The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Summer of Cricket 2021

+17
Pal Joey
GSC
Jetty
Lowlandbrit
JDizzle
AlciG
eirebilly
Good Golly I'm Olly
sirfredperry
VTR
Gooseberry
KP_fan
guildfordbat
Soul Requiem
Duty281
alfie
msp83
21 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2021 Empty England's Summer of Cricket 2021

Post by msp83 Sat 14 Aug 2021, 6:25 pm

Siraj will have a couple of deliveries at Anderson. The lead is already a nice 25.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2021 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2021

Post by alfie Sat 14 Aug 2021, 6:26 pm

Ten ball over ...wow.

Root might look to keep the strike from here , as it appears England are trying to bat the day out.

Now Siraj gets his chance to bounce poor old Jimmy...or he might try to get him out ?

One more over , I think ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 14 Aug 2021, 6:31 pm

Anderson, grumpy by default, could be riled up and seriously looking forward to having that ball in his hands tomorrow...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 14 Aug 2021, 6:34 pm

Poor old Anderson, not my favorite English player. But I really wanted him to survive the day, and if anyone were to get out, I was hoping it would be Root! The old man did have a torrid time out there, not helped by that chain of no-balls from Bumrah. Yet Anderson showed courage a plenty...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 14 Aug 2021, 6:37 pm

Root left on 180* with Anderson getting bowled.

But comfortably England's day and they're now favourites for the test. Root the star with a good supporting act from various players, mainly Bairstow who was perhaps frustrated he only made 57. Siraj the pick of the bowlers in a quite ragged display from India, until they tidied up late on (except Bumrah!).

Now down to England's bowlers v a suspect Indian batting order. 8 down is a long tail. 3-7 is fragile, especially Pujara and Rahane. It's the Indian openers that have foiled England so far. If they continue that tomorrow India will get back ahead; but if Anderson and Robinson start brilliantly with the new ball, say a 25/2-type scoreline, then England may win the test tomorrow.

Still a good batting wicket, only one ball I can remember misbehaving today, but there is plenty of swing with the new ball and the opening 10-15 overs tomorrow will go a long way to deciding the destiny of this enthralling test match.

Well done again to Joe Root, a marvel. clap

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 14 Aug 2021, 6:37 pm

Anderson bowled on the last ball of the day...amazingly it wasn't a no ball Smile

Root unconquerable on 180. Lead of a meagre 27. Think England will be a little disappointed not to have survived that last ball as they obviously wanted to rush the Indian openers tomorrow- not happening now.

Wonder if they'd have done better had Moeen - or even Robinson or Wood - been released to have a swing ? We have no way of knowing...anyway they've taken a lead which looked unlike after Sibley and Hameed went early do s good days work.

Salute to Joe Root thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 14 Aug 2021, 6:40 pm

So India yet again, had to go around Joe Root. Unlike in the last test, he didn't give up at any point, so by the time India were done with the others, England reached nearly 400. And after what seems like a long time, Root has failed to score more than 50 percent of his team's runs!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 14 Aug 2021, 6:42 pm

Aimed primarily at Duty, wondering what Roots average this year is.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 14 Aug 2021, 6:42 pm

Hit it on the button there , Duty : getting the Indian openers - something that has proved impossible so far - is the key tomorrow.

I thought it was important that England bat all day , as Jimmy and Robinson bowled about thirty overs each and needed a full rest. Though Jimmy could probably have done without getting no balled to death there by Bumrah Smile

Good Test Match , this. Hopefully more good action tomorrow...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 14 Aug 2021, 6:44 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Aimed primarily at Duty, wondering what Roots average this year is.

69.11 for the calendar year, 75 for the four tests he's played this summer.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/303669.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 14 Aug 2021, 6:48 pm

England, with a balanced team with the returning Moeen, has the advantage. They may be batting last, but there is no Ravichandran Ashwin to torment them in the 4th innings. With Bumrah struggling, Ishant and Shami inconsistent, Jadeja neutralized as an attacking option by the conditions, and a batting lineup that is far too dependent on the openers, the all-rounder and the wicketkeeper with nothing expected from 8 onwards and nothing coming from 3 to 5, a disaster is right on cards. And they have fired up Anderson even more.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Aug 2021, 6:49 pm

clap clap to Root and another clap to Duty whose pre-series prediction of no side reaching 400 lives on. Not easy to see either side having a better chance of getting there and failing.

And yes, Olly, I am irritated that India have from now until 11 o'clock tomorrow to prepare for their second dig rather than having a 10 minute turn around some time in the morning. I was only following on cricinfo at the end - it was suggested there that Root declined a single late on from Anderson which would have put Root on strike for the final 2 deliveries. Is that right? If so, I feel it was the wrong decision and regulars will know that's not just with hindsight.

Anyway, game wonderfully set up for the last two days and, Alfie, decent weather to go with it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 14 Aug 2021, 7:02 pm

There is Eng batting, still quite mediocre and then there is Root...batting like Smith was in his purple patch,
Law of averages is just not catching up with him. England's Summer of Cricket 2021 1f632

At Trent Bridge  a great inning from him got Eng into the last day and then it rained.
If he bats like this and gets a 100 in 2nd inning too....Eng will win
Get him cheap or even moderately cheap ( like 45ish) and game's almost in the pocket.

BUT
Before that India needs to put out a SOLID second inning and bat positively.
Eng also must not bowl defensive containing lines...else they stand risk of again creating a situation where only one team can lose.
lead of 240 to 260 will be game even I think

Did Ind miss Ashwin?...maybe not, probably yes
His replacement Ishant's 3-64 and Jadeja's 0-43 makes me inclined towards most probably not.
We did miss his batting....20 odd runs and a bit more time to jadeja to play out..and score more.

Eng's 8 thru 11 match Ind's with the bat in first inning.......and I think it was heartless of Root not to have declared when Anderson got the blow on helmet
Anderson deserves not to be physically exposed & tactically a 2 over burst against Indian openers could have dented only one side
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 14 Aug 2021, 7:39 pm

KP_fan wrote:There is Eng batting, still quite mediocre and then there is Root...batting like Smith was in his purple patch,
Law of averages is just not catching up with him. England's Summer of Cricket 2021 1f632

At Trent Bridge  a great inning from him got Eng into the last day and then it rained.
If he bats like this and gets a 100 in 2nd inning too....Eng will win
Get him cheap or even moderately cheap ( like 45ish) and game's almost in the pocket.

BUT
Before that India needs to put out a SOLID second inning and bat positively.
Eng also must not bowl defensive containing lines...else they stand risk of again creating a situation where only one team can lose.
lead of 240 to 260 will be game even I think

Did Ind miss Ashwin?...maybe not, probably yes
His replacement Ishant's 3-64 and Jadeja's 0-43 makes me inclined towards most probably not.
We did miss his batting....20 odd runs and a bit more time to jadeja to play out..and score more.

Eng's 8 thru 11 match Ind's with the bat in first inning.......and I think it was heartless of Root not to have declared when Anderson got the blow on helmet
Anderson deserves not to be physically exposed & tactically a 2 over burst against Indian openers could have dented only one side
KPF, Not sure I would go with you on the Ashwin call. We missed Ashwin's wicket-taking abilities when the pitch wasn't giving the bowlers anything extravagant. While Jadeja, as expected, gave great control, going above the 2 run per over mark only in his last over, he wasn't a serious wicket-taking threat. And as you said, we did miss Ashwin the batter. But Ashwin's going to be missed even more in the last innings unless of course the team back their skipper up with a 36 all out like performance tomorrow morning!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 14 Aug 2021, 7:43 pm

On the Anderson question, I don't think Root could exactly have declared, but afterwards at least, he should have tried to play his shots and ensure Anderson doesn't have to take strike, or get him away at the first given opportunity. That blow was just nasty! Guess Bumrah can expect a few short ones from Wood and co throughout the rest of the series.
The one man who could have saved Kohli the Ashwin blushes would have been Bumrah, but he had a terrible day in office after his delayed first spell of the day.
Lets see, whether the skipper can make up for his blunders so far, with a telling Kohli-like contribution with the bat tomorrow.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 14 Aug 2021, 8:06 pm

I combine my response to both your posts together msp
We are in agreement that theoretically we missed the runs from Ashwin,.....that said the man who played in lieu of him in last game as a bowling allrounder i.e shardul scored a naught for all his batting repute
and Eng's fancier 8 thru 11 also totaled in single digits between them I think today.

I don't think Ashwin could have done much better than Ishant's 3-64 in 24 overs.
RE: second inning......Ashwin is not a 2nd inning dependent bowler....and if pitch deteriorates Jadeja alone would be a killer

On Bumrah not delivering today....remember he blasted Eng out with a 9fer in last game
Siraj had an ordinary last game...was breathing fire in this inning
Ishant looked totally cold in WTC final and for his first 10 to 12 overs in this inning....and then he bowled himself into some kinda rhythm

Kohli has realized and I am kinda beginning to see that

1. Spinners will not win you tests in English conditions ..at best they can play a support role and come into some threat creating situation in some tests only if they are getting to bowl 4th  and pitch is dry/ deteriorated. Therefore one spinner who can exert control and exploit the 3rd / 4th inning pitch is enuf.

2. Not all seamers will be in peak rhythm in every game.....so if you have 4.....you will most likely find 3 firing well and workload is more even.

As I said I am not totally in agreement with him...but kinda beginning to see his thinking
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 14 Aug 2021, 8:11 pm

Hi chaps just popped back in to remind everyone that Root is pathetic and a coward.

And to remind kpf that Moeen Ali won at least one test in English conditions against India. Of course there's some debate if he actually qualifies as a spinner.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 14 Aug 2021, 8:47 pm

Maligned Ali first inning summary
-two and a half times more runs with the bat then all other bowlers put together
-58 run partnership with Root

-economy with the ball better than 40% of the bowlers
-More wickets in single inning than Eng's 4th bowler has managed in two and a half innings

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 14 Aug 2021, 9:49 pm

He's only known as Maligned Ali in your head. He's a hugely popular player with England cricket fans

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Aug 2021, 6:28 am

guildfordbat wrote:clap clap to Root and another clap to Duty whose pre-series prediction of no side reaching 400 lives on. Not easy to see either side having a better chance of getting there and failing.

And yes, Olly, I am irritated that India have from now until 11 o'clock tomorrow to prepare for their second dig rather than having a 10 minute turn around some time in the morning. I was only following on cricinfo at the end - it was suggested there that Root declined a single late on from Anderson which would have put Root on strike for the final 2 deliveries. Is that right? If so, I feel it was the wrong decision and regulars will know that's not just with hindsight.

Anyway, game wonderfully set up for the last two days and, Alfie, decent weather to go with it.

Thought you would have been in favour of England's attempts to bat into Sunday if only for a ball or two , guildford Smile Yes Root declined a clear single with a couple of balls left - but had it not been retrospectively called as an overstep would have been only one...small margins. Actually was a little surprised he took a single himself to allow Jimmy on strike that over after all the efforts to ensure not losing the last wicket : had expected him to just block the over out himself unless a boundary was available. He was tired though and you can't really criticize a man who has just made 180 no !

Another school of thought has it that England might have done better to have a late swing , maybe reached a similar score , and had three or four overs at India before the close... all those untestable scenarios , eh ?

Hope Jimmy isn't too bruised and battered. More important is how fresh he is for bowling. Judging from first innings he remains far and away the premier cutting edge as well as control master in this England attack. At least he can set himself for nothing but bowling in the morning.

I do think England should have made 400 , by the way. Credit to India for spirited efforts after tea to claw things back ; but despite England's supposedly strong last five they actually didn't do a lot : possibly stroke play isn't as easy as we might think on this slow pitch ? Just because Root can walk on water , not so for lesser mortals ? It did also appear the aim of batting the day out might have left the later bats - and even Root - a bit less certain in their intentions and cost a few runs. But I shouldn't carp : for this (modest) batting line-up to do so well under some scoreboard pressure is a decent achievement.

alfie

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Aug 2021, 6:50 am

I had a look at the weather forecast and I see they aren't really expecting any rain - but I also note there is some % chance of the odd shower , particularly in the morning : and it sometimes seems that if it can rain on an English cricket ground - it will Smile

Does seem likely to be fine though. And a bit cloudy and humid so that really ought to suit the bowlers. Which I suppose goes some way to vindicating the "bowl first" choice at the toss (as long as the pitch doesn't turn square on day five as they have to chase a total !)

Duty has England ahead in the game with the proviso that this changes if Rohit and Rahul do their thing again. Probably fair (they do have a lead , albeit a small one) but any advantage is minimal. You'd imagine if India do bat well they will still be reluctant to set England a reachable target so that would point towards a draw : perhaps the best chance for either team to get a result would be for them to be bowled out on Sunday.

Been a good match so far. Not even going to attempt to predict where it goes from here but am glad I am able to watch it all night to relieve the good old Melbourne lockdown blues...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 15 Aug 2021, 8:09 am

Have been to all three days of the Test so far. India had to bat in by far the worst conditions and at 270-2 towards the end of the first day they looked well on for 500 at least.

The better bowling by England on Day 2 meant the score was limited to 364 which seemed a long way off when Root walked in at 23 for two.

With Burns and Root becalmed I just wonder whether just one over turned the match. Perhaps Siraj was kept on too long, but that over in which Burns cracked three 4s seemed to get the England innings going.

It was another terrific effort by Root but this time he had support with four successive partnerships of at least 50.

The atmosphere at the end, with Bumrah pummeling Jimmy and a big Indian following proving vocal, was terrific.

As was said above, the best hope for a result is for India to get bowled out today. If India are still batting at the end of Sunday then a draw looks likely. The 33 extras conceded by India might make a difference if it gets close.

sirfredperry

guildfordbat and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Aug 2021, 8:25 am

alfie wrote:I had a look at the weather forecast and I see they aren't really expecting any rain - but I also note there is some % chance of the odd shower , particularly in the morning : and it sometimes seems that if it can rain on an English cricket ground - it will Smile

Does seem likely to be fine though. And a bit cloudy and humid so that really ought to suit the bowlers. Which I suppose goes some way to vindicating the "bowl first" choice at the toss (as long as the pitch doesn't turn square on day five as they have to chase a total !)

Alfie - I'm assured it'll be a fine day. I'll be just across the river for Surrey's RL 50 quarter-final - the tournament in this country hardly anyone plays now even though we are world champions. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 15 Aug 2021, 9:13 am

Just catching up on the highlights - wonderful knock by Root, what a player he truly is!

SirFred’s point about four successive fifty partnerships is a good one, but has to be slightly disappointing that Curran/Robinson/Wood couldn’t hang around and contribute a 20/30 to the score to really help England to a very good position. Curran is having a proper stinker of a game so far.

And a word for Bairstow, as much as I have criticised his red ball batting for the last few years he deserves credit for this change of technique/stance, he certainly seems more solid and comfortable at the crease with it. In fact he must be slightly annoyed at his two dismissals to the short ball in his last two innings when looking good…hasn’t really made that score to “cement” his place for a few months yet.

You’d think the draw is the slight favourite at the moment, as others have said the pitch is still playing nicely. England will be hoping for early inroads, Rohit/Rahul have done a Sterling job this tour so far of making sure that’s not the case though…
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 10:36 am

Seems like England will be starting off with favourable bowling conditions - light drizzle around at the moment and some low, dark clouds.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:01 am

Both openers away of the first balls they faced.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:03 am

Anderson's radar not quite on with the first couple of deliveries, but then he has just bended one back to KL who managed to deal with it just about.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:13 am

Pitch showing slight signs of being a 4th day one. One kept a touch low, and one kicked up a bit to hit Rahul on the hand...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:14 am

Seems Robinson's fresh of a bit of a chat to Jasprit Bumrah. Contributes one of his own to the no-ball kitty in the match!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:23 am

Yes might be a bit of variable bounce as this goes on...wouldn't expect it to get too crazy but could catch someone out at some point.

I see Wood is into the attack much earlier than first time around. Might be a factor.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:24 am

Interesting early change to put Wood in to bowl the sixth over - not sure it's one I would have made.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:28 am

An early bowling change, and rather than Sam Curran, it was Mark Wood that Root turned to, in stead of Robinson. A bit surprised that there was a change in the first place, and the nature of the change as well. Uneventful start from Wood...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:30 am

Yeah not sure why Wood has come on so early - he is still showing absolutely no signs of rectifying his rather horrendous bowling record in England
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:31 am

Ah, thought that was out in real time. Just 'umpire's call' on review.

Would have been a just reward for a good opening spell from Anderson.

Seeing a bit more variable bounce this morning which will be pleasing to England for now, but not if India end up with a lead of 250.

Last edited by Duty281 on Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:32 am

This Indian opening pair have been excellent in both games. Really stopped England from getting at the middle order early and removed any hopes of knocking India over early. Looking pretty solid again this morning.

Close lbw call...worth a review this time I think. But umpire's call so Rahul survives. Good from Anderson though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:32 am

Rahul survives on umpire's call. That won't improve Anderson's mood!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:33 am

Thought that looked pretty plumb in real time.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:34 am

Anderson's beginning to make the ball talk a bit.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:36 am

Wood as usual, is bowling quick, but is not able to get much out of the track. If they needed a change in bowling early, should have been Sam I suppose.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:44 am

Wood hasn't looked like getting a wicket, but that's cricket for you. Big breakthrough to get Rahul, the better of the two openers, early and get Pujara at the crease to a new ball.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:46 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Yeah not sure why Wood has come on so early - he is still showing absolutely no signs of rectifying his rather horrendous bowling record in England

Well done Olly Smile

The break they wanted : just as India were getting closer to seeing off Anderson too. Good pace and bounce from Wood .

I didn't mind the Wood ploy at all . Robinson was a bit wayward - probably be back at the other end. And not too much faith in Sam right now.

Pujara in early which is what they wanted. But he's a fighter , even if he's out of sorts : not assuming anything.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:59 am

You silly boy, Rohit. Falls into the obvious trap, not unlike Bairstow in the previous test. Good take from Moeen in the deep.

27/2...pretty close to the 25/2 I wanted last night. Openers out of the way early and now into the fragile 3-7.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:59 am

Ha ! Could see that coming...

Thought when Rohit levelled the scores with the six that Wood shouldn't mind him playing that. Good catch by Moeen thumbsup

Wood doing a fine job here and England are off to a good start after 1 hour...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 15 Aug 2021, 12:00 pm

That was dumb from Rohit, really dumb.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Aug 2021, 12:05 pm

Jimmy has Pujara under pressure now...question will be how long he stays on as he's bowled seven already. Don't want to take too much out of him early on so thus is a balancing act...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 15 Aug 2021, 12:11 pm

Imagine Anderson will be very keen to stay on as he's bowled well without reward and he likes bowling to Pujara and Kohli, but like you say he'll need to be managed well.

Into his eighth over now. Been hitting over 85mph on the speedgun a few times, too.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Aug 2021, 12:15 pm

Easy to be critical of Rohit , by the way. But if he'd put the second one into the stands as well people would be praising him for taking the game back to Wood...

I agree he should probably have been more circumspect. But he has had a lot of success taking them on like that. Doesn't work every time , eh ?

Still a good deal more good batting to come. But if one of these two were to fall quickly the pressure will become pretty hot...

Curran on now for Wood. With a bit to prove.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Aug 2021, 12:26 pm

Anderson and Kohli having a few words...can't be anything too much as the umpires seem unconcerned. Both big enough to look after themselves.

Might be enough for Jimmy - nine over spell. Should be Robinson time.

Pujara battling hard. 29 balls still on nought...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 15 Aug 2021, 12:34 pm

alfie wrote:Easy to be critical of Rohit , by the way. But if he'd put the second one into the stands as well people would be praising him for taking the game back to Wood...

I agree he should probably have been more circumspect. But he has had a lot of success taking them on like that. Doesn't work every time , eh ?

Still a good deal more good batting to come. But if one of these two were to fall quickly the pressure will become pretty hot...

Curran on now for Wood. With a bit to prove.

Second time in the series he's got out to the short ball now, play on his ego and he'll eventually do something silly seems the plan.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Aug 2021, 12:42 pm

That's the thing about players like Rohit , isn't it ? Tempting their ego can get them to make an error - as today. On another day it can see them race away scoring. Bit like spinners sometimes to KP...

Pujara , by contrast , is a very patient man. Relieved to have broken a thirty five ball duck !

Curran tidy so far. Think we might see Moeen for an over or so before lunch though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next