The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WALES INTERNATIONAL: GAMES, SQUADS, TOURNAMENTS, CHAT - SUMMER TOUR & SEASON 2022/23

+46
Morgan75
Barney McGrew did it
neilthom7
Maine man
lostinwales
Sharkey06
LeinsterFan4life
Intotouch
catchweight
Recwatcher16
Irish Londoner
jimbopip
TAFKA The Oracle
BigGee
alive555
ScarletSpiderman
sensisball
RDW
BamBam
TJ
Shifty
tigertattie
carpet baboon
MichaelT
mountain man
Pete330v2
Duty281
eirebilly_01
Collapse2005
JDizzle
bsando
George Carlin
chris_501
PhilBB
Luckless Pedestrian
doctor_grey
Heaf
Poorfour
majesticimperialman
Oakdene
LordDowlais
formerly known as Sam
RiscaGame
mikey_dragon
Old Man
No 7&1/2
50 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

WALES INTERNATIONAL: GAMES, SQUADS, TOURNAMENTS, CHAT - SUMMER TOUR & SEASON 2022/23 - Page 19 Empty Re: WALES INTERNATIONAL: GAMES, SQUADS, TOURNAMENTS, CHAT - SUMMER TOUR & SEASON 2022/23

Post by Guest Tue 12 Jul 2022, 10:39 am

First topic message reminder :

Here it is:

Springbok team to face Wales in Cape Town:
15 – Damian Willemse (DHL Stormers) – 17 caps, 12 pts (1t, 2c, 1p)
14 – Cheslin Kolbe (Toulon) – 19 caps 18pts, 50pts (10t)
13 – Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks) – 27 caps, 25 pts (5t)
12 – Damian de Allende (Wild Knights) – 59 caps, 35 pts (7t)
11 – Makazole Mapimpi (Cell C Sharks) – 26 caps, 100 pts (20t)
10 – Handre Pollard (Leicester Tigers) – 61 caps, 613 pts (6t, 83c, 131p, 4d)
9 – Jaden Hendrikse (Cell C Sharks) – 3 caps, 5 pts (1t)
8 – Jasper Wiese (Leicester Tigers) – 12 caps, 0 pts
7 – Pieter-Steph du Toit (Toyota Verblitz) – 59 caps, 25 pts (5t)
6 – Siya Kolisi (captain, Cell C Sharks) – 64 caps, 30 pts (6t)
5 – Lood de Jager (Wild Knights) – 57 caps, 25 pts (5t)
4 – Eben Etzebeth (Cell C Sharks) – 99 caps, 15 pts (3t)
3 – Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers) – 47 caps, 5pts (1t)
2 – Bongi Mbonambi (Cell C Sharks) – 49 caps, 50 pts (10t)
1 – Trevor Nyakane (Racing 92) – 55 caps, 5pts (1t)

Replacements:
16 – Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears) – 48 caps, 55 pts (11t)
17 – Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers) – 60 caps, 5pts (1t)
18 – Vincent Koch (Wasps) 33 caps, 0 pts
19 – Franco Mostert (Honda Heat) – 52 caps, 5pts (1t)
20 – Kwagga Smith (Shizuoka Blue Revs) – 20 caps, 5 pts (1t)
21 – Elrigh Louw (Vodacom Bulls) – 1 cap, 0pts
22 – Faf de Klerk (Canon Eagles) – 37caps, 25pts (5t)
23 – Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz) – 73 caps, 60 pts (12t)

Back to top Go down

WALES INTERNATIONAL: GAMES, SQUADS, TOURNAMENTS, CHAT - SUMMER TOUR & SEASON 2022/23 - Page 19 Empty Re: WALES INTERNATIONAL: GAMES, SQUADS, TOURNAMENTS, CHAT - SUMMER TOUR & SEASON 2022/23

Post by Oakdene Tue 23 May 2023, 8:09 am

RiscaGame wrote:Very interesting that. I am sure the WRU won't bat an eyelid, but more of this needs to happen for them to wake up (in my opinion).

It is, though from a selfish point of view they're the Scarlets main sponsor so this is very concerning.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 23 May 2023, 10:49 am

Absolutely. Guess it depends what agreement you have in place, that seemingly they’ll honour?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Tue 23 May 2023, 11:05 am

RiscaGame wrote:Absolutely. Guess it depends what agreement you have in place, that seemingly they’ll honour?

Yes, they have said they aren't going to enter any new deals so here's hoping we're ok for the coming season at the very least.

I hear Cardiff are struggling cash flow wise?

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 23 May 2023, 11:15 am

Yeah, it doesn't sound great.

I hope the Dragons deal goes through sooner than the deadline seemingly imposed (July), as it will hopefully give the pro teams more ammunition to push back against the WRU, if there isn't a perceived conflict of interests.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Tue 23 May 2023, 11:17 am

RiscaGame wrote:Yeah, it doesn't sound great.

I hope the Dragons deal goes through sooner than the deadline seemingly imposed (July), as it will hopefully give the pro teams more ammunition to push back against the WRU, if there isn't a perceived conflict of interests.

I have a feeling if it doesn't then the deadline will just be pushed back every time.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 31 May 2023, 10:18 am

Rhys Webb has also just retired before the world cup, effective immediately from what I understand.

Something not quite right in camp?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 31 May 2023, 10:37 am

I would say it's maybe a bit of that, bit more of the way the WRU are treating their supply chain.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 31 May 2023, 11:11 am

Will Wales be able to field a team at this rate....

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 31 May 2023, 11:52 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Rhys Webb has also just retired before the world cup, effective immediately from what I understand.

Something not quite right in camp?

Depends on the offer he has received from abroad - might be too good to turn down or risk getting injured before he joins the new club.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 31 May 2023, 12:41 pm

Strange, he was likely to be first choice. Am I right in saying he's never been to a world cup?

Gareth Davies is now first choice for me.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 31 May 2023, 3:26 pm

Couple of whispers that AWJ, Tipuric & Webb aren't happy with who has been chosen as captain - not sure how much to read into it though.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 31 May 2023, 9:02 pm

Haha, it’s Rowlands as captain isn’t it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Thu 01 Jun 2023, 9:01 am

I can imagine a French team saying that they wouldn’t offer Webb a contract if he went to the WC. After all, they’d be looking for players to cover when the WC players are away. So there might be some truth in that rumour that he’s been offered a contract abroad that is contingent on him not going to the WC. However, wasn’t it Webb who needed to get his previous contract in France terminated as his family hated it? They came home early and he tried to stay on but couldn’t be apart from them. If so, it would be odd if he’s gone to France again.

I think some of this is contract stuff but some of it is a two fingers up to the WRU for the previous contract and funding row. They called off the strike before the England game but this is maybe a way for individuals to protest.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Thu 01 Jun 2023, 9:09 am

mountain man wrote:Will Wales be able to field a team at this rate....

Well, in reality it’s only 3 players (so far)!

AWJ - would have had him in the squad as a senior head but on form you might question whether he starts any games. So an argument there that he’s not a massive loss. But a WC needs an extended squad so I would have taken him.
Tipuric - class act and hard to follow but Wales does have a lot of decent back row players, and some that were not even selected (E.g. Thomas Young). So I think we’ll be ok without him.
Webb - has worked his way back up the pecking order and was very good at the end of the 6N against Italy. MOM performance. But Tomos Williams is still class and Gareth Davies has regained a lot of form. I was reading an interesting piece that suggested Pivac did not allow anything to happen off 9. All of his plays came from pods further out and played off the 10. So his 9s were not allowed to snipe. Not sure how much truth is in this but a feature for Wales under Gatland was players like Mike Phillips, Webb, Davies (especially), Williams all being a threat around the ruck so I hope this plays to the strengths of Davies and Williams. And if they’re in form then Webb isn’t such a great loss.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 01 Jun 2023, 4:29 pm

Rhys Carre out of the squad through being unfit!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 01 Jun 2023, 5:07 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Rhys Carre out of the squad through being unfit!

At least this one didn't retire...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 01 Jun 2023, 5:12 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

At least this one didn't retire...

Semantics - you could say he has been retired!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 01 Jun 2023, 6:47 pm

Shocking by the WRU to release the details like that, in my opinion. I would've thought Gatland's Crossfit challenges could've got him fit enough, otherwise what's the point of jetting off to these places? I get they should have targets, but I can't see how you can get him to shift weight so easily really. It's not as if he isn't pretty mobile for a prop. Good news for Nicky Smith mind.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 01 Jun 2023, 8:58 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Shocking by the WRU to release the details like that, in my opinion. I would've thought Gatland's Crossfit challenges could've got him fit enough, otherwise what's the point of jetting off to these places? I get they should have targets, but I can't see how you can get him to shift weight so easily really. It's not as if he isn't pretty mobile for a prop. Good news for Nicky Smith mind.
From what I've read it's targets he was given during the Six Nations that haven't been met. Rather than coming into camp, getting given new expectations and realising he's not there.

Bobby Stridgeon left the Wales setup after the Six Nations but Huw Bennett, Stridgeon's understudy for 8 years, stepped into the top S&C job so continuity in approach there. My presumption would be that Carre was so far adrift during the Six Nations fitness testing that they gave him benchmarks they felt he needed to hit by the summer in order to make it through the camps.

Given reports of Gatland being very shocked by fitness levels across the squad I'd guess that Carre wasn't the only one either. Perhaps others just did their homework better so to speak.

I agree somewhat that releasing the reason so publicly doesn't help anyone though. If enough injuries hit they might feel even an unfit Carre becomes the next best option. This release could back them into an awkward corner if that happens.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 02 Jun 2023, 7:51 am

I thought you were taking the mick when I read that... that really is crap man management when you're read his comments previously around weight.

No 7&1/2

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 03 Jun 2023, 3:01 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:

I thought you were taking the mick when I read that... that really is crap man management when you're read his comments previously around weight.

Exactly. A WRU allegedly under scrutiny for being toxic and bullies. Release that statement? Wow.

RiscaGame

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 09 Jun 2023, 9:31 am

Ok so I'm not overly fussed by Carre given previous coaches have said the same about him, albeit not in such a horrific statement. Gatland had a similar issue with Adam Jones all those years ago & he left him out of a squad because he didn't hit his body fat target & that gave him the rocket up the proverbial to get his head down....lets hope this works for Carre.

Now we're pleading with Cory Hill to play in the RWC after he's been offered a deal from a French side which if he signs they don't want him playing in the RWC.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Fri 09 Jun 2023, 9:53 am

Rugby is a brutal sport at the pro level with life long lasting impacts on the body (and, increasingly, the brain). Players who can get good contracts and bumper salaries should grab them with both hands. Unfortunately the WRU, through mismanagement, incompetence and lack of vision, have now found themselves in a position where they're not able to offer either. Offering pro players of this sport 10% (in some cases) of what they could earn in England, France, Ireland (less likely to be offered a contract there though), Japan, etc. is only going to accelerate the exodus of top players. And then they'll need to plead with players to play for them, like in the case of Cory Hill. What an absolute sh*t show. Players would die to play for Wales in the past. Now they need to choose their livelihoods vs national honours. And who can blame them for choosing the day job?

Please can we have a proper re-structure of the union? Clear out the gravy trainers. Clear out the blazers. Install a modern, forward thinking board with heaps of commercial experience, savvy and know how. Make it fit for purpose in a modern sporting & commercial environment. And then lets rebuild. Past players with zero or very little business experience in charge of a £100m business should never be the way to go. In any other business it wouldn't be acceptable, so why Welsh rugby?

I fear we haven't reached the bottom yet! More pain and misery to come before we start to get things back on track Sad

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 1:36 pm

Hill withdrawing now too. Are there any rumours circulating in Wales as to underlying reasons or is it just the straightforward ones in the press and it's just a bit of a coincidence that they're all happening now?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 09 Jun 2023, 2:12 pm

It sounds like Hill has been offered a big Top 14 deal but on the contingency that he is available all season. It seems he's opted for the safety of that over further international honours. Seemingly a personal decision around finances rather than something to do with the Wales setup.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 09 Jun 2023, 9:54 pm

I personally wouldn't have recalled Hill in the first place, given the cloud he left Wales under. So I am glad that Cement Head doesn't have that decision to make now.

Agree that the WRU board needs ripped up. Starting with this moron.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65849140

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 12 Jun 2023, 10:15 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Hill withdrawing now too. Are there any rumours circulating in Wales as to underlying reasons or is it just the straightforward ones in the press and it's just a bit of a coincidence that they're all happening now?

I have heard that some in the camp aren't happy with who has been selected as Captain but nothing more than that. AWJ wasn't happy with the way he would be used by Gatland by all accounts, which I guess means he isn't a starter. Tipuric is one who isn't happy with the selection of skipper.

Oakdene

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 12 Jun 2023, 7:15 pm

It’s Will Rowlands I’m telling ye!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Tue 13 Jun 2023, 8:41 am

mikey_dragon wrote:It’s Will Rowlands I’m telling ye!

If my comments on Tipuric are true & he didn't like who was selected as captain, you could be right in so much as he's a good mate of AWJ & he's pissed off on his behalf.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Tue 13 Jun 2023, 9:12 am

Plus, there may be something about Rowlands and his 'Welshness'. I know, I know - this is going to sound xenophobic or something. But it's one thing representing Wales through qualification. But captaining them....... I wonder if they feel that a player who is not Welsh born, has only stepped into Wales very briefly to play for the Dragons and then jumped back out as soon as a better offer was on the table, is perhaps not deserving of such an accolade? If you compare him to AWJ who is Mr Wales, played all of his rugby (to date) in Wales, one pro side, etc., etc. Maybe that doesn't sit well? Completely speculating here. But I can imagine that causing a bit of a stink if it happened in, say, England or France, with a Welshman or Irishman being called up via a grandparent and then being captain within a very short space of time.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Tue 13 Jun 2023, 9:16 am

I see where you're coming from there.

The only other 2 I can see Tip's having an issue with being captain is Ken or maybe Jac Morgan.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 13 Jun 2023, 4:12 pm

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:Plus, there may be something about Rowlands and his 'Welshness'.  I know, I know - this is going to sound xenophobic or something.  But it's one thing representing Wales through qualification.  But captaining them....... I wonder if they feel that a player who is not Welsh born, has only stepped into Wales very briefly to play for the Dragons and then jumped back out as soon as a better offer was on the table, is perhaps not deserving of such an accolade? If you compare him to AWJ who is Mr Wales, played all of his rugby (to date) in Wales, one pro side, etc., etc. Maybe that doesn't sit well?  Completely speculating here.  But I can imagine that causing a bit of a stink if it happened in, say, England or France, with a Welshman or Irishman being called up via a grandparent and then being captain within a very short space of time.

No you’re absolutely right with all of that, and I get it. On the contrary, he’s become one of our best and most consistent players. He was a bit raw when he first started but he continued at it, got to respect that. Rowlands when fit is one of our players assured of their place.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Tue 13 Jun 2023, 11:10 pm

Not doubting his ability as a player. Easily our best lock IMO. Awesome player. Just wonder about his credentials as a captain due to him not being ‘Mr Wales’. Again, purely speculation as I do not know if it’s him that has been offered the captain’s armband Smile

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 14 Jun 2023, 1:29 am

Speculation at this point but I can’t figure out who would be captain and rile up the others.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 14 Jun 2023, 8:03 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65895289

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 14 Jun 2023, 8:06 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65895289

Seems ridiculous Gatland wasn't aware of issues facing Welsh rugby to be honest. We all knew, so someone on inside like him must know a whole lot more.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 14 Jun 2023, 2:24 pm

mountain man wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65895289

Seems ridiculous Gatland wasn't aware of issues facing Welsh rugby to be honest. We all knew, so someone on inside like him must know a whole lot more.
Knowing it's bad and suspecting it could get worse is different to actually knowing the exact scale of the mire though.

I follow these things fairly closely in the Prem for instance. Going into this season I knew it was bad and feared it might get worse but even so I wasn't expecting Wasps, Wuss and LI to go boom. Since that happened I've heard many fans say, "we knew this was coming", but really I don't think we did. PRL and the RFU absolutely should have but their lack of diligence is a different story. Many fans knew it was bad but seeing three Prem clubs go boom or the regions slashing operating budgets by a quarter for next season and saying, "we all knew", feels like 20/20 hindsight. I can't remember any posters here predicting this extent of issues a year or two ago for instance.

On another Tigers boards there's a poster who works in financial services and is one of the most knowledgeable on rugby I've discussed the sport with. He has done full breakdowns of a clubs accounts. He'll look at their public accounts, debts, assets, etc and then look up the same for owners, their companies, parent companies of the clubs being run. From what he did there the only club I thought was really in danger compared to previous years were Wasps. LI for instance had debts (to each owner and the DCMS covid loan) but also a big asset in the Hazelwood Centre and Crossan's company, even with LIs losses consolidated into it, is doing very well.

Basically, what I'm saying is suspecting it's getting worse and knowing the full scale are very different things. As for those on the inside knowing more we only need to look at how in the dark the players and coaches under clubs and unions have been. Going into games not having a clue if they are getting paid this week at multiple Prem clubs or the regions not having a scooby if contracts are going to be tabled for the following season.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 15 Jun 2023, 12:06 pm

Reported elsewhere that Gatland is considering calling up Jake Ball. Seems like a non-story. I do think we should though, mikey called it months ago.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 15 Jun 2023, 4:05 pm

The Welsh Rugby Union has appointed Richard Collier-Keywood, the former global vice-chair of PricewaterhouseCoopers, as its first independent chair.

Collier-Keywood will be joined on the WRU board by another independent non-executive director in Alison Thorne, the former chair of leading equality charity Chwarae Teg.

Thoughts?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 15 Jun 2023, 4:27 pm

These both seem very good appointments. I am surprised.

RiscaGame

mikey_dragon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 19 Jun 2023, 1:10 pm

The latest proposed shake-up - changing the Welsh Premiership. It will consist of 10 teams and be under the control of the Pro Game Board, as opposed to the community board! Each club is to linked to a Region with the focus being on developing professional players (something the WP could never do). A salary cap will be introduced (bad news for Merthyr), which should put a lid on paying over-the-hill semi-pro's, I think.

I am unsure who the 10 will be as it's not been said yet, but it is to include a North Wales team by the sounds of it. I am also not sure how Llanelli will fit into it given they 'folded'. My assumption was that Newport, Cardiff, Swansea and Llanelli would be in.
This is meant to be a professional league, right? The league below this will be semi-pro, likley to include clubs like Newbridge, Bargoed, etc. Will the 10 be ringfenced? Would make sense if we're trying to bridge the gap between the academies, regional and international game.

I'm not sure why we are obsessed with trying to mirror the NPC, I think proper A teams for the Regions would have made sense. That was abandonded some time ago though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 19 Jun 2023, 4:13 pm

Wales U20 squad:
Forwards: Josh Morse (Scarlets), Dylan Kelleher-Griffiths (Dragons RFC), Lewis Lloyd (Ospreys), Sam Scarfe (Dragons RFC), Lewis Morgan (Scarlets), Louis Fletcher (Ospreys), Ellis Fackrell (Ospreys), *Kian Hire (Ospreys), Liam Edwards (Ospreys), *Evan Hill (Ospreys), Mackenzie Martin (Cardiff Rugby), Jonny Green (Harlequins), Ryan Woodman (Dragons RFC), Morgan Morse (Ospreys), Lucas De la Rua (Cardiff Rugby), *Seb Driscoll (Harlequins), Gwilym Evans (Cardiff Rugby).

Backs: Archie Hughes (Scarlets), Harri Williams (Scarlets), Che Hope (Dragons RFC), Dan Edwards (Ospreys), *Harri Wilde (Cardiff Rugby), Bryn Bradley (Harlequins), Joe Westwood (Dragons RFC), Tom Florence (Ospreys), Louie Hennessey (Bath Rugby), Harri Houston (Ospreys), *Huw Anderson (Dragons RFC), Llien Morgan (Ospreys), Cameron Winnett (Cardiff Rugby).

*Uncapped at U20 level

A couple big lads up front, lock and back-row in particular, and the backline is very good if it's the same as previous. Under Mark Jones I think we'll be an improved team despite being grouped with France and NZ...

mikey_dragon

TAFKA The Oracle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Tue 20 Jun 2023, 11:54 am

mikey_dragon wrote:The latest proposed shake-up - changing the Welsh Premiership. It will consist of 10 teams and be under the control of the Pro Game Board, as opposed to the community board! Each club is to linked to a Region with the focus being on developing professional players (something the WP could never do). A salary cap will be introduced (bad news for Merthyr), which should put a lid on paying over-the-hill semi-pro's, I think.

I am unsure who the 10 will be as it's not been said yet, but it is to include a North Wales team by the sounds of it. I am also not sure how Llanelli will fit into it given they 'folded'. My assumption was that Newport, Cardiff, Swansea and Llanelli would be in.
This is meant to be a professional league, right? The league below this will be semi-pro, likley to include clubs like Newbridge, Bargoed, etc. Will the 10 be ringfenced? Would make sense if we're trying to bridge the gap between the academies, regional and international game.

I'm not sure why we are obsessed with trying to mirror the NPC, I think proper A teams for the Regions would have made sense. That was abandonded some time ago though.

This is both very interesting but at the same time riddled with the usual WRU politics and perhaps appears to be another ‘fudge’. Some are saying that this is just the 10 team premiership that Nigel Walker wanted all along. However, it will be very interesting to see who actually wants to be in it. If a club signs up to this then it has been made very clear that they are essentially just a regional pathway side whose purpose is to give game time to current pros and emerging academy prospects. That’s it. No other purpose. They’ll need to tow the regional line (or whatever you want to call it), probably have players parachuted in and taken away again when needed. Essentially these will be regional A sides with no purpose other than to serve one of the 4 pro sides. I cannot see the likes of Pontypridd signing up to that as they want to exist in their own right, do their own thing and not be a pathway puppet for Cardiff rugby. And I can understand that. However, don’t sign up and they’re condemning themselves to the 3rd tier of Welsh rugby with reduced funding. Basically a bit like being relegated from the Welsh Prem this season down to the next level. It’s a tough choice to make. We definitely need that regional A tier in between pro and semi pro. But it’s going to be fascinating to see the thought process of teams signing up or not signing up, those that are ‘invited’, etc.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 20 Jun 2023, 12:59 pm

Pontypridd could always align themselves to Dragons if they don't like Cardiff. Supposedly Ebbw Vale have alreday said no, which if true they can be stripped of the academy players who were sent there anc can go on to enjoy their time enternaining amateurism. I don't begrdge their choice as it's their choice to make, but I expect the union will direct some of their funding elsewhere.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Tue 20 Jun 2023, 2:28 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Pontypridd could always align themselves to Dragons if they don't like Cardiff. Supposedly Ebbw Vale have alreday said no, which if true they can be stripped of the academy players who were sent there anc can go on to enjoy their time enternaining amateurism. I don't begrdge their choice as it's their choice to make, but I expect the union will direct some of their funding elsewhere.

True, the relationship might be better between the two of us compared to Cardiff, but I can’t see Pontypridd wanting to align with anyone. When they had some sort of relationship with Cardiff in the recent past they complained of Cardiff stealing their players, when in fact it was the pathway working as it should I.e. decent up n coming players running out for Ponty, doing well, getting spotted and then being promoted to the pro team in their region. So not poaching or stealing, just player pathway development. They had plenty of players from the Cardiff academy loaned to them too, but they always pointed out the ones born in RCT as ‘their own’!

It’s a hard thing for any team to swallow. They want a chance to get to the top (I.e. a normal rugby pyramid structure) but the route we’ve gone down in Wales means it’s not possible for a club in Ponty’s position to do so. They they either need to accept regional pathways and become subservient to the Cardiff (or Dragons) pathway and forego any chance of individual club glory or honours, or drop to the top level of a amateur rugby and be the big fish in a small pond but with a chance to play in a normal rugby pyramid structure, win leagues and cups, etc. and be in charge of their own destiny. It’s not a call I’d like to make on behalf of the fans!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 20 Jun 2023, 2:38 pm

Yes all of that is true. They still have the same attitude now and cannot be reasoned with. If Ponty were made to work with a proper region in the beginning, and not someone named Cardiff, it might have gone a bit smoother.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Tue 20 Jun 2023, 9:56 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Yes all of that is true. They still have the same attitude now and cannot be reasoned with. If Ponty were made to work with a proper region in the beginning, and not someone named Cardiff, it might have gone a bit smoother.

Yeah, that’s a good point. It was a fudge from the start. Although they were part of Warriors, which I think they moaned about too (lol), but it folded due to lack of interest and backing (and then the WRU spotting an opportunity to cut to 4 by not helping them out when the were in trouble!). And ever since Ponty have not wanted to be part of anything, not helped by Cardiff not wanting to be part of anything either!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 22 Jun 2023, 11:00 am

Ryan Woodman looks in good nick, I hope we're playing him at blind-side though and not lock. With the 2nd row I'd opt for Edwards and Green. The rest of the back-row to be taken up by Martin and Morse, these guys look like the best in their positions.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 22 Jun 2023, 3:43 pm

Wales U20: Cameron Winnett (Cardiff); Llien Morgan (Ospreys), Louie Hennessey (Bath), Bryn Bradley (Harlequins), Harri Houston (Ospreys); Dan Edwards (Ospreys), Archie Hughes (Scarlets); Dylan Kelleher-Griffiths (Dragons), Lewis Lloyd (Ospreys), Ellis Fackrell (Ospreys), Liam Edwards (Ospreys), Jonny Green (Harlequins), Ryan Woodman (Dragons - capt), Lucus De La Rua (Cardiff), Morgan Morse (Ospreys)

Replacements: Sam Scarfe (Dragons), Josh Morse, Louis Fletcher (Ospreys), Evan Hill (Ospreys), Seb Driscoll (Harlequins), Tom Florence (Ospreys), Harri Wilde (Cardiff), Harri Williams (Scarlets).

Interesting, no room for McKenzie Martin.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 22 Jun 2023, 3:56 pm

Quins the new fifth region?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next