The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Canada

+22
Sgt_Pooly
cb
maverickmak
mikey_dragon
WELL-PAST-IT
Rugby Fan
BigTrevsbigmac
TheMildlyFranticLlama
TightHEAD
Cumbrian
nlpnlp
MichaelT
BamBam
No 7&1/2
Poorfour
Mr Bounce
doctor_grey
king_carlos
lostinwales
formerly known as Sam
Old Man
Geordie
26 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

England v Canada Empty England v Canada

Post by Geordie Mon 5 Jul - 12:43

Saturday 10th July, 3pm KO.

15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)
14. Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 10 caps)
13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 39 caps)
12. Dan Kelly (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
11. Adam Radwan (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
10. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 1 cap)
9. Harry Randall (Bristol Bears, 1 cap)

1. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 29 caps)
2. Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons, 1 cap)
3. Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)
4. Harry Wells (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
5. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 22 caps)
6. Lewis Ludlow (C) (Gloucester Rugby, 1 cap)
7. Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 23 caps)
8. Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, uncapped)

FINISHERS
16. Curtis Langdon (Sale Sharks, 1 cap)
17. Beno Obano (Bath Rugby, 2 caps)
18. Paul Hill (Northampton Saints, 5 caps)
19. Callum Chick (Newcastle Falcons, 1 cap)
20. Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 9 caps)
21. Dan Robson (Wasps, 13 caps)
22. George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 3 caps)
23. Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 5 caps)

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Thu 8 Jul - 11:15; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

England v Canada Empty Re: England v Canada

Post by Old Man Mon 5 Jul - 12:49

Canada has really gone down the drain last decade. This will be a massacre

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 5 Jul - 12:57

Remember the old days back in the 90s...that team in the 91 world cup was very good.

Some class players!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Mon 5 Jul - 13:11

Even in 1995, we only beat them 20-0 in 1995

Old Man

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 5 Jul - 14:31

I'm hoping for some more experimentation this weekend. Generally the younger guys given a chance showed more than the experienced guys.

1. Genge
2. Langdon
3. Heyes
4. Wells
5. Hill
6. Ludlam
7. Underhill
8. Dombrandt
9. Randall
10. Smith
11. Radwan
12. Lawrence/Kelly
13. Marchant
14. Cockasiga
15. Steward

Bench: Blamire, Obano, Hill, Ewels, Curry, Mitchell, Slade, Kelly/Bassett.

If Lawrence isn't fit bring in Kelly and Bassett. Keep some semblance on continuation but also mix the squad up to give some who deserve a chance a go. Speed on one wing and power on the other is a good option as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 5 Jul - 14:33

I'd like to see Obano start with Genge on the bench to assert some order in the 2nd half.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 5 Jul - 14:35

lostinwales wrote:I'd like to see Obano start with Genge on the bench to assert some order in the 2nd half.

I'd agree but Obano had a shocker off the bench Vs the USA which hinders my confidence in him bossing it alongside two youngsters who only have 1 cap each. Paul Hill as the sub tighthead adds some more experience alongside Obano and Blamire is a more physical hooker.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 5 Jul - 14:36

Your second rows are better already Sam.

Geordie

Mr Bounce and formerly known as Sam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 5 Jul - 15:16

formerly known as Sam wrote:
lostinwales wrote:I'd like to see Obano start with Genge on the bench to assert some order in the 2nd half.

I'd agree but Obano had a shocker off the bench Vs the USA which hinders my confidence in him bossing it alongside two youngsters who only have 1 cap each. Paul Hill as the sub tighthead adds some more experience alongside Obano and Blamire is a more physical hooker.

I thought it was more of a blink and you'll miss it kind of thing. The game was such a mess at the point he got on he barely registered.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 5 Jul - 17:20

As others have said Canada have gone a fair way backwards due to a myriad of reasons so I'd sue this game to play some of the guys that missed out on the England A vs Scotland A game.

1.Genge
2.Blamire
3.Heyes
4.Hill
5.Ewels
6.Ludlam
7.Underhill (c)
8.Dombrandt

9.Randall
10.Smith

11.Cokanasiga
12.Lawrence
13.Marchant
14.Radwan
15.Steward

16.Langdon
17.Rodd
18.Hill
19.Wells
20.B Curry
21.Mitchell
22.Slade
23.Kelly

If Lawrence is unavailable I'd probably start Kelly and go with a 6-2 bench split to get a look at Kenningham off the bench.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 5 Jul - 17:25

I think the chances of Lawrence making it are remote.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 5 Jul - 20:44

Old Man wrote:Canada has really gone down the drain last decade. This will be a massacre
Yes, agree.  From what I hear, a lot of their funding has dried up.  Don't really know why.  If the MLR in America really becomes embedded and financially stable, they should expand across Canada to give more opportunities.  I think they have one team in Toronto.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 5 Jul - 23:22

1.  Genge
2.  Blamire
3.  Heyes
4.  Hill
5.  Ewels
6.  Ludlam
7.  Curry
8.  Dombrandt
9.  Randall
10. Smith
11. Cokanasiga
12. Slade
13. Marchant
14. Radwan
15. Steward

16. Ohgre
17. Rodd? in instead of Obano?
18. Hill
19. Wells/Munga
20. Underhill
21. Mitchell
22. Umaga
23. Furbank

That's what I reckon will happen. He won't drop Ewels or Slade, but we all know what Underhill can do and having him as a finisher is a scary proposition. Eddie will want to look at some more of the young 'uns - Maybe Max Ojomoh might get a look in on the bench in the 22 shirt with Furbank dropping out and Umaga at 23? But this is Eddie, so who knows??

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 6 Jul - 0:28

Just looking at all the choices and players who will either miss out or get little playing time makes the Scotland A match seem that much more important. Really a shame, and as I said, was really hoping for more players to have a bit more opportunity to show they have the goods.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 6 Jul - 9:11

doctor_grey wrote:Just looking at all the choices and players who will either miss out or get little playing time makes the Scotland A match seem that much more important.  Really a shame, and as I said, was really hoping for more players to have a bit more opportunity to show they have the goods.

Yeah i think your so right.
I know ive beat the falcons drum alot lately (i dont get to do it much so when i can i make the most of it Very Happy ) but whilst i was chuffed for Blamires performance, i was disappointed for Chick. He really didnt show what hes been doing all season for us. And he may not get another chance now, with Dombrandt in pole, and Tom Willis coming up fast etc etc.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 6 Jul - 9:13

doctor_grey wrote:
Old Man wrote:Canada has really gone down the drain last decade. This will be a massacre
Yes, agree.  From what I hear, a lot of their funding has dried up.  Don't really know why.  If the MLR in America really becomes embedded and financially stable, they should expand across Canada to give more opportunities.  I think they have one team in Toronto.

I don't think they're helped by employing failed Welsh coaches!

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 6 Jul - 9:30

GeordieFalcon wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Just looking at all the choices and players who will either miss out or get little playing time makes the Scotland A match seem that much more important.  Really a shame, and as I said, was really hoping for more players to have a bit more opportunity to show they have the goods.

I know ive beat the falcons drum alot lately (i dont get to do it much so when i can i make the most of it :D ) but whilst i was chuffed for Blamires performance, i was disappointed for Chick. He really didnt show what hes been doing all season for us. And he may not get another chance now, with Dombrandt in pole, and Tom Willis coming up fast etc etc.

I think I read that the plan was to reschedule Scotland A - though they may be running out of time in the season.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 6 Jul - 9:36

Some of the 'young guns' will only be in the squad for experience.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 6 Jul - 9:42

lostinwales wrote:Some  of the 'young guns' will only be in the squad for experience.

True. But with Eddie, it's hard to tell which ones he's got in to take a look at and will never use again, which ones he wants to keep tabs on until he's ready for them or they're ready for him, and which ones will be catapulted into a starting lineup and cement themselves firmly in the squad. Age, experience, time in camp all have little to no bearing on what he actually does. Presumably behind the closed doors of the training pitch some players make the grade, some get notes and some play themselves out of contention, but we rarely get to see that.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 6 Jul - 9:47

In all honesty i dont think a great number will really have impressed Jones...even some of the seasoned players like Genge, Ewells etc were distinctly average.

Of all the players Steward was the one who stood out a mile, and then possibly Randall, Smith, Ludlum and Blamire after that.

A few will already have to put in a much better performance on Saturday if they are to tweak Jones interest.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 6 Jul - 9:48

Poorfour wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

I know ive beat the falcons drum alot lately (i dont get to do it much so when i can i make the most of it Very Happy ) but whilst i was chuffed for Blamires performance, i was disappointed for Chick. He really didnt show what hes been doing all season for us. And he may not get another chance now, with Dombrandt in pole, and Tom Willis coming up fast etc etc.

I think I read that the plan was to reschedule Scotland A - though they may be running out of time in the season.

I cant see them running this match Poorfour, and not sure what would be gained by it now to be honest. Jones will have seen what he is looking for in the training and two games...

As he said..its only a couple of players hes looking to move up. We probably know already on here who those will be.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 6 Jul - 9:49

Poorfour wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

All the tickets are being refunded so unlikely. I'd have thought of they were rescheduling then there would have been something announced. Tigers really could have done with the game being played it's a financial blow to the club. Only one Prem game before the end of the season and limited to 6k, that didn't even cover the season ticket holders or even come close.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 6 Jul - 9:55

GeordieFalcon wrote:In all honesty i dont think a great number will really have impressed Jones...even some of the seasoned players like Genge, Ewells etc were distinctly average.

Of all the players Steward was the one who stood out a mile, and then possibly Randall, Smith, Ludlum and Blamire after that.

A few will already have to put in a much better performance on Saturday if they are to tweak Jones interest.

I think it's generous to say Ewels was average. Genge again a little frustrating, he just doesn't seem able to get going in an England shirt. No mistakes and he dominated the scrum battle but none of the barnstorming runs we see weekly for Tigers.

Steward was always going to look good on the international stage, well with how international rugby is so territory focussed anyway. He's good positionally and in the air so dominates the backfield. He came into the line nicely for England which has been a work on for him as obviously his size game him an advantage at age grade he won't get in senior rugby. The accuracy of his kicking is slowly sharpening up as well, again I think he's got away previously with just being able to kick it a mile and at age grade the players aren't as good positionally. He brings those aspect of his game up to scratch and it'll be hard to shift him, defence is another strong point for him.

I really like the potential of Malins on the wing in more of a free role, he took that kick so well. Disappointed we didn't see more of that as I thought that brought something different to our backline.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 6 Jul - 10:13

Malins needed to nail down a performance really. He's quickly going to get pushed to the sidelines if he doesn't have that defining match.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 6 Jul - 10:32

GeordieFalcon wrote:In all honesty i dont think a great number will really have impressed Jones...even some of the seasoned players like Genge, Ewells etc were distinctly average.

I think it's generous to say Ewels was average. Genge again a little frustrating, he just doesn't seem able to get going in an England shirt. No mistakes and he dominated the scrum battle but none of the barnstorming runs we see weekly for Tigers.

Steward was always going to look good on the international stage, well with how international rugby is so territory focussed anyway. He's good positionally and in the air so dominates the backfield. He came into the line nicely for England which has been a work on for him as obviously his size game him an advantage at age grade he won't get in senior rugby. The accuracy of his kicking is slowly sharpening up as well, again I think he's got away previously with just being able to kick it a mile and at age grade the players aren't as good positionally. He brings those aspect of his game up to scratch and it'll be hard to shift him, defence is another strong point for him.

I really like the potential of Malins on the wing in more of a free role, he took that kick so well. Disappointed we didn't see more of that as I thought that brought something different to our backline.

Sam, i think Stewards attack is already pretty good. It doesnt always need to be flashy flamboyance. The lad clearly has very good basics in one on one situations, good handling etc...and hits the line at great angles. That is brutally effective at any level.

Let others do the fireworks...

i wonder how much weight he'll put on over the next year or so...and if that will be intentional (ala the gym) or just natural. He will have some presence at the back.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 6 Jul - 10:35

10. Smith / Ford
12. Farrell
13. Lawrence / Marchant / Slade
15. Steward

22. Malins
23. Daly

Thoughts? Daly might end up at outside centre I suppose, but looks pretty flexible. Of course if we get the ruddy 6-2 split its not happening

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 6 Jul - 10:39

No 7&1/2 wrote:Malins needed to nail down a performance really. He's quickly going to get pushed to the sidelines if he doesn't have that defining match.

It is frustrating because for the few minutes he was on he looked very good and every bit the test player. I know the opposition was easier but it looked like he was able to influence the game in a way that he hasn't managed to date. Maybe at this level he's better at wing than full back, but the competition at wing is huge.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Tue 6 Jul - 10:47

BamBam wrote:10. Smith / Ford
12. Farrell
15. Steward

22. Malins
23. Daly

Thoughts? Daly might end up at outside centre I suppose, but looks pretty flexible. Of course if we get the ruddy 6-2 split its not happening

The way Sam Warburton was talking up Daly as a 13 on todays BBC podcast was interesting. Focused on his attack and distribution skills, assisting others to score trys. Did state he knows it as from off the bench on Saturday, but really praised him there. He also said Farrell has to play - effectively if you want to win you have Farrell in the team.

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 6 Jul - 10:51

BamBam wrote:10. Smith / Ford
12. Farrell
15. Steward

22. Malins
23. Daly

Gatland noted the "outstanding" Daly after his appearance at 13 from the bench. Lets see how he goes starting at 13 in the next game...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 6 Jul - 10:52

Can Malins not just stick to 10 or 12?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 6 Jul - 11:16

GeordieFalcon wrote:Can Malins not just stick to 10 or 12?

I don't think he is a 12 except in an emergency. It would be really good to see him get a chance at 10 (possibly 12 too) to see what he can do.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 6 Jul - 11:25

Has Malins ever played 12? Not sure it'd suit his strengths at all to be honest.

I actually like Malins being looked at as a wing. I worry he isn't anymore solid defensively than Daly at fullback and whilst he's been exciting at 10 in bursts I think Sarries using Alex Goode as 10 cover ahead of Malins before probably tells a story of his game management there across 80 minutes.

Whilst not rapid for a wing he isn't slow either and has a lot of exciting skills to utilise in attack.

We have some excellent wings (Watson and May) and some very talented wings (Radwan and Cokanasiga) but when Nowell is injured we lack that tactical difference he offers to the others with his different skill sets. Perhaps Malins could offer that.

Versatility can be considered like a dirty word at times in rugby but players who genuinely play multiple positions to a high standard are very valuable. Gael Fickou being able to float through the French backline has been vital for their selection for instance. Daly and Nowell doing so has been important for England in the past. Perhaps Malins can offer that as well. Maybe Marchant as a genuine centre and winger.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 6 Jul - 11:32

That was my thinking of him in the 22 shirt. Emergency fly half, and covers the back 3 well. Just means we can keep Farrell at 12 in case of a fly half injury, avoiding too much reorganisation of the back line

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 6 Jul - 12:27

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Sam, i think Stewards attack is already pretty good. It doesnt always need to be flashy flamboyance. The lad clearly has very good basics in one on one situations, good handling etc...and hits the line at great angles. That is brutally effective at any level.

Let others do the fireworks...

i wonder how much weight he'll put on over the next year or so...and if that will be intentional (ala the gym) or just natural. He will have some presence at the back.

He played very well in attack for England, he played at 10 and 13 growing up before switching to 15 and you can tell with his link play. Tigers do use him out the back as the go wide option a fair bit. Attack has been the area of his game that's come to the fore the slowest. He's definitely got the top two inches because he makes good decision and hits the line well as you say. It's just fine tuning for him and again as you say he's going to finish bulking out over the next year so will be over 16 stone fairly easily and maybe towards 17. That's a physical presence at the back. Hopefully he gets a go in the AIs where it'll be a sterner test and great experience for him.

formerly known as Sam

Geordie and lostinwales like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 6 Jul - 15:13

Steward just looks a class act. So strong in air, excellent in contact, good offloading and passing game, huge boot, great positioning defensively.

He's young and will make mistakes but all players do when coming through at international level. Those mistakes will be more prominent at fullback than other positions so it wouldn't surprise me if he has one bad game at some point and the knives get sharpened. I hope Jones sticks with him though. If he wants a rock at the back to allow the wingers more freedom then England could really wish for a better prospect at 20-years-old.

king_carlos

Geordie and formerly known as Sam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Tue 6 Jul - 23:00

Are people expecting to see Dombrandt in the England team? I think this comment summed the position up last week – “Even with Tom Curry, Courtney Lawes and Sam Simmonds away with the Lions, and Billy Vunipola and Mark Wilson given a rest, Eddie Jones has managed to pick six back rowers ahead of Alex Dombrandt in this 23...”

I am expecting Eddie to find some reason not to pick him "Ahh look mate, his head is just too big after helping Quins win the premiership".
I fear he could go the same way as Zack Mercer and Sam Simmonds, and give up on England whilst Eddie is coach.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 7 Jul - 0:29

nlpnlp wrote:Are people expecting to see Dombrandt in the England team?  I think this comment summed the position up last week – “Even with Tom Curry, Courtney Lawes and Sam Simmonds away with the Lions, and Billy Vunipola and Mark Wilson given a rest, Eddie Jones has managed to pick six back rowers ahead of Alex Dombrandt in this 23...”

I am expecting Eddie to find some reason not to pick him "Ahh look mate, his head is just too big after helping Quins win the premiership".
I fear he could go the same way as Zack Mercer and Sam Simmonds, and give up on England whilst Eddie is coach.

Jones stated Dombrandt and Marchant were rested after the final where they took an absolute battering. Smith likely would have been too but he's by far the best 10 in the squad with Farrell away with the Lions and Ford injured. Personally I'd have had Joe Simmonds in this training squad as a second 10.

Not sure where that quote comes from but frankly seems a simple case of a lazy journalist being willfully blind to the information at hand so they can vomit out a lazy article.

I expect Dombrandt and Marchant will both start this weekend. Dombrandt's been around training squads since June 2019 so clearly is rated. He needed to lose some weight to improve his fitness when he first broke through with Quins but now he's done that he looks a terrific player in attack and defence.

king_carlos

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 7 Jul - 2:47

I just don't watch enough to be an expert on their development but Dombrandt was doing everything you'd want of an international 8 in the premiership final. He worked really hard and has surprising pace for such a big guy, and if there is any justice Billy will be moved on (or he has to seriously up his game).

The future at 8 is bright, and I suspect Dombrandt is just ahead of the pack.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 7 Jul - 7:04

I expect both Dombrandt and Marchant to play this weekend. They have both earned their chance. I'm hoping Marchant comes in at the expense of Slade. I can't see Eddie dropping either Ford or Farrell so we'll need a proper strike runner at 13. Hopefully Smith will be trusted with a bench spot come the AIs and will get more game time then.

Billy V has been missing his explosive carrying for a while now. He's a workhorse for the team but that isn't enough. Hopefully Dombrandt can give us what Billy V used to. Carry all day but with some real change of pace. Might be tough on Dombrandt as that's not quite how he plays for Quins but there should be some other big carriers in the England pack to share the load. Billy V might also comeback rejuvenated having had an easier time in the Championship and then a rare summer off.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 7 Jul - 8:46

Million dollar question does Jones continue down the path of limited game plan or try to add some more attacking strings to the bow. Who knows. Id like to see some form players from sides doing pretty well come in and get a run of games, they may well start initially from the bench.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 7 Jul - 9:40

No 7&1/2 wrote:Million dollar question does Jones continue down the path of limited game plan or try to add some more attacking strings to the bow. Who knows. Id like to see some form players from sides doing pretty well come in and get a run of games, they may well start initially from the bench.

His teams have been very strong on attack in the past. Can be a question of what went wrong? Why are we, for instance, less good at being patient and holding the ball in the opposition 22.

There also seems to be the perpetual issue that the perception is that we don't attack well because England rarely does 'fancy', not least because we fumble and knock on too often. Instead when we do score tries the moves tend to be very quick and direct.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 7 Jul - 10:18

i just hope Jones doesnt play Marchant on the flippin wing. Just play him at his best positon 13....give him licence to cause carnage.

Im genuinely bored with this "play a player in any position to fit in his skills"...like Malins on the wing, or Tom curry at 8 etc etc.

Just play them in their best positions...and if others are better then they miss out.

Geordie

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 7 Jul - 10:32

Like playing Malins at inside centre...

No 7&1/2

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 7 Jul - 10:51

GeordieFalcon wrote:i just hope Jones doesnt play Marchant on the flippin wing. Just play him at his best positon 13....give him licence to cause carnage.

Im genuinely bored with this "play a player in any position to fit in his skills"...like Malins on the wing, or Tom curry at 8 etc etc.

Just play them in their best positions...and if others are better then they miss out.

To be fair, Marchant has played about 50/50 wing and centre in both NZ and for Quins over the last year and a half, and seems equally comfortable in both roles. He's probably a little more effective at centre - but having a winger with his creative skills and ability to slot in almost anywhere across the backline adds a different dimension to the play when you have a good 13 on the pitch.

To some extent it's a question of finding the best positions for the players available. If you want to fit Daly, Marchant and Malins into a squad, for instance, I'd prefer to see Daly at 13, Malins at 15 and Marchant on the wing. But if we already had, say, Radwan, Nowell and Steward in the team, Marchant would be my preferred 13 on form.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 7 Jul - 18:06

Poorfour wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:i just hope Jones doesnt play Marchant on the flippin wing. Just play him at his best positon 13....give him licence to cause carnage.

To be fair, Marchant has played about 50/50 wing and centre in both NZ and for Quins over the last year and a half, and seems equally comfortable in both roles. He's probably a little more effective at centre - but having a winger with his creative skills and ability to slot in almost anywhere across the backline adds a different dimension to the play when you have a good 13 on the pitch.

To some extent it's a question of finding the best positions for the players available. If you want to fit Daly, Marchant and Malins into a squad, for instance, I'd prefer to see Daly at 13, Malins at 15 and Marchant on the wing. But if we already had, say, Radwan, Nowell and Steward in the team, Marchant would be my preferred 13 on form.
You take all the fun out of a debate if you a re going to be flippin logical about things.  

I am going to use that flippin word all afternoon.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 8 Jul - 11:13

15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)
14. Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 10 caps)
13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 39 caps)
12. Dan Kelly (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
11. Adam Radwan (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
10. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 1 cap)
9. Harry Randall (Bristol Bears, 1 cap)

1. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 29 caps)
2. Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons, 1 cap)
3. Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)
4. Harry Wells (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
5. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 22 caps)
6. Lewis Ludlow (C) (Gloucester Rugby, 1 cap)
7. Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 23 caps)
8. Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, uncapped)

FINISHERS
16. Curtis Langdon (Sale Sharks, 1 cap)
17. Beno Obano (Bath Rugby, 2 caps)
18. Paul Hill (Northampton Saints, 5 caps)
19. Callum Chick (Newcastle Falcons, 1 cap)
20. Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 9 caps)
21. Dan Robson (Wasps, 13 caps)
22. George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 3 caps)
23. Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 5 caps)

Posting here for the match thread. Dombrandt is starting at 8 even though the RFU forgot to include him on the team sheet

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 8 Jul - 11:18

happy days.....

Why Ludlow though? Dont get that one. Surely Ludlum would have been better!

Dan Kelly ...happy to see him getting a start aswell...

That back three has it all...a brick wall FB, a monster unit and a flyer...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 8 Jul - 11:21

I wonder if Alex Mitchell is carrying an injury?

I don't understand why Ludlow is still there. He was anonymous last week. Good to see Kelly getting a start. Glad Paul Hill is getting another go off the bench, but we are short of lock cover.

That back 3 looks epic.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 8 Jul - 11:26

Possibility that Dombrandt is covering lock?

As i incorrectly posted on the USA thread that backline could be very nice. Lots of options for Smith from them from dancing around, smashing through or just out and out speed.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 8 Jul - 11:37

Would have been nice to see Marchant start, and hope to see Obano get more time this time around.

Agree on Ludlow. Why? Ludlam was terrific when he got on the pitch last week. Better to make Genge captain (or even Ewels)

Furbank also meh but he might surprise us. Back division looks a lot of fun and really hope it clicks.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next