The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024

+37
Poorfour
king_carlos
Oakdene
Highland Shaun
EWT Spoons
Hazel Sapling
Rugby Fan
alive555
neilthom7
doctor_grey
funnyExiledScot
RiscaGame
Galted
TJ
EST
TAFKA The Oracle
Mcsweens
Geordie
No 7&1/2
TheMildlyFranticLlama
lostinwales
Heaf
Duty281
Heuer27
Old Man
Collapse2005
NeilyBroon
CaptainHaddock
tigertattie
Tramptastic
sensisball
bsando
RDW
jimbopip
BigGee
George Carlin
41 posters

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024 - Page 13 Empty Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024

Post by George Carlin Wed 13 Sep 2023, 8:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scotland v Tonga
Sunday, September 24
Stade de Nice - 4.45pm kick-off.

Scotland v Romania
Saturday, September 30
Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Lille - 8pm kick-off

Scotland v Paddy Cousins
Saturday, October 7
Stade de France - 8pm kick-off

The 20 teams are divided into four groups as follows:

Pool A – New Zealand, France, Italy, Uruguay, Namibia

Pool B – South Africa, Ireland, Scotland, Tonga, Romania

Pool C – Wales, Australia, Fiji, Georgia, Portugal

Pool D – England, Japan, Argentina, Samoa, Chile

The top two teams from each pool advance to the quarter-finals. The teams who finish third secure automatic qualification for the 2027 World Cup, which is scheduled to take place in Australia in 2027.

The quarter-final draw is as follows:

QF1 – Pool C winner v Pool D runner-up

QF 2 – Pool B winner v Pool A runner-up

QF 3 – Pool D winner v Pool C runner-up

QF 4 – Pool A winner v Pool B runner-up

That means if Scotland manage to progress from the group stages they would be likely to face New Zealand or France in the quarter-finals if results go as expected.

The semi-final draw is as follows:

Winner of QF 1 v Winner of QF2

Winner of QF 3 v Winner of QF 4

The 2023 Rugby World Cup final takes place on Saturday, October 28, at the Stade de France, kick-off 8pm.

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue 30 Jan 2024, 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024 - Page 13 Empty Re: Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 17 Jan 2024, 9:43 am

Not seen the other rumours and thought Cherry maybe had more tread on the tyres left considering the late entry to professionalism.

At the same time though, Hiddleston and Fraser have looked solid for Glasgow in really limited time. Robbie Smith has played well for Northampton. Richardson seems to be taking to the conversion at the Sharks though he is presently injured. Forgot about Patrick Harrison as well.

Basically it feels like he is being outplayed by Matthews and this might have been his last chance anyway. No point going on a summer tour. By November next year, Cherry is probably not in the frame without an injury crisis.

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Wed 17 Jan 2024, 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot Patrick Harrison)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024 - Page 13 Empty Re: Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:19 am

Fin Smith and Tom Roebuck are confirmed part of England squad, opens more opportunities for our u20s to step up I guess!

At some point we need to sort our player pipeline. The golden generation Russell etc basically all came from the u20s pathway.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 17 Jan 2024, 10:28 am

Warr not in England squad, but probably would be behind the 3 picked for us in any case. He and Dobie would likely be the next cabs off the rank if any SH injuries.

Dobie has been pretty unlucky with injuries recently and is just not getting the run of games at SH that he needs. Another one who may have to wait for the summer tour for his chance.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 17 Jan 2024, 12:33 pm

As expected Smith and Roebuck side with England and sadly Dingwall has not been ignored this time either. Considering our depth on the wing, centre and fly half none of these guys are a big loss despite their talent. Very glad to see cockasiga has been ignored, he scares the life out of me. Harsh on him, his form has been sublime at Bath.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Wed 17 Jan 2024, 12:58 pm

Well it seems like the boy Eggchasers Rugby was right regarding Gus Warr so expect him to get the call if any of SHs get injured.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 17 Jan 2024, 1:22 pm

bsando wrote:Very glad to see cockasiga has been ignored, he scares the life out of me. Harsh on him, his form has been sublime at Bath.
Sadly, he's got the high ball skills you'd get by combining Duhey's positioning, Allan Jacobsen's turning circle and Nick de Luca's hands. It's rough to watch. Kind of remarkably, I sincerely think those elements of Big Joe's game have actually got a bit worse with experience too!

king_carlos

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 18 Jan 2024, 3:06 pm

No Gus Warr in the England A team, looks like he may well have committed to Scotland but just not been picked this time around.

Presumably he'll jump in if there are any injuries

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri 19 Jan 2024, 8:47 am

To be fair, difficult to include him when Price, Horne and White are all in form.

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 19 Jan 2024, 8:52 am

Looks like Darcy might be crocked again with a groin injury. The mood music suggesting it might be a serious one.

For all Darcy brilliance, he is unfortunately, very injury prone.

We are pretty well off for back three options and this might present as an opportunity for Steyn, Reed or Rowe.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri 19 Jan 2024, 1:39 pm

I saw that he was injured but haven't seen any comments on how bust he is?

Rowe would be a like for like i'd imagine? Would be happy for Steyn to slot in though

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 19 Jan 2024, 3:07 pm

Shame for Darcy if he’s out, would that open the door for another back in the squad?

Rowe has played well this season and probably deserves a shot. Equally Jones on the wing would be another good option. If Steyn had a good game against Toulon then I’d also happily see him start, he’s a strong performer for Scotland.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 19 Jan 2024, 4:14 pm

Duhey, Steyn and Blairhorn is one chonky back three. If they wanted to try a less physical centre such as Redpath alongside Tuipulotu then having a back three stacked with guys who can get over the gain line when needed could complement the extra playmaker well.

Shug is very useful bench option still given his versatility and how dynamic he is. If the plan is to keep Finn on for 80 minutes if possible anyway, then Shug at 23 even opens the 6-2 split looking reasonable with Blair covering 10 in case of emergency. Having Fagerson and Christie on the bench so that Dempsey and Darge can hurl themselves into everything for 50 minutes could suit this pack quite well I think.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 19 Jan 2024, 4:18 pm

king_carlos wrote:Duhey, Steyn and Blairhorn is one chonky back three. If they wanted to try a less physical centre such as Redpath alongside Tuipulotu then having a back three stacked with guys who can get over the gain line when needed could complement the extra playmaker well.

Shug is very useful bench option still given his versatility and how dynamic he is. If the plan is to keep Finn on for 80 minutes if possible anyway, then Shug at 23 even opens the 6-2 split looking reasonable with Blair covering 10 in case of emergency. Having Fagerson and Christie on the bench so that Dempsey and Darge can hurl themselves into everything for 50 minutes could suit this pack quite well I think.

Chonky???

Forgive me, I thought it was a new word (new to me) but I realise it was probably a typo.

Last edited by jimbopip on Fri 19 Jan 2024, 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 19 Jan 2024, 4:19 pm

Big thicc juicy bois.

king_carlos

bsando and Mcsweens like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 19 Jan 2024, 4:22 pm

Speaking of typos... Shocked

carlos, you do realise that bois is the French for wood? Big thick juicy "wood" picard You'll be supporting the Luvvies next season.

jimbopip

TJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 19 Jan 2024, 4:25 pm

If the rumours I've heard from Edinburgh residents who have seen Duhan doing yoga in questionable tight shorts are accurate, then so is my unintentional use of French.

king_carlos

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 19 Jan 2024, 4:34 pm

Shlong de merwe?

NeilyBroon

king_carlos and RDW like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 Jan 2024, 11:12 pm

Huwipoluto instantly clicking when paired together again. Jones lethal at 13.

I'd really love to see Redpath involved in Scotland, but those two are definitely our frontline combo!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 19 Jan 2024, 11:15 pm

10.Redpath 11.Duhan 12.Tuipulotu 13.Shug 14.Blairhorn 15.Finn

You read it here first gents.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Sat 20 Jan 2024, 4:43 am

bsando wrote:Shame for Darcy if he’s out, would that open the door for another back in the squad?

Rowe has played well this season and probably deserves a shot. Equally Jones on the wing would be another good option. If Steyn had a good game against Toulon then I’d also happily see him start, he’s a strong performer for Scotland.

Sean Maitland or should we be looking past him now chin chin

I can't think of any other realistic options to call up because I can't see Ruaridh McConnachie getting another call up but you never know Very Happy.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 20 Jan 2024, 7:22 am

I don't think Maitland needs a call, plenty of cover at the moment! Most likely Steyn or Rowe with Reed on the bench to seal the deal??

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 20 Jan 2024, 1:33 pm

In my head Maitland has been a player-coach for about 3 years for some reason. Then I look at the stats, he's played 12 and started 9 games already this season. He doesn't even seem to run anymore but he's still good on the wing. It's bizarre. Like some sort of optical illusion.

A bit like the very end of Richard Hill's career when his knees were properly guffed, he looked like it was a struggle to walk out the tunnel, then he'd get half a dozen turnovers in a Sarries game against decent opposition back rows. It made no sense.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Sat 20 Jan 2024, 1:35 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:I don't think Maitland needs a call, plenty of cover at the moment! Most likely Steyn or Rowe with Reed on the bench to seal the deal??

Sounds good to me 😀, it would also be nice to see Hepburn and Hurd get bench slots at some point during 6Ns too 😁.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 20 Jan 2024, 5:49 pm

I think Maitland was cast aside too early. I’d have preferred to see him playing for Scotland and ending his career at the World Cup but the coaches wanted to try out Cancelled Maclean, Ollie Smith, Rowe etc.

After the 2022 six nations I believe Maitland said he wanted to be doing more than holding tackle bags, which probably didn’t go down too well. Given some of the players they’ve called up I think he was out of the picture altogether after that.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sat 20 Jan 2024, 6:51 pm

king_carlos wrote:If the rumours I've heard from Edinburgh residents who have seen Duhan doing yoga in questionable tight shorts are accurate, then so is my unintentional use of French.

Thats why he's called Thor - massive hammer.

Mcsweens

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sat 20 Jan 2024, 6:54 pm

bsando wrote:I think Maitland was cast aside too early. I’d have preferred to see him playing for Scotland and ending his career at the World Cup but the coaches wanted to try out Cancelled Maclean, Ollie Smith, Rowe etc.

After the 2022 six nations I believe Maitland said he wanted to be doing more than holding tackle bags, which probably didn’t go down too well. Given some of the players they’ve called up I think he was out of the picture altogether after that.

Good ole Refuse Mclean is in the Raptors squad now, and will be USA eligible in 18 months.

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 20 Jan 2024, 10:35 pm

Mcsweens wrote:
bsando wrote:I think Maitland was cast aside too early. I’d have preferred to see him playing for Scotland and ending his career at the World Cup but the coaches wanted to try out Cancelled Maclean, Ollie Smith, Rowe etc.

Good ole Refuse Mclean is in the Raptors squad now, and will be USA eligible in 18 months.

Disappointed given his known abusive behaviour but let's just hope he's reformed and deserves his spot. Guess everyone deserves a second chance it's just some people's chances are bigger than others.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 21 Jan 2024, 11:29 am

Darcy ruled out for the first two games. Ross McCann replaced him in the squad, who will very much just be holding tackle bags.

Steyn to start.

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 21 Jan 2024, 12:08 pm

So Darge and Dancer are co-captains Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm not sure Toonie will have had much say in those decisions.

I once had a pal who had a Great Dane whose head was at least five feet above the pavement when he went for walkies. The pal's wife complained to me that the mutt had a habit of sitting on the expensive uphostery.

"Which chair does he sit on?" I asked.

"Whichever one he wants, who's going to argue?"

As for Dancer; it's his world and he can captain the Oxford rowing team if he so chooses.

Morning team, before we hit the training ground I just thought I'd tell you who I have decided to appoint as captain for the forthcoming tournament. Rory please sit down. Rory please stop shouting at the backs. Rory you're not...Oh alright then you are. Sorry Finn? What was that? But Rory is..No, I don't suppose you care. Yes it is perfectly normal. Yes you have always been captain, yes you are the captain of our hearts. Yes Rory your brother is the centre half for Hearts. No Fin you are not the captain of Hearts. Unless you want to be. So lads, Finn's captain and Rory's captain. And I'm away for a lie down.

jimbopip

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 21 Jan 2024, 12:58 pm

Good choices I think. Ritchie is a warrior but has a short temper, better than it once was, but he gets very touchy with officials when the adrenaline is running high.

Darge has a maturity beyond his years and is clearly being groomed to be Scotland's long term openside flanker. My only worry with Darge is how he has occasionally evaporated in some of the bigger international games. He will only get better with time.

Russell is a no brainer. He is practically running the Bath backline with Spencer as his co-pilot. He has the experience and understanding to excel as a captain. Ultimately it'll be the game plan and Scottish defence that determine the bulk of results but these two players, one young, the other in his prime, are a well balanced pair.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 21 Jan 2024, 1:00 pm

bsando wrote:Good choices I think. Ritchie is a warrior but has a short temper, better than it once was, but he gets very touchy with officials when the adrenaline is running high.

Darge has a maturity beyond his years and is clearly being groomed to be Scotland's long term openside flanker. My only worry with Darge is how he has occasionally evaporated in some of the bigger international games. He will only get better with time.

Russell is a no brainer. He is practically running the Bath backline with Spencer as his co-pilot. He has the experience and understanding to excel as a captain. Ultimately it'll be the game plan and Scottish defence that determine the bulk of results but these two players, one young, the other in his prime, are a well balanced pair.

bsando warning that is a very sensible post...careful, now.

Mind you, Freudian slip of the day...Russell is a no brainer. Indeed. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Sun 21 Jan 2024, 3:19 pm

So disappointed that Speedy Darcy is out for first 2 matches but luckily it isn't the whole campaign and also it's a great opportunity for Speedy Reedy to get a bench spot in one of these 2 opening games.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 21 Jan 2024, 3:28 pm

jimbopip wrote:
bsando wrote:Good choices I think. Ritchie is a warrior but has a short temper, better than it once was, but he gets very touchy with officials when the adrenaline is running high.

bsando warning that is a very sensible post...careful, now.

Mind you, Freudian slip of the day...Russell is a no brainer. Indeed. Whistle

Laugh

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 22 Jan 2024, 10:08 am

I was starting to get a little nervous about the form of Benetton and in particular their young fly half. Thankfully after a google I discovered he’s actually Argentinian. He’s been playing really well for them this season, arguably the form fly half in the URC.

After the strong showing of Tuipulotu and Jones against Toulon it seems the conversation around Huwipulotu has reignited. It was a good game but as mentioned beforehand, that was a Toulon side that knew their European campaign was over, missing key players. What it did seem to highlight to many is that Tuipulotu does seem to shine at inside centre. That could prove a headache for the coaches given the form of Redpath. Some tough calls to make before Wales.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 22 Jan 2024, 10:11 am

Highland Shaun wrote:So disappointed that Speedy Darcy is out for first 2 matches but luckily it isn't the whole campaign and also it's a great opportunity for Speedy Reedy to get a bench spot in one of these 2 opening games.

Can we call him Speedy McReedy? Jimbo has named the entire Edinburgh and Glasgow squads so surely
I’m allowed this one nickname Jimbo?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 22 Jan 2024, 10:26 am

Speedy McReedy indeedy.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 22 Jan 2024, 10:32 am

Has Jimbo called Alec Hepburn Audrey yet? If not I'd like to lay claim to that nickname!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 22 Jan 2024, 10:43 am

Jimbo - you better up your game, the kuds are getting the better of you!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 22 Jan 2024, 10:48 am

NeilyBroon wrote:Has Jimbo called Alec Hepburn Audrey yet? If not I'd like to lay claim to that nickname!

Really warning If we did things as obvious as that the team would run out to Breakfast At Tiffany's. drumroll

jimbopip

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 22 Jan 2024, 10:49 am

Tiffany's it is then, can't say I didn't try!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 22 Jan 2024, 3:09 pm

Apparently Duhan's nickname among the Scotland players is DWAYNE.
It seems that at a Lions team meeting Gatland spent the entire time calling him Dwayne. It was two weeks into the tour before someone corrected him.
Says all you need to know about Gatland

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 22 Jan 2024, 4:58 pm

Bloody hell. On the second day of my management off-site and it turns out that the main speaker that they booked to try and tell us how to be better leaders was Francois Pienaar. Good work, bookers.

Nice guy, good speaker and still looks like a brick outhouse at 57.

I thought better of my proposed offering at the Q&A session - “so Francois, if I was going to poison 30 professional athletes in a hotel, what would be the best way of doing that?”.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Mon 22 Jan 2024, 6:15 pm

So, now he literally is Darge and In Charge. Giving Finn the mic is a masterstroke too; all in all a good balance.

George did you ask Francois what he thought of Matt Damon's South African accent? And what Stellenbosch wines he most recommends? Please and Thankyou.

Last edited by Mcsweens on Mon 22 Jan 2024, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : past tense)

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 23 Jan 2024, 7:12 am

I heard Matt Damon on 5 Live a few years ago talking about Invictus and when asked about the difference in physical stature between an average human being and a Springbok flanker he said, "We went to Francois' house and when he opened the door he just kind of looked at me with a mixture of surprise and disappointment. Before he could speak I said Don't worry I'm taller on screen."

jimbopip

bsando and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Jan 2024, 10:57 am

Hastings injured again - that boy has no luck.

Will Hurd injured and we've somehow managed to find another SQ prop in Elliot Millar Mills

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 23 Jan 2024, 11:01 am

RDW wrote:Hastings injured again - that boy has no luck.

Will Hurd injured and we've somehow managed to find another SQ prop in Elliot Millar Mills

Millar-Mills has been known to be Scottish for a while, his sister may also have been capped by Scotland if I remember.

He is a journeyman prop, who always seems to find employment. He has been at several clubs, including Edinburgh for a little while.

He was on the Saints bench at the weekend agsinst Munster, so seems to be doing ok.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Jan 2024, 11:09 am

The thought of Fagerson getting injured in the first game... vomit

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 23 Jan 2024, 11:20 am

Millar-Mills has had a solid enough career but both Rae and McCallum have done more than him and are younger. Whilst Millar-Mills is having a solid scrummaging season as the bench Northampton prop, it feels a bit short sighted.

Adam Nicol is playing at Coventry these days but only just back from a hamstring tear. Was doing well at Jersey. Not sure what happened to Mak Wilson. Hopefully we can do a better job with Walker and Norrie.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 23 Jan 2024, 12:26 pm

The obe I am most durprised about missing out is Big Ollie Keeble, who has been playing much better for Glasgow this season. Franco seems to have whipped him into half decent shape

He covers TH pretty effectively

Sounds like Sebastian is not far off being fit and Walker expected to return for Glasgow in their next game as well

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Boston Exile and George Carlin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 23 Jan 2024, 12:48 pm

Just shows how bare the TH cupboard is, and nobody coming through in the short-term. I'll be in full on Private Frazer mode if Fagerson goes down.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next