The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cherif Traore calls out racist "joke"

+10
RDW
BigGee
No 7&1/2
Heaf
yappysnap
BamBam
Hazel Sapling
doctor_grey
formerly known as Sam
bsando
14 posters

Go down

Cherif Traore calls out racist "joke" Empty Cherif Traore calls out racist "joke"

Post by bsando Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:05 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64058150

Shocking incident but great that Trarore went public about it. It sounds like he very nearly didn't.

Racism in rugby is very much a thing sadly so I hope the players and club can learn from this incident and more importantly apologise to their teammate.

22/12/2022 Update

Benetton second social media response to racist incident by teammates.

https://twitter.com/BenettonRugby/status/1605646504542162945?s=20&t=oi9K4PMpKT4Oa4SC54hS7g

URC Response to Benetton Rugby

https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/news/urc-statement-on-benetton-rugby

Last edited by bsando on Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Cherif Traore calls out racist "joke" Empty Re: Cherif Traore calls out racist "joke"

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:39 pm

That counts as a joke does it? Complete racist BS and I'm glad he's called them out on it. Disgusting.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Cherif Traore calls out racist "joke" Empty Re: Cherif Traore calls out racist "joke"

Post by doctor_grey Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:23 pm

This is totally unacceptable. Takes courage to public. The team must do something.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:46 pm

Horrible. If they can identify the culprit, it should be an internal ban for the rest of the season (with appropriate charity requirements) or contract terminated

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:10 pm

One of the "anti woke" warriors will be along in a minute to say it's all just fine and dandy

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:07 pm

#rugbyvalues eh?

The culprit should be dropped from the matchday squad, fined and made to apologise publicly. Maybe that'll help him think about his actions a little. I hope the rest of the "team mates" all feel suitably ashamed of themselves for laughing along with it too. Doesn't promote the culture of the club too well.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:23 am

I really struggle to understand the mentality of the morons that do this type of sh*t ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:04 am

Ffs.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:38 am

The whole squad hsve apologised to him and he has accepted it.

It seems he is a bigger and better man than many of them. I don't want to tarnish the whole squad as he did say some of the players stuck up for him.

A horrible horrible incident and at the very least, i hope those responsible take some learning from it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:13 am

Just to note there's been previous incidents too he hasn't spoken up about. its the reason people need to speak out when crap like this happens, not just leave it to the victims. Its more common than people want to believe. Remember the Marler incident with Lee, its a joke all his teammates do it. He laughs along etc.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:28 am

Feck me Treviso have made an absolute shambles of this. Getting Traore to release a public statement and even do a bloody video saying he forgives them?? Wtf?

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:49 am

Did someone say 'anti-woke'. I would say I go under that banner... and this saddens and confuses me.
Pretty much because I have personally never seen this type of racism in my life and so it blows my mind that it can still happen, and so brazenly.

What is arguably most concerning here is not only that a singular person was racist, but that that singular person felt he was in an environment that would 'enjoy' this public 'joke'.
And sadly, it sounds like he read the environment well as it's reported most of the room laughed.

I would find difficulty in a singular person being disciplined, while a room full of laughing idiots are allowed to escape any ridicule.

It sounds like it's a whole culture there. Which, as I said, blows my mind because I simply cannot fathom this happening in any of the social circles I run in.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:36 am

RDW wrote:Feck me Treviso have made an absolute shambles of this. Getting Traore to release a public statement and even do a bloody video saying he forgives them?? Wtf?

Yeah, they have handled this badly. Obviously the incident itself is disgraceful, but making him do that is a very bad look too.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:54 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/dec/22/rugby-union-benetton-ordered-investigate-racial-abuse-cherif-traore-amid-outcry

Thankfully the URC seem to be taking it a bit more seriously than Benetton were!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:01 pm

Really nice counter-point from the NFL and reported - shock - in the Dauly Mail. The underdog NFL player makes the pro bowl, the NFL all-star game. Here is how his coach told him and how the player and teammates responded. Just watch the video, it ain't long. Something like this, at least for today, holds back the tide of my ever lowering expectations for our species.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-11566263/Commanders-safety-Jeremy-Reaves-breaks-told-selected-Pro-Bowl.html

doctor_grey

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:16 pm

Someone (unnamed) has now been suspended by Benetton.

Whatever cloudcuckoolandesque idea that they could just air brush over this has been put to bed now and we should get to hear the full story now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:18 am

BamBam wrote:One of the "anti woke" warriors will be along in a minute to say it's all just fine and dandy

Is that directed at me??

Sorry to disappoint you but that was a pretty horrendous "joke" ....disgusting.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:21 am

clivemcl wrote:Did someone say 'anti-woke'. I would say I go under that banner... and this saddens and confuses me.
Pretty much because I have personally never seen this type of racism in my life and so it blows my mind that it can still happen, and so brazenly.

What is arguably most concerning here is not only that a singular person was racist, but that that singular person felt he was in an environment that would 'enjoy' this public 'joke'.
And sadly, it sounds like he read the environment well as it's reported most of the room laughed.

I would find difficulty in a singular person being disciplined, while a room full of laughing idiots are allowed to escape any ridicule.

It sounds like it's a whole culture there. Which, as I said, blows my mind because I simply cannot fathom this happening in any of the social circles I run in.

There is still a vast part of of most European countries where racism is rife. Britain get called a racist country but in my opinion its not nearly as bad as many of the countries over there.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:44 pm

BamBam wrote:One of the "anti woke" warriors will be along in a minute to say it's all just fine and dandy

Being anti woke is anti 'virtue signalling', 'forced messaging' and 'hashtag bullying' etc.
Being anti woke does not mean you're OK with racist a-holes. I'm anti-woke I can assure you but I hold racists in utter contempt.

Pete330v2

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:04 pm

Just to help people the definition of woke is being aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice). If you're anti that it means you actively ignore those things.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:18 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Just to help people the definition of woke is being aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice). If you're anti that it means you actively ignore those things.

Unfortunately the dictionary definition of woke is no longer applicable now due to it's inappropriate use by the very people actively promoting it. Words and the actions attributed to them evolve and unfortunately being woke isn't what it first was. I've always been strongly aware of societal issues that adversely effect people but I would distance myself from the 'wokery' that has infested every aspect of our lives and adversely effected many more people.

Anyway, lets remember what this thread's about, it's not wokery, it's about active racism that's being enabled by certain societies, in this case Italian, a country that has always actively ignored the issue.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:53 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Just to help people the definition of woke is being aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice). If you're anti that it means you actively ignore those things.

Unfortunately the dictionary definition of woke is no longer applicable now due to it's inappropriate use by the very people actively promoting it. Words and the actions attributed to them evolve and unfortunately being woke isn't what it first was. I've always been strongly aware of societal issues that adversely effect people but I would distance myself from the 'wokery' that has infested every aspect of our lives and adversely effected many more people.

Anyway, lets remember what this thread's about, it's not wokery, it's about active racism that's being enabled by certain societies, in this case Italian, a country that has always actively ignored the issue.

Ah. So you're just using a different definition. Got you. So presumably you'd be happy to define yourself as woke by the definition above.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:09 pm

I think Pete was right when he said let's keep the thread to the subject in hand and not derail it by arguing about what is or what is not woke. Everyone has there own opinions about this and they are never going to agree with someone else's

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:20 pm

I thought it was on the subject tbh. Proudly woke. Proudly an anti racist. But OK.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:12 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I thought it was on the subject tbh. Proudly woke. Proudly an anti racist. But OK.

I'm not sure I'm proudly anti racist, should you be proud of something that only comes naturally? If so then as am I but I am not a part of the current 'woke' narrative.
Anyway, fingers crossed the culprit in this loses his career. No mercy

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:29 pm

Woke unfortunately means something different depending on the type of newspaper you read. It was been twisted over time by those that deplore political correctness and that has filtered back through the media in different ratios so it's not a clear term.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:39 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Woke unfortunately means something different depending on the type of newspaper you read. It was been twisted over time by those that deplore political correctness and that has filtered back through the media in different ratios so it's not a clear term.

Precisely why i said to move on from a discussion about what woke means!

If anyone wants to put that up as a standalone topic, you are very welcome

It is not what this thread is about!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:37 pm

Nemer named as the racist in this instance.

Ivan Nemer: Benetton Treviso suspend Italy prop after rotten banana incident - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64432631

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:25 am

Suspended not sacked. Absolute jokers.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:54 pm

My take on the 'woke' movement is that they are often overly angry and in some cases non-inclusive themselves. They tend to be very absolute.

Usually somebody who believes strongly in a moral code will want everyone to be persuaded towards like-mindedness and agreement with their moral code.

Unfortunately the 'woke' crowd often seem to wish ill fate and severe punishment rather than rehabiliation or education. Rarely are second chances given.

Of course, this only applies in some instances. There is seemingly a hierarchy of wrong doing, dependant upon the background of the wrongdoer.

Some people from certain backgrounds are afforded many generational excuses, and are victims of the past, void of total personal responsibility.

And then in cases such as this one, there is very little interest or care that Nemer may have learned from his actions or changed his mindset. Also, the possibility that Traore may have offered forgiveness is unlikely to change the judgement and condemnation from those scouring the news for stories of dispicable, shameful horror they then hurry to voice their outrage over to anyone who may listen and agree.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:11 pm

Hey if we're not allowed to be anti racist, we shouldn't really be allowed to be pro racist on this website. Let's leave this anti woke stuff out of rugby.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:04 pm

clivemcl wrote:My take on the 'woke' movement is that they are often overly angry and in some cases non-inclusive themselves. They tend to be very absolute.

Usually somebody who believes strongly in a moral code will want everyone to be persuaded towards like-mindedness and agreement with their moral code.

Unfortunately the 'woke' crowd often seem to wish ill fate and severe punishment rather than rehabiliation or education. Rarely are second chances given.
To me, all this woke stuff - and a lot the 'anti' crowd- are nothing more than the age old true believers. And true believers clashing with other true believers. True believers of whatever point of view, religion, race, way of life, and so on. I really can't recall any time in human history when the species was better off for the strident, unyielding, unquestioning, true believers. And they make so much noise ranting about their beliefs.

Which leaves a lot of room for good (or not so good) discussion, disagreement, and debate amongst the not-so-righteous.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:30 pm

Let’s be honest. As soon as somebody chucks the woke out, they’re generally trying to justify their bad behaviour

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down