The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Calcutta Cup Saturday 5 Feb 2022

+58
BigTrevsbigmac
alive555
R!skysports
milkyboy
Northgrill
yappysnap
protea438
Yoda
Mad for Chelsea
Heaf
miltonkeynesengland
RiscaGame
Dirtydave
Barney McGrew did it
Welshmushroom
NeilyBroon
Armchairexpert
mikey_dragon
Sgt_Pooly
jimbopip
EST
TheMildlyFranticLlama
demosthenes
Duty281
tigertattie
Heuer27
Cumbrian
takethelongroad
hugehandoff
Mr Bounce
Recwatcher16
formerly known as Sam
majesticimperialman
funnyExiledScot
geoff999rugby
Soul Requiem
mountain man
MichaelT
BamBam
nathan
Mcsweens
RDW
Rugby Fan
WELL-PAST-IT
Sharkey06
Gooseberry
BigGee
doctor_grey
Geordie
Poorfour
sensisball
lostinwales
George Carlin
Hazel Sapling
No 7&1/2
king_carlos
bsando
62 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Calcutta Cup Saturday 5 Feb 2022 - Page 6 Empty The Calcutta Cup Saturday 5 Feb 2022

Post by bsando Wed 19 Jan - 19:10

First topic message reminder :

Scotland vs England

BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh
Saturday 5th of February 2022
Kick Off 4:45pm

What the Coaches are saying

Gregor Townsend - "The players have been in outstanding form for their respective clubs.. and that is outstanding!" *tongue click*

Eddie Jones - "There are some young players getting an opportunity. They just need to make sure they don't get distracted or else they might not do so well."

Scotland Team

1. Sutherland 2. Turner 3. Z Fagerson
4. J Gray 5. Gilchrist
6. Ritchie 7. Watson 8. M Fagerson.
9. Price 10. Russell
12. Johnson 13. Harris
11. Van der Merwe 14. Graham
15. Hogg

Replacements: McInally, Schoeman, Nel, Skinner, M Bradbury, White, Kinghorn, Tuipulotu.

England Team

1. Genge 2. Cowan-Dickie 3. Sinckler
4. Itoje 5. Isiekwe
6. Ludlam 7. Curry (c) 8. Simmonds.
9. Youngs 10. Smith
12. Slade 13. Daly
11. Marchant 14. Malins
15. Steward

Replacements: George, Marler, Stuart, Ewels, Dombrandt, Randall, Ford, Nowell.

Last edited by bsando on Thu 3 Feb - 15:12; edited 5 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

The Calcutta Cup Saturday 5 Feb 2022 - Page 6 Empty Re: The Calcutta Cup Saturday 5 Feb 2022

Post by tigertattie Fri 4 Feb - 14:52

You don’t need maths or spreadsheets or slide rules or any form of measuring apparatus to know that Duhan’s gonna get ye
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

The Calcutta Cup Saturday 5 Feb 2022 - Page 6 Empty Re: The Calcutta Cup Saturday 5 Feb 2022

Post by lostinwales Fri 4 Feb - 15:00

Gooseberry wrote:I think one thing we can take to that is that weight alone doesnt directly equate to how physical and powerful into contact a player is. Build and actual straight up levels of aggression just as important. Conversely weight alone doesnt equate to how athletic and mobile a player is.

Think we can all agree though that the Scotlandish backs outpower the English ones as a unit.

Yes but I don't think the difference is as significant as the speed advantage the English backs have. Of course you have to namecheck VDM who is always going to be hard to deal with but I think England will cause the Scottish defense plenty of problems

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 4 Feb - 15:02

Smith rucks over forwards so it's all good.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Fri 4 Feb - 15:16

My annual resistance has crumbled and I'm back for the Six Nations.

It seems there's two relatively skilful, agile teams. Really makes one pine for the days of Perry Freshwater and Allan Jacobsen going at it between the two 10 metre lines for 80 minutes. There's shades of 2012 with this one. An experienced and settled Scotland side, going up against a relatively inexperienced new look England side. We all know what happened there. Scotland don't do well as the overdog. It doesn't suit our psyche. If you happen to be a history nerd (congratulations), and you've read Good King Robert's testament then you will catch my drift. If you've had sex before and not read any medieval Scottish war strategies then you might want to get a life.

In essence, it's a 14 line poem supposedly summing up Robert the Bruce's battle tactics. It also provides a blueprint for all great Scottish rugby wins over England. An admission that they will be outpowered, they won't have the cavalry. But by subtlety and surprise they can perform a sort of guerrilla warfare. Being the favourites rather dispels that possibility. Scotland's victories, until last year at least, seem largely to have been the result of being irritating in the breakdown, niggly at set piece and a couple of moments of magic.

The difference is, this time, we have a handful of players who are used to being the favourites on the big occasions. Russell, Hogg and Gray for example are used to it al club level. Most of them, have had experience of being favourites against Tier One opposition for Scotland. Maitland is another but he has been bizarrely overlooked. The other issue we've faced in the past is that our players have been experienced in numbers of caps but not occasions. It's all very well having 50 caps but if 30 of them are Six Nations drubbings and a further 15 are gimmes against Tier 2 nations with a smattering of victories against Italy then that experience is not all that much to talk about. No offence Graeme Morrison, Sean Lamont and Nick De Luca.

This bunch have played big club games, some big internationals and a fair few are Test Lions. It's a decidedly unScottish Scotland team (not just Duhan Van Der Merwe) that will perhaps not be best suited to the Scottish weather. So I'm predicting a very Scottish performance to bring us all back down to earth and throw egg in my earlier self who bet a foolish amount of money on a Scotland win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 4 Feb - 15:54

I'll just leave this here in case the Scotland defence coaches need it:

The Calcutta Cup Saturday 5 Feb 2022 - Page 6 Marcus10
Poorfour
Poorfour

Mr Bounce, Sgt_Pooly, doctor_grey, lostinwales, formerly known as Sam, No 7&1/2 and Gooseberry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 4 Feb - 20:02

Superb The Calcutta Cup Saturday 5 Feb 2022 - Page 6 1f606

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 4 Feb - 20:13

123456789. wrote:My annual resistance has crumbled and I'm back for the Six Nations.

It seems there's two relatively skilful, agile teams. Really makes one pine for the days of Perry Freshwater and Allan Jacobsen going at it between the two 10 metre lines for 80 minutes. There's shades of 2012 with this one. An experienced and settled Scotland side, going up against a relatively inexperienced new look England side. We all know what happened there. Scotland don't do well as the overdog. It doesn't suit our psyche. If you happen to be a history nerd (congratulations), and you've read Good King Robert's testament then you will catch my drift. If you've had sex before and not read any medieval Scottish war strategies then you might want to get a life.

In essence, it's a 14 line poem supposedly summing up Robert the Bruce's battle tactics. It also provides a blueprint for all great Scottish rugby wins over England. An admission that they will be outpowered, they won't have the cavalry. But by subtlety and surprise they can perform a sort of guerrilla warfare. Being the favourites rather dispels that possibility. Scotland's victories, until last year at least, seem largely to have been the result of being irritating in the breakdown, niggly at set piece and a couple of moments of magic.

The difference is, this time, we have a handful of players who are used to being the favourites on the big occasions. Russell, Hogg and Gray for example are used to it al club level. Most of them, have had experience of being favourites against Tier One opposition for Scotland. Maitland is another but he has been bizarrely overlooked. The other issue we've faced in the past is that our players have been experienced in numbers of caps but not occasions. It's all very well having 50 caps but if 30 of them are Six Nations drubbings and a further 15 are gimmes against Tier 2 nations with a smattering of victories against Italy then that experience is not all that much to talk about. No offence Graeme Morrison, Sean Lamont and Nick De Luca.

This bunch have played big club games, some big internationals and a fair few are Test Lions. It's a decidedly unScottish Scotland team (not just Duhan Van Der Merwe) that will perhaps not be best suited to the Scottish weather. So I'm predicting a very Scottish performance to bring us all back down to earth and throw egg in my earlier self who bet a foolish amount of money on a Scotland win.

Excellent post numbers - welcome back!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 4 Feb - 20:28

Poorfour wrote:I'll just leave this here in case the Scotland defence coaches need it:

The Calcutta Cup Saturday 5 Feb 2022 - Page 6 Marcus10

Love this! Have we scored.....fix hair lol

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 4 Feb - 20:58

Anyone seen thew ridiculous try from Arundel in the U20s match? If senior Scotland give Steward that much space it wont matter if he runs like a turnip.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 5 Feb - 9:26

RDW wrote:
123456789. wrote:My annual resistance has crumbled and I'm back for the Six Nations.

Excellent post numbers - welcome back!
 Numbers!!!! Hug Ale
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Mr Bounce, BigTrevsbigmac and bsando like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 5 Feb - 11:16

Pray for the fans at Murrayfield today

Summer rugby anyone?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 5 Feb - 11:23

tigertattie wrote:Pray for the fans at Murrayfield today

Summer rugby anyone?

'Heavy rain and a fresh breeze 5C'

Fun.

But imagine how depressing this time of year could be without the rugby

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 5 Feb - 11:43

Well, I've wakened with that sense of dread that presages a resounding England victory. furious

Oh well, we're doomed. Doomed I say.

No point in even watching.

Mind, I've put beers in the fridge Headscratch Best not to waste them.

Maybe it won't be too humiliating. Fingers Crossed

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 5 Feb - 11:49

Could be the best Six Nations ever. Four teams are realistic contenders, Wales have the capacity to surprise, and Italy will offer a nice week off to every opponent they play.

Narrowly favouring Scotland today. England have picked a creative team for attritional conditions

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 5 Feb - 11:53

tigertattie wrote:You don’t need maths or spreadsheets or slide rules or any form of measuring apparatus to know that Duhan’s gonna get ye
When Duhan does press ups, he doesn't push himself up.

He pushes the world down.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 5 Feb - 12:35

George Carlin wrote:
tigertattie wrote:You don’t need maths or spreadsheets or slide rules or any form of measuring apparatus to know that Duhan’s gonna get ye
When Duhan does press ups, he doesn't push himself up.

He pushes the world down.

Covid has to get inoculated against Duhan
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 5 Feb - 12:43

lostinwales wrote:

But imagine how depressing this time of year Scotland could be without the rugby

Whistle

Gooseberry

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 5 Feb - 12:44

Duty281 wrote:Could be the best Six Nations ever. Four teams are realistic contenders, Wales have the capacity to surprise, and Italy will offer a nice week off to every opponent they play.

Narrowly favouring Scotland today. England have picked a creative team for attritional conditions  

Is this ever not the case?

Aside from that finally England fans are recognising that they just come unstuck against Scotland regardless of the odds

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 5 Feb - 14:01

It

Is

Absolutely

Rotten

Out

Here
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 5 Feb - 14:58

For our English brethren; tigertattie posts that comment on a fairly regular basis when watching Edinburgh. Come Sun or Come Rain. It's absolutely rotten watching the Luvvies.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 5 Feb - 15:21

jimbopip wrote:For our English brethren; tigertattie posts that comment on a fairly regular basis when watching Edinburgh.  Come Sun or Come Rain. It's absolutely rotten watching the Luvvies.

I’ll give you that one jimbo. Well played
tigertattie
tigertattie

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 5 Feb - 15:50

Gooseberry wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Could be the best Six Nations ever. Four teams are realistic contenders, Wales have the capacity to surprise, and Italy will offer a nice week off to every opponent they play.

Is this ever not the case?

Aside from that finally England fans are recognising that they just come unstuck against Scotland regardless of the odds

Whilst it agree Scotland are favourites it's worth noting England have picked a backline full of players who can kick and a very mobile backrow that could easily be built for kick chasing. It's not necessarily a creative over attritional selection.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 5 Feb - 15:56

Wales are making an early bid for the Nadine Dorries Most Embarrassing Performance Of The Week award.
Actually, even as I type there is a voice in my head asking if she possesses the self awareness to be embarrassed by her incoherent ramblings.

jimbopip

BamBam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydave Sat 5 Feb - 16:38

jimbopip wrote:Wales are making an early bid for the Nadine Dorries Most Embarrassing Performance Of The Week award.
Actually, even as I type there is a voice in my head asking if she possesses the self awareness to be embarrassed by her incoherent ramblings.

This ironically is a Nadine Doris type comment...

If you remove 12-14 first team players from any 6N team would you expect them to be competitive?

Dirtydave

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydave Sat 5 Feb - 16:40

It doesnt look pretty out there, which I think favours England but I still think Scotland should have enough to win this...

Dirtydave

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 5 Feb - 16:43

Weather seems a touch better then.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 5 Feb - 16:46

I thought Dorries played for Ireland?

Anyway onto the proper rugby the big question is how Smiths hair will handle the conditions.

Gooseberry

jimbopip and miltonkeynesengland like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 5 Feb - 16:53

Scotland seem confused about the new laws.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydave Sat 5 Feb - 16:56

8 mins in and the ref has decided Scotlamd can't scrummage???

Dirtydave

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 5 Feb - 16:56

Should’ve kept that in hand.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 5 Feb - 16:58

England need to turn this territory into points. All over scotland so far but never close to being on the board. I guess great discipline form scotland not give any penalties away

Gooseberry

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 5 Feb - 17:00

Gooseberry wrote:England need to turn this territory into points. All over scotland so far but never close to being on the board. I guess great discipline form scotland not give any penalties away

Couple of close high tackles like.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydave Sat 5 Feb - 17:00

Gooseberry wrote:England need to turn this territory into points. All over scotland so far but never close to being on the board. I guess great discipline form scotland not give any penalties away

It seems one of those games so far where possession and territory don't mean control...

Scotland look sound in defence, and I think when they get chances will come away with points

Dirtydave

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 5 Feb - 17:05

Urghh. Thought that missed! 3 is the least we deserve.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by miltonkeynesengland Sat 5 Feb - 17:06

Great score

miltonkeynesengland

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 5 Feb - 17:06

Urggh again.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 5 Feb - 17:07

where was the rain and mud when england needed it?

Gooseberry

miltonkeynesengland likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydave Sat 5 Feb - 17:08

Exactly what I just said...

Scotland take the opportunity when it came!

Dirtydave

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 5 Feb - 17:08

What a sharp try. Caught England sleeping.

Seems a bit similar to Irish-Gloucester yesterday.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by miltonkeynesengland Sat 5 Feb - 17:10

Eng ruck speed is so slow.

miltonkeynesengland

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 5 Feb - 17:12

Not sure that jumping across at all.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 5 Feb - 17:12

Jumping across? The Scotland forwards drove under the lifters?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 5 Feb - 17:13

No 7&1/2 wrote:Not sure that jumping across at all.

Case of calling the outcome not the action

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 5 Feb - 17:14

Some might've been harsh but Englands penalty count once again atrocious

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 5 Feb - 17:15

Look who the ref is though ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 5 Feb - 17:16

Gooseberry wrote:Some might've been harsh but Englands penalty count once again atrocious

What is it now? Thought Scotlands would be worse.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 5 Feb - 17:20

The first offence was holding on before Zander got pinged. Ref is doing some strange reffing
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 5 Feb - 17:21

Take 3 please.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 5 Feb - 17:22

tigertattie wrote:The first offence was holding on before Zander got pinged. Ref is doing some strange reffing

This guy always does ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 5 Feb - 17:23

Interesting having Mr O commentating though

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next