The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open 2021

+17
dummy_half
laverfan
JuliusHMarx
maverickmak
alfie
Atila
CaledonianCraig
Soul Requiem
theslosty
slashermcguirk
lags72
Born Slippy
MrInvisible
Oioi
Henman Bill
No name Bertie
sirfredperry
21 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

US Open 2021 Empty US Open 2021

Post by sirfredperry Fri 27 Aug 2021, 7:25 am

The draw has been made and, as has been mentioned in the previous topic, Murray has the short straw this time - Tsitsipas in the first round.

Cameron Norrie has a tricky first round, against Spain youngster Alcaraz. Djoko gets a possible semi against Zverev, while Tsitsipas is in Medvedev's half. Medvedev doesn't have the easiest of starts - first up Gasquet and then, possibly, former US winner Cilic.

For me, Djoko is still favourite but not overwhelming favourite. We don't quite know what shape his body is in and he's had no real preparation. Zverev, Medvedev and Tsitsipas will all fancy their chances. I would be surprised if the winner came from anyone outside these aforesaid foursome.

Others with a chance? Rublev probably leads the next-favourite field. I'm not a big Berrettini fan but I suppose a case can be made out for him (message to his opponents - just stick it on his backhand).

For once of late, there appears to be a clear favourite in the women - Barty. Osaka, though, has twice won the US and if she can get her head sorted out she could do well. There are so many GS champs lining up that, as usual, it's mighty hard to predict how the women's tournament will pan out.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

US Open 2021 Empty Re: US Open 2021

Post by No name Bertie Fri 27 Aug 2021, 11:08 am

Tsitsipas record at the US Open has been dreadful and I think that has to count for something when determining likelihood to challenge for the title.  Given what we know of as of today I am going to suggest a Zverev vs Medvedev final.  I don't think Tsitsipas will make it to the semi-final.

No name Bertie wrote:Andy Murray was never going to win the US Open but he could upset someone early on.  Tsitsipas' record at US Open has been poor:
2018: 2R
2019: 1R
2020: 3R
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 27 Aug 2021, 12:56 pm

Andy was bound to have meet a highly-ranked guy in a first round sooner or later.

As NNB points out, maybe if he's going to get a big name it might as well be the Greek who is no great shakes in NY.

Dan Evans, not doing that well at the moment is seeded to meet Dimi in the third round. Dimi continues to have inexplicable early-round losses but from time to time he goes deep in a big tournament.

Kyrgios v RBA is one of the more-intriguing first-round clashes. Isner's first match is against up-and-coming US youngster Brandon Nakashima. Casper Ruud, now as highly ranked as 8th, takes on J-W T first up.

Awful draw for Halep. She gets Giorgi who is fresh off the biggest title of her career. Stephens faces Keys in a repeat of their US final.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 27 Aug 2021, 3:07 pm

I not sure if he has said anything on the matter but I think Novak will be disappointed that Rafa and Roger are not there. He is such a competitor, that I think he would want to win this, arguably the most important tournament of his entire career, in a battle royale against the fiercest competitors of his career.

Some people love it when their best competitors don't play well or are injured.

But Novak would have preferred to have to come through a 5-setter against Rafa or Roger at his best to win the title.

I don't think anyone will be able to asterisk his CYGS though if he makes it. He beat Rafa at the French, Roger was in the Wimbledon draw and likely would have been beaten by Novak if necessary.

And the players most likely to actually be able to win the US Open are actually playing. I'm not sure if Roger or Rafa would have been competitive anyway, and I don't think Thiem would have won it again.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Oioi Fri 27 Aug 2021, 4:13 pm

Agree that there would be no real asterisk for the CYGS if Djokovic does it, though I would rate his non-calendar GS as a greater achievement due to the higher level of competition he faced back then. I didn't think Rafa looked himself in that RG match and it's telling that he only played a couple of matches since before deciding to call it a season. It still took a remarkable performance from Djokovic to beat him though. I'd say Djoko's competition in the last couple of years is similar to what Fed faced in his early years. Not bad, just not close to the heights of the peak big 3 era.

Oioi

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 27 Aug 2021, 8:22 pm

It could be argued that there should be no asterisks AT ANY TIME in sport. But, clearly, some triumnps are more easily attained than others.

But like a batsman's average, things even out. You get lucky in some tournaments (the big seeds are beaten for you, or your opponent falls over) but then you can get terrible draws tournament after tournament.

Meanwhile, there's good news for British tennis in that Emma Raducanu has qualified, in some style, for the USO.

It always looked as if she could get thru' two rounds of qualifying but would then come up against the fourth seed Mayar Sherif of Egypt, ranked 95. But Emma saw her off 1 and 4.

As I write Britain's Katie Boulter has also qualified - beating Slovakia's Kucova 6-4 in the final set. Excellent effort.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 28 Aug 2021, 7:49 am

Harriet Dart made it a trio of British qualifiers for the main draw.

Raducanu a little unlucky, in that she has drawn 13th seed Brady. I thought Andy M might get a night match on Monday but he's second on (when it could be mighty hot) v Tsitsipas.

Djoko appears to be raring to go. No mention from him of any injury concerns so we'll have to assume he's going to be fine.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat 28 Aug 2021, 11:29 am

Whereabouts are the qualifying tournaments played? Is it in Flushing Meadows - the same location as the US Open. If so what courts do they play on - do they get to play on any of the main courts, the minor courts or non tournament courts. Or do they play somewhere other than Flushing Meadows?
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat 28 Aug 2021, 11:39 am

Ivo Karlović aged 42 qualified, Ernests Gulbis aged 32 was knocked out in the final round of qualifying. Holger Rune aged 18 also qualified. He is Danish.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat 28 Aug 2021, 11:49 am

I have just checked and the Qualifying Tournaments are played at Flushing Meadows - the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center - and occurs on the minor courts from 4 to 17.

I had been thinking qualifiers will be match sharp and familiar with the conditions and so may cause difficulties to whoever they play in the first round because of that advantage. However I suspect the main courts play a bit differently because they will be surrounded by large spectator stands.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Sun 29 Aug 2021, 1:04 pm

I agree with SFP's assessment that Djokovic is favourite but not as heavy a favourite as he was for Aus Open or Wimbledon.  Looking at the draw I really can't see any huge problems for him until the semis where he's likely to meet Zverev.

Medvedev has quite a nice draw, and whilst I wouldn't read too much into Tsitsipas's prior record at Flushing Meadow at this stage of his career, I think the Russian is better placed to come through that half - I think on the US Open hardcourts he's a slightly better more accomplished player.

Out of the Brits Cam Norrie has a well earned seeding and looks to have a favourable draw and Dan Evans can potentially win a couple of matches too in his section of the draw - good opportunities for both.  Great to see bit Ivo Karlovic has qualified - what a legend!  I probably rate Berrettini a bit higher than SFP does, but in this tournament, I don't see him going so far and he could come unstuck against Chardy in 1st round. Rublev or either of the 2 young Canadians Shapovalov or Felix A-A look better placed to go further in my view.

On the womens, despite her issues this year, Osaka is pure class on the hardcourts and can't see anyone beating her.  I think Barty is bit more vulnerable on hardcourts than other surfaces.  Keep an eye out for Halep who's back this tournament.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 30 Aug 2021, 9:14 am

Day one of the USO sees Andy Murray taking on Tsitsipas in the second match on the main show court.

No fewer than six women GS champs in action today (there's so many I may have missed one). The men today can boast just one - Cilic.

I see Kyrgios has got one of the night matches, the organisers presumably expecting fireworks from the Aussie.

Evans, Watson and Konta all play on the same court one after the other. Watson is having a nightmare season and Dan ain't doing too well either. With Konta a bit of an unknown quantity at present, we could see all three eliminated on the first day.

There are some good matches in prospect for a first round and there could be some upsets.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 30 Aug 2021, 10:15 am

Tsitsipas has been accused of breaking the rules. He tends to go to the toilet after every set (if allowed to) to "change his shorts". Meanwhile his father or coach is seen texting away during this period.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 30 Aug 2021, 10:47 am

sirfredperry wrote:Day one of the USO sees Andy Murray taking on Tsitsipas in the second match on the main show court.

No fewer than six women GS champs in action today (there's so many I may have missed one). The men today can boast just one - Cilic.

I see Kyrgios has got one of the night matches, the organisers presumably expecting fireworks from the Aussie.

Evans, Watson and Konta all play on the same court one after the other. Watson is having a nightmare season and Dan ain't doing too well either. With Konta a bit of an unknown quantity at present, we could see all three eliminated on the first day.

There are some good matches in prospect for a first round and there could be some upsets.

Murray 😉?

Surprised Tsitsipas v Murray isn’t the night match. It’s a blockbuster for a first round match, even with Murray being a shadow of his former self. Hopefully he can roll back the years for a one-off win.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Oioi Mon 30 Aug 2021, 11:24 am

I'm backing Murray to make a good account of himself for a couple of sets today, perhaps winning one. I don't think he'll be able to maintain it for 3rd set though so I predict something like 6-7 7-5 6-3 6-3 to Tsitsi.

Oioi

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 30 Aug 2021, 12:33 pm

BornS - Sorry about forgetting Murray! Easy to miss one of the women GS-winning players as there are so many. There's only three men's GS winners in the New York draw and I managed to forget one.

I, too, would have put Murray on tonight but there is a good programme on offer, nevertheless.

Andy has a tough challenge today. Can't really see him winning. But he's such a fighter that you never know. The good thing is that he's playing reasonably regularly again and seems to be feeling OK.

The hope is that he can put in a good shift for the rest of the season.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 30 Aug 2021, 2:50 pm

sfp referenced Emma Raducanu above as being “a little unlucky” in drawing Jennifer Brady. That certainly is the case !
Emma deserves a lot of credit for qualifying (as she said herself, it was really good to get there on her own merits, as opposed to the WC she was (rightly !) awarded at Wimbledon). Easy to forget just how much of a battle it is to get through three Q rounds in a field of tough & similarly determined fellow-competitors. The experienced Brady, ranked World 14, will most likely  prove a step too far in R1 proper - BUT if Emma does come through, it would be another significant step along the way in what already looks to be a very promising future.

I would pick out Cam Norrie’s opener as another intriguing one. Whilst he should have enough to see off young Carlos Alcaraz, I feel it could possibly turn out to be more of a test than some might expect. Having seen Alcaraz play a few matches since he appeared on the main tour, he looks to me like a genuine prospect. Rafa has lavished some praise on him, and  I don’t believe he did so just because he’s a fellow Spaniard. Alcaraz may very well end up with clay as his best surface (and no great surprise if he did !) although the days of ‘clay-courters’ being unable to perform at high level on hard or grass are largely consigned to the past.

Finally on Andy M : as others have mentioned, it’s undoubtedly a very ‘harsh’ draw, which of course is the simple R1 reality for any non-seeds. He says he’s keen to see where his game is in relation to the current top guys, and he will surely get his answer - whether for good or bad ! - in this contest with the highly-talented Tsitsipas.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Mon 30 Aug 2021, 5:03 pm

Dan Evans takes the first set 6-3 against Monteiro, Dan looking pretty sharp out there - hitting his shots with conviction and moving well.  Meanwhile, Halep has taken the first set against Giorgi 6-4 and evergreen Feliciano Lopez is up a set against countryman Zapata Miralles.  Strangest score so far coming from the Humbert v Gojowdzyk match - the Frenchman won the 1st set 6-1 but is down 5-0 in the 2nd set.

Vesely v Anderson, two big servers, unsurprisingly into 1st set tie-break, that one could do the distance.

Edit: for those of you without subscription for US Open coverage (think its Amazon Prime?) I've just been able to get on and get some free streaming coverage via a site at LiveTv.sx

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 30 Aug 2021, 5:36 pm

Halep has just had three MPs rubbed out by Giorgi. Thought this would be a tough match and Simona really needs to wrap it up.

Evans now 4-2 down in the second set.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 30 Aug 2021, 5:48 pm

No luck with that LiveTv.sx link. Better luck for Halep who, having wasted three MPs, came thru in the ensuing tiebreak to make the second round after a particularly difficult opener.

Another GS champ with a difficult first match is Muguruza. But facing Vekic, Mug is a set and a break up.

Evans has got it back on serve in the second set and instead of being one set all he has a chance of a two sets to love lead.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 30 Aug 2021, 6:04 pm

One of the early winners today was 18-yr-old Canadian prospect Leylah Fernandez, who is already 73 in the world. Canada have an ever-increasing supply of good players.

Evergreen Feliciano Lopez was pegged back to one set all in his match but leads in the third. Amazing that he's still going strong.

Andy M may have to wait a while before getting on. Having lost the first set to Stephens, Keys is 3-0 in the second.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 30 Aug 2021, 6:22 pm

Evans had a set point in his second-set tiebreak but lost it. One set all and it could be a struggle now for Dan.

Keys levels the match with Stephens, with Murray next on on that court.

F A-A looks like going two set to one down to Donskoy. He trails 4-2 in the third.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 30 Aug 2021, 9:30 pm

Murray, playing very well by all accounts, took the first set v Tsitsipas 6-2 and it's now 5-5 in the second.

Evans finished strongly to win in four but Konta pulled out and Watson, unsurprisingly, lost in straight sets.

F A-A who looked in trouble came thru a four-hour match OK in the end but Cilic, who was two sets up, had to retire early in the 5th v Kohlschreiber.

Young hope Nakashima remembered that you just have to win tiebreaks v Isner, taking both of them and a third set as well to win.

Peter Gojowczyk knocked out 23rd seed Humbert in five.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Aug 2021, 11:58 pm

These ridiculous toilet breaks are truly embarrassing for the sport. I’d consider it akin to doping.
Tsitsipas is allowed 5 minutes to go toilet. Yet he managed to waste 8 minutes. The chair umpire literally sits there and does nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oioi Tue 31 Aug 2021, 1:05 am

Don't think I've ever seen Andy so openly pissed off at an opponent before and that's saying something. I suspect he was possibly even more annoyed at Djokovic in that AO final where he seemed to overexaggerate physical issues for a bit before suddenly playing incredible tennis.

Anyway, the tennis was superb from both players. Murray could have won in straight sets considering he had 2 set points in the tie break but the stats suggest Tsitsi was the better player in most categories so a deserved win for him. If Murray can just stay fit then I think we may see him at the latter stages of slams again. He doesn't necessarily have to improve his ranking either as he's showed he's capable of bringing it to a high seeded player in the 1st round, and if he wins he gets their draw from that point forward.

As for Tsitsipas, I think he needs to be careful, he's developing a reputation for gamesmanship and if it continues he may struggle with crowd support and I'm not sure he's the type that will be happy to be the villain. I'm not a fan of extensive bathroom breaks but I do think Murray was over the top in his criticism, suspect he'll regret his outbursts once the adrenaline wears off.

Oioi

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue 31 Aug 2021, 1:50 am

There probably isn't a category for it but it seems to me that Andy Murray could be considered as having a disability and a sort of paralympian - he is breaking barriers for those with a replacement hip. There was a chance for Andy Murray to win in three sets but five sets was always going to be a challenge against someone with the strength, fitness, stamina and gamesmanship of Tsitsipas. I don't think Murray's condition would allow him to get too far into a slam tournament but whatever he achieves he is pushing back the barriers.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 31 Aug 2021, 7:09 am

Murray had quite a lot to say about the "toilet" breaks after the match.

He pretty much said it was gamesmanship by Tsitsipas who also tried something similar in the recent match with Zverev. The German wasn't too impressed, either.

I agree with Oioi above. The Greek is getting the reputation as a poor sport. You'd think he'd be good enough to win anyway.

And what are umpires doing? If it's meant to be a five-minute break, then the late-back player should be penalised.

The good news for Murray is that he played well and also lasted well.

Scores show there were some long matches, although Kyrgios's was not among them. One of the women's matches lasted 3hrs 40mins.

People were talking about Alcaraz before the tournament and now there will be further discussion after his straight-sets demolition of Cameron Norrie.

All seven GS champs in the women's advanced. But with Cilic and Murray's defeats there is only Djoko left as a Slam winner.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 31 Aug 2021, 8:32 am

Good news for Emma Raducanu. Her expected opponent, 13th seed Jennifer Brady, has dropped out, leaving Emma the chance to beat an LL and then meet an unseeded player in the next round.

OK, there are no easy matches in Slams. But the 18-yr-old now has a great chance to reach at least the third round.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Tue 31 Aug 2021, 12:09 pm

I feel bad for Murray but most of the players take toilet breaks. Surely they are all used to it at this point, they know to expect it and you just have to get on with it. I am not saying its right but its within the rules of the game. There are very few players that dont do it. I know a lot of people complain about Novak doing it and he has but I also recall in the French open semi final this year that Nadal took a time out at an important moment and Novak just got on with it.

If the players are not breaking the rules, then its up to the other player to keep their focus and use it as an extra incentive to maybe go on and win. Its up to the tennis powers that be to change the rules if other players think its such an issue, I just think Murray surely has enough experience at this point to not let this stuff bother him so much. Its within the rules whether people like it or not.

Great to see Murray back playing such good tennis again, shows how good a player he is.........not that any real tennis fan ever thought otherwise.

On a separate note, delighted to see Bautista Agut destroy Kyrgios in straight sets. No doubt Kyrgios will blame the court and go off on another rant of some kind. always somebody else to blame other than himself

slashermcguirk

theslosty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Tue 31 Aug 2021, 12:10 pm

This seems like a wild overreaction from Murray, I can hardly think it was genuine gamesmanship from Tsitsipas as he had just won the 4th set. I'm not saying the issue doesn't need to be looked at from a rules perspective but if I was in Murray's camp I'd be annoyed with how badly a mere 8 minute break affected him.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 31 Aug 2021, 12:12 pm

Cheating is still cheating.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Tue 31 Aug 2021, 2:02 pm

How is it cheating if it’s within the rules?

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Oioi Tue 31 Aug 2021, 5:55 pm

It's not cheating, but I think it's clear that Tsitsipas will use all dirty tricks at his disposal in order to win. He did several dodgy things that aren't too bad in isolation but, in combination, paint the picture of him being a bad sport: he took two bathroom breaks, which are fine when limited to the ~3 minutes most take, but his second one was nearly 8 minutes, he called for a trainer and was limping for like 2 games before he forgot he was supposed to be pretending to be injured, and finally, he stalled by changing his racquet when he was down 0-30 in a game without having broken a string. I've also seen clips of him tapping the court with his racquet as the opponent is lining up for a shot.

It's true that Murray shouldn't have let it get to him, but I've read his press conference and he said it's actually more of a physical issue for him, with the body and adrenaline cooling off in the breaks. Him flying off the handle therefore may have helped him keep the adrenaline up.

Oioi

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 Aug 2021, 7:24 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:How is it cheating if it’s within the rules?

Well it isn't quite within the rules is it? Five minute break is within the rules and anything over it and you are into a territory where points can and should be docked as it is infringing the rules.

Anyway what is done is done. The match ended in defeat for Murray but it showed he has more to give to the sport. He pushed the No 3 seed to the brink in a match lasting almost five hours all with a metal hip. My worry now turns to motivation. His best performances since beginning his comeback three or four months ago have come, by some way, at slam events. He showed glimpses of really good displays when is back was against the wall at Wimbledon and again yesterday. However, at the lesser events there was less of a spark. Something tells me that is a motivation issue. I know after yesterday's defeat Andy was bitterly disappointed but as that dissipates hopefully he'll be able to take much heart and confidence for the coming months and if so it will help him on his road to getting back to being competitive in tournaments.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Tue 31 Aug 2021, 8:51 pm

I agree CC, 8 minutes is definitely excessive, that is definitely not right but I was talking more about taking the time outs for bathroom breaks and injury timeouts. I am definitely not saying it’s right but I think the likes of Murray are around long enough to have the experience to put it behind them and battle through.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 31 Aug 2021, 9:25 pm

Emma Raducanu was an early break down in both sets against Voegle but won 2 and 3, although she needed SEVEN match points in a crazy final game.

Khachanov and Goffin both beaten today. Zverev didn't allow Querrey a set. Korda, who's been doing well, had to retire in his match.

Nishi is still going strong, even managing to win in four rather than his customary five-set thriller.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 01 Sep 2021, 1:29 am

Sounds like Murray´s being over the top.

There´s always a chance a player has stomach cramps and needs more than just to pee. It´s not very likely, but it´s possible. And then it would be totally unfair to have say a 3-minute or maybe even strict 5-minute restriction.

Should they just make the rule x minutes per break for a total of y minute break per match.

And perhaps a different number of minutes prior to 5th set.

And then 1 point deducted for each full minute gone over the limit?

Might even need a clock on it on the court though! Otherwise you would get arguments about how much time passed.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 01 Sep 2021, 8:14 am

Some bad results for the Italians yesterday, with 18-yr-old Zachary Svajda beating Cecchinato, 20th seed Sonego toppled by qualifier Oscar Otte and Fognini losing to Pospisil after being two sets up.

But keeping the Italian flag flying were Berrettini, Sinner and veteran Seppi who beat Fucsovics after a 15-13 final-set tiebreak.

Bit surprised to see Djoko drop a set but it took so much out of his opponent that he struggled to finish, going down in four.

2019 champ Andreescu had a fight against Golubic before coming thru in 2hrs 45mins. One former GS champ who fell was Stosur but still plenty of Slam queens still around.

One of them, Sloane Stephens today takes on Corrie Gauff in what could be a terrific match. Dan Evans plays Giron of the USA.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 01 Sep 2021, 9:21 am

Djokovic can't afford to drop too many sets because he doesn't have the tournament fitness of his younger days.  I would be interested in Djokovic's demeanor and discipline or lack of it (e.g shouting at himself, at the crowd, smashing his racket, hitting balls into the crowd in anger etc).

No name Bertie wrote:.... Holger Rune aged 18 also qualified. He is Danish.

sirfredperry wrote:.... Bit surprised to see Djoko drop a set but it took so much out of his opponent that he struggled to finish, going down in four....

Djokovic vs Holger Rune: 6-1 6-7 6-2 6-1

Djokovic's tie break record for this year is now won 10 and lost 10. Is this a sign of a player in decline?
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 01 Sep 2021, 11:24 am

I'm quite surprised at that rather underwhelming Djoko tiebreak record.

I feel sure that his breaker record in previous years was a lot better. I wouldn't read too much into Djoko's dropping-sets stats. He does lose the odd set at times in Slams. It has tended to be Rog and Rafa that have won Slams with many straight-sets victories.

What Djoko does do is get himself into position to play really well in the semis and finals.

Exceptions have been the Wimbledon finals of 2013 when he lost to Andy and didn't play that well (it was very hot and he'd had an energy-sapping semi with Delpo) and this year's Wimbledon when he was quite poor but still good enough to beat Berrettini.

Stan did beat Novak in the RG final but played quite brilliantly to do it. I think this was the only GS final that Djoko has lost after winning the first set.

Djoko's main rivals in New York - Medvedev, Zverev and the urologically-challenged Tsitsipas - are all safely through and gunning for him.

You rather hope that this trio at least progress to the latter stages so it's not too much of a cakewalk for Novak.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 01 Sep 2021, 12:02 pm

It’s true that Djokovic regularly has ‘dodgy’ TB sets - especially in the middle stages of Slam matches. But it’s worth remembering also that these can come about as much because of fine play by unheralded opponents as any shortcomings on Djoko’s part. Credit where credit due.

In the case of yesterday, he was up against a talented guy with an impressive junior career CV. And if Rune had not been hit with cramp at the start of the 3rd, he may well have caused Djoko even more problems. But from that stage on, the unfortunate injury effectively ended any competitive element to the match.

I thought Andy M’s presser answers / reflections were very measured, and offered an honest insight as to just why he reacted the way he did. For me, he was fully justified in implying that Tsitsipas really does make a habit of pushing things to an unacceptable level, such that the spirit of the law is being (knowingly) flouted, even if not the letter. It’s certainly not a good reputation for Tsitsipas to acquire ; though, equally, the time is long overdue for the rules to be clarified. Whatever happened to the ‘continuous play’ mantra as a key characteristic of tennis ….. Erm ?
The full press conference (not that long) is well worth a watch, for a sense of his true perspective. Also ….. what a truly fabulous performance he put in, against one of the tournament favourites, after so little match time during 2021. Only a couple of years or so back, several of the top guys appeared in a ‘tribute’ compilation video on the ATP website, wishing him well in retirement !

Last edited by lags72 on Wed 01 Sep 2021, 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 01 Sep 2021, 12:10 pm

Murray must have a particularly low opinion of Tsitsipas and makes me think there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff going, he has defended Kyrgios on numerous occasions in the past after all.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 01 Sep 2021, 12:16 pm

@ Soul Requiem - it was noticeable during the presser just how anxious Murray was to lavish praise on Tsitsipas in terms of his talent, ability and achievements to date. Which makes me feel his beef with him really is about the shenanigans and time wasting rather than anything fundamentally ‘personal’.

Then again ……. Who knows for sure either way …… ??

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 01 Sep 2021, 6:04 pm

Before the USO goes completely down the, er, toilet, we can concentrate on today's matches which kicked off late due to rain. The forecast for later is foul so I'm not sure how much play there will be today.

Osaka won't have to worry about the rain as she has been w/o'd into the third round. Muguruza will join her, having won in straight sets.

Another GS champ, Halep is a set up and a break up while Evans, one of those who started a little late due to the rain, is a set up but a break down.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 01 Sep 2021, 6:43 pm

Evans recovered the break before the rain came again. For those with roofs over them, Halep got thru in straight sets.

Ironic that we're unlikely to get a new women's GS champ in NY as so many have already won one, while we're unlikely to get a new Slam titleist among the men cos Djoko's still around.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 01 Sep 2021, 8:20 pm

Evans took a two sets to love lead but Giron won the third set. It's 3-4 to Evans on serve in the fourth.

Dimi is out. He was down two sets and down 0-4 in the third before having to retire.

Rublev is thru and yet another teenager doing well is 18-yr-old Canadian Leylah Fernandez who beat experienced Kanepi in straight sets.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 01 Sep 2021, 9:22 pm

Evans wins in four. Good result for Dan who is thru to the third round having had a poor run in recent weeks.

He was seeded to meet Dimi but will now take on Popyrin in what is a winnable match.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 02 Sep 2021, 9:19 am

TOILING TSITSIPAS TAKES TOILET TIME AGAIN.

Apparently there were boos from the crowd when the Greek took another long toilet break after losing the third set of his match last night.

He then came out and won the fourth set and the match 6-0. He appears to be taking the, er, mickey.

Elsewhere, Cristian Garin of Chile came a cropper but the seeded players were largely untroubled on a rain-hit day yesterday.

Gauff, though, was comfortably beaten by Sloane Stephens who could be very dangerous now.

Today, Emma Raducanu is first on against Zhang of China who has been as highly-ranked as 23. Barty takes on another 18-year-old Clara Tauson of Denmark who beat Emma in a recent Chicago final.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 02 Sep 2021, 11:51 am

Re ToiletGate : didn’t see the match, but just hearing a report of the events on radio. Apparently this was another eight-minute job (perhaps even longer ?) and Tsitsipas himself later commented that the ‘refresh’ was crucial to his victory. Gotta give credit for his (shameless !) honesty, I guess.

But the fact remains, something really must be done about this. He is also an advocate of introducing on-court coaching, so I don’t think Tsitsi is looking to achieve future legend-of-the-sport status Very Happy

These kind of shenanigans elevate my personal tennis icon, Mr. B. Borg, to even greater heights than the level of esteem in which I always held him. Ah …… nostalgia isn’t what it used to be. “Continuous play …… those were the days !

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 02 Sep 2021, 5:16 pm

So not so much a toilet break for Tsitsipas but just a "normal" break so he can recharge his batteries. This is NOT what the break is about and it just shows how brainless the Greek appears to be.

Not only does he seem unaware of how his actions will look (should be a politician) but he talks about how the break freshened him up.

But I'm with him about on-court coaching. Don't see why it should be banned and at least it would stop any current illegal coaching.

I wonder whether Tsitsipas's opponents will start taking long toilet breaks of their own and see if he likes it. Take one when he's not taking one. Then if he takes one get up and take an even longer one yourself. That'll teach him...

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next