The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Cup

+14
Brendan
Geordie
Lowlandbrit
RiscaGame
WELL-PAST-IT
lostinwales
doctor_grey
king_carlos
Poorfour
Mr Bounce
majesticimperialman
dummy_half
mountain man
No 7&1/2
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

World Cup - Page 2 Empty World Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 06 Oct 2022, 8:26 am

First topic message reminder :

I'll header it world cup but start with England as, well I'm English. The World cup is nearly upon us. Hope this does as much for rugby as it did for football with the Lionesses win. It could bring some much needed positivity to the sport here following the highlighted risks from head injury cases and the decline of Worcester (and Wasps).

The first lineup is here, and England remain the favourties having won their last 25 matches (which takes over Cyprus' record):

England: Kildunne; Thompson, Scarratt, Rowland, MacDonald; Harrison, Infante; Cornborough, Cokayne, Bern, Aldcroft, Ward, Matthews, Kabeya, Hunter (capt).

Replacements: Powell, Botterman, Muir, O'Donnell, Cleall, L Packer, Aitchison, Dow.

Bit of info from the Beeb.

'Fiji are already proving to be a popular side at the tournament and England head coach Middleton says "we're going to be the bad guys on Saturday".

"They're probably going to want an open, flowing game based around a bit of carnage," he added.

"We want to try and bring them under control."

Dow may well help England match fire with fire, with Middleton suggesting the wing is nearly back to her best.

"She scored a couple of tries in training yesterday and she puts the fear of god into defenders in front of her," he said.

"Before she got injured she was the best finisher in world rugby. To get back from where she's been is incredible - enjoying it is the most important thing."

England's match at 04:45 BST will be the second of three on the opening day at Auckland's Eden Park, where a record attendance is expected with fewer than 1,800 tickets left for the 50,000 capacity venue.

France and New Zealand - England's main contenders for the trophy - will also play at Eden Park on Saturday.

France face South Africa in the tournament opener at 02:15, with hosts New Zealand taking on Australia in the final game of the day at 07:15.

Wales and Scotland play each other in Whangarei at 05:45 on Sunday, 9 October.'

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: World Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Oct 2022, 8:59 am

Quite, it was more amazement at the ability to shuffle. Of course they have to win on Sunday. That would make it 28 tests in a row; quickly looking that this may stand for many many years without anyone getting near it.

the South Africa team:

Eloise Webb; Nomawethu Mabenge, Simamkele Namba, Chumisa Qawe, Nadine Roos; Zenay Jordaan, Tayla Kinsey; Sanelisiwe Charlie, Roseline Botes, Babalwa Latsha, Nolusindiso Booi (captain), Catha Jacobs, Lusanda Dumke, Lerato Makua, Aseza Hele.

Replacements: Micke Gunter, Yonela Ngxingolo, Azisa Mkiva, Nompumelelo Mathe, Sizophila Solontsi, Rumandi Potgieter, Jakkie Cilliers, Chuma Qawe.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 21 Oct 2022, 9:23 am

Mr Bounce wrote: I reckon there'll be a back 3 of Breach/Dow/McKenna for the South Africa game.

Called it! I think this will be an exceptional running game. Tries galore with that back 3. Interested to see how Connie Powell, Tatyana Heard, Morwenna Talling and Rosie Galligan do. Am guessing that there's quite a bit of competition for places so am expecting some great performances.

Is Laura Keates just there to make up the numbers in case of injury? She hasn't seen the pitch yet.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 21 Oct 2022, 12:06 pm

I am so pleased fpr Marlie Packer to be Captain for this game. it as been a long time coming.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 23 Oct 2022, 4:59 am

doctor_grey wrote:Tess Feury, is from my Rugby club here in New Jersey and I have known her since she was in our flag program.  We could not be more proud of her....  
Scored a nice try until it was disallowed there. Obvious foul, but it didn't look like the player that got blocked would have interfered with the move.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 23 Oct 2022, 7:47 am

England always going to win but pretty poor at times, especially first half. SA good first 20 but fitness and better overall play from England told.
Galligan excellent as was Heard in centre.
Overall 6.5/10 performance.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 23 Oct 2022, 8:54 am

Can young Miss Heard teach our men's 12s how to play... Laugh

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 23 Oct 2022, 9:10 am

So onto the QFs. My predictions are winners England, NZ, France and Canada. Be very surprised if one of those 4 don't make it.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 24 Oct 2022, 5:45 pm

That Canadian team is quite good. Watched their last match (against Tess Fuery and the USA team) and they were solid. There seemed to me to be something slightly off in their attack (the Americans might have had something to do with that) but their defense was solid.

They could be a real challenge to break down, and could easily steal a match against England, NZ, or France.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 24 Oct 2022, 7:07 pm

I am looking forward to the France v Italy game ,normally i would expect France to win. But i think it is too close yo call

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 26 Oct 2022, 7:18 am

The NZR have really messed up their fixture list. Black Ferns due to kick off at the same time as the All Blacks this weekend. The solution they've found is that they'll be showing the men's match after the women's finishes as neither could be moved.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 26 Oct 2022, 10:52 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:The NZR have really messed up their fixture list. Black Ferns due to kick off at the same time as the All Blacks this weekend. The solution they've found is that they'll be showing the men's match after the women's finishes as neither could be moved.

Yep and the England v Aus match has the clocks going back during the game. Not organisers fault of course but potentially confusing for those of us on BST/GMT. Kick off is 01:30 BST and clocks go back at 02:00.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 26 Oct 2022, 12:39 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:The NZR have really messed up their fixture list. Black Ferns due to kick off at the same time as the All Blacks this weekend. The solution they've found is that they'll be showing the men's match after the women's finishes as neither could be moved.

New Zealand really aren't covering themselves in glory as far as this RWC goes. I also don't understand - given the participants in the QF matches weren't predetermined - why they didn't just allocate the slots in a way that would maximise viewing. They could have put the England-Australia match in the slot NZ-Wales have, for instance, and made it easier for everyone.

majesticimperialman wrote:I am looking forward to the France v Italy game ,normally i would expect France to win. But i think it is too close yo call

I wouldn't have said that Maj, given how close France pushed England. I'd expect Italy to put up a good 50 minutes but they're still over 6 points behind France in the rankings, for all that they're ranked 5th.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 26 Oct 2022, 2:23 pm

They forgot the time of the women's teams game apparently.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 29 Oct 2022, 8:03 am

Anyway, Wales have had their moments but New Zealand easing the game out of reach. Superb break for the last try.

Very impressed by the ref, too - clear, good game management and not missing much
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 30 Oct 2022, 1:24 am

19-5 up at HT, absolutely horrendous conditions though.
Any criticism of England using forward strengths can be disregarded, it's what's needed today for sure. Heard looking good again in backs but otherwise all the pack so far.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 30 Oct 2022, 8:11 am

Bit of weather then.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 30 Oct 2022, 8:24 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Bit of weather then.

It was ridiculous especially first half. Loads of handling errors from both sides which was completely understandable. Aus scored a very good try so credit to them but Eng too strong. Canada beat USA so it's them in semi. England should be confident of win. Assuming it's NZ Eng final which a lot are, they will be tough as playing very well. Anyway, semis to come first!

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 31 Oct 2022, 1:01 pm

Canada are an interesting challenge given the strength of their pack, but I think they'd have to play at the top of their game and put England off theirs to win.

Black Ferns v France is a bit more even. The Ferns are far better than they were when France last beat them - but France have been the only team able to run England close. I'd assume an NZ win, but the bigger question whoever wins may well be what it costs them to do it. I'd expect it to be pretty brutal and attritional, and it could take a toll.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 31 Oct 2022, 10:50 pm

Poorfour wrote:Canada are an interesting challenge given the strength of their pack, but I think they'd have to play at the top of their game and put England off theirs to win.

Black Ferns v France is a bit more even. The Ferns are far better than they were when France last beat them - but France have been the only team able to run England close. I'd assume an NZ win, but the bigger question whoever wins may well be what it costs them to do it. I'd expect it to be pretty brutal and attritional, and it could take a toll.

We know NZ can attack and France can defend. We know that France will be physical and can kick from hand and tee. I am not so sure about NZ will deal with that.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 05 Nov 2022, 5:05 am

England having a tough time against Canada, but I’m unimpressed by the referee from what I’ve seen so far. She’s been quick to penalise England (and very quick to wave the yellow card), while missing or letting slip quite a bit of stuff from Canada. I don’t mind a ref being strict, but it has to be equally accurate in both directions.

Still, Canada are putting up a real fight and England can thank their counter-rucking for their lead.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 05 Nov 2022, 5:10 am

England are defending narrowly, and Canada are making good use of it by getting wide early and picking clever lines. There’s lots to analyse ahead of the final, whoever gets there.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 05 Nov 2022, 5:25 am

What a game! Canada superb and so close to winning that
England tested like haven't been for a long time
Dow try best I've seen for ages

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 05 Nov 2022, 5:30 am

Anyone who thinks women's rugby isn't as good as men need to sit down and watch that match
Brilliant attack and defence.
Canada burst through England line too easily, something France/NZ will have watched closely.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 05 Nov 2022, 7:08 am

Odd call from Neville there - NZ had several phases with clean ball, so very odd to allow scrum advantage for that long.

What odds would you have got for NZ needing nearly 30 minutes to score their first points from a penalty kick?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 05 Nov 2022, 7:08 am

France’s kicking - normally one of their distinctive strengths - is really letting them down right now.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 05 Nov 2022, 7:42 am

Another cracking semi-final in progress.
Assuming New Zealand eventually prevail - though that’s not a given at this point - England will look at the line out and ruck as places to target, but will need to be wary of the offloading game. Both sides are making good yards out wide, which might encourage England to use their backs a bit more.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 05 Nov 2022, 7:49 am

Breathless stuff with both sides trying to increase the tempo but getting pretty loose in their play. Neville still playing weirdly long advantage on knock ons,
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 05 Nov 2022, 8:21 am

Last minute drama. The card is probably the right call, but more important is whether the penalty is kickable.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 05 Nov 2022, 9:14 am

The Final we expected, but neither team got there in the manner we expected. Both sides will have plenty to think about, but I think England will take some confidence from how close France pushed the Ferns.

If France's kicking had been up to its usual standard, they could have won that, while England beat France in the pool stages marginally more comfortably.

Still, it should be a thrilling final.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 05 Nov 2022, 10:02 am

Canada got through Eng line too easily I thought. NZ on break even better so Eng plenty to work on for final.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 05 Nov 2022, 10:26 am

mountain man wrote:Canada got through Eng line too easily I thought. NZ on break even better so Eng plenty to work on for final.

That’s true. But England will in turn be looking at how France were able to steal off the lineout and force turnovers in open play. Both sides have things to work on.
Poorfour
Poorfour

mountain man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 05 Nov 2022, 11:26 am

Two cracking games today.
England v New Zealand next week. What away to finish a great tournament.
Surely the likes of Canada should be given full time contract after getting this far in the tournament,

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 05 Nov 2022, 12:43 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Two cracking games today.
England  v New Zealand next week. What away to finish a great tournament.
Surely the likes of Canada should be given full time contract after getting this far in the tournament,

That’s up to the Canadian RU - but they certainly deserve it. That said, I think quite a few of their squad are playing in the Premier 15s, so the disparity between amateur and pro is not quite as big as it might seem. They’re still amateurs, but they’re getting a professional standard of training.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 08 Nov 2022, 1:44 pm

Hollie Davidson chosen to referee the WRC Final.

Well done to her. The clash of the tians England lost the last time they met in 2017. I just hope England are better prepaired this time and prove why they are number 1 in the world.

majesticimperialman

Poorfour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 12 Nov 2022, 6:36 am

Massive blow with Infante out injured. However, great start from England!

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 12 Nov 2022, 6:51 am

Now that's a huge blow...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 12 Nov 2022, 6:56 am

Brilliant response ladles!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 12 Nov 2022, 6:58 am

Going to be tough 60 mins down to 14.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 12 Nov 2022, 7:39 am

1st time tuning in....can't say I'm that impressed. Defence and tackling is almost comical.

Commentators going on saying how amazing it is....its really not, its frustrating if anything.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 12 Nov 2022, 7:41 am

England missing far too many tackles. NZ going keep getting wide.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 12 Nov 2022, 7:47 am

Why don't England go 1 down in the pack to match the backs? They still have a dominance....but getting hammered out wide.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 12 Nov 2022, 8:05 am

Officiating leaves a lot to be desired. Knock ons....taking the jumper out every line out......a lot gets missed.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 12 Nov 2022, 8:06 am

That's a red!!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 12 Nov 2022, 8:07 am

That's a red.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 12 Nov 2022, 8:09 am

Clearly smashing head on head isn't a red when playing nz in nz in a WC final.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 12 Nov 2022, 8:09 am

Definitely a red. That's a terrible decision.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 12 Nov 2022, 8:10 am

Why was it not shown either? It was clear head...shoulder first and rode up????

NZ are offside every play....every one.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 12 Nov 2022, 8:12 am

That Dow girl is a brave little bugger.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 12 Nov 2022, 8:12 am

I think they applied the mitigation based on minimal arm on shoulder contact, which is obviously completely irrelevant to the head on head contact.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 12 Nov 2022, 8:20 am

Outside a rolling maul and scrum, England don't have much to offer. NZ back play is light-years ahead.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next