The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URC Round 8

+11
Maine man
thebandwagonsociety
RiscaGame
carpet baboon
Oakdene
Pete330v2
LeinsterFan4life
RugbyFan100
PhilBB
Kingshu
neilthom7
15 posters

Go down

URC Round 8 Empty URC Round 8

Post by neilthom7 Wed 23 Nov 2022, 8:13 pm

And we are back at league games again after (mostly) the internationals

Teams need to get right back at with European games coming up soon and the league being so competitive so far.

All games on Premier Sport, URC TV, SuperSport, ViaPlay and Discovery+

Friday 25th November 2022

DHL Stormers v Scarlets- DHL Stadium, Cape Town – KO 17.00 IRE & UK / 18.00 ITA / 19.00 SA
BBC Wales, TG4

Ulster v Zebre Parma- Kingspan Stadium, Belfast – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA / 21.35 SA
Live on: BBC NI, TG4, Eurosport

Saturday 26th November 2022

Vodacom Bulls v Ospreys- Loftus Versfeld Stadium, Pretoria – KO 13.00 IRE & UK / 14.00 ITA / 15.00 SA
Live on: S4C

Benetton v Edinburgh Rugby- Stadio Monigo, Treviso – KO 13.00 IRE & UK / 14.00 ITA / 15.00 SA

Leinster v Glasgow Warriors- RDS Arena, Dublin – KO 15.15 IRE & UK / 16.15 ITA / 17.15 SA
Live on: RTÉ

Munster v Connacht- Thomond Park, Limerick – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA / 21.35 SA
Live on: TG4

Sunday 27th November 2022

Emirates Lions v Dragons RFC- Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg – KO 14.00 IRE & UK / 15.00 ITA / 16.00 SA

Cell C Sharks v Cardiff Rugby- Hollywoodbets Kings Park, Durban – KO 16.10 IRE & UK / 17.10 ITA / 18.10 SA

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

URC Round 8 Empty Re: URC Round 8

Post by Kingshu Wed 23 Nov 2022, 8:30 pm

https://rugby365.com/tournaments/united-rugby-championship/news-united-rugby-championship/welsh-regions-like-lambs-to-the-slaughter-on-sa-venture/

SA not really thinking much of the Welsh regions.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Thu 24 Nov 2022, 8:21 am

Kingshu wrote:https://rugby365.com/tournaments/united-rugby-championship/news-united-rugby-championship/welsh-regions-like-lambs-to-the-slaughter-on-sa-venture/

Are you the same Kingshu who wrote:

"3 of them are Promoted super clubs, Cardiff Blues rebranded to Cardiff Rugby as they always have been Cardiff RFC. Scarlets are Llanalli RFC, who were nicknamed the Scarlets. Dragons are Newport RFC. Ospreys are the only new idenity. The provlem with promoting the super clubs is large areas of Wales have no team to support, after the Celtic Warriors were disbanded, one of wales hotbeds of Rugby was left disenfranchised. Its like expecting people in Cork to support Shannon RFC. So half of Wales don’t have a team to support, and half of the ones that do, dont want it in the URC they want the English Premiership. Problems qith Welsh rugby go back to 2003, when Llanalli and Cardiff refused to create regions and demanded stand alone super club status"

(https://www.the42.ie/rugby-weekly-extra-welsh-rugby-5763644-Nov2022/?utm_source=shortlink)
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Thu 24 Nov 2022, 11:22 am

I like this comment on that article:

let the Welsh team into the English premiership and replace them with a Spanish,Georgian, Romanian team etc. In the URC to improve the standard in those countries where there is interest in rugby.

It would be like the English Premeirship football fan asking to let teams from Andorra, Iceland and Luxembourg in to improve the standard of football in those countries.

That's what people think of the URC. It's a farmers league with a few top teams in that keep the test players fit. That's why its value is piss poor and it's visibility is next to zero on the world stage.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 24 Nov 2022, 6:12 pm

Ulster team v Zebre

Stewart Moore; McIlroy, Hume, Marshall, Stockdale; Flannery, Doak; Reid, Stewart, Marty Moore; Izuchukwu, Carter; Matty Rea, Marcus Rea, Vermeulen (capt).

Replacements: Andrew, Warwick, Toomaga-Allen, Henderson, McCann, McDonald, Curtis, Moxham.

Henderson back on the bench, nice to see him return. Vermuelen captains the side

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 24 Nov 2022, 6:59 pm

neilthom7 wrote:Ulster team v Zebre

Stewart Moore; McIlroy, Hume, Marshall, Stockdale; Flannery, Doak; Reid, Stewart, Marty Moore; Izuchukwu, Carter; Matty Rea, Marcus Rea, Vermeulen (capt).

Replacements: Andrew, Warwick, Toomaga-Allen, Henderson, McCann, McDonald, Curtis, Moxham.

Henderson back on the bench, nice to see him return.  Vermuelen captains the side
The 42 mentions that a bumper crowd of over 16k is expected, why is that out of curiosity?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 24 Nov 2022, 7:27 pm

They reduced tickets for this one to half price, obviously Zebre doesn't tend to be an attractive game but half price tickets lures people in looking for a relatively cheap night out.

Was pretty smart move really, wouldn't have got near that crowd without it for a game v Zebre

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 24 Nov 2022, 7:46 pm

neilthom7 wrote:They reduced tickets for this one to half price, obviously Zebre doesn't tend to be an attractive game but half price tickets lures people in looking for a relatively cheap night out.

Was pretty smart move really, wouldn't have got near that crowd without it for a game v Zebre
Half price tickets or not, that's a brilliant crowd for any game, let alone Zebre. Well done Ulster.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 24 Nov 2022, 7:49 pm

PhilBB wrote:
Kingshu wrote:https://rugby365.com/tournaments/united-rugby-championship/news-united-rugby-championship/welsh-regions-like-lambs-to-the-slaughter-on-sa-venture/

Are you the same Kingshu who wrote:

"3 of them are Promoted super clubs, Cardiff Blues rebranded to Cardiff Rugby as they always have been Cardiff RFC. Scarlets are Llanalli RFC, who were nicknamed the Scarlets. Dragons are Newport RFC. Ospreys are the only new idenity. The provlem with promoting the super clubs is large areas of Wales have no team to support, after the Celtic Warriors were disbanded, one of wales hotbeds of Rugby was left disenfranchised. Its like expecting people in Cork to support Shannon RFC. So half of Wales don’t have a team to support, and half of the ones that do, dont want it in the URC they want the English Premiership. Problems qith Welsh rugby go back to 2003, when Llanalli and Cardiff refused to create regions and demanded stand alone super club status"

(https://www.the42.ie/rugby-weekly-extra-welsh-rugby-5763644-Nov2022/?utm_source=shortlink)

Yep, don't think there is another Kingshu about.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 24 Nov 2022, 7:56 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
neilthom7 wrote:They reduced tickets for this one to half price, obviously Zebre doesn't tend to be an attractive game but half price tickets lures people in looking for a relatively cheap night out.

Half price tickets or not, that's a brilliant crowd for any game, let alone Zebre. Well done Ulster.

Still a few tickets for the Terrace left if you want a trip up the road, £12.50 to watch the best team in Ireland, bargain Whistle

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 24 Nov 2022, 7:59 pm

Great to get a full stadium V Zebre, but I do wonder if it shows that regular tickets are a bit overpriced?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 24 Nov 2022, 8:08 pm

neilthom7 wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Still a few tickets for the Terrace left if you want a trip up the road, £12.50 to watch the best team in Ireland, bargain Whistle
Very tempting, I might get a chance to convince Izuchukwu to come home Wink

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 24 Nov 2022, 8:12 pm

They are perhaps, I believe the tickets to the stand are £50 for most games these days.

That's not a particularly cheap night once you add in drinks, food etc especially if you are a family etc

Given everyones struggles with the cost of living these days it's not particularly surprising to see less 'casual' fans making their way into Kingspan.

I will say though I am happy to see Ulster trying to do stuff, having this offer, allowing season ticket holders to pay in 3 installments etc (I found that very useful this year) it shows at least a willingness to adapt

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 24 Nov 2022, 8:15 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
neilthom7 wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Very tempting, I might get a chance to convince Izuchukwu to come home Wink

Cormac is from Bushmills sure, he is home, everyone knows that Cool

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 24 Nov 2022, 8:27 pm

neilthom7 wrote:They are perhaps, I believe the tickets to the stand are £50 for most games these days.

That's not a particularly cheap night once you add in drinks, food etc especially if you are a family etc

Given everyones struggles with the cost of living these days it's not particularly surprising to see less 'casual' fans making their way into Kingspan.

I will say though I am happy to see Ulster trying to do stuff, having this offer, allowing season ticket holders to pay in 3 installments etc (I found that very useful this year) it shows at least a willingness to adapt

Great timing too, get a full stadium and buzz about Ulster leading into next home game being a HCup game.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 24 Nov 2022, 8:32 pm

Ulster have been rumoured to have a big signing lined up for after the WC, pretty sure now thats it PSDT.

Fits the bill, had agreed previously to go to Munster (shows Ireland is a possible move), but with his injuries at time IRFU didn't allow it, due to injury profile at the time. Position and profile.

Quinn Roux as well, know hes been looking a return to Ireland and Ulster will be looking to replace Carter with a IQ player.

DV for PSDT and Carter for Roux seams like an improvement to me.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 24 Nov 2022, 8:37 pm

Another one? Hadn't heard about that, I assumed Kitschoff was the one major non IQ signing and that there probably wouldn't be anymore

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 24 Nov 2022, 8:48 pm

neilthom7 wrote:Another one? Hadn't heard about that, I assumed Kitschoff was the one major non IQ signing and that there probably wouldn't be anymore

No when Kitschoff was signed the rumour was that he wasn't the big name signing and a bigger signing was still to come.

Squad looking stronger for next season

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 25 Nov 2022, 1:27 pm

I'd seen the rumours over on t'other forum but the KOTH character on there is keeping rather tight-lipped on any further signings. Maybe he just doesn't know but if it's true then we're well stocked going into next seasaon. Roux is a better player than Carter who has only started to perform for us lately to raise his own sale price no doubt.

Anyway, on to this evening and that's a strong side named for a home tie with Zebre. I hope Tommy Bowe's right in that we get 7 tries (or more) but more importantly that if (and when) we get the foot on the throat, it doesn't lift.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 25 Nov 2022, 2:09 pm

We, the Scarlets, actually have a decent side tonight on paper....the trouble for us though is the game isn't played on paper.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Fri 25 Nov 2022, 4:31 pm

Oakdene wrote:We, the Scarlets, actually have a decent side tonight on paper....the trouble for us though is the game isn't played on paper.

5pm kick off.

Absolute garbage league.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 25 Nov 2022, 4:49 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:
Oakdene wrote:We, the Scarlets, actually have a decent side tonight on paper....the trouble for us though is the game isn't played on paper.

5pm kick off.

Absolute garbage league.

Thanks for your input, absolutely fascinating.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 25 Nov 2022, 5:33 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:

5pm kick off.

Absolute garbage league.

I know how are the Scarlets fans supposed to finish work on a friday and get to Capetown in time for that kick off?

Kingshu

carpet baboon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 26 Nov 2022, 12:21 am

Kingshu wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:

5pm kick off.

Absolute garbage league.

I know how are the Scarlets fans supposed to finish work on a friday and get to Capetown in time for that kick off?

How are they meant to definitely finish work and watch their team on TV etc? Don’t be a Mr Winklechops!!

It’s not hard to try and understand frustrations.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 26 Nov 2022, 8:23 am

carpet baboon wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:

5pm kick off.

Absolute garbage league.

See my above too.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sat 26 Nov 2022, 11:02 am

How about recording the game and watching it when you get in from work? You can even fast forward through the half-time discussion. Modern tech and all that?
Alternatively the match could have kicked off at 9pm in Cape Town just to make sure nobody here would miss the kick off live.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Sat 26 Nov 2022, 11:18 am

Stormers 26 - 19 Scarlets
Fine performance from Stormers, a comfortable win. Scarlets continue to show themselves to be a poor side this year, shambolic at times.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Sat 26 Nov 2022, 11:23 am

Ulster 36 - 15 Zebre
Ulster in fine form and in good position to make a statement win for the season next week. That Carter yellow was so stupid, what was the lad thinking (though he probably wasn't thinking).

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 26 Nov 2022, 11:26 am

Comfortable win for Ulster last night, although they did not play well at all I thought, a lot of silly handling issues and defensive issues. A much better response will be required v Leinster.

As for the above posts if someone post 'absolute garbage league' with nothing else other than 5pm kick off then it will antagonise people Risca and there will be such responses.

I can understand frustration with a 5pm kick off on a Friday but given the person who posted it generally likes to insult the league I also suspect they just wanted another chance to do so.

It won't happen again though on any of my URC gameday posts because I won't be posting anymore of them since every URC post and others which aren't even URC related get taken over by this constant same arguments.

As for the 5pm kick off, did we also not think that maybe there is a reason, the URC have to keep tv companies happy (a lot of them too given the number involved with the league) they also then have to set when a host country can have the game for example South Africa is 2 hours ahead of UK so you cant have the game at 7pm our time because then it would be 9pm kick off in SA. We only focus on our own teams and how convenient or inconvenient it is to us but URC have to focus on the whole picture and it's not nearly as easy as people think.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 26 Nov 2022, 11:29 am

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Ulster 36 - 15 Zebre
Ulster in fine form and in good position to make a statement win for the season next week. That Carter yellow was so stupid, what was the lad thinking (though he probably wasn't thinking).

He's been so poor since he showed up for Ulster and yeah my guess is he wasn' thinking at all.

Definitely going to need to be a lot better v Leinster next week, quite weak in defence last night so they will need to tighten that up.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 26 Nov 2022, 1:02 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:

5pm kick off.

Absolute garbage league.

See my above too.

But I do find rugbyfan100 thoughts fascinating. Always a beacon of positivity, brings so much to the forum.

carpet baboon

profitius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Sat 26 Nov 2022, 1:35 pm

5pm kick off this week.

Next week: 11.30am on a Sunday

Absolutely ***ing pathetic.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Sat 26 Nov 2022, 2:47 pm

We’re they trying to get the match completed before the shoehorned Wales test hits the TV?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Sat 26 Nov 2022, 3:00 pm

neilthom7 wrote:
thebandwagonsociety wrote:Ulster 36 - 15 Zebre

He should be arrested for stealing a living as a rugby player. I shake my head in disbelief everytime he is selected. When everyone is available he won't even be near the squad. Absolute waste of an overseas player

Maine man

thebandwagonsociety and neilthom7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Sat 26 Nov 2022, 9:55 pm

Benetton 24
Edinburgh 17
FT
Bulls 43
Ospreys 26
FT
Leinster 40
Glasgow Warriors 5
FT
Munster24
Connacht 17

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Sat 26 Nov 2022, 9:55 pm

Scoreboard flattered Leinster, they need to play much better to do anything this season.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 27 Nov 2022, 7:04 am

carpet baboon wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:

5pm kick off.

Absolute garbage league.

See my above too.

But I do find rugbyfan100 thoughts fascinating. Always a beacon of positivity, brings so much to the forum.

It’s hard to moderate people, when others are being idiots in return. If you read the site rules, you’d probably find you and others actually break them more than RF100 does. Not everything has to be sunshine and rainbows.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 27 Nov 2022, 4:25 pm

Need to watch a few games when I get back, with interest. Dragons did moderately okay it would seem but I need to check. Either way we need to improve so that Stormers don’t run rings around us.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun 27 Nov 2022, 5:20 pm

Cardiff 23-0 up away to the Sharks at halftime. I really fear for the sporting mental health of Wales as a nation if they f*ck this one up.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sun 27 Nov 2022, 6:08 pm

Jesus. The sharks Cardiff game. That is some score,

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sun 27 Nov 2022, 7:14 pm

Great result for Cardiff in South Africa, would not want to be Sharks next opponent, they will be seething after getting so comprehensively beaten at home and their internationals will likely be back, a bad combination.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 27 Nov 2022, 8:05 pm

Well done Cardiff, absolutely smashed them. Where is all this Bok depth we are always hearing about?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Sun 27 Nov 2022, 11:04 pm

Good on Cardiff, earning some respect in SA

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 27 Nov 2022, 11:54 pm

Yeah not sure how Cardiff pulled that off with those lock forwards, but it’s absolutely brilliant.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 28 Nov 2022, 1:34 pm

Think both the Treviso and Cardiff results were pretty great results.

Dragons at times looked ok. Hard to gage really as Lions have knocked some good sides over and that was away. Lions I would imagine will provide a tough challenge. They always seem to front up and make sides really work hard for the wins.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 28 Nov 2022, 2:56 pm

What I did find interesting is that Ulster lowered ticket prices for the Zebre match.

It does amaze me given the state of regional rugby they are still trying to charge premium match prices for one off matches at Scarlets, Cardiff, Ospreys & Dragons.

Scarlets match day tickets ranging from £31 to £15 for the cheap seats.
Cardiff are charging £36 to £23 for the cheap seats.
Ospreys £35 to £18 for the cheap seats.
Dragons £28 to £15 for the cheap seats.

Most sports teams create demand before starting to ratchet up the price. I think this plays a big part in what causes low attendances. The regions could learn something from Ulster by actually looking some of their B category games and lowering at least the cheap seats to something like £5 to £10 ranges. If you can get just some of the locals or students involved you could see a major uptick in terms of attendances. That in turn I think would create better atmospheres and more likely to help the home sides win.

I just think this shows another area where I think regional rugby has got it horribly wrong.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Mon 28 Nov 2022, 3:59 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:What I did find interesting is that Ulster lowered ticket prices for the Zebre match.

It does amaze me given the state of regional rugby they are still trying to charge premium match prices for one off matches at Scarlets, Cardiff, Ospreys & Dragons.

Scarlets match day tickets ranging from £31 to £15 for the cheap seats.
Cardiff are charging £36 to £23 for the cheap seats.
Ospreys £35 to £18 for the cheap seats.
Dragons £28 to £15 for the cheap seats.

Most sports teams create demand before starting to ratchet up the price.   I think this plays a big part in what causes low attendances.  The regions could learn something from Ulster by actually looking some of their B category games and lowering at least the cheap seats to something like £5 to £10 ranges.  If you can get just some of the locals or students involved you could see a major uptick in terms of attendances.  That in turn I think would create better atmospheres and more likely to help the home sides win.  

I just think this shows another area where I think regional rugby has got it horribly wrong.

All similar prices for the 4. For a reason.......if they offered £5 or £10 tickets to every game, everyone would buy those tickets. Nobody would buy season tickets, and nobody would the mid range tickets.

The supporter base isn't big enough to retain most of those that buy tickets and season tickets, plus another thousand or two paying £5 or £10. People would literally swap over to the £5 tickets and the clubs would lose out on revenue big time. It would be financial suicide.

It's a similar economic theory as to why the WRU choose to keep Wales tickets at £120 and have 10,000 empty seats instead of charging £50.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down