The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clay Court Season - the run up to the French Open 2023

+4
JuliusHMarx
dummy_half
MrInvisible
sirfredperry
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Clay Court Season - the run up to the French Open 2023 - Page 2 Empty Clay Court Season - the run up to the French Open 2023

Post by sirfredperry Mon 3 Apr - 8:14

First topic message reminder :

After IW and Miami attention switches to the European clay-court season culminating with RG.

Monte Carlo starts next week. It was initially reported that Rafa would make his return at MC but the player has refuted that. It appears he'll be back for Barcelona.

Rafa's long absence and a lack of clarity over his fitness mean that another RG title for the Spaniard is far from certain. Medvedev has been the stand-out player so far this year, reaching five successive finals and winning four of them. Can he take his hard-court form into the clay-court season?

Djoko will be eyeing more Slam glory and will no doubt be pleased that any effort he puts in at Wimbledon this year will be rewarded with ranking points now that the Russia/Belarus ban has been lifted.

One Ukrainian back on the circuit today is Mrs Gael Monfils, aka as Elina Svitolina, who returns after giving birth as recently as October. Expect her to be critical of the lifting of the Wimbledon ban.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Clay Court Season - the run up to the French Open 2023 - Page 2 Empty Re: Clay Court Season - the run up to the French Open 2023

Post by sirfredperry Wed 17 May - 20:56

Rafa is to announce tomorrow (Thurs) whether he will play RG. Spanish Press believe he will pull out.

Meanwhile Andy Murray has been absolutely smashed by Stan the Man in a Challenger in Bordeaux, losing 3 and love. I though Stan would win but didn't expect Andy to get so few games.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Clay Court Season - the run up to the French Open 2023 - Page 2 Empty Re: Clay Court Season - the run up to the French Open 2023

Post by Guest Wed 17 May - 23:53

Casper Ruud seems to be stirring just in time for Roland Garros.
The Norwegian seeing off Francisco Cerundolo 7-6 6-4.
Ruud should be one of the leading contenders for Roland Garros.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 May - 23:55

Also what enjoyment does Andy Murray get from still playing on? Granted I’m no one to offer him any advice. But as a triple major winner and #1, it must be somewhat soul destroying getting beaten so frequently these days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 18 May - 8:09

Jeff Navarro wrote:Also what enjoyment does Andy Murray get from still playing on? Granted I’m no one to offer him any advice. But as a triple major winner and #1, it must be somewhat soul destroying getting beaten so frequently these days.

I've been asking that same question since he came back, he's routinely losing to guys he would have walked over before the hip injury. There's the odd moment here and there but is coming back from two sets down in the second round of Wimbledon really the level he wants to be playing at?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 18 May - 12:25

Jeff Navarro wrote:Also what enjoyment does Andy Murray get from still playing on? Granted I’m no one to offer him any advice. But as a triple major winner and #1, it must be somewhat soul destroying getting beaten so frequently these days.

It's the dog in him, he has always refused to admit defeat in a match so I guess he is refusing to admit he is finished.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 May - 15:24

Rafael Nadal officially out for Roland Garros and Wimbledon. He subsequently announced his will retire at the end of 2024.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 May - 16:05

Medvedev powers into the semis with a straightforward 6-2 6-2 win over Hanfmann.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 May - 10:38

Stefanos Tsitsipas beat Borna Coric 6-3 6-4.

Semi finals:
Rune vs Ruud
Tsitsipas vs Medvedev

In normal circumstances you've favour a Ruud-Tsitsipas final.

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 19 May - 14:19

Rafa definitely not playing RG, and saying that his current intention is to retire at the end of 2024. Is having major problems coming back from the hip muscle injury that started in Aus.

I even wonder if we've seen the last of a competitive Rafa...

With Djoko not in top form and Murray not having been able to get back to his pre surgery self, there's very much an end of an era feel to the men's game at present.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 19 May - 19:04

Sad news about Rafa but, as they say, "time and tide...". On the bright side, this makes the French a bit more interesting.

Despite his trials of late, Djoko, to me, is still favourite for RG, although I would be happier putting money on him for Wimbledon than for Paris.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 20 May - 7:47

Halep's second, separate, drugs charge looks ominous for the player. She's protesting her innocence but it seems certain that she will now get some sort of a ban.

Halep has also complained about the time it's taken to sort out the first accusation and it has sure gone on for far too long.

Meanwhile in Rome Rybakina will, in the final, play Ukraine's Kalinina who in what must have been an emotionally-charged match, beat Russian opponent Kudermetova in a long three-setter.

Rune, Ruud, Medvedev and Tsitsipas are battling it out for the men's title.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 May - 15:35

Holger Rune came from a set down to beat Casper Ruud and reaches his third ATP 1000 final.
Rune winning 6-7 6-4 6-2. It's easy to forget Rune is only a few weeks older than Alcaraz, this could easily to the big rivalry of the next decade.

Casper Ruud, for me, is just a little soft. Maybe not mentally strong enough in these big tournaments. He's 0-4 in 'Big finals' and he doesn't really seem a really top player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 May - 21:39

Don't take betting advise from Jeff!!!

Daniil Medvedev beats Stefanos Tsitsipas 7-5 7-5 to reach first ATP1000 final on clay. I said the Russian had new tricks on clay, but I experted Tsitsipas to be a step to far. But not a bit of it, a magnificent performance by the Russian.
Only the second Russian to ever reach the final in Roma, the first being Soviet Russian Andrei Chesnokov.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 21 May - 10:34

Medvedev is probably surprising even himself with this run to the final. I see that a win for the Russian will take him to number two in the rankings which will make the seedings at RG interesting.

It's a real Hamlet-without-the-Prince feeling to RG with Rafa absent. But it does offer a real opportunity to a number of players.

JN - I kinda share your views about Ruud. Looks well over-ranked to me, although that's likely to change by the end of the season as he has some very big points to defend.

A triumvirate of sorts seems to be developing in the women, with Swiatek, Sabalenka and Rybakina sweeping up the major tournies so far this year. Having a Big Three will do no harm at all to the WTA tour.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 May - 18:25

Daniil Medvedev wins the Italian Open beating Holger Rune 7-5 7-5.
Medvedev’s 6th ATP1000, moving him clear of Marat Safin as the most successful Russian at ATP1000 level.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 21 May - 19:10

Medvedev is putting himself in a good position to challenge for year-end number one following this Rome title.

He does not have that many points to defend and is already leading the year-so-far points table.

My money would still be on Djoko to finish top of the pile come the end of the season. He must be considered favourite for Wimbledon and won't be dropping any points at the USO.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 22 May - 10:12

Andy Murray withdraws from the French Open.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 May - 1:00

Oakdene wrote:Andy Murray withdraws from the French Open.
Not really all that surprising considering he lost in round 1 of all three ATP1000 events on clay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2