The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Max Baer - The killer clown....That clowned it away..

3 posters

Go down

Max Baer - The killer clown....That clowned it away.. Empty Max Baer - The killer clown....That clowned it away..

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 May 2022 - 2:36

Always been a fan of the former Heavyweight Champion Max Baer.....Handsome...Charismatic....Talented...but lacking the seriousness that his skill warranted which is a surprise considering he was around in the poverty stricken thirties (Coolidge era encouraging of speculation dumped the US into a nightmare) .....According to the Bellboy that found him dying of a heart attack in 1959 Baer's last words were "I'd rather see a People Doctor" after the kid asked him if he should get him the "House Doctor".....

Tragedy and controversy followed Baer throughout his career......Already regarded as the Clown of the ring.....After stopping Frankie Campbell in 5 Campbell slipped into a coma....The much affected Baer rushed to the hospital and held the hand of Campbell's wife who accepted his apology acknowledging that those were the risks of the sport.  Scarcely a few months later Ernie Schaaf would be stopped by Baer and complain of head aches for months before dropping dead in the ring against Carnera.....The damage was attributed to the power punching Baer who would have nightmares about the untimely death for the rest of his life (Not in the 'cheap' film the Cinderella Man however where Baer brags about it)..Baer was cheap shotted aplenty in that piece of garbage....They even managed to make Baer v Braddock look a good fight.

The nickname "Killer clown" was born....

Eventually in the race for Carnera's title......(The limited Carnera was a prize most Heavies wanted after his Left field uppercut shocked Jack Sharkey).....Baer would have an eliminator against max Schmelling in probably the most spiteful build up to a fight before Louis v Schmelling......Nazi vs Jew was the tagline (Unfairly for the German who would hide Jews during the war) Baer's stoppage was duly regarded as a victory over Fascism....His big right hand getting the job done in the 10th in a frustratingly one paced fight....Though notable for both used using the cross armed defence used by Big George later on for much of the fight..

So to Carnera v Baer ??.........What to say.....Carnera was dropped 11 times sometimes taking Baer with him Who would joke "Last one ups a sissy" when they were on the canvas......During the interval of one round Baer went over to Carnera's corner and started messing with his icebucket after politely asking about Carnera's Cornermen's health.....Finally the fight was mercifully stopped in the 11th....The Clown was Heavyweight champion..

"Tears of a clown"...........After a year of partying and appearing in some movies....Baer was lined up to defend against James Braddock who was lightly regarded....So much so that the subsequent upset is regarded as second behind Douglas v Tyson in the biggest of alltime list..

Braddock however had Eddie Futch in his corner who devised a strategy of staying away from Baer's big right and for some unknown reason Baer spent most of his time in the early rounds pretending to fall over when Braddock hit him and laughing at the Cinderella Man's advances....Braddock was admirably disciplined though and wouldn't be drawn in to the festivities....Later in the fight it dawned on Baer that he was a mile behind and you can see a desperate Baer in the last few rounds trying to corner Braddock....Too little too late...

"I had more friends in the dressing room before the fight than I could count" said Baer afterwards..."I nearly caught a cold when I got back an hour later"..

Baer never got a rematch....Braddock lost to Louis and Louis thrashed Baer I think in his first or second defence......Baer however went on to beat some decent names.....Tommy Farr twice...Lou Nova...and had a mightily fun bloody brawl with Tony Galento but decided to quit and become a Boxing writer and celebrity and like others before him refereed some fights.....

Not sure anybody enjoyed life or his time as Champion as much as Baer.....Enjoyed the ladies....the nightlife and the company of People....

Sure he clowned it away and he might have died at the young age of 50 but he probably lived more than most people do that reach a 100...

The Killer clown certainly made the depression era of the thirties more fun...........Boxing needs its characters.... Whisky rose

TRUSSMAN66

superflyweight likes this post

Back to top Go down

Max Baer - The killer clown....That clowned it away.. Empty Re: Max Baer - The killer clown....That clowned it away..

Post by Mochyn du Tue 24 May 2022 - 8:49

I watched Youtube Highlights of the Braddock v Baer fight just the other day. I though it was a masterclass from Braddock in how to neutralise a much bigger man with a killer right hand but limited boxing skills. It was clear the levels of athleticism were not what they would become from boxers but I thought the technical aspects of Braddock's performance were excellent.

Don't know much about Baer himself but sports films often slate decent people to make the film more interesting. Like that appalling film Cool Runnings which was basically a crock of sh with no truth in it whatsoever.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Max Baer - The killer clown....That clowned it away.. Empty Re: Max Baer - The killer clown....That clowned it away..

Post by Derek Smalls Fri 27 May 2022 - 21:44

I thought that the portrayal in "Cinderella Man" was ridiculous. He was built up as the Big Bad as you would expect to see in a movie such as Creed.There was no need to add the fake jeopardy as Braddock winning the world's title would be enough of a happy ending.
I find Bear a curious one. He seemed to have serious lapses of motivation and concentration in my opinion.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down