The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JP Doyle making his presence felt in the US

+3
formerly known as Sam
LordDowlais
Rugby Fan
7 posters

Go down

JP Doyle making his presence felt in the US Empty JP Doyle making his presence felt in the US

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 19 Apr 2021, 1:13 pm

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

JP Doyle making his presence felt in the US Empty Re: JP Doyle making his presence felt in the US

Post by LordDowlais Mon 19 Apr 2021, 1:17 pm

I always thought JP Doyle was a top ref, I always wondered why he was in the English system and not the Pro14 system.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

JP Doyle making his presence felt in the US Empty Re: JP Doyle making his presence felt in the US

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 19 Apr 2021, 1:41 pm

I think he started reffing in Ireland but changed across when he moved to England. Good ref, I was surprised when he was made redundant. I'm also surprised that there was no offers from Ireland to bring him to the Pro14. The US league have recruited wisely there, he's got years left in the tank and he's got enough experience to be an excellent mentor.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 19 Apr 2021, 8:40 pm

Now he has reffed as an RFU does that mean he cannot change? I.E say he was to move back to Ireland and become an IRFU ref, could he then ref England games but not ones involving Ireland? Opposite of before.
I think the PRO 14 missed a chance not signing him. Even if he couldn't ref at international level again, he is still good. Maybe though with an influx of SA refs incoming the PRO14 decided it would has enough?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 19 Apr 2021, 10:52 pm

This is a bit strange to me also. He is a good ref, and I think better than some I have seen doing games. Very surprised the RFU let him go. Glad he is upping the quality in the US, but I think it is odd he wasn't picked up elsewhere.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed 07 Jul 2021, 12:11 am

I had heard that the RFU let him go to give more opportunities to up and coming English refs.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 07 Jul 2021, 11:00 am

Intotouch wrote:I had heard that the RFU let him go to give more opportunities to up and coming English refs.
I am sure we would all be happy to trade a couple of refs and bring back Doyle....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 08 Jul 2021, 9:22 am

How he is not part of the new URC just baffles me, he is one of the best out there.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 08 Jul 2021, 11:24 am

Maybe he was seen as a rogue character. Maybe powers upon high didn't like a ref holding themselves accountable, making their calls on the field and not referring everything to the TMO adding 60 minutes of "lets watch the ref talk about what they see on the screen, and asking a TMO who couldn't turn on a television set to try and navigate multiple camera angles on the fly" to an 80 minute game.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down