The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat

+46
George Carlin
broadlandboy
Geordie
Galted
Pete330v2
dummy_half
bsando
BigGee
Rugby Fan
thebandwagonsociety
Noble-Surfer
Oakdene
hugehandoff
Recwatcher16
Maine man
westisbest
tigertattie
Cumbrian
Welshmushroom
TheMildlyFranticLlama
TAFKA The Oracle
doctor_grey
Lowlandbrit
RDW
sensisball
carpet baboon
mikey_dragon
Mr Bounce
neilthom7
Poorfour
lostinwales
Unclear
Yoda
theslosty
Old Man
Heaf
BamBam
king_carlos
LeinsterFan4life
Morgan75
RiscaGame
formerly known as Sam
Collapse2005
Duty281
No 7&1/2
Sgt_Pooly
50 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat - Page 3 Empty Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 08 Sep 2023, 7:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

I couldn't see a topic to discuss general WC stuff and non home nations games.......

Now we do...

Sgt_Pooly

Duty281 and No 7&1/2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat - Page 3 Empty Re: Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat

Post by carpet baboon Sat 09 Sep 2023, 4:32 pm

Heaf wrote:Have to admire Ireland for keeping going after full time for the last try - but would have looked daft if someone had picked up an injury at that point ...

Won't lie I was pleading at the TV for someone to hoof it off the park

carpet baboon

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat - Page 3 Empty Re: Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat

Post by king_carlos Sat 09 Sep 2023, 4:32 pm

Heaf wrote:Have to admire Ireland for keeping going after full time for the last try - but would have looked daft if someone had picked up an injury at that point ...
It's very possible that qualification in that group comes down to points difference to be fair. It's not unforeseeable that SA, Ire and Scotland each take a game off each other leaving the three of them with 3 wins and a loss. Tonga could crash the party as well. If Ireland win all their group games to top it for instance then Scotland might beat the Boks and lose to Tonga. Leaving the second qualifiers on 2 wins apiece.

BPs and points difference could be all important in a few weeks.

king_carlos

Duty281, Heaf and carpet baboon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 09 Sep 2023, 4:49 pm

Australia/Georgia could be intriguing. It's 9th v 11th in the world rankings...

Do think the heavy Georgian pack will struggle in this hot weather. At least, I'm presuming they're heavy based on watching them before, I haven't seen any stats.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sat 09 Sep 2023, 5:17 pm

Georgia' s development has kind of mirrored Argentina' s. Much greater ability to play in the backs but the scrum strength has largely gone.

Don't have a scary tight head like Davit Zirakashvili
or a ball carrying monster like Gorgodze.

Looks like Oz could run away with this unless Georgia can get some time with the ball.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 09 Sep 2023, 5:53 pm

Looks like white lifted that to me.

No 7&1/2

Morgan75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Sat 09 Sep 2023, 6:01 pm

The Australian pack weight is massive (probably solely down to Skelton). Georgia do look less fit than Australia. Australia will waltz this.

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 09 Sep 2023, 6:03 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Looks like white lifted that to me.

100%. The female commentator even said as much, albeit she said he lifted it on to a leg, so not out (I would assume that’s still lifted off the ground Wink)

RiscaGame

Morgan75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 09 Sep 2023, 6:17 pm

sensisball wrote:Georgia' s development has kind of mirrored Argentina' s. Much greater ability to play in the backs but the scrum strength has largely gone.

Don't have a scary tight head like Davit Zirakashvili
or a ball carrying monster like Gorgodze.

Looks like Oz could run away with this unless Georgia can get some time with the ball.

Gorgadze at 8 is a good ball carrier, isn't the same beast as Gorgodze was though they did work well on tandem back in 2019.

They've struggled to generate momentum, when they've had a couple of phases over the gain line they've looked alright but they definitely do miss a talismanic figure up front.

formerly known as Sam

sensisball likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 09 Sep 2023, 6:35 pm

king_carlos wrote:
It's very possible that qualification in that group comes down to points difference to be fair. It's not unforeseeable that SA, Ire and Scotland each take a game off each other leaving the three of them with 3 wins and a loss. Tonga could crash the party as well. If Ireland win all their group games to top it for instance then Scotland might beat the Boks and lose to Tonga. Leaving the second qualifiers on 2 wins apiece.

BPs and points difference could be all important in a few weeks.

Ah yeh - forgot this was the group of death ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 09 Sep 2023, 7:25 pm

carpet baboon wrote:

Won't lie I was pleading at the TV for someone to hoof it off the park

I wanted another try

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 09 Sep 2023, 8:34 pm

There has been a ridiculous amount of kicking from hand in the opening weekend of RWC

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 09 Sep 2023, 8:41 pm

Rugby has issues. The lack of ball in play here is worrying

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sat 09 Sep 2023, 8:56 pm

Once this heat wave breaks things should settle down to more normal patterns of play.
Hopefully by round 2, definitely by round 3.

sensisball

Rugby Fan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 09 Sep 2023, 10:13 pm

Rugby Union is predominantly a kicking game, where territory is more important than possession, and especially with the breakdown laws not exactly encouraging teams to play from deep.

If you want less kicking, go and watch League or 7s.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 09 Sep 2023, 11:48 pm

Yeah it's not been an overly high quality opening weekend of games, and that's not just about the kicking. It really needs a game to spark the tournament into life.

Hopefully that comes from Scotland...!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Rugby Fan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 10 Sep 2023, 10:03 am

We're all Fijian today, right?

BamBam

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:02 pm

For now I'm Chile

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:23 pm

Chile with some nice set plays and great energy, but signs everywhere that Japan are just a better team. Fitness levels will be key here I think.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:32 pm

Japan looking pretty average. What's happened to the team that beat SA in 2015 and had a great run in 2019!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:38 pm

RDW wrote:Japan looking pretty average. What's happened to the team that beat SA in 2015 and had a great run in 2019!
Was thinking the same thing. Making Chile seem pretty assured.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:39 pm

I'd be amazed if Chile can keep this up though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:41 pm

Especially with that yellow card!
Japan have a pretty high powered coaching team.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:46 pm

That yellow card seemed a bit harsh. It was late, definitely, but it was also low and he clearly wrapped. The Japanese prop getting some treatment on his knee as a result made it look worse and resulted in that yellow card.

formerly known as Sam

TAFKA The Oracle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:49 pm

Why are Japan kicking so much in Chile 22! Keep it in hand and go through the phases and they'll score

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:51 pm

Chile look a well drilled side.

Hopefully World Rugby look to promote a South American League with Argentina, Uruguay and Chile all likely to benefit from that which would only be good for the game. Argentina share a border with both so travel shouldn't be massively onerous.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:53 pm

RDW wrote:What's happened to the team that beat SA in 2015
It's actually reminding me a lot of that game so far, but with Japan in the SA role chasing a BP instead of getting clear.
Think this might be it though.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:56 pm

This yellow/red review seems like a carbon copy of the Curry one. Gotta be red for consistency, surely?

Last edited by TAFKA The Oracle on Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:57 pm

Don't hold your breath ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 10 Sep 2023, 12:59 pm

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:This yellow/red review seems like a carbon copy of the Curry one. Gotta be red for consistency, surely?

Wasn't as much force involved and they might decide the Chilean Captain absorbs the contact more than Curry who definitely steps in to it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 10 Sep 2023, 1:07 pm

Clive Woodward should not be allowed to talk pish on tv and mislead viewers like this. His views on card sanctions are so off the mark

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 10 Sep 2023, 1:12 pm

Clive Woodward would be the best pundit in the world....if it were 2002. Unfortunately, the game has moved on and he hasn't.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 10 Sep 2023, 1:24 pm

Regardless of what SCW says, I can't see how the Chilean offence is anything less than Curry's offence.

World Rugby shooting itself in the foot again. Ridiculous.

However, well played Chile - only 9 points down after 50 minutes.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Sun 10 Sep 2023, 1:28 pm

Consistently inconsistent!

Yoda

Mr Bounce and Heaf like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 10 Sep 2023, 1:34 pm

From what I saw the tackler was moving forwards into the tackle, upright and caused a head on head so puzzled why not red too ... Given the speed of the ball carrier I would think the closing speed between the heads was no less than the Curry collision so how is it less dangerous?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sun 10 Sep 2023, 1:40 pm

king_carlos wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the final is a repeat of this opener. I have a feeling that the carnage of group B might tell physically come the QFs for whichever two teams from that group qualify. Then these two should have no problem dismissing whoever crawls to a semi from the make a wish foundation side of the draw.

Ok that has creased me - fair play Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat - Page 3 1f602 Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat - Page 3 1f602 Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat - Page 3 1f602

Welshmushroom

carpet baboon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 10 Sep 2023, 1:47 pm

Heaf wrote:From what I saw the tackler was moving forwards into the tackle, upright and caused a head on head so puzzled why not red too ... Given the speed of the ball carrier I would think the closing speed between the heads was no less than the Curry collision so how is it less dangerous?

The Chilean Captain doesn't move into the contact he absorbs it. The Japanese player also is twisting as he goes into contact.

It's a 50/50 call again, Curry's last night was 50/50 as well. Whether there's mitigation is always likely to be a bit contentious.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sun 10 Sep 2023, 1:48 pm

To be fair some of those Chile players look pretty good. Reckon there could be some astute pickups for clubs there given these guys are not pro and would clearly improve in pro league conditions. That 15 for Chile for example looks very quick and useful. Could be worth a punt for some club I'm sure.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 10 Sep 2023, 2:15 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:To be fair some of those Chile players look pretty good.  Reckon there could be some astute pickups for clubs there given these guys are not pro and would clearly improve in pro league conditions.  That 15 for Chile for example looks very quick and useful.  Could be worth a punt for some club I'm sure.
He's already playing in the prod2 is he not?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sun 10 Sep 2023, 2:24 pm

he looked better than pro d2 standard on that showing.....exactly the sort of export I would like to have seen at the dragons as I imagine he would be cheap as well.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 10 Sep 2023, 3:16 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:he looked better than pro d2 standard on that showing.....exactly the sort of export I would like to have seen at the dragons as I imagine he would be cheap as well.

ProD2 is a real mixed bag of ability and funding. There's some set ups there that have big crowds and big budgets. Admittedly Ayarza plays towards the bottom of that so might well be affordable.

I thought Escobar the hooker looked handy and at 23 prime for some professional coaching to take him on. The fun to be had with his surname as well. Most of the squad seem to play for the Chilean team in the Americas League. Good to see that's a thing, slight shame to see there's so few teams in the league though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 10 Sep 2023, 7:57 pm

Wales’ anthem now also botched.

mikey_dragon

Heaf and Morgan75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 10 Sep 2023, 8:15 pm

The injury to Muntz already showing as a real issue to Fiji. They are playing heavily off 9 and at international level that penalty kick should have been routine.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 10 Sep 2023, 8:17 pm

Fiji looking really good in possession, that tempo is tough to handle, and they've finally made an attack count.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 10 Sep 2023, 8:19 pm

Fiji’s offloading is something else, they always make it stick.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 10 Sep 2023, 8:19 pm

Wales playing dumb though. The ball is greasy, knock ons will happen and Wales were trying to play out from their own 22. Biggar is a quality kicker, they've got a rapid back three, kick and chase. Play in the areas you want to be in, Wales have way to much experience to be this naive.

formerly known as Sam

Heaf and Morgan75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 10 Sep 2023, 8:20 pm

That was a corker

Heaf

Duty281 and formerly known as Sam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sun 10 Sep 2023, 8:24 pm

Game going as expected so far.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 10 Sep 2023, 8:24 pm

More than 50 tackles after 20 mins. Wales can't keep that up. Not against a team as big and as quick as Fiji.

formerly known as Sam

Morgan75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan75 Sun 10 Sep 2023, 8:26 pm

Every time Fiji breaks the first line of defence, they look like they will score a try every time

Morgan75

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 10 Sep 2023, 8:28 pm

Morgan75 wrote:Every time Fiji breaks the first line of defence, they look like they will score a try every time

It a lot of one on one tackles. You've got to double up against Fiji. Stop the offload and drive them back. Can't give them momentum.

formerly known as Sam

Morgan75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next