Titman starting means he won't be playing for Scotland on Sunday: Dobie benching holds out the possibility that he may be at Murrayfield though.
Good to see Lee Jones and Tagive getting a chance. The recent signings probably mean that a couple of back three players will be leaving soon; Seymour seems to be having concussion issues and Niko hasn't been Niko for a while, but these two could well be playing for their next contract. Tagive is a bit of a conundrum; 21 starts, regularly called to train with Scotland but still not sure of his place in a match day 23.
The replacement front row doesn't fill me with confidence; The Fugitive seems out of shape and somewhat disenchanted with rugby at the moment.
However,  if Scott - Naknaks gel in the second row we should win this and then go on to claim third spot.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 11 Mar 2021, 8:22 pm

If Dobie is on the bench he's not in the Scotland squad!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 11 Mar 2021, 10:14 pm

Well Glasgow manage to just about get 23 fit players out for this match against the Ospreys.

I guess it does not say to much about the prospects of Nicol or Thornton that they are not even making this depleted squad. I am having serious doubts as to whether they will still be at Scotstoun next season.

Despite the absentees, there is a reasonable team in there. The Ospreys lineup looks pretty depleted as well, so it should be an even game. If Glasgow win and with a game in hand, then the third place battle opens right up again.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 12 Mar 2021, 10:08 am

This is the crunch game for Glasgow's Champions Cup qualification. Glasgow's final two games are Dragons and Benetton, banana skins with our weakened set up but both eminently winnable with 8 - 10 points to show for it. Win out and we should finish with 33 - 36 points.

Ospreys final game is at Leinster. A second choice Leinster team with little to play for should have enough for most sides let alone a depleted Ospreys side. Lose to Glasgow and they should be on 31 - 33 points to finish the season.

At least we get to reset for whatever the Rainbow Cup is should it go ahead.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 12 Mar 2021, 2:29 pm

Edinburgh Rugby team to play Connacht at the Sportsground, Guinness PRO14

15. Damien Hoyland CO-CAPTAIN (79)
14. Jack Blain (9)
13. James Johnstone (59)
12. George Taylor (29)
11. Eroni Sau (19)

10. Nathan Chamberlain (6)
9. Charlie Shiel (28)

1. Pierre Schoeman CO-CAPTAIN (58)
2. Mike Willemse (33)
3. Lee-Roy Atalifo (5)
4. Magnus Bradbury (91)
5. Andrew Davidson (11)
6. Luke Crosbie (50)
7. Ally Miller (21)
8. Viliame Mata (83)

Substitutes:
16. Sam Kitchen (0)
17. Boan Venter (1)
18. Angus Williams (0)
19. Jamie Hodgson (16)
20. Mesu Kunavula (4)
21. Henry Pyrgos (45)
22. Charlie Savala (0)
23. Mark Bennett (49)

Unavailable on Scotland duty (11): Simon Berghan, David Cherry, Grant Gilchrist, Darcy Graham, Nick Haining, Willem Nel, Jamie Ritchie, Rory Sutherland, Duhan van der Merwe, Jaco van der Walt, Hamish Watson.

Unavailable through injury (9): Lewis Carmichael, Dan Gamble, Nic Groom, Charlie Jupp, Blair Kinghorn, Stuart McInally, Fraser McKenzie, Dan Nutton, Ben Toolis.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 12 Mar 2021, 8:17 pm

Glasgow are a bit of a mob eh
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 12 Mar 2021, 8:18 pm

Scraping the barrel a bit there on the bench! Don't think we'll get much joy in Galway.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 12 Mar 2021, 8:51 pm

tigertattie wrote:Glasgow are a bit of a mob eh

Headscratch Elucidate please.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 12 Mar 2021, 8:56 pm

jimbopip wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Glasgow are a bit of a mob eh

Headscratch Elucidate please.

Daft penalties being given away.

If only they were a proper rugby team that did the basics.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 12 Mar 2021, 9:26 pm

Just watched Ben Vellacot take a quick tap penalty that resulted in a try.

He'll need to get that kind of nonsense out of his system before moving to Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 12 Mar 2021, 9:56 pm

Well well, that was not a bad 80 minutes!
I thought Sean Kennedy had had a good game but when Dobie came on the speed of pass from the ruck was really impressive.
Titman had a cracking game. Young Ollie Smith looks as if he will come good but is taking a little bit of time to adjust to the pace of playing with the big boys. Pierreto is beginning to show he can scrum.
Two wins should see us to third place. Very Happy

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 12 Mar 2021, 11:40 pm

Well our kids beat their kids.

Actually a very enjoyable game.

Am starting to see what the coaches are seeing in Rufus Mclean, he had a really good game and not just the try, his work at kick offs and under the ball was fantastic.

Why did it take us so long to realise that Ross Thompson is a prospect as well? What a kicker he is even on top of the rest of his game.

That was a good win and we do have a genuine shout at third spot now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 13 Mar 2021, 12:04 am

Bit late to the party but been thinking about the Argentinian 10 signed for Glasgow. At his age and international experience I'm sure he'll have signed on the basis of being first choice, but what about Weir and Thompson? Weir's not going to be away with Scotland barring injuries and Thompson is a couple of years off yet.

It will be a shame if Thompson gets little gametime next year because of those two.

Glasgow perhaps overcompensating a bit for the lack of 10s this year!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next