The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin

+2
Pot Hale
thebandwagonsociety
6 posters

Go down

European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin Empty European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 19 May 2022, 10:39 am

I'd have thought that the finals would need a bigger stadium than Lansdowne Rd at this stage?


https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/european-cup/aviva-stadium-to-host-2023-champions-cup-and-epcr-challenge-cup-finals-1.4882838

thebandwagonsociety

Posts : 2759
Join date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin Empty Re: European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin

Post by Pot Hale Sat 21 May 2022, 10:34 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:I'd have thought that the finals would need a bigger stadium than Lansdowne Rd at this stage?


https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/european-cup/aviva-stadium-to-host-2023-champions-cup-and-epcr-challenge-cup-finals-1.4882838

thought the story was that the final was switched from Tottenham Stadium because of potential clashes due to earlier finish to next season with the Soccer World Cup. So other large soccer stadia would have equally problematic. Lansdowne Road was the next best alternative that EPCR chose I suppose. What have the previous attendances been like?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7655
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 60
Location : North East

Back to top Go down

European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin Empty Re: European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin

Post by doctor_grey Sun 22 May 2022, 12:48 am

Was there an issue or reason why the Euro final couldn't be moved to Twickenham? After all, it's maybe 10 miles away from Tottenham...

doctor_grey

Posts : 10507
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin Empty Re: European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin

Post by Pot Hale Sun 22 May 2022, 7:25 am

doctor_grey wrote:Was there an issue or reason why the Euro final couldn't be moved to Twickenham?  After all, it's maybe 10 miles away from Tottenham...    

Too big possibly. Last time, it got filled to capacity was in 2012 between Leinster and Ulster.
Recent attendances have dropped to mid 50k. Bilbao was nearly full with 52k attending. St James was also 52k. Lansdowne is 51k.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7655
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 60
Location : North East

Back to top Go down

European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin Empty Re: European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin

Post by Intotouch Fri 10 Jun 2022, 3:10 pm

It’s disappointing that ove 20 years into this competition that only 50,000 rugby fans show up for a final. I think they should go for a bigger stadium and lower the prices to get more people in. The final should be a huge event.

Intotouch

Posts : 615
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Usually Dublin

Back to top Go down

European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin Empty Re: European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 10 Jun 2022, 4:05 pm

How do they choose venues? Seems very biased towards England and France to date.

It also really should have been held in Italy by now.

Collapse2005

Posts : 6113
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin Empty Re: European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 10 Jun 2022, 4:12 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Was there an issue or reason why the Euro final couldn't be moved to Twickenham?  After all, it's maybe 10 miles away from Tottenham...    

Too big possibly.   Last time, it got filled to capacity was in 2012 between Leinster and Ulster.
Recent attendances have dropped to mid 50k.  Bilbao was nearly full with 52k attending.  St James was also 52k.  Lansdowne is 51k.  


The 2012 game v Ulster had an 80k plus attendance. Id say only an Irish derby final would eclipse that.

50k in Lansdowne is perfectly fine for a final though IMO. Great venue.

Collapse2005

Posts : 6113
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin Empty Re: European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 10 Jun 2022, 5:54 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Was there an issue or reason why the Euro final couldn't be moved to Twickenham?  After all, it's maybe 10 miles away from Tottenham...    

Too big possibly.   Last time, it got filled to capacity was in 2012 between Leinster and Ulster.
Recent attendances have dropped to mid 50k.  Bilbao was nearly full with 52k attending.  St James was also 52k.  Lansdowne is 51k.  


The 2012 game v Ulster had an 80k plus attendance. Id say only an Irish derby final would eclipse that.

50k in Lansdowne is perfectly fine for a final though IMO. Great venue.
Agreed, considering the Aviva has secured the 2024 europa league final, which is obviously a far, far bigger event, it's a more than suitable venue.

LeinsterFan4life

Posts : 5752
Join date : 2012-03-13
Age : 32
Location : Meath

Back to top Go down

European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin Empty Re: European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin

Post by Intotouch Fri 10 Jun 2022, 6:43 pm

Steven Jones and Stuart Barney’s were complaining about this on the Ruck podcast. Marseille was seemingly amazing and far superior to “boring old Dublin” for a final venue.

Given the amount of football and rugby stadia in Europe it does seem a bit short sighted not to move it to new locations each year. And it’s fun for fans to visit new locations.

Intotouch

Posts : 615
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Usually Dublin

Back to top Go down

European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin Empty Re: European Finals 2023 confirmed as Dublin

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum