The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Left-field Lions Patter

+14
king_carlos
Hazel Sapling
chris_501
Fluxy
lostinwales
Cumbrian
No 7&1/2
LordDowlais
Geordie
MichaelT
BigGee
formerly known as Sam
BamBam
bsando
18 posters

Go down

Left-field Lions Patter Empty Left-field Lions Patter

Post by bsando Wed May 05, 2021 8:49 am

On the eve of the Lions announcement there is always a scramble from various pundits, ex players and rugby media types to list their final Lions squads. Along with this mad rush comes some pretty outlandish and left-field selection choices.

Have you come across any amusing or excitable posts, articles or off the cuff remarks on your twitter or facebook feed? If so, post below and we can all have a laugh.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Left-field Lions Patter Empty Re: Left-field Lions Patter

Post by BamBam Wed May 05, 2021 8:57 am

I read a ridiculous and hilarious article stating that Alun Wyn Jones was “the outstanding candidate for Lions captain” Laugh Laugh

Honestly, where do they get these ideas from, brilliant comedy

Run

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 05, 2021 9:00 am

The Quins combo of Danny Care and Marcus Smith have been mentioned. I presume this is because newspapers like to think of London as representing the UK and they are from the form London team. An old scrum half who's game management is suspect and a young flyhalf known for his running rugby as opposed to his tactical skillset don't really make me think of Gatland selections.

If anything I've felt a little let down by the selection of potential bolters for this tour, there's something a bit unoriginal about the talking up of Marler, Simmonds and Zebo. Where's the uncapped coming from nowhere selection, I suppose that could be Marcus Smith.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed May 05, 2021 9:05 am

Not quite uncapped, but Cameron Redpath might be the best bet on a bolter for me

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Wed May 05, 2021 9:10 am

I think the bolters are the Scottish players who are rightly up there now.

You look back at the last few tours - 2009 Ireland had won a grand slam and an all-Ireland european semi-final, 2013 Wales had just hammered England and 2017 England had only lost 1 game in over a year with 2 six nations titles.

This time round its not that clear and obvious who the best team/ players are. The squad announcement could be full of surprises or could be very similar to 2013/ 2017.

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed May 05, 2021 9:14 am

i genuinely thought Ted Hill might have been a bolter, but his form this season doesnt warrant it...though he should be in the England summer squad.

I have a suspicion Sam Simmonds might be on that plane. His gamestyle could be a serious weapon...if you can balance the lack of size...maybe a last 20 minute player to come on and cause havoc.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 05, 2021 9:14 am

BigGee wrote:Not quite uncapped, but Cameron Redpath might be the best bet on a bolter for me

Good call. I hope he goes as he's got a nicely rounded skill set, offers a bit of everything. The Lions are also a little short on inside centre options and I don't want either of Manu or JD2 shoehorned into that position. Henshaw is the current standout option though the slightly dim glare of Owen Farrell is worryingly never far away.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed May 05, 2021 9:18 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
BigGee wrote:Not quite uncapped, but Cameron Redpath might be the best bet on a bolter for me

Good call. I hope he goes as he's got a nicely rounded skill set, offers a bit of everything. The Lions are also a little short on inside centre options and I don't want either of Manu or JD2 shoehorned into that position. Henshaw is the current standout option though the slightly dim glare of Owen Farrell is worryingly never far away.

You've just soured my morning porridge... Sad

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed May 05, 2021 9:19 am

BamBam wrote:I read a ridiculous and hilarious article stating that Alun Wyn Jones was  “the outstanding candidate for Lions captain”  Laugh  Laugh

Honestly, where do they get these ideas from, brilliant comedy

Run

I read another one saying the same about Itoje, seriously you couldn't make it up, oh wait a minute.......... Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

OK, lets take a breather.....

Nope... Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

I mean come on, Itoje for captain, now that's comedy gold.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed May 05, 2021 9:40 am

It must be great to get the blood pressure rising so early in the morning tomato

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed May 05, 2021 9:45 am

My blood pressure is fine thanks. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed May 05, 2021 9:53 am

Ugo Monye was obviously backing his mate on his BBC Rugby podcast but it all felt a bit cringe worthy from himself and Chris Jones. "we're keeping Care out of the podcast this week because he's in the running for selection.." I mean, come on, he's basically a pundit now and I doubt anyone who is selecting would pay any attention to their podcast regardless of what Danny Care were to say.

I've also noticed Rugbypass are putting up some outlandish theories and "click bait" articles but that's just Rugbypass most weeks.

bsando

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed May 05, 2021 10:05 am

I'm not sure Care or Smith are left field in terms of punditry and Smith at least has been supposedly sent the email for availability. Care is, just playing excellently at the moment, similarly Spencer is the best SH who is English.

For true left field you have to go to Stephen Jones: Carl Fearns.

No 7&1/2

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed May 05, 2021 10:09 am

I wonder if no.8 might be ripe for a bolter prediction. The front runners seem to be Faletau and Billy Vunipola, but Billy's form is erratic (and his arms appear to be made of chocolate).

Might be tempted to take a flutter on some one like Caelan Dorris, Matt Fagerson, Alex Dombrandt or that lad from Exeter.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 05, 2021 11:15 am

Cumbrian wrote:I wonder if no.8 might be ripe for a bolter prediction.  The front runners seem to be Faletau and Billy Vunipola, but Billy's form is erratic (and his arms appear to be made of chocolate).

Might be tempted to take a flutter on some one like Caelan Dorris, Matt Fagerson, Alex Dombrandt or that lad from Exeter.

England's nemesis in the 6N Conan? He's now fit and in form.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed May 05, 2021 11:35 am

The media are reporting that both Cam Redpath and Will Stuart have received the infamous long list letters.

Stuart would indeed be a surprise, I don't recall anyone mentioning him ands hard to beleive he would be picked over Fagerson or Porter for the third TH spot, assuming that Sinkler and Furlough are shoe ins.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed May 05, 2021 11:41 am

BigGee wrote:The media are reporting that both Cam Redpath and Will Stuart have received the infamous long list letters.

Stuart would indeed be a surprise, I don't recall anyone mentioning him ands hard to beleive he would be picked over Fagerson or Porter for the third TH spot, assuming that Sinkler and Furlough are shoe ins.

He's a very big lump who's not looked out of place. He doesn't have the flash handling of Sinckler or Furlong (or the footwork for that matter) but he's earned his spot with England.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 05, 2021 11:43 am

Bryn Gatland is my shout as a bolter. Plays 10. Got experience playing against the Lions and against the Bok teams in Super Rugby. Not capped. Gatland knows him well. Get him on the plane! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Wed May 05, 2021 11:45 am

I stand by my claim back in December and before then. Ryan Baird is my shout on a bolter for this Lions squad.

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed May 05, 2021 12:22 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:I wonder if no.8 might be ripe for a bolter prediction.  The front runners seem to be Faletau and Billy Vunipola, but Billy's form is erratic (and his arms appear to be made of chocolate).

England's nemesis in the 6N Conan? He's now fit and in form.

I've mentally blocked out pretty much every game of that tournament. Very Happy
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Wed May 05, 2021 1:58 pm

If we hadn't see the success of Beirne in the 6N, my bolter has always been Cory Hill, but with Henderson also a 2nd row that can play 6, I can't see it now.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed May 05, 2021 2:20 pm

Ugo Monye managed to pick M Smith over Russell. He also included Wainwright over Henderson, CJ Stander, Navidi, Underhill and B Vunipola.

I can understand the call for Care and SH is where any number of different permutations could happen after Murray. I am expecting at least one surprise such as Care, Price, Cooney or Hardy.

There has been mention that McInally may have had a strong chance if he had been fit during the Six Nations but there are still questions at the hooker spot.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 05, 2021 2:37 pm

lostinwales wrote:
BigGee wrote:The media are reporting that both Cam Redpath and Will Stuart have received the infamous long list letters.

He's a very big lump who's not looked out of place. He doesn't have the flash handling of Sinckler or Furlong (or the footwork for that matter) but he's earned his spot with England.

Bath's scrum hasn't looked good in recent weeks though. Stuart had a miserable game up again Genge and has perhaps lucky not to get binned after conceding three or four penalties and two freekicks. He'll do well to go ahead of Sinckler, Furlong, Porter and Fargerson.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 05, 2021 3:28 pm

I'd certainly be surprised to see Stuart go. Sometimes all it takes with props is for the forwards coach to see something he really likes about their scrummaging though. In 2013 on form Ryan Grant should have been well ahead of Corbisiero but Wig had seen enough of his scrummaging to think Corbisiero was a weapon worth taking a punt on. It was very unpopular with fans at the time but paid off big time in fairness to Wig and Gats.

Personally I really like Porter for the third tighthead spot on this tour. He's had a really good season and has quietly become an experienced international with nearly 40 caps. Playing behind Furlong (for my money the best TH in the world at his best) it's easy to be missed but Porter has been very good for a while now.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 05, 2021 6:22 pm

I like Porter as well and what makes him a really good option is that he can play both sides. I presume the Lions will take 7 props due to bubble restrictions so having someone that can play both sides becomes very useful. Doubly so when he's played as well as Porter. He's a bit unlucky to be behind Furlong at Leinster and Ireland, I agree with Carlos he's the best tighthead in the world at present.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed May 05, 2021 7:07 pm

As we get closer to the announcement, I feel like all Scottish players other than Hogg should be considered "bolters"!!

Agree on Porter by the way. I'd actually have him second choice ahead of Sinckler if I'm being honest.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 05, 2021 8:57 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:As we get closer to the announcement, I feel like all Scottish players other than Hogg should be considered "bolters"!!

Agree on Porter by the way. I'd actually have him second choice ahead of Sinckler if I'm being honest.
If Mullet gets left out we riot.

king_carlos

funnyExiledScot and formerly known as Sam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed May 05, 2021 9:17 pm

Fluxy wrote:I stand by my claim back in December and before then. Ryan Baird is my shout on a bolter for this Lions squad.

He is some talent and covers backrow and second row so you never know.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu May 06, 2021 1:04 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:As we get closer to the announcement, I feel like all Scottish players other than Hogg should be considered "bolters"!!

Sinckler - depends. He didn't have a great 6N (for a change) but has been very good previously and has Lions history too.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu May 06, 2021 9:33 am

lostinwales wrote:

Sinckler - depends. He didn't have a great 6N (for a change) but has been very good previously and has Lions history too.

Sinckler, along with Curry, was one of the better performers in a rubbish overall England effort. But he made some very good contributions in NZ, and has also matured a lot since then. He also has huge motivation: he only had 3 minutes in the RWC Final and has spoken about wanting to "shoot his shot" against SA. The key thing for me is that he's a very competent international scrummager but a real problem for defences because he really needs to be double-teamed as a carrier but he also has a very long and accurate pass so can make holes in defences. It's a similar skill set to Furlong, but I don't think any of the other contenders on either side come close (Mako has the carrying and passing but is much more vulnerable against the Bok pack in the scrum).
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu May 06, 2021 9:43 am

I'd have thought that the first three tightheads were an easy selection. Furlong, Porter and Sinckler there could be a fourth if they are going for seven props and will use Porter to cover both sides. I think those three are just a little ahead of the chasing pack of Fargerson, Francis and Stuart.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu May 06, 2021 9:58 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'd have thought that the first three tightheads were an easy selection. Furlong, Porter and Sinckler there could be a fourth if they are going for seven props and will use Porter to cover both sides. I think those three are just a little ahead of the chasing pack of Fargerson, Francis and Stuart.

I'd agree with those, bit of a drop after them tbh.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down