The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Hampshire LV=County Championship

+6
Good Golly I'm Olly
Voice of the Beehive
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
jimbohammers
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Surrey vs Hampshire LV=County Championship  Empty Surrey vs Hampshire LV=County Championship

Post by jimbobgooner Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:47 am

Surrey have named a 12 man squad for the LV=County Championship game against Hampshire starting today at the Kia Oval.
Tillakaratne Dilshan is set to make his Championship debut , Stuart Meaker is included having recovered from the side strain that has kept him out of action in recent weeks and Kevin O’Brien comes into a Championship squad for the first time this season. Erm 
Jade Dernbach is unavailable due the hamstring strain he picked up against Leicestershire. Tom Curran is also unavailable due to a recurrence of a calf strain in the T20 victory against Hampshire last night and Chris Tremlett is rested.
The Surrey squad for the LV=County Championship game against Hampshire at the Kia Oval on Saturday 28th June, Sunday 29th June, Monday 30th June and Tuesday 1st July:
Gary Wilson (capt)
Zafar Ansari
Gareth Batty
Rory Burns
Steven Davies
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Matthew Dunn
Tim Linley
Stuart Meaker
Kevin O’Brien
Jason Roy
Vikram Solanki

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Hampshire LV=County Championship  Empty Re: Surrey vs Hampshire LV=County Championship

Post by jimbohammers Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Morning Jimbob, lets hope its a closer game than last night  Erm raspberry Whistle 

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Hampshire LV=County Championship  Empty Re: Surrey vs Hampshire LV=County Championship

Post by jimbobgooner Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:17 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Morning Jimbob, lets hope its a closer game than last night  Erm raspberry Whistle 
 Laugh 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:41 pm

surrey have won the toss and will bat
meaker misses out  Headscratch 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:44 pm

17 year old spinner Brad Taylor plays. Interesting....

Carberry, Adams, Smith, Vince, Wheater, Ervine, Taylor, Coles, Abbott, Briggs, Tomlinson

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Play due to start at 2:10 and 80 overs now scheduled for the day - hope the flood lights work!

O'Brien's inclusion strengthens the batting although I'm not sure about him being the third seamer which appears is going to be the case here.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:21 am

son of boris goes cheaply  Sad 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:06 am

Finally play is due to resume at 6:10. 22 overs left today. With Surrey now on 4/1, that's going to be particularly tricky. If all 22 are bowled, I would settle now for losing only 1 more wicket before stumps.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:58 am

O me of little faith. Great effort by Burns and Solanki to get us to 68/1 at stumps.

A shame that so much of today was lost to the weather but we are where we are. Can't get ahead of ourselves, just need to bat on tomorrow and get a total on the board.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:14 am

Did well to lose only 1 wicket in curtailed day's play. Somewhat puzzled by omission of Meaker, given that he was fit enough to be in the squad.  Since coming into the side Solanki's made important contributions.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:02 pm

Corporal - I wasn't too surprised by Meaker's omission. Unless we go with a seam heavy attack, he probably loses out to Dunn who is similar (advantages and disadvantages) and this season's form guy with approaching 30 wickets. Also, Batty's continuing failures with the bat have created a desire to have someone before him in the order at 8 which has led to O'Brien's selection.

Not totally happy with that but I think it's the rationale.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:18 pm

Just a little stat relating to the match - apart from matches for Sri Lanka and it's representative elevens this is only the third first class match Dilshan has played since 2008.

I couldn't be there today but Surrey supporters have been so lucky to have seen the likes of Ponting, Smith, Amla and Dilshan playing for our team at The Oval in the last two years.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:48 pm

Brad Taylor gets the wicket of Davies with the first ball after lunch  Very Happy 

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:21 am

Hi Jimbo and distinguished others - at the ground. Taylor's bowled well and deserved his wicket albeit with probably his worst ball.

Bit of rain in the air - hope it holds off. Report tonight.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:38 am

Thought I'd bring this over from the T20 thread

guildfordbat
Olly wrote:Do I smell the petrol of a Roy for England bandwagon starting up?! Wink

[size=30]Olly - hope you're following today's scorecard at the Oval![/size]

Appears we have a few passengers aboard the bandwagon Guildford!

Seems to be in a rich vein of form?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:22 am

100 for roy  Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo notworthy notworthy notworthy clap clap clap 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:31 am

150 partnership  clap clap clap 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:35 am

382 for 5 at stumps  clap clap clap fair to say the hampshire bowlers must be getting sick of roy  Laugh 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:44 am

Hard to believe but could Surrey be turning into a good team at both forms of the game? A good mix at the moment of a wise investment in the overseas player who's less fragile than a Saffer, good performances from several senior players, and two home-grown youngsters - Zafer and Jason R - showing the kind of promise which leads to being mentioned in terms of international recognition.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:00 am

Another good day for Surrey......I could get used to this! unless Simon has put the jinx on us now!
Looks like you saw another sizzling performance from Jase the ace today guildford..............and let's not forget the innings of our ever dependable skipper 'Harold'

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:25 am

Apart from the showers and two umpires who seemed overly keen to halt play, things went very much Surrey's way today. A deserved reward for their positive approach.

Not only did we bat with intent but also intelligence. Star of the show was undoubtedly Roy but there were several very good supporting acts. All looked to get on with it and did but never in a crazy and suicidal manner.

When on form as he certainly is currently, Roy is such a powerful and clean hitter. One straight drive off Taylor almost ran out Dilshan as the ball glanced the young bowler at exocet speed and demolished the stumps at the non-striker's end. With no third umpire to call on, Dilshan got the benefit of the doubt.

A word of praise here for 17 year old off spinner Taylor playing in only his second CC match. He was prepared to give the ball some flight and in his early overs was economic, even keeping Dilshan quiet for a while after he had set off like a train trying to make up time. He merited his wicket - Davies first ball after lunch - even though it came from a poor shot from an unusually poor ball wide of leg stump. Taylor's figures only suffered later in the day after Roy had had a good look at him and then got after him; there again, Taylor was in good company as 'Frankie' (that's for Goochie!) Abbot suffered the same fate.

Excellent knock as well from Wilson and a very valuable partnership with Roy. The usual elegance from Solanki and another creditable innings although it once more left me (and him from his reaction to his dismissal) wanting more. Burns had sensibly supported Solanki earlier until impatience got the better of him and he tried to play a second successive ball from Briggs to the leg side boundary only to miss what was a straight one and fall lbw.

For Jimbo, I'll add that Hants stuck at it with the ball and in the field (good stops from Carbs whilst Vince regularly threw himself around); a Leics or Derbys against Roy today would have wilted. However, for table toppers, some of the Hants attack did seem a bit workmanlike. I exclude here the promise of Taylor and the undoubted class of Abbot. Credit as well to Briggs for his 3 wickets but I don't see him being England's next spinner - he pretty much kept the ball low and pushed it through. Ervine was generally tidy but not particularly threatening; similar for Tomlinson with his bizarre snake like run up - the left handhander began on the off side, ran between the umpire (standing back) and the stumps and ended up bowling round the wicket. 'Ordinary' would be the kindest description of Coles' bowling on this showing. Maybe it was just one of those days.

What next? Get to 400 for a 5th batting point, motor on quickly to about 450 and declare, bowl 'em out cheaply, enforce the follow on, bowl 'em out cheaply again, continue dreaming!!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:36 am

I think we're witnessing something special with Jason Roy. He's really having a superb season and the kind of one we all have wanted him to have for a few years. I do think the Tom Maynard tragedy rocked him badly and he was on the cusp of 'breaking through' before then and it's not until now he's got his head right and been given the right direction and a role in the side. Brilliant stuff. Slight sidenote but I saw his highlights from Friday's knock, some of those shots were incredible!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:51 am

Excellent cricket from Surrey at the moment.  A number of players all seem to have discovered or rediscovered at the same time the way to build a significant innings and big partnerships.  Harold must be enjoying captaining at the moment.

Particular pleasure that Roy  king  has really found outstanding and consistent form with Surrey - and that it did not take a move to Sussex to achieve that.  Whistle

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks for the update Guildford. Good to hear Taylor impressed, he played in a one day game last year (on sky!) aged 16 and done really well. Hasn't really had a look in since then. Tbh we normally have Dawson, who bowls useful off spin.

I don't want to be too harsh on the bowling as they have all done well this year, especially Abbott. Ill let them off that it was just 'a bad day at the office'.

Fair play to Roy for continuing his form, another fine knock. Will be interesting to see when Surrey declare? Especially with a lot of overs lost.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:54 pm

Cheers, Jimbo. My guess is that we'll look to add another 60 or 70 within 10 overs this morning to get up to around 450 and then declare.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:35 pm

Roy  king  out first ball this morning.  Wilson & O'Brien going steadily - possibly want to get past 110 overs before hitting out, to avoid giving Hants free bowling point....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:57 pm

O'Brien and Batty - scoring 5 runs in 4 overs.  Not sure what that is about.  Shocked Last 10 overs Surrey have scored 15/1....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Still waiting for O'Brien to go hell for leather. We're using up too much time at the moment. Every over we face now is one less we'll have to get 20 wickets.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:03 pm

looks like we are happy with a draw  Shocked 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:06 pm

o'brien gone  Doh 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:06 pm

Heard a rumour Wilson rang Alistair Cook for tactical advice this morning.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:25 pm

Well, we've got 450 up but it took twice as long as I was hoping for this morning. Declaration at 12:30? Give 'em 20 minutes before lunch ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:22 pm

Not quite sure what's gone at the Oval in the morning session - once Harold was out (415-7) and didn't get his century, surely it was time for the declaration?! Unless Hants collude, and I can't see why they would now, this is going to meander into a fairly tame draw

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:51 pm

Agree with thegooch. The only other justifiable option was to hit out for a few overs and try to reach around 450 quickly and declare. Batting on at pretty much normal Championship pace made no sense to me.

The proof of the pudding will be in the final result though I suppose.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:15 am

50/1 after 14 overs. Dunn bowling economically by the looks of it. Any idea why Linley only bowled 2 overs?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:19 am

Looks like a draw as Hants get past 80 with only 1 down.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:33 am

134 - 1 Looks even more like a draw.  Ansari, in his 20th over, has bowled more than Nora.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:38 am

Bonus points an important issue now.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:52 am

Finally, after a partnership spanning 50 overs, Adams falls LBW to the economical Batty.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 am

Carrotdude wrote:50/1 after 14 overs. Dunn bowling economically by the looks of it. Any idea why Linley only bowled 2 overs?

Viscount still only bowled 6 overs when Clive has bowled 16 and all other bowling done by the spinners.  I assume that Viscount must be injured.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:49 am

The draw looks nailed on from here. A shame but not too distressed. It was always going to be very difficult to get 20 Hants wickets in less than two days. We've done well to more than hold our own against the tabletoppers and have shown clear signs of improvement in recent weeks.

I wouldn't say it has materially affected the result but the decision to include O'Brien now looks more questionable. That's said with some but not total hindsight. I just about understood why he appeared to have been included (as I posted to the Corporal) but wasn't fully convinced. Far less so now he hasn't yet bowled at all and spent the morning on a batting go slow when the situation cried out for him to try for 40 runs off 30 balls which I thought would have been his mug of tea.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:05 am

Not playing meaker was daft to say the least yes not as economical as the viscount but more likely to get wkts

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:28 pm

To be fair, the weather has ruined this game. If it was the beginning of day 3 we'd still be hopeful of a result. BUT, it does seem rather strange picking a batsman to come in at number 8, and stranger still when he undid all the good work of Roy forcing the pace earlier.
I don't see why Tremlett played a T20 in preference to a CC match - unless he was so 'tired' that he was never going to last 4 days anyway. More puzzling then that Meaker was then included in the squad and didn't play!? Roy could also have filled in with a bit of medium pace, and with the 2 (3 with Dilshan?) spinners we could have had quite a potent looking attack.
Anyway, I'm staying positive, let's get a full quota of bonus points from this match, then onwards and upwards!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:51 pm

2nd bowling point achieved 10 overs left to get the 3rd

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:26 am

oh well have to settle for 7 bonus points
time for third degree to turn his arm  Smile 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:11 am

O'Brien finally on for 3 overs of rubbish  raspberry 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:12 am

60 for the last wkt  picard 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:20 am

son of boris getting a rest for the 2nd innings  Cool 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:27 am

Great effort by Ervine, Abbott, Briggs + Tomlinson.  Smile 

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:55 am

12 points for the rey  clap 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next