The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+2
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
6 posters

Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:44 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED A SQUAD OF 14 PLAYERS TO TAKE ON HAMPSHIRE IN THIS WEEK’S LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH AT THE KIA OVAL, STARTING ON THURSDAY 29TH APRIL.
Jamie Overton returns to the fold after being rested for last week’s London Derby at Lord’s. He replaces fellow seamer Reece Topley in the squad, who will sit this one out as part of his managed return to first-class cricket following injury issues throughout his career.
Other than that, Surrey’s squad remains the same.
There is still no place in the squad for Connor McKerr, Ryan Patel, Liam Plunkett, Laurie Evans, Jade Dernbach or James Taylor
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (c)
Hashim Amla
Gus Atkinson
Jordan Clark
Rikki Clarke
Ben Foakes
Will Jacks
Daniel Moriarty
Jamie Overton
Ollie Pope
Kemar Roach
Jamie Smith
Mark Stoneman
Amar Virdi
Having to rest Topley for this game while understandable is a massive blow , Overton clearly isn't pulling up any trees when it comes to his bowling.
Does anyone know if Plunkett is injured as he isn't playing for the 2nd xi this week  Headscratch  
Would assume that Atkinson, Jacks, and Moriarty will be on drink duties.
If Jacks had been in any form Amla would have been looking over his shoulder.
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and James100 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:22 pm

Cheers, JimBob.

Yep, go along with your comments. I don't know about Plunkett although suspect he's increasingly seen as a t20 or RL 50 bowler.

Stating the obvious, Hants are a strong outfit. We don't want to be playing catch up two hours in against them.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by James100 Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:53 pm

Cheers Jimbob. Probably agree with the two of you on those to miss out, though reckon there's a chance that Atkinson plays ahead of either Overton or Rikki Clarke.

Really need to get that first win under the belt.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:06 pm

Cheers Jimbob, I think even if we played all 14 we wouldn't take 20 wickets, I think we can only hope Hants bat first, we can avoid the follow on, and hopefully have a 'target' set by Hants that we can somehow chase on the last day if we can make it that far

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:07 am

Sorry to go on about this but I've been moaning on here for years about our attack and the fact that we can rarely take 20 wickets in a game. We keep signing players from other counties yet we don't seem to get any better. I know we're without the Currans but they didn't often run through a team. What is the problem? Also, what has happened to our batting, especially Laurie Evans who scored loads last summer? It really is a sorry state of affairs that we're still opening with Stoneman and presumably Amla will play again despite (I think) 3 ducks in a row now.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:43 am

Surrey win toss and bowl. Even allowing for me being 20 odd miles from the track, very unlikely to have been my choice but an early opportunity for our bowlers to show King Dave what they can do!

Atkinson, Jacks and Moriarty miss out in line with JimBob's opening post although Atkinson was probably not that far from selection as James speculated.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:32 pm

That reverse psychology seems to have worked a treat 44-6

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:07 pm

The bowlers been reading our comments I think!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:39 pm

WOW

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:43 pm

Jimbohammers can you explain this?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:00 pm

50 for Burns clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:59 pm

50 for Amla clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:07 pm

Quacking knock from Amla this time...sorry, cracking knock

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:10 pm

Off for bad light at 131 for 1

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:57 am

An extremely good day at the office.

Once it clouded over soon after the start, everything was set up for Clark and Clarke although they still had to take advantage of the movement provided by the green top track and the conditions. Boy, did they do so! A wickets split of 5 and 3 rather than 6 and 2 would probably have been fairer but only Rikki may care about that. They were both relentlessly on the money nibbling and moving the ball away on around off stump. Earlier, Overton had been too wide and short - not particularly expensive but unthreatening as most balls could be safely left. Burns was correct in hooking him off early.

Aided by some good and dependable catching by Foakes and Clarke at slip - yes, him again! The opening wicket - Weatherley off Roach - was a great keeper catch, Foakes diving low in front of Burns at first slip to whom it wouldn't have carried.

Pleasing as well that we got the final kills soon after lunch. Getting Hants all out for double figures was a further boost. If they had scraped up to between 120 and 140, that would still have been a very good half-day's work by Surrey but I would have feared some frustration setting in for JimBob!

I didn't see our innings at all but great that we are already ahead with 9 wickets in hand. Only disappointment was another failure for Stoneman. Definitely pleasing though that Burns and Amla have fifties. Hopefully, at least one of them can convert today.

Churchy and Kevan James - like him, modest with a decent knowledge of the county scene and of the game from playing with Hants and Middlesex - both speculated at the lunchbreak that Abbas and Abbott would be a handful on the same track. You'll have to take my word for this but I wasn't so sure. I feel it's more suited to slightly faster than medium movement rather than proper pace. From the scorecard, that seems to have been the case - at least so far. Just glad that we weren't facing Murtagh again this week!

guildfordbat

thegooch7, jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:47 pm

Where are you chaps? Don't say we only sing when we're losing!Wink

Great news for JimBob. Surrey 301*/2. That's 6 bonus points plays nil. Plus a 2 year pro contract announced for his boy Ben Geddes.

* Should be 304 but a pigeon just saved Hants 3 runs by getting in the way of what would have been an Amla boundary shot. A lot of feathers scattered but Churchy reckons the bird is ok! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:48 pm

Great report guildford, I read that after lunch Abbott and Abbas were likely to run through us and they wouldn't be surprised if Hants were batting again on day 1. Surrey currently 304-2! There is only one team I know who couldn't force a victory through from this position though

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:28 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Great report guildford, I read that after lunch Abbott and Abbas were likely to run through us and they wouldn't be surprised if Hants were batting again on day 1. Surrey currently 304-2! There is only one team I know who couldn't force a victory through from this position though

Cheers, Goochie. Your ending did make me Very Happy .

Turning around what I've said of Surrey too much recently - the game may not have been won in the first session yesterday but Hants sure went a long way towards losing it!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:34 pm

This is ruthless from Amla and Pope
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:54 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:This is ruthless from Amla and Pope

Pope gone now but they were both making it seem so easy. Amla moving in on a double ton.

439/3 off 110 overs. Max bonus points for Surrey, a measly 1 for Hants reflecting the state of the game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:29 pm

200 for Amla clap clap clap Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:48 pm

Thoughts on a declaration?

Tempted to bat all today and maybe for 20 minutes in the morning.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:53 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Thoughts on a declaration?

Yeah let clark, clarke and Overton enjoy themselves Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:18 pm

Looks like bad light has taken the last 8 overs out of the day. Shame that but we can't really complain how it's gone.

Master class from Amla. Wicket looking pretty dead now. We'll have to bowl decently to get 10 more wickets but hopefully Hants will be low on gas when they bat again.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:03 pm

I’d personally bat for an hour aggressively tomorrow morning, get a few more overs into the bowlers and deject the fielders a touch more, and then put them in. Maybe bat so they have a half hour or so pre lunch and still a relatively new ball after lunch.

How’s the forecast looking?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:39 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

I’d personally bat for an hour aggressively tomorrow morning, get a few more overs into the bowlers and deject the fielders a touch more, and then put them in. Maybe bat so they have a half hour or so pre lunch and still a relatively new ball after lunch.

How’s the forecast looking?

As long as the weather holds, it probably doesn't matter how much longer we bat on for although, as you well know, I wouldn't declare overnight. Chance of afternoon showers both days, especially Sunday - might give Hants a bit of hope.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 01, 2021 12:04 pm

Surrey declare after 50 minutes giving Hants an hour at the crease before lunch. A lead of almost 470.

Amla didn't bat today - stiff neck according to Churchy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat May 01, 2021 5:29 pm

What a performance! 8 for Roach, well done all, a great comeback after our last effort, they obviously listened to the criticism on this board!

thegooch7

guildfordbat and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat May 01, 2021 5:34 pm

Very Happy Smile Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Ale Ale Ale guinness Bubbly Whisky RedWine

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat May 01, 2021 10:25 pm

Did not expect to return and check the score to see the game all over!
Roach, superb - bloody nora!

Good to see Jamie Smith continue to get some runs too
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun May 02, 2021 11:49 am

Excellent result. Leics look like beating Gloucs so if Middlesex also beat Somerset (could go either way), we won't be in too bad a place in the table.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down