The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

+32
Brendan
Welshmushroom
lostinwales
Tramptastic
CaptainHaddock
Dollar Bill
sensisball
nickj
mikey_dragon
Gicater
Anglobraveheart
Mcsweens
TheMildlyFranticLlama
LeinsterFan4life
Kingshu
TJ
Pete330v2
Highland Shaun
formerly known as Sam
tigertattie
RiscaGame
demosthenes
EWT Spoons
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
bsando
EST
George Carlin
NeilyBroon
RDW
BigGee
Hazel Sapling
36 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

A continuation on previous threads discussing the past, the present and the future of Scottish rugby. A dose a day, keeps optimism away

Halfway through a Covid season and not far from the Rainbow cups, both teams are on the precipice of missing out on the top tier in Europe next year. The Rainbow Cup is a well thought out idea of including sides from South Africa, the home to a new Covid variant that vaccines may not work on, with international travel involving several regions of Europe.

Glasgow Squad

LH: Kebble, Bhatti, Lambert
Hooker: F Brown, Turner, Stewart, Matthews,
TH: Z Fagerson, Berghan, Pieretto, McCallum, McQuillan
Locks: Cummings, R Gray, Harley, McDonald, Bain, Bean
Back Row: Wilson, Gordon, M Fagerson, Darge, Dempsey, Miller, G Brown

SH: Price, G Horne, Dobie, Kennedy
FH: Weir, Miotti, P Horne, Thompson
Centres: S Johnson, McDowall, Tuipulotu, Grigg, Fergusson
Back Three: McLean, Forbes, McKay, Cancelliere, Tagive, Steyn, O Smith


Edinburgh Squad

LH: Schoeman, Venter, Grahamslaw
Hooker: McInally, Cherry, McBurney, Harrison
TH: Nel, De Bruin, Atalifo, Williams
Locks: Gilchrist, Toolis, Young, Hodgson, Sykes, Phillips
Back Row: Mata, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, Crosbie, Haining, Boyle, Kunavula, Muncaster

SH: Pyrgos, Vellacott, Shiel
FH: VDW, Chamberlain, Savala
Centres: Lang, Taylor, Bennett, Dean, Johnstone, Venter, Currie, Hutchison
Back Three: Graham, Kinghorn, Hoyland, Blain, Bofelli, Moyano, Immelman, Owsley


Previous Thread
https://www.606v2.com/t69760-the-glasgow-and-edinburgh-general-chat-discussions-are-limited-to-6-people-before-10pm-to-prevent-the-spread-of-jimboish
https://www.606v2.com/t69555-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-24-covid-funtimes?highlight=banter
https://www.606v2.com/t69038-glasgow-and-edinburgh-banter-thread-no-23-new-season-new-thread?highlight=banter


Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:58 pm; edited 13 times in total

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 2362
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down


Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by EST Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks folks - looks like Edinburgh are recruiting to cover Schoeman leaving maybe.

EST

Posts : 1862
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:31 pm

Schoeman looks to be contracted until 2023. May have had a couple of clubs look to pay a transfer fee but in the current market it is unlikely.

Sutherland looks similarly sewn up to 2022 or 2023.

Would probably think it is the expectation of losing Schoeman, Sutherland and Nel for 12 weeks of the season and any injury to De Bruin, McCallum or Grahamslaw would have seen Edinburgh have two academy props on the bench. With Venter, barring injuries, Edinburgh don't need to dip into the academy as an immediate measure though they would only be an injury away.

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 2362
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by EST Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:08 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Schoeman looks to be contracted until 2023. May have had a couple of clubs look to pay a transfer fee but in the current market it is unlikely.

Sutherland looks similarly sewn up to 2022 or 2023.

Would probably think it is the expectation of losing Schoeman, Sutherland and Nel for 12 weeks of the season and any injury to De Bruin, McCallum or Grahamslaw would have seen Edinburgh have two academy props on the bench. With Venter, barring injuries, Edinburgh don't need to dip into the academy as an immediate measure though they would only be an injury away.

Blimey, didn't realise Schoeman was signed up for so long.

Perhaps Venter isn't on as much as I am imagining, but it does seem like a lot of resource to be spending on one position, especially when there is no guarantee of Schoeman getting and holding down a Scotland squad place.

EST

Posts : 1862
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by BigGee Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:10 pm

Glasgow sign up Lewis Bean for next season.

He impressed on his appearences earlier this season while on loan and looks like he will be a good squad filler who won't break the bank either. At 130 kg, he certainly puts a bit of ballast into our pack!

From what we saw of him, i am very happy for him to be coming back.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:54 pm

Bean is fine as fifth choice. Not really moving the needle outside of the international period though if R Gray and Cummings are going to be gone for 12 weeks, he will get playing time with Bain, Harley and McDonald.

Announced Bhatti, Berghan and Bean in the pack. Guessing we are signing someone beginning with B in the back row. Bradbury? Boyle?

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 2362
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by jimbopip Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:36 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:

Announced Bhatti, Berghan and Bean in the pack. Guessing we are signing someone beginning with B in the back row. Bradbury? Boyle?

Betsen? I do like a bit of Serge.

jimbopip

Posts : 6517
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by RDW Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:27 am

That's the young Saffer centre Venter now in training with Edinbrugh. Will be interesting to see if he gets gametime this season.

Shame there's no Super 6 to give him a runabout before being dumped straight into Pro 14 level.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32076
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by EST Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:13 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:Bean is fine as fifth choice. Not really moving the needle outside of the international period though if R Gray and Cummings are going to be gone for 12 weeks, he will get playing time with Bain, Harley and McDonald.

Announced Bhatti, Berghan and Bean in the pack. Guessing we are signing someone beginning with B in the back row. Bradbury? Boyle?

I thought Bean acquitted himself well during his loan period, like you say he will be a good squad player.  I've not been particularly impressed by Bain this season, although he needs more time to be judged.

From what I can see from the academy, there are a couple of well regarded young second rows there just now - Samuel and Williamson.

Bold has more than a passing resemblance to some irate farmers in a famous children's book!

EST

Posts : 1862
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by demosthenes Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:33 pm

Glasgow v. Benetton called off.   "Persisting severe weather conditions" apparently.  

http://www.glasgowwarriors.com/articles/news/010951.php

demosthenes

Posts : 585
Join date : 2013-10-23
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by BigGee Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:48 pm

Edinburgh game in Newport also cancelled

Makes sense i guess with a lot of travelling involved and no let up in weather for a few days yet

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:48 am

demosthenes wrote:Glasgow v. Benetton called off.   "Persisting severe weather conditions" apparently.  

http://www.glasgowwarriors.com/articles/news/010951.php

They really need to heat that turf...

NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 3083
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 31
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by BigGee Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:08 pm

Glasgow finally land a decent signing for next season.

Jack Dempsey, 14 capped Australian from the Waratahs. At 26 years old., not necessarily someone looking for a pension plan either.

Sounds like a decent bit of business.


BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:44 pm

Dempsey looks a strong signing. Big, athletic BS to pair with M Fagerson for the big games and cover no. 8 during internationals. Have to wait and see whether he will deliver on his promise as he does not seem to be in Australia's thinking.

Glasgow BS/8's: Dempsey, M Fagerson, Wilson, Harley and maybe Lokotui or TJ Ioane.....

We could do with signing one of Boyle, Wynne, Hamilton Burr or maybe someone who showed some potential in the Super Six last season to provide some depth. M Fagerson is likely away with Scotland for 12 weeks and Harley is more of a lock. The cupboard is bare.

On that note, Exeter will need to cut wages to meet the cap and likely will lose a couple of good players. Could Skinner be available?

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 2362
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by RDW Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Woah that's a really good signing! I watched him last season with the Waratahs as he was a really good athletic 8. Was there or there abouts for the Wallabies too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32076
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by EST Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 am

That's exactly the type of signing Glasgow need, an athletic ball carrier who is going to be available all season - delighted with that one.

Having read a number of comments, he seems to have struggled with injuries over the last few years - hopefully they are behind him, and maybe explains how we can afford him!

EST

Posts : 1862
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by RDW Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:51 am

Duncan Taylor has signed on at Sarries. That's the best place for him to be really, and would have been too much of a punt on hit fitness for Edinburgh or Glasgow to take him. Sounds like he wasn't interested in anything else anyway.

Hopefully he can stay injury free over this period to end his career on a high. He's incredibly well regarded at Sarries, which is shown by the faith they've kept in him by keeping him in contract.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32076
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by bsando Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:17 am

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/home-at-last-new-edinburgh-rugby-stadium-completed

Edinburgh have a new stadium! I know some fans have criticised the posts blocking the view but I think it looks quite impressive for a small stadium.

I'm moving to Inverness at the start of April after 7 years in London so getting to Edinburgh and Scotland games will soon be much, much easier.

bsando

Posts : 3876
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 34
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by jimbopip Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:25 am

bsando, selling in London and buying in Inverness Very Happy

It is beautiful up there. MrsPip and I were due to go to Belladrum this summer (brother and sister in law live just outside Inverness) if we get up we'll maybe see you there.
p.s. train to Edinburgh...the A9 is not like the A roads dahn saarf.

jimbopip

Posts : 6517
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by RDW Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:27 am

I'd say it's easier getting to Edinburgh from London than it is from Inverness!

Agreed on the stadium - huge boost for Edinburgh and the columns won't make much difference. It would have cost a lot, lot more to design a structure that didn't have them.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32076
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by EST Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:30 am

The pillars are not ideal, but there must be big difference in cost to have a cantilevered roof. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Given it's a semi-permanent structure, I think it looks really good - it's going to make a massive difference to the match day experience.

EST

Posts : 1862
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by bsando Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:10 pm

jimbopip wrote:bsando, selling in London and buying in Inverness Very Happy

It is beautiful up there. MrsPip and I were due to go to Belladrum this summer (brother and sister in law live just outside Inverness) if we get up we'll maybe see you there.
p.s. train to Edinburgh...the A9 is not like the A roads dahn saarf.

Haha yep I've done that road a few times and it's a slog! Great to know Jimbo, always happy to grab a pint! Belladrum is a brilliant little festival, glad it's managed to keep going. My family live in Sutherland and Caithness so Inverness feels like south for me Very Happy

bsando

Posts : 3876
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 34
Location : Inverness

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by EST Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:16 pm

bsando wrote:
jimbopip wrote:bsando, selling in London and buying in Inverness Very Happy

It is beautiful up there. MrsPip and I were due to go to Belladrum this summer (brother and sister in law live just outside Inverness) if we get up we'll maybe see you there.
p.s. train to Edinburgh...the A9 is not like the A roads dahn saarf.

Haha yep I've done that road a few times and it's a slog! Great to know Jimbo, always happy to grab a pint! Belladrum is a brilliant little festival, glad it's managed to keep going. My family live in Sutherland and Caithness so Inverness feels like south for me Very Happy

It's a great part of the world Bsando, my family are from Ross-Shire. Now that Covid has changed the nature of work, i've been thinking more realistically about moving back up....just need to persuade the Mrs.

EST

Posts : 1862
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by RiscaGame Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:30 pm

bsando wrote:https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/home-at-last-new-edinburgh-rugby-stadium-completed

Edinburgh have a new stadium! I know some fans have criticised the posts blocking the view but I think it looks quite impressive for a small stadium.

I'm moving to Inverness at the start of April after 7 years in London so getting to Edinburgh and Scotland games will soon be much, much easier.

Ah, so that's what the stadium was, that I noticed on the tv before S v W. It looks a little lacking in character I guess, but will obviously be more atmospheric than Murrayfield.

Inverness is still my favourite place where I have lived. Am desperate to get back up there, for a visit.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 5340
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by bsando Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:43 pm

RDW wrote:I'd say it's easier getting to Edinburgh from London than it is from Inverness!

Agreed on the stadium - huge boost for Edinburgh and the columns won't make much difference. It would have cost a lot, lot more to design a structure that didn't have them.

Edinburgh was always a frustrating one for me. Inverness from London is great! Finish work, head to Euston, Sleeper train, wake up in Inverness station the next day a little sleepy but no day wasted travelling. I tried train, plane and even the mega gold bus once to Edinburgh (not recommended). Early train was my favourite way but it's so damn expensive! So flying was usually my go to for visiting.

bsando

Posts : 3876
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 34
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by RDW Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:27 pm

I did lots of trips in my time and found that door to door flying was around 30 minutes quicker than the train. Was a lot more hassle though (getting to airports, departure lounges etc) but was often always a lot cheaper too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32076
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by NeilyBroon Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:29 am

Yeah the trains are extortionate! Flying always makes more sense for me. Plus Southampton you take one step through security and you're at your gate. Its like how it used to be flying from Prestwick!

NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 3083
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 31
Location : Southampton

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:59 am

Finally 606v2 addresses the key issues of Inverness-Edinburgh-London travelling!!

I grew up in Inverness but went to schools in London and Edinburgh. When I close my eyes I can visualise the entire A9....

Problem with the sleeper is the other random bloke you sometimes have to share a cabin with. Flying for me is the best way for London - Inverness, but otherwise I'm a big fan of the train (now, living in Edinburgh, I always take the train when going to London). As for heading north, I quite like driving, but mainly because of the House of Bruar's carvery, where you can eat your body weight in roast potatoes. The downside is the silly introduction of average speed cameras. Some nonsense about saving lives, but it's ruined what used to be a perfectly good race track....

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16872
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 41
Location : Edinburgh

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by RiscaGame Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:11 am

funnyExiledScot wrote: but mainly because of the House of Bruar's carvery, where you can eat your body weight in roast potatoes. The downside is the silly introduction of average speed cameras. Some nonsense about saving lives, but it's ruined what used to be a perfectly good race track....

I wish I had known about this sooner. I obviously used to drive past HoB a lot, but was never recommended that. I did used to use Ballinluig Services Grill a lot, for a decent breakfast though heart

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 5340
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by tigertattie Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:17 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Finally 606v2 addresses the key issues of Inverness-Edinburgh-London travelling!!

I grew up in Inverness but went to schools in London and Edinburgh. When I close my eyes I can visualise the entire A9....

Problem with the sleeper is the other random bloke you sometimes have to share a cabin with. Flying for me is the best way for London - Inverness, but otherwise I'm a big fan of the train (now, living in Edinburgh, I always take the train when going to London). As for heading north, I quite like driving, but mainly because of the House of Bruar's carvery, where you can eat your body weight in roast potatoes. The downside is the silly introduction of average speed cameras. Some nonsense about saving lives, but it's ruined what used to be a perfectly good race track....

Thats the most stereotypical FES post you've ever posted FES. Jimbo will be along shortly to ask how many barbour jackets you had the staff buy you while you were feasting!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Posts : 8993
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by tigertattie Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:20 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote: but mainly because of the House of Bruar's carvery, where you can eat your body weight in roast potatoes. The downside is the silly introduction of average speed cameras. Some nonsense about saving lives, but it's ruined what used to be a perfectly good race track....

I wish I had known about this sooner. I obviously used to drive past HoB a lot, but was never recommended that. I did used to use Ballinluig Services Grill a lot, for a decent breakfast though heart

You should take the Ballahuish ferry next time you are heading to or from inverness! I now it's out of the way but hey, it goes over Loch Leven (not that one, the other one)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Posts : 8993
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

RiscaGame likes this post

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:21 pm

tigertattie wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Finally 606v2 addresses the key issues of Inverness-Edinburgh-London travelling!!

I grew up in Inverness but went to schools in London and Edinburgh. When I close my eyes I can visualise the entire A9....

Problem with the sleeper is the other random bloke you sometimes have to share a cabin with. Flying for me is the best way for London - Inverness, but otherwise I'm a big fan of the train (now, living in Edinburgh, I always take the train when going to London). As for heading north, I quite like driving, but mainly because of the House of Bruar's carvery, where you can eat your body weight in roast potatoes. The downside is the silly introduction of average speed cameras. Some nonsense about saving lives, but it's ruined what used to be a perfectly good race track....

Thats the most stereotypical FES post you've ever posted FES. Jimbo will be along shortly to ask how many barbour jackets you had the staff buy you while you were feasting!

It's the wall mounted taxidermy that's so hard to resist buying in that place.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16872
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 41
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:45 pm

Tigers have picked up Will Hurd from Glasgow. Former Scotland under 20s tighthead was bought up in Ashby in Leicestershire. Anyone seen him play, is he any good?

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 18246
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 36
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by BigGee Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:25 pm

Glasgow looking at an ex NZ U20s FB, Cole Forbes, from Bay of Plenty. Seems to fit the need and the age profile we require, so should not be to expensive. Apparently SQ as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:03 pm

BigGee wrote:Glasgow looking at an ex NZ U20s FB, Cole Forbes, from Bay of Plenty. Seems to fit the need and the age profile we require, so should not be to expensive. Apparently SQ as well.

That sounds very promising, and exactly what Glasgow need.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16872
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 41
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by EST Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:54 pm

Sounds like a decent bit of business and comes with some pedigree if he played for the junior AB's.

I'm somewhat re-assured by the quality of signings Glasgow have been making recently - there are still massive holes in the squad that need to be filled, but at least we look to be going about it sensibly.

Bradbury, Darge and a couple more back three players and we will really be getting somewhere.


EST

Posts : 1862
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by jimbopip Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:17 pm

The boxer has missed an awful lot of rugby over the last three years.
It's almost as if Cowboy Dave has sent him off to resurrect his career before returning next year.

jimbopip

Posts : 6517
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:59 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Tigers have picked up Will Hurd from Glasgow. Former Scotland under 20s tighthead was bought up in Ashby in Leicestershire. Anyone seen him play, is he any good?

Never heard of him and he is not in the academy from what I can see.

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 2362
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:11 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Tigers have picked up Will Hurd from Glasgow. Former Scotland under 20s tighthead was bought up in Ashby in Leicestershire. Anyone seen him play, is he any good?

Never heard of him and he is not in the academy from what I can see.

From the wider training squad played in development squad apparently, whatever that means. He played at Cardiff Met Uni and is only 21 so not sure how long he's been at Glasgow.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 18246
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 36
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by BigGee Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:25 pm

Glasgow just dropped an enormous hint on social media that they are going to sign a FB

Looks like this kiwi is a go then!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:39 pm

EST wrote:Sounds like a decent bit of business and comes with some pedigree if he played for the junior AB's.

Two words of caution: Ben Atiga

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16872
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 41
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by jimbopip Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:43 pm

I'm fairly certain the last wing/full back ex junior All Black Glasgow signed was ....No Maits.
Didn't turn out too shabby.

jimbopip

Posts : 6517
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by BigGee Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:13 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/glasgow-warriors-sign-josh-mckay-new-zealand-u20-world-cup-winner/ar-BB1dLTMl

May not be Forbes (at least not yet), Scotsman look to have jumped the gun and reporting the signing of Josh McKay.

Again, nothing at all wrong with this calibre of player coming on board. Not SQ so will be available all year round as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by jimbopip Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:20 pm

Josh McKay a 10/15/ wing from the Highlanders.
The last winger we signed from Highlanders: No Maits.
I see a theme here.

jimbopip

Posts : 6517
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by jimbopip Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:28 pm

P.s. two new full backs plus Rufus McLean and Ollie Smith...goodbye Shug?

jimbopip

Posts : 6517
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by BigGee Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:36 pm

jimbopip wrote:P.s. two new full backs plus Rufus McLean and Ollie Smith...goodbye Shug?

Well that may well have been inevitable, though he seems a lot more settled at Glasgow now and could always be back playing in the centre.

McKay seems to be more of a winger than a FB, so it may be one or more of our aging wingers that move on. Tommy S seems likely to hang up the boots and Nico and Lee Jones likely competing for the one spot, if that.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:53 pm

Huw Jones should stay at Glasgow but insist on returning to 13, that's where his international future rests.

If Nico doesn't have a role at 9 (and I dont think he does), he should go. Lee Jones probably justifies his place in the squad. When he's been fit and played for Glasgow he's been OK.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16872
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 41
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by Highland Shaun Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:00 am

BigGee wrote:Glasgow looking at an ex NZ U20s FB, Cole Forbes, from Bay of Plenty. Seems to fit the need and the age profile we require, so should not be to expensive. Apparently SQ as well.


Is this signing still on Very Happy, not a Glasgow fan but I like to see SQ players playing in Scotland as its a) a better chance of being noticed by the Scottish coaching team and b) it's likely they will declare for Scotland :P.

That was the feeling I was getting when Velacott was first rumoured, however, it's gone quiet regarding him signing for Edinburgh.

Highland Shaun

Posts : 317
Join date : 2019-03-10

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by BigGee Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:11 am

Josh McKay signing confirmed this morning.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by RDW Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:25 am

Excellent signing again.

Not looking so bleak eh Weegies?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32076
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by BigGee Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:54 am

It is good, DW looking like he is really getting the chance to rebuild the squad which is whst he was brought in to do.

He even sounded hopeful thst Shuggy might be staying on as well, so wstch this space.

It does mean however, that we can expect a bit of a clear out at the end of the season.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13427
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum