The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing in 2023

4 posters

Go down

Boxing in 2023 Empty Boxing in 2023

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 24 Jan 2023, 8:44 pm

I know boxing has served up very little in the way of quality matchups at the highest level lately, but along with Davis-Garcia in the Spring we do appear to be on the verge of another exciting announcement as Stephen Fulton will reportedly be travelling to Japan to defend his Super-Bantamweight titles against Noaya Inoue.

I mentioned last year that this was one fight I'd love to see Inoue taking. If you believe the figures being bandied about, Fulton will earn around $3 million for this defence, which might explain why he's travelling despite being the defending champion - but good on him! Fair play to Inoue as well for going straight for the (probable on balance) top man at 122 as he looks to conquer yet another weight class having sewn up all the belts at Bantam.

As a career 122-pounder Fulton is probably the biggest guy Inoue will have fought, but he also brings a superb engine to the table along with a good array of shots and the ability to string them together proficiently. He's good on the inside, can work the high-low and shorten the punches and, although he's not a big hitter, he doesn't waste much as he's aggressive with what he does throw.

That said, he gets hit a hell of a lot and isn't that effective at range, which is going to be a huge problem for him here assuming Inoue's power and timing isn't suddenly blunted at Super-Bantam. Fulton was buzzed once or twice against Figueroa and showed he's tough and can take / regroup from a big shot, but taking shots from Figueroa and taking them from Inoue are two very different things.

Still, if they can get this over the line it will be a proper fight between two high-performing and peak world champions to look forward to.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Boxing in 2023 Empty Re: Boxing in 2023

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 28 Jan 2023, 12:24 pm

British trainer of the decade for Tunde if the London Nigerian can pull this one off

Boxing is unpredictable as we saw last week but it would defy the laws of physics surely if this one makes it to the cards

Non boxing related but Rip Tyre Nichols may those vile yellow bellies never walk free on God’s green earth again, ever

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 28 Jan 2023, 1:48 pm

I think Yarde's hope is that he can get Beterbiev early tonight. But I just see another typical Beterbiev performance and win - basically a torturous, prolonged mugging. I don't think Yarde will fold as early as Smith, and you never know, Father Time might come a'knocking for Beterbiev, but I don't think it'll be tonight. Just think he's a class above Yarde.

We've got some decent domestic showdowns between Yarde, Buatsi and Smith which could come to fruition in the next couple of years, and they should collide at some stage. Be nice if there were any world titles on the line, but not an easy division to pick up a belt in at the moment.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Inventing Johnson Klute Sat 28 Jan 2023, 11:00 pm

Anyone watching Beterbiev v Yarde. 3 rounds in and Betwebievs power is just starting to show, but at this stage of his career, its clear Beterbiev can't throw when backpeddling anymore. Yards just needs to stay on the front foot.

Inventing Johnson Klute

Back to top Go down

Post by Inventing Johnson Klute Sat 28 Jan 2023, 11:10 pm

Great fight so far, you could argue Beterbiev has won every round thorugh 6, but at the same time it's a close fight...

Inventing Johnson Klute

Back to top Go down

Post by Inventing Johnson Klute Sat 28 Jan 2023, 11:13 pm

Has someone never taught Yarde how to grab and hold...

Inventing Johnson Klute

Back to top Go down

Post by Inventing Johnson Klute Sat 28 Jan 2023, 11:19 pm

Great fight, Beterviev just a step in front for most of the fight, but Yarde was always on the verge of taking the fight away from him, right up until the stoppage. Buatsi must fancy Beterbiev on that performance coz he looks like he can't fight going backwards anymore coz he ain't quite got the legs at 38

Inventing Johnson Klute

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 28 Jan 2023, 11:31 pm

Yarde did pretty well, he was always in it albeit losing most of the rounds for me. For the first time, maybe, just maybe, Beterbiev was starting to look his age. He fights at a measured pace anyway, but got the impression he was looking to fight in spurts more here and he did lose his shape once or twice in the middle rounds. But he's resilient and and very cool under pressure, which Yarde wasn't when it started getting put on him.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Inventing Johnson Klute likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 29 Jan 2023, 11:02 am

The Chechen KO artist looks like age is catching up with him. Power is power but Bivol would take him to school.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 29 Jan 2023, 12:07 pm

Think I'd go with Bivol to win a decision, but I wouldn't necessarily rule Beterbiev out, Jeff. 2022 was Bivol's year but he's had the odd flat and uninspiring display before that. And while he dominated pretty much throughout, I am still mindful that on the one occasion that Smith did get to Bivol with a big shot, Bivol was clearly hurt and a bit fortunate that the bell went at that moment. If (I know, I know, ifs buts and maybes are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but indulge me!) Smith had another twenty seconds or so in the round to follow up, who knows how the landscape of the division might look now?

Anyway, Bivol's representatives have said that's the fight they want in 2023, more than a Canelo rematch, so touch wood we'll see it. Possibly the best defence in the sport against one of the best offenses with all the belts on the line.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Yesterday at 3:42 pm

Emanuel Navarette stopped Liam Wilson in the 9th round to win the vacant WBO super featherweight title. Navarette was dropped in the fourth round but fought back to become a three division champion.
The Cowboy must decide whether he will retain featherweight or super featherweight title.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down