The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big fight weekend

+4
No name Bertie
Derbymanc
Mr Bounce
aja424
8 posters

Go down

Big fight weekend  Empty Big fight weekend

Post by aja424 Fri 04 Jun 2021, 10:14 pm

Floyd Mayweather is fighting this Weekend against the inexperienced Logan Paul. Despite Logan having the advantages of youth and recent activity on his side, and Mayweather now in his midforties, I feel Mayweathers experience will see him through.

Who you got and why?

aja424

Back to top Go down

Big fight weekend  Empty Re: Big fight weekend

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 06 Jun 2021, 1:35 pm

This is an absolute joke of a "fight". Logan Paul is a celebrity with some minor fighting ability whereas Floyd is one of the greatest of the modern era. Even if Floyd is 44 Paul will barely be able to touch him. Tis a money-spinner and that's all. I don't mind Floyd returning for matches - just as long they're against someone worthwhile, which a no-hope You-Tuber is not.

I cannot blame either party for taking the bout, but as a purist it galls me to even comment on it.

I was far more interested to see how Daniel Dubois would bounce back post surgery. Violently, it seems. Well done him.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 07 Jun 2021, 7:54 am

This isn't, wasn't and will never be a boxing bout. It was an exhibition plain and simple. Mayweather carried Paul through it and that was that.

It's all about the money and in my opinion it's pretty sad plus thinking this morning is how much May's hurting his legacy, he just fought a 2 fight novice who's never won and couldn't put him away, whilst as i said it's all planned out like that what about the fans that don't know that, the guys that are just desperate for Floyd to fail, what are they gonna say.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 07 Jun 2021, 9:12 am

Money Mayweather living up to his name.  Mayweather's boxing legacy is secure, in 50 years people in the boxing world will forget about this exhibition match.  It is what it is.  Only if he had lost he would have looked like a plonker. Jake Paul made Ben Askren look like a plonker. Ben Askren is a great wrestler and with that he was a great MMA fighter but as a boxer he was a plonker - however he got lots of money for it.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon 07 Jun 2021, 12:33 pm

Floyd showed that he still has a lot left in the tank at 44 in going the eight-round distance. Logan treated the result of the fight as a moral victory in him going the full eight rounds without getting knocked out.After the fight, Logan was on top of the world despite him not winning. Interestingly, the crowd booed at the end, letting them know that they weren’t pleased with how the fight played out.
Granted, the fight was very, very boring to watch, but that’s the way most of Mayweather’s fights have been. Maybe the younger fights that haven’t seen Mayweather fight before were perhaps expecting him to brawl like Canelo Alvarez and Gennadiy Golovkin. That was never going to happen because Mayweather doesn’t fight like that. With the fight being an exhibition, no winner was possible unless there had been a knockout. Mayweather put in a good effort to stop the hulking 190+ lb Logan, but he couldn’t do it.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 07 Jun 2021, 12:41 pm

aja424 wrote:Floyd showed that he still has a lot left in the tank at 44 in going the eight-round distance. Logan treated the result of the fight as a moral victory in him going the full eight rounds without getting knocked out.After the fight, Logan was on top of the world despite him not winning. Interestingly, the crowd booed at the end, letting them know that they weren’t pleased with how the fight played out.
Granted, the fight was very, very boring to watch, but that’s the way most of Mayweather’s fights have been. Maybe the younger fights that haven’t seen Mayweather fight before were perhaps expecting him to brawl like Canelo Alvarez and Gennadiy Golovkin. That was never going to happen because Mayweather doesn’t fight like that. With the fight being an exhibition, no winner was possible unless there had been a knockout. Mayweather put in a good effort to stop the hulking 190+ lb Logan, but he couldn’t do it.

I can't work out if this post is serious or ironic?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 08 Jun 2021, 1:00 am

I’m no boxing fan (haven’t watched it seriously since Lewis) but just wondering (and yet to watch the fight). Surely Mayweather went easy on that Social Media Guy? I assumed the real boxer (despite his age, size etc) would just smash him in one round?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 08 Jun 2021, 7:12 am

I was surprised to read how someone like George Foreman saying that he enjoyed the Mayweather vs Paul exhibition fight. How long can it be before someone thinks about matching him up against Larry Holmes or Earnie Shavers in one of these "fights?".

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 08 Jun 2021, 9:48 am

No name Bertie wrote:Money Mayweather living up to his name.  Mayweather's boxing legacy is secure, in 50 years people in the boxing world will forget about this exhibition match.  It is what it is.  Only if he had lost he would have looked like a plonker.  Jake Paul made Ben Askren look like a plonker.  Ben Askren is a great wrestler and with that he was a great MMA fighter but as a boxer he was a plonker - however he got lots of money for it.

I know what your saying Bertie but i disagree, Mayweather divides opinion like no other of this generation. he's a plonker in general and people want to drag him down. The more he does these, the more he's in danger of tarnishing his legacy, put that with the fact that the kids will be watching this and not seeing his other bouts and for me he's on sketchy ground.

the purists may remember him as great but the rest won't and that to me is the biggest shame.

I don't like Manny in the Slightest but at least he's facing boxers.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 08 Jun 2021, 10:00 am

Derbymanc wrote:
No name Bertie wrote:Money Mayweather living up to his name.  Mayweather's boxing legacy is secure, in 50 years people in the boxing world will forget about this exhibition match.  It is what it is.  Only if he had lost he would have looked like a plonker.  Jake Paul made Ben Askren look like a plonker.  Ben Askren is a great wrestler and with that he was a great MMA fighter but as a boxer he was a plonker - however he got lots of money for it.

I know what your saying Bertie but i disagree, Mayweather divides opinion like no other of this generation. he's a plonker in general and people want to drag him down. The more he does these, the more he's in danger of tarnishing his legacy, put that with the fact that the kids will be watching this and not seeing his other bouts and for me he's on sketchy ground.

the purists may remember him as great but the rest won't and that to me is the biggest shame.

I don't like Manny in the Slightest but at least he's facing boxers.

It's only the purists who care about things such as greatness anyway, unless you're Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson you're unlikely to stay in the consciousness of the general public. His legacy within boxing is secure.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 08 Jun 2021, 2:10 pm

Again i disagree Souly, there's a lot of people now that Poopie on his legacy, this doesn't help matters in the slightest. If he wasn't fighting fit, 50 odd years old then maybe it'd be okay but with Manny still fighting it only hurts him.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 08 Jun 2021, 2:33 pm

So the people who don't like him anyway will continue to dislike him?

When it comes to his overall standing all that matters is 50-0, five weight world champion, four weight lineal champion, 11 time champion and his resume of top quality opposition. I don't see how fighting in a meaningless exhibition for money adversely affects that.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 08 Jun 2021, 2:48 pm

He just fought Logan Paul, a guy who's had 2 fights, one draw, one loss and coudln't put him away.

Even At 60 years old he should be running rings round him.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 08 Jun 2021, 2:51 pm

It was an exhibition, did you genuinely think Mayweather would be going full tilt against a youtuber?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 08 Jun 2021, 3:17 pm

I know it was an exhibition, like the last lot of exhibitions and his fight with McGregor, a choreographed travesty more akin to a WWE ring than a boxing contest.

But it wasn't marketed as such and therefore he's opened himself up to a lot of critics and rightly so.

but as Truss our glorious leader would say

We're each entitled to our opinions, you think it's find, i think it's dog poopie

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 08 Jun 2021, 3:22 pm

It was marketed as an exhibition, every mention of the fight stated that and made it known that it would not count towards the record of either.

Who did Muhammad Ali fight in an exhibition in 1979 and what was the result? Without using google.

The great Sugar Ray Robinson fought a long list of nobodies in between the odd decent fight on his various European tours, I don't see that tarnishing his overall reputation.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 08 Jun 2021, 4:03 pm

I think the reason why Mayweather farting around with e-celebs and washed up fighters from other disciplines leaves more of a sour taste is because it's an embodiment of a horrible trend which he himself was largely responsible for embedding in recent times. Basically the idea that greatness is all about being the best-paid, and that tradition or history within a sport are things for sentimental fools. It's all about what's 'in' right now and using the sport as a means of tapping into that, regardless of how ridiculous the sport looks as a result.

Plus the sheer scale of it all, of course. Sticks in the craw somewhat to see garbage like this sold as 'Fight of the Year!' and to see guys like the Paul brothers or KSI earning more for their freak show appearances than seasoned world champions who have put in the hard yards, but who are earning brass buttons in comparison. Boxing has never been fully meritocratic and those kind of issues were around long before Mayweather, but he's helped accelerate it for me.

Mayweather himself was always open about money mattering to him just as much, maybe even more than legacy. His whole post-De La Hoya career was a testament to that. He repeatedly scorned these other greats who didn't end up with the material spoils to match their achievements in the ring, and said that a big part of what made him the self-appointed 'TBE' was that he'd played the game a lot smarter than they had. That's up to him and you can't begrudge him that, I'm just mystified why so many fans were so enthusiastic about it. Him getting richer doesn't make any of us richer.

It is professional boxing at the end of the day, so I'm not pretending that money doesn't drive them all to one extent or another depending on the person / their situation, but Mayweather's 'Money' persona and the way he's gone about things for several years, given his enormous profile and gravitas in the sport, has had a very detrimental effect on it for me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 09 Jun 2021, 9:49 am

To be honest Souly i didn't follow what was going on. I decried it when it was first announced, slagged it off whenever it was mentioned on boxing sites or boxing news as the farce it is.

And whilst your saying it was marketed as an exhibition so are a lot of the 'older' fighters yet people are clamouring like it's 'real' boxing. fair play you want to make a bit of money but have it on the undercard of a bigger fight. don't tout it as a legitimate matchup (whether you agree or not, people were talking like it was)

Ali's was Antonio's Inoki which was completely different again (especially with Inoki kicking the crap out of his legs and i'm pretty sure most people know about that.

Fighting nobodies that are actual boxers, that have a pedigree in boxing is different to fighting a youtuber who's had 2 fights (against the same guy who also isn't a boxer).

Time will tell with this and we'll see who's right (but do we care :-). Personally see it as a joke and pretty much agree with everything Chris says.

Best defensive boxer i've ever seen, possibly best ever defensive boxer, is he a top 10 hmmmm not sure, is he the G.O.A.T definitely not and doing this doesn't help that.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 09 Jun 2021, 9:58 am

Ali 'fought' Antonio Inoki in 1976, I was talking about his 1979 exhibition against NFL player Lyle Alzado. It went the eight round distance ending in a draw, sound familiar?

I better downgrade Ali massively because he partook in a fight against an opponent who had never boxed professionally purely for money.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 09 Jun 2021, 11:51 am

You can downgrade him if you want, i mean these p4p lists are all subjective. we're also allowed not to agree on something, I know you seem to be finding that really hard to grasp.

you think it has no bearing on Floyd

I think it does,

Neither of us will know who's right until the time goes by and we might be dead by then lol.

Personally think this kind of stuff harms boxing but if you enjoy it then crack on bud.

You can write about that, i'll write about my thoughts.

Opinions are great, everyones got one.

Where is TRUSS

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down