The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger

+4
Hazel Sapling
No 7&1/2
Old Man
Sgt_Pooly
8 posters

Go down

Who are your 2 best wingers

The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Vote_lcap25%The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 6 ]
The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Vote_lcap13%The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 3 ]
The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Vote_lcap17%The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 4 ]
The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Vote_lcap33%The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 8 ]
The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Vote_lcap12%The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 24

Poll closed

The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Empty The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 23 Dec 2021, 6:37 am

1. Loose-Head Prop https://www.606v2.com/t70475-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-1-loose-head-prop
2. Hooker https://www.606v2.com/t70476-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-2-hooker
3. Tight-Head https://www.606v2.com/t70477-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-3-tight-head-prop
4/5. Locks https://www.606v2.com/t70478-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-4-5-locks
6. Blindside https://www.606v2.com/t70481-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-6-blindside-flanker
7. Openside https://www.606v2.com/t70484-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-7-openside-flanker
8. Number 8 https://www.606v2.com/t70485-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-8-number-8

9. Scrum Half https://www.606v2.com/t70488-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-9-scrum-half
10. Fly Half https://www.606v2.com/t70490-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-10-fly-half

I seem to recall a good poster called Pete defining his best players in the world in each position at the end of every year and I thought I'd try and bring it back somewhat.

So, a little caveat....I've not watched as much rugby as I would have liked this year so I may be a bit off in some of my suggestions....I'm sure we can have a nice sensible discussion though, as we always do! I also may have a slight English bias, go easy on me Welshies.

The criteria:

I'm selecting world class players......when I say world class, you have to be in the top 3 in your position. I'll possibly look to do 5 for locks/wingers due to different styles and sides.

#11 Wingers

After the drama of the fly half position, it's time to relax somewhat and delve into the world of wingers. At the lower levels, you usually stick the useless guy on the wing as he would get very little chance to impact the game and hardly, if at all....touch the ball (never played there....honest). Back at the top level, you need to have a bit of everything. Not only do you need the speed of a cheetah, you need to be physically on point...you can't be getting run over by a fatty from the forwards. In the modern game, you now also require the FB skills......catching and kicking! The world has gone mad. Next they'll be asking wingers to pack down on the flank......

Cheslin Kolbe

What better place to start than the pocket rocket from Western Provence. We seem to go through a cycle in wingers when they get really big....then suddenly they get small and tricky, Kolbe seems to have brought the wee guys back into fashion. Kolbe could step you in a phone box, he just never stops jinking and moving, he must be a nightmare to play against. He's certainly not a big guy, but he fronts up and certainly defies his vertical limits in the air. It's hard to imagine he's only got around 20 caps....I think he'll be around for quite a while longer.

Josh Adams

What a few years Mr Adams has had. From relative obscurity, he's become one of the premier wingers in world rugby. You watch Adams and he's doesn't really blow you away in any particular aspect, he's just good at everything and he has the scorers instinct of knowing where to be when it matters. That he didn't get to start that first test still baffles me.

Marika Koroibete

This guy just keeps getting better and better. When he swapped over league in 2016, Koroibete was an absolute menace with ball in hand.....jump ahead 5 years and he's developed his skills into one of the most devastating wingers in world rugby. His pace, acceleration and physicality is right up there and I honestly think he's a little underrated in the wider discussions. Hopefully his upcoming move to Japan will not stop him gracing the international stage as he'll be sorely missed.

Damian Penaud

Initially a 13, I was a bit confused when Penaud got pushed out to the wing and I thought he would disappear from international rugby quite sharpish....not for the first time, I was wrong. I can's see Penaud being a popular pick, but I think he's fantastic and probably my favourite winger in rugby right now (after Lord Radwan of course). He just does the right things at the right time.....yes he can step, oh he can step....he has gas and he always gets past 1,2 or 3 defenders. What Penaud does that not many other wingers do is though, he puts others into the game. He's so spatially aware...the move rarely stops..... He has beautiful hands for a winger and he must be a joy to play alongside.

Rieko Ioane

In the dog eat dog world of NZ wingers......1 man still stands, his name is Rieko Ioane. At the advanced age of 24 (how is this guy 24???), Ioane has almost 50 caps and about 400 tries....maybe more like 30 but I lost count. I'll be honest, I can't keep up with NZ wingers as I rarely watch Super rugby anymore. I thought Caleb Clarke was the new star on the block, but apparently it's now Will Jordan....who'd have thought? Ioane is the one that sticks around though and he's just soooooo good. He may not be banging the tries in like he initially did, but he's a constant threat and makes room for others to exploit (you're welcome Mr Jordan). A Rolls-Royce of a winger.

Notable mention........Teddy Thomas, Clive Clarke, Duhan van der Merhe, Anthony Watson, Will Jordan, Josua Tuisova, Makazole Mapimpi.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Empty Re: The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger

Post by Old Man Thu 23 Dec 2021, 7:22 am

Kolbe.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  Empty Re: The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 23 Dec 2021, 8:05 am

You can pick 2 Oldman!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Thu 23 Dec 2021, 8:13 am

True, hahaha.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Thu 23 Dec 2021, 8:14 am

Ioane. The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #11 Winger  1f44c

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 23 Dec 2021, 8:23 am

Difficult out of that list. They've missed a good chunk haven't they. Probably go Penaud. Great going forward.

Koroibete for the second. When aus have clicked he seems to be in the centre of things.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 23 Dec 2021, 11:03 am

I feel that Jonny May takes a beating for what he can't do. Still an excellent operator who I would include in the also rans over Mapimpi.

It really depends on the game and what you want from a wing. Penaud and Ioane both play a lot of 13 and probably have the all around skillsets to play in any conditions. Kolbe is the best winger in the dry, hands down, and the most likely to create something out of nothing. So if wet, probably the first two and if dry the last Ioane and Kolbe.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 23 Dec 2021, 10:43 pm

Love the way Penaud plays and he has much potential. So he's my number one. The other I am not so sure about.

Kolbe is great when he can use his super-sidestep and befuddle opponents, but he's not so good when things aren't going his way. Plus he's not the most physical.

So that's why I went for Koroibete simply because of his outrageous pace and the fact he's never found wanting if he needs to get stuck in.

Feel there should have been more wingers on the list to pick from.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Fri 24 Dec 2021, 8:51 am

Penaud and Ioane are my choice on the list.
IMO the best winger at the moment is Will Jordan.

Maine man

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 24 Dec 2021, 11:16 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:I feel that Jonny May takes a beating for what he can't do. Still an excellent operator who I would include in the also rans over Mapimpi.

It really depends on the game and what you want from a wing. Penaud and Ioane both play a lot of 13 and probably have the all around skillsets to play in any conditions. Kolbe is the best winger in the dry, hands down, and the most likely to create something out of nothing. So if wet, probably the first two and if dry the last Ioane and Kolbe.

The questioning of May always seems odd to me. The only thing he doesn't do is run over people. Apart from that classy player. Probably the best winger in the world for a number of seasons but last year and this started of the ball and uncharacteristic errors mean for me his form dictates he's not even in the running.

Anywho Merry Christmas to all celebrating and have a nice break for everyone else.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharkey06 Fri 24 Dec 2021, 11:07 pm

Slightly surprised that Duhan van der Merwe doesn't appear on the list - selected ahead of Josh Adamas for the Lions by Gatland who is known to favour a Welsh player given half a chance. Has shown with his performances in the Premiership that he can perform consistently in a tough league against good players.

I love Penaud, but feel he is more of a centre playing out on the wing rather than an out and out winger.

Out of the list I would go with Ioane and Kolbe.

Sharkey06

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 25 Dec 2021, 6:11 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:I feel that Jonny May takes a beating for what he can't do. Still an excellent operator who I would include in the also rans over Mapimpi.

The questioning of May always seems odd to me. The only thing he doesn't do is run over people. Apart from that classy player. Probably the best winger in the world for a number of seasons but last year and this started of the ball and uncharacteristic errors mean for me his form dictates he's not even in the running.

Anywho Merry Christmas to all celebrating and have a nice break for everyone else.

I think that when his career is done and dusted and we look back on it May will go down as one of England's best ever wingers with more than his fair share of greatest tries.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down