The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021 Reflections and Year-End Bests

3 posters

Go down

2021 Reflections and Year-End Bests Empty 2021 Reflections and Year-End Bests

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 19 Dec 2021, 10:48 am

The usual kind of categories, be interesting to see what you guys think.

Fighter of the Year: I guess I'd have to go with Canelo on paper here. In a year where many other pound for pounders have only fought once he's done so three times. Started the year with two belts at 168, added the outstanding ones by stopping a pair of previously unbeaten titlists.

Fight of the Year: I thought the war between Efetobor Apochi and Bradon Glanton was absolutely superb. Well worth a look for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Performance of the Year: He's not exactly Flavour of the Month now, but Oscar Valdez was fantastic in taking apart Berchelt.

Knockout of the Year: Valdez against Berchelt deserves serious consideration here, too. Brutal finishing shot.

Trainer of the Year: This one is wide open, but seeing as I've offered two of his charges in three of the categories above, I guess Eddy Reynoso has to be in with a shout.

Robbery of the Year: Castano against Jermell was a bad one and robbed us of a bona fide, 100% undisputed champion at 154. (Dis)honourable mention to Campbell Hatton's joke verdict over Sonni Martinez, though.

Flop / Disappointment of the Year: A few potential ones here and it depends on your criteria, but Mikey Garcia's supposed re-entry into the big time turned out to be pretty embarrassing, didn't it?

Upset of the Year: A few ones to pick from here - maybe Kambosos against Lopez the other week?

Youngster / Prospect of the Year: I mentioned him the other week when discussing potential Crawford opponents, but I really like the look of Vergil Ortiz Jr.

Feel free to offer up your own suggestions, or your reflections of what you've particularly enjoyed / disliked in 2021.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

2021 Reflections and Year-End Bests Empty Re: 2021 Reflections and Year-End Bests

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 19 Dec 2021, 12:16 pm

Think when a career Cruiserweight upsets a respected if tad overrated Heavy naturally three stone heavier and away from home..

It has to be performance of the year...Usyk couldn't make a big mistake and didn't.

Best knockout Callum Smith v Castillo...If only he had more belief against Canelo...What a statement at 175.

Going to give Hatton the flop of the year...Straight to PPV..Huge fanfare and shutout by a carcass for rent.

Canelo beating just Saunders was worthy of fighter of the year but chuck in Plant and unification...He is the man.

TRUSSMAN66

rapidringsroad likes this post

Back to top Go down

2021 Reflections and Year-End Bests Empty Re: 2021 Reflections and Year-End Bests

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 19 Dec 2021, 3:46 pm

Fighter of the Year: Got to agree with Chris hrere - Canelo for me. I don't like him, but he took apart both Saunders and Plant, doing exactly what he said he would do, then throws a curveball by stating he's going after a Cruiser Belt. Impressive.

Fight of the Year: For me it has to be the Lopez-Kambosos fight. Kambosos was not thought highly of by the Lopez camp and it was the worst thing they could have done. A knockdown in the first round suddenly put Lopez' plan out of the window and he suddenly realised he was in a live fight. Kambosos continued to pressure Lopez throughout and but for the late knockdown by Lopez it would have been far from close. Great fight, and fantastic performance by the underdog.

Performance of the Year: Usyk against Joshua. Hoodwinked everyone into believing he wasn't going to good enough by giving solid but lacklustre performances against Witherspoon and Chisora, then produces a boxing masterclass to make Joshua look clueless. A deserved winner, and he'd be favourite to win the rematch for me.

Knockout of the Year: Slightly controversial maybe as it wasn't a high level fight, but Conor Benn's straight right to the face of Algieri was an absolute belter of a shot. Honourable mention goes to Efe Ajagbe's brutal 1 punch KO of Brian Howard back in April.

Trainer of the Year: I agree with Chris here again - Reynoso has been pretty much top dog for me.

Robbery of the Year: Promoters continuing to line their pockets after fleecing everyone for PPV on non-PPV=worthy fights.

Flop / Disappointment of the Year: Anthony Joshua hands down for me. He was gun-shy, bamboozled and utterly clueless against Usyk. He had the potential to do so much better and half the time appeared to be looking for a way out.

Upset of the Year: George Kambosos. Nobody gave him a prayer against Lopez, not least Lopez himself. Self-belief and a pretty handy gameplan saw him take away Lopez' belts, his "0" and his tag of invincibility. Lopez' excuses after the fight were embarrassing.

Youngster / Prospect of the Year: Jaron Boots Ennis - cracking fighter with heavy hands. Let's see what he can do with some good opposition.

Mr Bounce

Derek Smalls likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 Dec 2021, 1:39 pm

Thanks guys.

Yeah I considered putting Usyk forward for Performance of the Year. I think there's definitely a strong claim to be made that it's the biggest / most significant win or result anyone has had in 2021, and of course he did it against a higher class of fighter than Valdez did against Berchelt. But as a pure all-round performance, Valdez's had a bit of everything and he was pulling off moves and looks which you just don't see that much anymore. Beautiful and yet absolutely devastating at the same time. Granted he's an inconsistent performer and a lot of fans won't forgive his indiscretion which has come to light since. But it's been a while since I saw a performance which I enjoyed as much as that one. Very much reminded me of Mayweather-Corrales.

@Mr Bounce, I'd love to see Ortiz Jr. against Ennis in 2022. Probably no chance at all of it happening, of course - but how great it would be to have two emerging stars going head-to-head to get a shot at one of the Welter champions. Can see fans and pundits being split more or less 50:50 on that one. So far I've been more impressed with Ortiz, but I'm a very interested observer of Ennis and if Crawford and Spence can't find a way to make that fight, it'll be good for the division to have another couple of stars to put the pressure on them.

Be interesting to see how David Morrell goes about his business in 2022, as well. The drive to get him to his phoney, interim, regular WBA 'world title' in so few fights means he risks being moved along too quickly in the eyes of some. Could be another David Reid case, but who knows, maybe he'll be another Rigondeaux and will be ready for the divisional leaders before we know it? Either way he and his handlers are talking a good game and reckon he'll be going after the big boys at 168 in no time at all. I guess much will depend on whether Canelo vacates any of his titles or not.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down