The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mikey Garcia retires

3 posters

Go down

Mikey Garcia retires Empty Mikey Garcia retires

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jun 2022, 9:40 pm

4 division champion calls it quits finishing with a record of 40-2 (30KO). Champion at featherweight, super featherweight, unified lightweight and super lightweight.
Career never really reached the heights and missing two years when he had that contract dispute didn’t help. Ultimately going up to 147 wasn’t the right move.

Back to top Go down

Mikey Garcia retires Empty Re: Mikey Garcia retires

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 27 Jun 2022, 11:10 pm

I sense he got disillusioned with the game. Great when he was on top, but bit off more than he could chew against Spence and was well-beaten. He probably has no need to get punched in the face any more and likely has a decent amount of money to support his family.

Gets out with his faculties intact and a decent career to show for it.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 28 Jun 2022, 8:33 am

Went ghost on Rougarou, that win could have resurrected his career but I think most know how good Prograis is. The Spence fight (which maybe ruined Garcia’s career) was a bridge too far but how could he turn down that kind of money? Spence management were refusing to fight Crawford at that time(freezing Bob out) and needed a name so handed the smaller man a bag. Spence a big welterweight too, let’s not forget that also. Lopez when he moves up, that could have been a huge fight for Mikey too but Lopez going to be a real beast at 140 imo

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 28 Jun 2022, 10:12 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Went ghost on Rougarou, that win could have resurrected his career but I think most know how good Prograis is. The Spence fight (which maybe ruined Garcia’s career) was a bridge too far but how could he turn down that kind of money? Spence management were refusing to fight Crawford at that time(freezing Bob out) and needed a name so handed the smaller man a bag. Spence a big welterweight too, let’s not forget that also. Lopez when he moves up, that could have been a huge fight for Mikey too but Lopez going to be a real beast at 140 imo

That's my point - I think he'd got to the point where he just couldn't be bothered anymore. The Rougarou fight probably did him a favour as you say. I am not sure how he'd cope with Prograis or a resurgent Lopez wanting to prove a point (once he resurfaces). Why risk a painful beating from either of those guys when he can be comfortable watching them instead?

Is he likely to start training fighters? Or is he more of a media guy and might start working as a pundit?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 28 Jun 2022, 11:42 am

Media guy.  Maybe DAZN could use him because their American presentation team, have you seen it? Woeful is being kind. But how long before the owner pulls the plug anyway? If not Sky, if not BT then who? Because without a mainstream broadcaster surely they’re on a one way ticket to you know where. Which is a great shame because Eddy is one of the promoters who wants to make the best fights

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 28 Jun 2022, 12:03 pm

Bit of the Kell Brook about him in terms of how his career panned out, albeit he has the superior overall accomplishments: seemed to linger on the periphery of the really big time for a while without ever quite getting there, then was undone by promotional issues, out-the-ring distractions and the odd injury. Out the picture for a while, and before you know it they're long in the tooth and have become the men that boxing forgot. Time waits for no man....Which is a shame.

Was quite interested in Garcia back in the day, even though he was a bit of a weight bully at Feather where he first started attracting the hype. But to me he never really looked all that great once he lost that size advantage which he had over his early title opponents and I think all those world titles flatter him slightly. He certainly looked like a man with very little desire or ambition left in his last fight against Martin - if that fight is any kind of indicator of his commitment to the sport these days then he's probably doing the right thing by hanging them up.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jun 2022, 12:09 pm

Garcia made a lot of money, fair play to him, but ducking Lomachenko kinda set out his stall.
He chased Spence for the money, but he saw it as a no lose scenario. But Spence pretty much destroyed Garcia’s reputation.
I’d consider Garcia a C+\B- level tbh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down