The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond.

+41
TAFKA The Oracle
Mr Fishpaste
glaws
BigGee
Collapse2005
Duty281
Barney McGrew did it
WELL-PAST-IT
Sharkey06
BamBam
hugehandoff
sensisball
propdavid_london
Rinsure
Cumbrian
BigTrevsbigmac
Recwatcher16
king_carlos
dummy_half
funnyExiledScot
yappysnap
Yoda
cb
Oakdene
Mr Bounce
doctor_grey
Heaf
TJ
tigertattie
Margin_Walker
geoff999rugby
majesticimperialman
Poorfour
lostinwales
Rugby Fan
mountain man
formerly known as Sam
Geordie
No 7&1/2
eirebilly_01
Sgt_Pooly
45 posters

Page 9 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond. - Page 9 Empty England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond.

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 13 Feb 2023, 6:16 am

First topic message reminder :

Continued.......

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond. - Page 9 Empty Re: England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond.

Post by Poorfour Mon 06 Mar 2023, 10:11 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I would have him over Willis in a heartbeat, a good step up in quality.

I think Curry is probably better than Willis overall, but the Ludlam/Willis/Dombrandt combination has a balance to it that England have stuggled to find. We'll see against France. T Curry would definitely be it the XXIII when fit - but I am not sure at the moment that he would make the starting lineup for me. Rugby is a game based on combinations and Curry has to show that he's part of a better combination than the one we currently have.

In other news, Rugby Tonight did a stats comparison of the three flyhalves based on their Premiership performances this year (last year in the case of Ford, because he's played so little). What surprised me was that Ford and Farrell both have current kicking percentages in the 70s (vs low 90s for Smith), and weren't noticeably ahead in open play.

Mind you, Dallaglio was claiming that Borthwick needed to play Smith, in part based on his try scoring record in internationals (which in fairness puts many wingers to shame). By my usual metric, which is that anything Dayglo says is inevitably wrong, Smith should never play for England again.
Poorfour
Poorfour

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond. - Page 9 Empty Re: England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond.

Post by Poorfour Mon 06 Mar 2023, 10:16 am

Geordie wrote:I noticed that Itoje has confimed hes being asked to play a different role at the moment...hence why his performances look to have reduced a bit.

Hes hitting more rucks and doing more of the workhorse style stuff that maybe Kruis used to do. Is that because we dont have a Kruis replacement?

Be interesting to see how the lock partnership develops.

I think Itoje has been playing much better with Chessum alongside him than with Hill. Less flashy, maybe, but he's been making fewer of the silly mistakes that creep in when he's trying to do too much.

I suspect Curry may have been in a similar place - when really good players feel the gaps around them they are tempted to try to solve them for themselves and overreach. The last few games he's played the back row has felt a bit unbalanced and I think he was trying to do too much. Arguably Smith has been in a similar position, trying to force things when he hasn't had the options around him.
Poorfour
Poorfour

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 06 Mar 2023, 10:51 am

The best backrow we have includes both J Willis and T Curry for me. Dombrandt is the 3rd in that at present.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 06 Mar 2023, 11:12 am

Poorfour wrote:
Geordie wrote:I noticed that Itoje has confimed hes being asked to play a different role at the moment...hence why his performances look to have reduced a bit.

Hes hitting more rucks and doing more of the workhorse style stuff that maybe Kruis used to do. Is that because we dont have a Kruis replacement?

I think Itoje has been playing much better with Chessum alongside him than with Hill. Less flashy, maybe, but he's been making fewer of the silly mistakes that creep in when he's trying to do too much.

I suspect Curry may have been in a similar place - when really good players feel the gaps around them they are tempted to try to solve them for themselves and overreach. The last few games he's played the back row has felt a bit unbalanced and I think he was trying to do too much. Arguably Smith has been in a similar position, trying to force things when he hasn't had the options around him.

Agree with this.....I felt at times it looked Itoje and Curry had the weight of the world on their shoulders carrying a struggling side.

Borthwick seems to have brought more clarity and Curry is a known top top class player. I wouldn't be adverse to any of the potential combo's when all clicking...

6. Ludlam/Lawes
7. Curry/Underhill
8. Dombrandt

Nice balance and some outstanding options with Willis etc pushing for spots too.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 06 Mar 2023, 4:13 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Poorfour wrote:

Agree with this.....I felt at times it looked Itoje and Curry had the weight of the world on their shoulders carrying a struggling side.

Borthwick seems to have brought more clarity and Curry is a known top top class player. I wouldn't be adverse to any of the potential combo's when all clicking...

6. Ludlam/Lawes
7. Curry/Underhill
8. Dombrandt

Nice balance and some outstanding options with Willis etc pushing for spots too.

Underhill injured again at the weekend. With him, Manu and Barbeary I wouldn't be building anything with them in mind. If they're fit then have a look at where they are but otherwise best off just leaving them out the conversation.

formerly known as Sam

Poorfour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 06 Mar 2023, 4:43 pm

Underhill's style of play is very abrasive and was always likely to reach a point where the impact on his body caught up with him. He seems to have been on and off the treatment table a lot since 2019.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 06 Mar 2023, 5:53 pm

A touch harsh to add Barbeary into that bracket IMO. The hamstring tear early this season is his first recurrence of an injury to my knowledge as he also tore that hammy in 2021. Other significant injuries were the ankle injury in 2020 and this knee injury which were both due to nasty collisions rather than a recurrence of one problem.

18 apps last season in his first full season as a back row with very nearly 1200 minutes played is a good return for someone who was 21 at the start of that season and changing positions.

Underhill is a different story given that's yet another HIA he's gone off with. Such a shame as he's a brilliant player at his peak. Few can consistently dominate tackles against international attacks like Underhill. It's easy to forget he's the same age as Jack Willis as well.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 06 Mar 2023, 11:57 pm

We do have a close to direct Kruis replacement in Ribbans.  Not saying he is Kruis in his prime, but the closest we have that is in or close to the squad.  He loves the same donkey work that Kruis did very well.  I don't think Itoje has the same meat on his bones to do that kind of work consistently.  He does so much very well (despite current dip in form) but endless ruck pounding is not one of them.

Ribbans does a lot of the same work that Jonny Hill does (or, hopefully, did) for England, but smarter, more effective, and with better hair.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 07 Mar 2023, 7:40 am

doctor_grey wrote:

We do have a close to direct Kruis replacement in Ribbans.  Not saying he is Kruis in his prime, but the closest we have that is in or close to the squad.  He loves the same donkey work that Kruis did very well.  I don't think Itoje has the same meat on his bones to do that kind of work consistently.  He does so much very well (despite current dip in form) but endless ruck pounding is not one of them.

Ribbans does a lot of the same work that Jonny Hill does (or, hopefully, did) for England, but smarter, more effective, and with better hair.

Both locks seem very busy, maybe they prefer Chessum to carry or with Genge and Sinckler carrying so much they just need the other forwards to pitch in with the graft. There was a stay from I think the Scotland game where Itoje hit 40 rucks. That's a good effort.

I'm not sure Ribbans is going to get much of a look in before he becomes ineligible. The Itoje/Chessum combination seems to work and Lawes on the bench is more versatile.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 07 Mar 2023, 8:17 am

Chessum has done really well since coming in. Can't help but feel that Ribbans like Mitchell should be sat on a whole load more caps though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 07 Mar 2023, 9:00 am

At least Mitchell getting a chance and has showed in the small amount of time he's had on pitch he's got what it takes. Quirke fit and playing again so he might get back into reckoning as well.

Chessum playing to the manor born, rather like Steward at 15 he has look he could be in team for years.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 07 Mar 2023, 9:31 am

So it would appear Mr Borthwick is pushing to have players abroad available for selection.

Could have big implications for the clubs etc...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 07 Mar 2023, 9:50 am

Geordie wrote:So it would appear Mr Borthwick is pushing to have players abroad available for selection.

Could have big implications for the clubs etc...

Can understand this, at least as a stop gap measure while the clubs get their finances sorted out. With the demise of Wuss and Wasps, there are too many top flight players chasing not enough club spots, and I assume there are several of the clubs who are having to be careful with their money in the short to medium term, until the losses from the Covid-disrupted season or so are paid back.

I think the idea of a 2 or 3 year suspension of the rule, and then take a look t the situation again - will ENglish rugby be back in a position where all the top players can make their living in England? Professional rugby players have a short career, so I don't blame any of them for going to France for a better pay day than they can currently get in England.

dummy_half

Poorfour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 07 Mar 2023, 9:52 am

mountain man wrote:At least Mitchell getting a chance and has showed in the small amount of time he's had on pitch he's got what it takes. Quirke fit and playing again so he might get back into reckoning as well.

Chessum playing to the manor born, rather like Steward at 15 he has look he could be in team for years.
Agree, at least Mitchell has had a few looks in. I thought Ribbans would have done a pretty effective job selling what he can do in the All Blacks match.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 07 Mar 2023, 11:09 am

I wonder what SB isn't quite seeing in Ribbans as he looked great in his brief time in an England shirt?

Something has to give on the foreign policy, I'm sure this will be resolved to some level post WC.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 07 Mar 2023, 11:32 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I wonder what SB isn't quite seeing in Ribbans as he looked great in his brief time in an England shirt?

Something has to give on the foreign policy, I'm sure this will be resolved to some level post WC.

Possibly more to do with what he is seeing with the Itoje/ Chiessum combo

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 07 Mar 2023, 12:36 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:I wonder what SB isn't quite seeing in Ribbans as he looked great in his brief time in an England shirt?

Possibly more to do with what he is seeing with the Itoje/ Chiessum combo

I'd agree. Ribbans has done little wrong in his appearances, but Itoje and Chessum look like they are gelling very nicely.

I think Tizard is the closest to a direct replacement for Kruis - Sarries clearly hired him specifically for that role and he seems to have become Itoje's default club partner very rapidly despite Sarries' other lock stocks (19 appearances so far this season) - but he's clearly some way down the international pecking order at the moment.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 07 Mar 2023, 1:29 pm

I'm not suggesting breaking up that combination....he's not even made the bench.

Seen Tizard a few times for Sarries and I don't think he's ready to be in the conversation.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 07 Mar 2023, 3:08 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I'm not suggesting breaking up that combination....he's not even made the bench.

I don't think Ribbans will make the bench unless England go 6:2 (which might be an option Vs France). Borthwick has opted for a hybrid option in the 19 shirt that's come on in the backrow so far. Might be an ask for Chessum to do 50/60 mins of the game at lock and then the final 20 at blindside.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 07 Mar 2023, 4:26 pm

Lawes is out of France match.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64864675

Shame as he is ideal bench to cover 2nd and back row.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 07 Mar 2023, 4:29 pm

When does Lawes drop into the tuilagi barbeary etc band of injured players we ignore then?

Speaking of which Tulagi makes the cut. Ford doesn't. Looks like we have Malins yet again too.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 07 Mar 2023, 4:31 pm

Manu banned though so think he's there for Lawrence and Slade to practise tackling for Bundee Aki.

Are you surprised Malins is in? He deserves to play.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 07 Mar 2023, 4:31 pm

I really rate Tizard and would probably pick him just over Ribbans. Though I rate Ribbans too and have championed him in the past.

That said Isiekwe really impressed me in the Six Nations run in. Straight after the AIs I was really keen to see Tizard fast tracked but I saw Isiekwe 3 weekends in a row, just by coincidence as they were games I happened to watch anyway, and he really stood out for me. I also thought he was strong from the bench to be fair prior to Lawes returning. So I'd probably pick Isiekwe ahead of Tizard or Ribbans now.

I knew how talented Chessum was from watching him extensively with Tigers. Few are so naturally talented lineout jumpers in attack and defence. He gets up in the air so quickly, has great hands in the air and often calls the lineout which is rarer than some realise at his age. Even so I've been impressed with how he's settled this Six Nations. I thought he looked ideal for a bench spot at this stage but maybe not starting. He's formed a really good partnership with Itoje though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 07 Mar 2023, 4:37 pm

mountain man wrote:Manu banned though so think he's there for Lawrence and Slade to practise tackling for Bundee Aki.

Are you surprised Malins is in? He deserves to play.

Thanks for the reminder on Tuilagi. Not surprised that Malins is there, just disappointed.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 07 Mar 2023, 4:44 pm

mountain man wrote:Manu banned though so think he's there for Lawrence and Slade to practise tackling for Bundee Aki.
A mixture of that and just keeping Manu in the mix with defensive and attacking structures I'd guess. On form I think dropping Manu was the right call and Lawrence's performance has backed that up. If Manu's fit then I'd definitely want him involved in the RWC warmups with the potential of being in the final 33-man squad though.

Given Tuilagi's banned and Lawes is injured it would seem the 23 is fairly straight forward to predict from that squad.

1.Genge 2.George 3.Sinckler 4.Itoje 5.Chessum 6.Ludlam 7.Willis 8.Dombrandt
9.JvP 10.Farrell 11.Malins 12.Lawrence 13.Slade 14.Watson 15.Steward

16.Walker 17.Mako 18.Cole 19.Isiekwe/Ribbans 20.Curry/Earl 21.Mitchell 22.Smith 23.Arundell

I'd guess that is very likely. I'd pick Arundell at 11 with Malins on the bench myself but overall I like the makeup of that side and seeing a bit of continuity.

Sinfield's defence isn't as heavy a blitz as I expected. It's more like the system seen from Tandy with Scotland. Only certain forwards targeting the breakdown a lot of the time, limited defenders in rucks and a less aggressive but very consistent line speed. Very much a defensive strategy built on being able to go through lots of defensive phases without losing shape rather than aiming to win the ball back quickly. France will be an interesting test for the new system.

I've mentioned how England are using Steward, Farrell and Malins interestingly in the backfield together to control kicking battles as well. France are a brilliant kicking side with Dupont, Ntamack and Ramos all brilliant tactical kickers. Again how that new system fares against France will be telling.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 07 Mar 2023, 5:09 pm

Anyone else think there might be a surprise return to the 6:2 bench for one week only?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 07 Mar 2023, 5:59 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Anyone else think there might be a surprise return to the 6:2 bench for one week only?
Given they haven't subbed one lock let alone both so far I'd be pretty surprised myself but you never know!

With France missing both Antonio and Haouas I'd hope the pack can do pretty well at set-piece without changing the entire tight 5 as well. If Falatea starts it will be only his second for France since the 2021 loss to Australia in Brisbane. He's only started 17 club games in 6 seasons as a top flight player too. A good player but very much a bench option for much of his career. Realistically Demba Bamba might be their third choice if fit but I believe he's had a few injuries this season.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 07 Mar 2023, 7:12 pm

king_carlos wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Anyone else think there might be a surprise return to the 6:2 bench for one week only?
Given they haven't subbed one lock let alone both so far I'd be pretty surprised myself but you never know!

I was thinking more that he'd sub one lock, one flanker and Dombrandt. He nearly always a flanker and Dombrandt but against the French maybe a lock as well.

Two missing tightheads and no Woki certainly does limit the French. Is Jelonch fit?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 07 Mar 2023, 7:26 pm

Jelonch picked up a nasty knee injury against Scotland. France have a few really solid flankers though. Cros, Cretin and Macalou waiting in the wings with Ollivon and Aldritt locked in.

Woki is a huge loss as he's one of the most dynamic players in the world. The way he converted to second row seemingly on a whim due to France being stacked in the back row, then was immediately world class in a new position astonishes me. He's one of the most talented defensive lineout jumpers I've seen.

Flament, Willemse and Taofifenau are still a really strong lock trio. Willemse starting does change their balance though. Between Flament, Aldritt and Ollivon they've still got plenty of lineout jumpers but Willemse for Woki basically changes one of the best jumpers in the world for a lock that doesn't jump.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 08 Mar 2023, 12:03 am

Telegraph thinks Smith might start, though plans might be complicated by the availabillity of Lawes to start, and take over the captaincy.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/england-six-nations-sqaud-latest-george-ford-marcus-smith/

Marcus Smith is in serious consideration to start for England in a high-tempo game plan to be unleashed against France at Twickenham on Saturday.

It is understood the Harlequins fly-half is primed for a return to the starting XV in place of Owen Farrell following his man-of-the-match display for his club against Exeter Chiefs last Saturday.

While injury issues, including a fresh set-back to Courtney Lawes, who was expected to captain the side if Farrell was rotated to the bench, forced further selection debate, it is understood that the England management have been highly impressed by Smith’s impact in training since his return from his club.

If Smith starts, Ellis Genge, one of the two vice-captains, is likely to be handed the captaincy for England’s final competitive match at Twickenham before the World Cup in France later this year.

Farrell, however, would be expected to play a significant role off the bench in attempting to manage the second half if he does not start.

Smith was released by Borthwick from the England squad last week with the instruction to seize the No 10 shirt by delivering a commanding display for Harlequins under the watchful eye of the national side’s interim attack coach Nick Evans and did not disappoint.

“I thought Marcus was outstanding,” said Kevin Sinfield, England’s defence coach. “We all did. But he has trained like that over the last six weeks. We've seen first-hand what he's been capable of and he's in the mix this week.

“Selfishly as a coaching team, and Steve in particular, could have kept him in camp but he wanted to do the right thing by Marcus. He cares about the lads and wants to do the best for them. Unfortunately, it can’t always be handled that way because of the make-up of who we need and how we train. But there was an opportunity to get vital minutes into Marcus.”

George Ford, who was called into the squad in place of Smith for the training camp in Brighton, has been released to play for his club Sale Sharks against London Irish in the Premiership on Sunday.

Smith and Farrell started the opening Six Nations defeat by Scotland at fly-half and inside centre respectively but England are unlikely to return to that combination, given the impact Ollie Lawrence has made at inside centre in the victories over Italy and Wales.

Dropping Farrell, whose kicking success rate has only been 47 per cent in the first three rounds of the championship, would undoubtedly represent the biggest call yet of Borthwick’s fledgling tenure as England head coach.

Smith has played a bit-part role since being dropped, including just a 14-second cameo against Wales. And yet there is a feeling that pace will be a key factor in England’s bid to defeat last year’s Grand Slam champions. That could see Smith paired with Jack van Poortvliet, who is set to retain his role at scrum-half ahead of Northampton Saints’ Alex Mitchell.

And while Farrell could only manage two successful kicks out of six against Wales, Smith landed five conversions from six in the 40-5 victory over Exeter.

“It looked like he enjoyed himself, didn't he?” said Farrell. “He played very well, so it’s only good for us. You only had to look at the game to see how much he enjoyed himself and how much of a spring he’ll have in his step coming into camp this week.

“If the whole team was all over the place last week and then you tried to implement an idea, a strategy, you’d be pulling in information from everywhere. It’s not, Marcus has been playing with his club, has played well at the weekend, and I’d say he was up to speed when we got on the training field. I wouldn’t say it’s difficult for him.”

The conundrum sheds a fascinating light on Borthwick’s mindset. What seems certain is that no player, even the captain, is guaranteed his place, with form and strategy the overriding factors taken into account in selection.

England’s game plan has been relatively limited in the opening three rounds as Borthwick focused on improving the side’s setpiece and defence.

Yet with the promise of adding more layers to the attacking game, it seems he is considering fighting fire with fire against the free-flowing French, a prospect that is likely to delight the Twickenham crowd.

The prospect of facing France, ranked second in the World Rugby rankings, followed by the top-ranked side Ireland in Dublin on Saturday week, offers England the chance to prepare for their Six Nations finale as if it were the World Cup knock-out stages in France and Borthwick is renowned for his attention to detail and forward planning.

Lawes, who made his first appearance off the bench against Wales since captaining the side in Australia last summer, has been ruled out of the remainder of the championship with a shoulder injury.

“You are disappointed because he wants to play rugby and you take that away from any player…. Most players can handle being left out of teams or squads or a lack of form but injury is different,” added Sinfield.

“Injury puts you in a different place mentally, if you look across the game over the last 10 years at guys who get a little bit older, I know he is not that old, but he has played that amount of rugby, the amount of minutes he has played you can get into a position when an injury leads to another one and another one and sometimes that is how desperate players are to get back fit but he will be back soon.”

David Ribbans and Nick Isiekwe remain in the squad in Lawes’s absence, while Manu Tuilagi, currently suspended, is thought to have played a key role in testing the England midfield during training.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed 08 Mar 2023, 12:08 am

Except Willemse played at 5 alongside Woki at 4.
Willemse's massive scrummaging power and ball carrying were vital parts of France's physical domination last season.
It's Flament who is playing instead of Woki. A hugely talented lock but without the ridiculous pace of he injured man.
As you said with Flament, Ollivon and Cros as likely starters Willemse's lack of lineout dominance is not as much of an issue.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 08 Mar 2023, 2:34 am

Flament was starting with Woki in their victories over Oz and the Boks in the autumn ahead of Taofifenau when Willemse was injured. Taofifenau being the obvious tactical replacement for Willemse's bulk and a very good lock in his own right. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they returned to Woki and Flament at full strength given their performance in the autumn.

But yes, France are stacked with good option in the second and back row.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 08 Mar 2023, 4:12 am

I seem to recall France having a relatively small pack during the AI's when beating SA in particular.....relative as in they can put out much bigger options if required. They're such a good side currently, it's going to be a real tough encounter.

I'm unsure if things are like this in camp, but the French I socialise with always regard England as their potential banana skin and their toughest opposition in the 6N, no matter how we're playing. It's quite funny listening to them talking about some of our players (Itoje, Farrell etc...) and how high they rate them....especially when we're mostly bashing them each week.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 08 Mar 2023, 8:05 am

Rugby Fan wrote:Telegraph thinks Smith might start, though plans might be complicated by the availabillity of Lawes to start, and take over the captaincy.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/england-six-nations-sqaud-latest-george-ford-marcus-smith/

Marcus Smith is in serious consideration to start for England in a high-tempo game plan to be unleashed against France at Twickenham on Saturday.

It is understood the Harlequins fly-half is primed for a return to the starting XV in place of Owen Farrell following his man-of-the-match display for his club against Exeter Chiefs last Saturday.

While injury issues, including a fresh set-back to Courtney Lawes, who was expected to captain the side if Farrell was rotated to the bench, forced further selection debate, it is understood that the England management have been highly impressed by Smith’s impact in training since his return from his club.

If Smith starts, Ellis Genge, one of the two vice-captains, is likely to be handed the captaincy for England’s final competitive match at Twickenham before the World Cup in France later this year.

Farrell, however, would be expected to play a significant role off the bench in attempting to manage the second half if he does not start.

Smith was released by Borthwick from the England squad last week with the instruction to seize the No 10 shirt by delivering a commanding display for Harlequins under the watchful eye of the national side’s interim attack coach Nick Evans and did not disappoint.

“I thought Marcus was outstanding,” said Kevin Sinfield, England’s defence coach. “We all did. But he has trained like that over the last six weeks. We've seen first-hand what he's been capable of and he's in the mix this week.

“Selfishly as a coaching team, and Steve in particular, could have kept him in camp but he wanted to do the right thing by Marcus. He cares about the lads and wants to do the best for them. Unfortunately, it can’t always be handled that way because of the make-up of who we need and how we train. But there was an opportunity to get vital minutes into Marcus.”

George Ford, who was called into the squad in place of Smith for the training camp in Brighton, has been released to play for his club Sale Sharks against London Irish in the Premiership on Sunday.

Smith and Farrell started the opening Six Nations defeat by Scotland at fly-half and inside centre respectively but England are unlikely to return to that combination, given the impact Ollie Lawrence has made at inside centre in the victories over Italy and Wales.

Dropping Farrell, whose kicking success rate has only been 47 per cent in the first three rounds of the championship, would undoubtedly represent the biggest call yet of Borthwick’s fledgling tenure as England head coach.

Smith has played a bit-part role since being dropped, including just a 14-second cameo against Wales. And yet there is a feeling that pace will be a key factor in England’s bid to defeat last year’s Grand Slam champions. That could see Smith paired with Jack van Poortvliet, who is set to retain his role at scrum-half ahead of Northampton Saints’ Alex Mitchell.

And while Farrell could only manage two successful kicks out of six against Wales, Smith landed five conversions from six in the 40-5 victory over Exeter.

“It looked like he enjoyed himself, didn't he?” said Farrell. “He played very well, so it’s only good for us. You only had to look at the game to see how much he enjoyed himself and how much of a spring he’ll have in his step coming into camp this week.

“If the whole team was all over the place last week and then you tried to implement an idea, a strategy, you’d be pulling in information from everywhere. It’s not, Marcus has been playing with his club, has played well at the weekend, and I’d say he was up to speed when we got on the training field. I wouldn’t say it’s difficult for him.”

The conundrum sheds a fascinating light on Borthwick’s mindset. What seems certain is that no player, even the captain, is guaranteed his place, with form and strategy the overriding factors taken into account in selection.

England’s game plan has been relatively limited in the opening three rounds as Borthwick focused on improving the side’s setpiece and defence.

Yet with the promise of adding more layers to the attacking game, it seems he is considering fighting fire with fire against the free-flowing French, a prospect that is likely to delight the Twickenham crowd.

The prospect of facing France, ranked second in the World Rugby rankings, followed by the top-ranked side Ireland in Dublin on Saturday week, offers England the chance to prepare for their Six Nations finale as if it were the World Cup knock-out stages in France and Borthwick is renowned for his attention to detail and forward planning.

Lawes, who made his first appearance off the bench against Wales since captaining the side in Australia last summer, has been ruled out of the remainder of the championship with a shoulder injury.

“You are disappointed because he wants to play rugby and you take that away from any player…. Most players can handle being left out of teams or squads or a lack of form but injury is different,” added Sinfield.

“Injury puts you in a different place mentally, if you look across the game over the last 10 years at guys who get a little bit older, I know he is not that old, but he has played that amount of rugby, the amount of minutes he has played you can get into a position when an injury leads to another one and another one and sometimes that is how desperate players are to get back fit but he will be back soon.”

David Ribbans and Nick Isiekwe remain in the squad in Lawes’s absence, while Manu Tuilagi, currently suspended, is thought to have played a key role in testing the England midfield during training.

It's an interesting twist on the normal England fly half narrative. Normally it's the swashbuckling, maverick creator vs the steady eddy nuts and bolts machine. This time the machine is being criticised for the basics of kicking and tackling while looking pretty decent with ball in hand creation and the maverick is not creating tries every time he touches the ball, but all the fundamentals are there. Interesting choice but I can't get away from you can't have a kicker in your team with 40 odd % conversion.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 08 Mar 2023, 9:31 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
It's an interesting twist on the normal England fly half narrative. Normally it's the swashbuckling, maverick creator vs the steady eddy nuts and bolts machine. This time the machine is being criticised for the basics of kicking and tackling while looking pretty decent with ball in hand creation and the maverick is not creating tries every time he touches the ball, but all the fundamentals are there. Interesting choice but I can't get away from you can't have a kicker in your team with 40 odd % conversion.

I can't recall Farrell being overly criticised for his tackling this 6N....if anything, his defence has been superb. On the attack front (not Italy) we have 6 tries in 2 games......compared to the disappointing 3 tries in 4 games with Smith at 10 last year.

You can't argue with the kicking stats though, Farrell has been very poor.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 08 Mar 2023, 9:37 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

I can't recall Farrell being overly criticised for his tackling this 6N....if anything, his defence has been superb. On the attack front (not Italy) we have 6 tries in 2 games......compared to the disappointing 3 tries in 4 games with Smith at 10 last year.

How much is Lawrences influence in there....having an actual proactive strike running 12 as opposed to Farrell...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 08 Mar 2023, 9:40 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Perhaps not here lately, but just search Farrell no arms, high etc and you'll see, also had a bit of a mare vs Scotland at 12 along with Marchant. And yes the Jones unstructured attack really was frankly poor, and a big reason why I'm in no rush to see Slade at 12 again!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 08 Mar 2023, 9:41 am

Geordie wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

How much is Lawrences influence in there....having an actual proactive strike running 12 as opposed to Farrell...

Balance anywhere is key really. Lawrence has been a big plus, the Salde Marchant midfield looked a bit 1 note, pretty good in defence last year, pretty poor in attack.

No 7&1/2

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 08 Mar 2023, 9:42 am

Geordie wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Farrell didn't play any games at 12 last 6N, he was out injured.

I'm not aiming this it you GF, but as soon as something negative is suggested about Smith (in this case our lack of tries), people tend to jump to his defence stating it's not really his fault.....usually with the Farrell at 12 thing. Smith has not produced in an England shirt, that's the bread and butter of it.....he's not been good enough.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 08 Mar 2023, 9:50 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Geordie wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Farrell didn't play any games at 12 last 6N, he was out injured.

I'm not aiming this it you GF, but as soon as something negative is suggested about Smith (in this case our lack of tries), people tend to jump to his defence stating it's not really his fault.....usually with the Farrell at 12 thing. Smith has not produced in an England shirt, that's the bread and butter of it.....he's not been good enough.

Indeed. Slade did. From a midfield perspective would you be happy with farrell lining up with Slade Marchant vs France? Personally I don't think that has a lot of balance, Slade looks really rushed.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 08 Mar 2023, 9:54 am

I don't buy into this, a top 10 adapts to what he has.

Our most productive 10/12/13 over the years was Ford/Farrell/JJ.......

Smith has 20 caps, he needs to start producing. None of this....he needs this from a 12....he needs this from a 9. He needs to play better with what he has. I would love Smith to produce his Quins for England, but he hasn't so far.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 08 Mar 2023, 10:02 am

That's fine. So Slade, Marchant a realistic option going forward. Smith's looked really good in flashes, top points scorer in the 6Ns last year despite the rigor mortis of Jones setting in. Personally I'd like to see Lawrence continue in midfield, he really brings that physical running threat we last had with Manu, and what we've lacked since probably 2017 consistently with Joseph (although obviously more footwork than bash).

I hope Smith gets a start with Lawrence this weekend, and then gets that run of games.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 08 Mar 2023, 10:03 am

If he does get a start, I hope he produces. We can't continue finding excuses for the lad.....

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 08 Mar 2023, 10:08 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:If he does get a start, I hope he produces. We can't continue finding excuses for the lad.....

He's produced already for me, but I suppose it's what exactly you're looking for. A good example is the last game. Comes on with 15 seconds to go, gets pretty ok ball, the options he wants ain't there so ball gets recycled and goes wide with Arundell running out of space. So for me I was thinking, shame he didn't get longer whereas there was the view from Sam (I think) in that he ran up a blind alley and should really have created a try scoring move. A little bit like the Itoje reviews, we know how good they are so if they're not all conquering then they're poor, whereas in comparison with their peers they hold up well.

No 7&1/2

lostinwales and Poorfour like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 08 Mar 2023, 10:23 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:If he does get a start, I hope he produces. We can't continue finding excuses for the lad.....

He's produced already for me, but I suppose it's what exactly you're looking for. A good example is the last game. Comes on with 15 seconds to go, gets pretty ok ball, the options he wants ain't there so ball gets recycled and goes wide with Arundell running out of space. So for me I was thinking, shame he didn't get longer whereas there was the view from Sam (I think) in that he ran up a blind alley and should really have created a try scoring move. A little bit like the Itoje reviews, we know how good they are so if they're not all conquering then they're poor, whereas in comparison with their peers they hold up well.

I don't think that is the case is at all.

He started off ok, but on the whole he hasn't produced. I don't think he's looked good enough for the majority of his 20 caps tbh. We've seen fleeting signs but he needs to be better.....just overall better. For all this attacking brilliance he's had, we've not looked in the slightest threatening with ball in hand. I'm hoping it was the tactics rather than Smith, but time will tell.

People may recall Charlie Hodgson who was a fantastic attacking 10, who was constantly excellent in the Premiership.........he never really stepped up to that level on the International scene.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 08 Mar 2023, 10:28 am

So, you've seen a big improvement consistently with Farrell vs say Wales I thought there were flashes of the attack coming together vs Scotland and similar in the next 2. I do like the tweaks that Borthwick has made overall, just think that Smith switch was perhaps made with how important Farrell has been to England in the past and how much of a leader he clearly is. As per my original comment I think Smith has put pressure on Farrell for a start this week not because of his attack (though a step up on the other fly halfs we have) but by the way he's controlling games and a better kicking percentage; I really can't get around 47%.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 08 Mar 2023, 10:32 am

One thing that’s not been mentioned in the fly half debate is the pack. In the last 6N and especially the Autumn Internationals, the pack were not functioning as a unit, particularly at the breakdown. My dad’s first comment to me after the South Africa game was that the forwards played like they’d barely even met each other. That continued into the Scotland game and even the second half against Italy this year but now the starting pack are looking good and the subs are beginning to integrate better.

However good a fly half is, they’re only ever going to be able to produce in flashes if the pack isn’t achieving parity with their opposition. We saw that on the other side against Wales - their forwards have only rarely managed to get organised and deliver quality ball or consistent defence, and the back division has been severely limited in what it can do.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 08 Mar 2023, 11:02 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I don't buy into this, a top 10 adapts to what he has.
This. Something I've argued many times in the Smith debate. I find the insistence that he needs particular players or even club partners around him to be on the same wavelength as his teammates really odd. It's something you so rarely hear with others. I can't remember many arguing for Daly to return because he plays at Sarries with Farrell for instance. Yet with Smith I've heard it said a lot in relation to Care, Dombrandt and Marchant, even mentioned around Murley and Lynagh.

To be a top international, which Smith definitely has the talent to be, in any position let alone at 10 you need to be able to mould yourself to the tactics and teammates that suit the squad not having the squad and tactics moulded around one player. It's something I've been saying from the earliest mentions of "building a backline around Smith".

For all the talk of Smith having the insurmountable obstacle of Farrell outside him at 12 didn't Ford won 3 Six Nations as fly-half with the same player outside him for instance?

I definitely think Smith can by a fantastic international fly-half but he has been poor in several of his chances. The lack of adaption to varying his depth more against international defences last Six Nations being a key example. Some astonishingly poor attacking kicks not taking into account how much better international back threes cover space being another - the speculative cross-field kick straight to Jaminet from our own 22 that gave France their try just before half time last year being a true stinker!

That's not to say he hasn't had good moments too. I think there was definitely signs of him directing the attack much more smartly in the summer and autumn. He was starting to work phases in advance (almost Ford-esque one might say...  Whistle) to manipulate the defence really well. The ridiculous error count that plagued the later EJ games didn't take full advantage but it was definitely there. That's what will make Smith a world class international 10 though. The half a dozen phases before the pass or kick that ends up on the highlights reel. Or the quickly forgotten kick tennis battles that win a big net gain giving an attacking lineout from which a first phase strike play works.

Carter is the greatest example of this. He started out as a flashy running fly-half playing 12. He ended his career as the pragmatic head and heartbeat of the best side I've seen play rugby who kicked more than any other side in the game but did so to create chances from which DC still used all the skills seen in those early fireworks to ruthlessly cut through defences.

king_carlos

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Wed 08 Mar 2023, 2:27 pm

king_carlos wrote:
This. Something I've argued many times in the Smith debate. I find the insistence that he needs particular players or even club partners around him to be on the same wavelength as his teammates really odd. It's something you so rarely hear with others. I can't remember many arguing for Daly to return because he plays at Sarries with Farrell for instance. Yet with Smith I've heard it said a lot in relation to Care, Dombrandt and Marchant, even mentioned around Murley and Lynagh.

To be a top international, which Smith definitely has the talent to be, in any position let alone at 10 you need to be able to mould yourself to the tactics and teammates that suit the squad not having the squad and tactics moulded around one player. It's something I've been saying from the earliest mentions of "building a backline around Smith".

For all the talk of Smith having the insurmountable obstacle of Farrell outside him at 12 didn't Ford won 3 Six Nations as fly-half with the same player outside him for instance?

I definitely think Smith can by a fantastic international fly-half but he has been poor in several of his chances. The lack of adaption to varying his depth more against international defences last Six Nations being a key example. Some astonishingly poor attacking kicks not taking into account how much better international back threes cover space being another - the speculative cross-field kick straight to Jaminet from our own 22 that gave France their try just before half time last year being a true stinker!

That's not to say he hasn't had good moments too. I think there was definitely signs of him directing the attack much more smartly in the summer and autumn. He was starting to work phases in advance (almost Ford-esque one might say...  Whistle) to manipulate the defence really well. The ridiculous error count that plagued the later EJ games didn't take full advantage but it was definitely there. That's what will make Smith a world class international 10 though. The half a dozen phases before the pass or kick that ends up on the highlights reel. Or the quickly forgotten kick tennis battles that win a big net gain giving an attacking lineout from which a first phase strike play works.

Carter is the greatest example of this. He started out as a flashy running fly-half playing 12. He ended his career as the pragmatic head and heartbeat of the best side I've seen play rugby who kicked more than any other side in the game but did so to create chances from which DC still used all the skills seen in those early fireworks to ruthlessly cut through defences.

Let's be honest about the quality of Smith's performances in a white shirt to date. He has not impressed at all. As you point out can this really be all down to other players and tactics? Maybe he is just not ready to translate club form into international? If Saturday was a knock out RWC match I would start Farrell, but as we probably won't go too far in the RWC with Farrell at 10 then we might as well get Smith in now to run the show. Could be really useful for RWC 2027!

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 08 Mar 2023, 2:49 pm

hugehandoff wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Let's be honest about the quality of Smith's performances in a white shirt to date. He has not impressed at all. As you point out can this really be all down to other players and tactics? Maybe he is just not ready to translate club form into international? If Saturday was a knock out RWC match I would start Farrell, but as we probably won't go too far in the RWC with Farrell at 10 then we might as well get Smith in now to run the show. Could be really useful for RWC 2027!

Or 6n 2024... Wink

Geordie

hugehandoff likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next