The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd QF Ireland v New Zealand - Stade de France, Saint Denis

+40
Sgt_Pooly
doctor_grey
Maine man
theslosty
Galted
westisbest
Welshmushroom
Hazel Sapling
Old Man
LeinsterFan4life
RDW
bsando
neilthom7
Mcsweens
king_carlos
No 7&1/2
tigertattie
RiscaGame
Taylorman
Pot Hale
sensisball
Pete330v2
geoff999rugby
George Carlin
Unclear
dummy_half
TAFKA The Oracle
Collapse2005
Heaf
carpet baboon
Oakdene
lostinwales
Recwatcher16
eirebilly_01
Duty281
Poorfour
formerly known as Sam
mikey_dragon
thebandwagonsociety
Rugby Fan
44 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

2nd QF Ireland v New Zealand - Stade de France, Saint Denis - Page 4 Empty 2nd QF Ireland v New Zealand - Stade de France, Saint Denis

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 09 Oct 2023, 1:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ireland: Keenan, Hansen, Ringrose, Aki, Lowe; Sexton (capt), Gibson-Park; Porter, Sheehan, Furlong; Beirne, Henderson; O'Mahony, Van der Flier, Doris.

Replacements: Kelleher, Kilcoyne, Bealham, McCarthy, Conan, Murray, Crowley, O'Brien.

New Zealand: Beauden Barrett, Will Jordan, Rieko Ioane, Jordie Barrett, Leicester Fainga'anuku, Richie Mo'unga, Aaron Smith, Ardie Savea, Sam Cane (c), Shannon Frizell, Scott Barrett, Brodie Retallick, Tyrel Lomax, Codie Taylor, Ethan de Groot

Replacements: Dane Coles, Tamaiti Williams, Fletcher Newell, Samuel Whitelock, Dalton Papali'i, Finlay Christie, Damian McKenzie

Referee: Wayne Barnes TMO: Tom Foley

Assistant referees: Matthew Carley and Christophe Ridley

Last edited by Rugby Fan on Fri 13 Oct 2023, 12:23 am; edited 4 times in total

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

2nd QF Ireland v New Zealand - Stade de France, Saint Denis - Page 4 Empty Re: 2nd QF Ireland v New Zealand - Stade de France, Saint Denis

Post by RDW Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:51 pm

Fair play NZ that was an epic performance

Tough luck Ireland

That shouldn't have been a QF

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

2nd QF Ireland v New Zealand - Stade de France, Saint Denis - Page 4 Empty Re: 2nd QF Ireland v New Zealand - Stade de France, Saint Denis

Post by tigertattie Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:51 pm

Oh dear Ireland. Oh dear

Exhausting stuff. Absolutely knackering.

Commiserations to Ireland. Congratulations to New Zealand.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:51 pm

I'll probably say something petty and WUM-like in a day or 2, but Ireland, hats off, ye did yersel proud. 37 phases to end is gargantuan-like. Feel for you.

Mcsweens

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:52 pm

Amazing. Well done both teams. Won't see a better game all World Cup.

Ireland obviously a top four team, not a QF team, that's just the way the draw has worked. Nothing should prevent NZ from reaching the final. Cane and Mo'unga were outstanding tonight.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:52 pm

well that was exhausting

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:52 pm

We had the opportunity we just couldn't get over the line.
Superb from NZ.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:53 pm

What a game. I think everyone will have loved watching it.

No 7&1/2

Taylorman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:53 pm

Wow… You have to say, All Blacks were very good. The NH found wanting at the KO stages of the World Cup again.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:53 pm

What a rugby match. Astonishing quality on show. That just pips the Ireland vs Boks game for me as game of the tournament.

I honestly thought that Ardie gave away an advantage with no clear release. He released eventually but after slowing it.

Just an incredible game from start to finish. Heart stopping stuff at the end.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:54 pm

Woohoo, great game from both sides. Massive for the ABs to get this side who don’t know how to lose. All heart.
Kia Kaha!

Taylorman

Galted likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:55 pm

Wonderful game of rugby that. Skill levels were outstanding.

New Zealand were incredible at the breakdown and that rolling maul save from Jordie Barrett was as good as scoring a try.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:56 pm

Duty281 wrote:Amazing. Well done both teams. Won't see a better game all World Cup.

Ireland obviously a top four team, not a QF team, that's just the way the draw has worked. Nothing should prevent NZ from reaching the final. Cane and Mo'unga were outstanding tonight.

Best have seen from Cane since the day he knocked Wales over. Stood up.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:57 pm

Brilliant game, I know the draw is the draw, but for Ireland to go out in the QF is just sad. They deserve to get more out of this world cup. On this display they would have beaten most teams.

Congrats to NZ, I knew they would be back. What a match

Old Man

Pal Joey, doctor_grey and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:57 pm

Taylorman wrote:Woohoo, great game from both sides. Massive for the ABs to get this side who don’t know how to lose. All heart.
Kia Kaha!

Yup the nz side are so slow they don't remember any day longer than 35 days ago.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:58 pm

Brilliant game. Hats off to both teams.

Fair few on both sides who realised this was their last shot and gave it absolutely everything

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 14 Oct 2023, 9:59 pm

Duty281 wrote:Amazing. Well done both teams. Won't see a better game all World Cup.

Savea my man of the match

Old Man

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:00 pm

Cane and Ardie were both excellent. As were the axis of Mo'unga, Beauden and Jordie.

That's the best I've seen from Retallick for a long while too.

I thought Bierne was brilliant for Ireland. As was Aki.

Hansen going off felt like a big turning point.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:00 pm

Hate to say it but Sexton showed his relative decline tonight. Mo'unga and Beauden were on a different level.

Mcsweens

theslosty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:01 pm

Was a great game of rugby.

I fear Ireland may never get another chance as good as this to have won a world cup. They really have been the best team in world rugby the last 2 years.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:03 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:Was a great game of rugby.

I fear Ireland may never get another chance as good as this to have won a world cup.  They really have been the best team in world rugby the last 2 years.  

Unfortunately the last two years count for nothing in knock out rugby

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:06 pm

Mcsweens wrote:Hate to say it but Sexton showed his relative decline tonight. Mo'unga and Beauden were on a different level.

A fair point - in that last 10 mins he was just shoveling the ball on, and that pen miss was a bad one.

RDW
Founder
Founder

theslosty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:07 pm

It's always the case that a tournament like the WC will result in disappointment.  Ireland were in a selection of 4 that thought stood a real good chance of a win but it comes down to a bit of luck as well. For me the second best in the world so you're going to have a good few years ahead.

Last edited by No 7&1/2 on Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:07 pm

I fear Ireland may never get another chance as good as this to have won a world cup.  They really have been the best team in world rugby the last 2 years.  

I don’t know… they’ve still got Leinster and some good U20 teams.

It is disheartening that the NH teams come up short in the KO stages again. Even Arg have been a great KO stages team on a few occasions. Let’s see what France can bring.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:09 pm

First off well done New Zealand.
That’s a tough loss to take. Couple of silly pens given away. Being held up over the line.

8 points behind and to come back to a point, thought we could have nicked it.
I think nerves played a part in the early stages of the game.
New Zealand got into their groove early on and rocked us perhaps.

They are an awesome side and did well when down to 14.

What might have been. Yet again we fail at the quarter final stage.
Tough one to take again.

Thought O’Brien looked decent when he came on.
Ah well.

Hard luck to us and good luck to New Zealand. Some team. Enjoy the rest of the tournament kiwis.

westisbest

Taylorman, Galted and Collapse2005 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:10 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Woohoo, great game from both sides. Massive for the ABs to get this side who don’t know how to lose. All heart.
Kia Kaha!

Yup the nz side are so slow they don't remember any day longer than 35 days ago.

Wtf is this comment about??? Have a word with yourself 7.5!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:11 pm

RDW wrote:
Mcsweens wrote:Hate to say it but Sexton showed his relative decline tonight. Mo'unga and Beauden were on a different level.

A fair point - in that last 10 mins he was just shoveling the ball on, and that pen miss was a bad one.

Ah here he missed one pen, so did NZ after he missed his.

He had a good game and championship and can hold his head high. Great player.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:11 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
RDW wrote:

Commiserations Collapse, I know you must be hurting.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:13 pm

As Kiwis say the sun will still rise tomorrow and perhaps at the very least they will know now we are a serious side. Im proud of this Ireland side I hope they are too.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:14 pm

Old Man wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
RDW wrote:

Thank you, it doesnt hurt as much when you stay in the fight against a hell of a team and I thought they did.

Collapse2005

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:14 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

I don’t know… they’ve still got Leinster and some good U20 teams.

It is disheartening that the NH teams come up short in the KO stages again. Even Arg have been a great KO stages team on a few occasions. Let’s see what France can bring.

I'm not so sure. That was a pretty special Ireland squad. Could be decades before Ireland produce another national team like that one again? They had some really special players in that squad.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:16 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Old Man wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
RDW wrote:

Thank you, it doesnt hurt as much when you stay in the fight against a hell of a team and I thought they did.

Yes Ireland gave it their all. The result was as close as it could get,

Old Man

king_carlos and Collapse2005 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:16 pm

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Kia Kaha!

Wtf is this comment about??? Have a word with yourself 7.5!
Erm....

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:28 pm

A few are getting really precious over Ireland’s response to the haka. Didn’t think it was disrespectful tbh.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:32 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:A few are getting really precious over Ireland’s response to the haka. Didn’t think it was disrespectful tbh.

What the Frak was Smith holding in his hands during the Haka? What next shaking actual spears? Scotland bringing on some broadswords and claymores? No doubt an item of immense cultural significance.

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:39 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:A few are getting really precious over Ireland’s response to the haka. Didn’t think it was disrespectful tbh.

Any reaction is never disrespectful. We’ve seen it all and take all comers. We appreciate it’s an inherently NZ thing and overseas the cultural aspect can be lost. For anyone who has performed Haka it’s introspective. It’s about personal values and not designed to intimidate — no matter how it appears to do exactly that. It’s about respect, for the game, the opposition and oneself. We practice it out of respect for who we play.

Taylorman

mikey_dragon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:45 pm

Mcsweens wrote:

What the Frak was Smith holding in his hands during the Haka? What next shaking actual spears? Scotland bringing on some broadswords and claymores? No doubt an item of immense cultural significance.

Was wondering myself. I think the next step is to kill one of their own players to show their opponents they mean business.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:47 pm

Old Man wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Old Man wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
RDW wrote:

Was great. Have not seen a defence like it from the Irish, Fk it was annoying. No idea how we won that to be honest.
What a test match.
Ten quarter losses it must be said. Those who said it’s not about history might wanna rethink that.
Today proved EVERYTHING is about history.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:48 pm

Unfortunately agree, most of the match he was just ambling along. If we'd a more experienced option on the bench he may well have been replaced
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:52 pm

theslosty wrote:
Unfortunately agree, most of the match he was just ambling along. If we'd a more experienced option on the bench he may well have been replaced

Like Paddy Jackson. I'll get my coat

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:54 pm

Superbad is on BBC1 just now, and I've had a few beers.

Apparently Blair Kinghorn is called "McLovin" in the Edinburgh team. Not because he's a ladies man or anything, just cos he's a bit weird.

Gary Ringrose reminds me of Evan, and Finlay Bealam is Seth.

Last edited by Mcsweens on Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:55 pm

theslosty wrote:

That chip and "chase" towards the end was a bit unfortunate

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:57 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Old Man wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Old Man wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
RDW wrote:

Was great. Have not seen a defence like it from the Irish, Fk it was annoying. No idea how we won that to be honest.
What a test match.
Ten quarter losses it must be said. Those who said it’s not about history might wanna rethink that.

Still dont think it was that relevant, two good sides there has to be a loser.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:58 pm

In the old days, after a match like that, one would simply say: THAT was a proper test match!

doctor_grey

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 14 Oct 2023, 10:58 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Kia Kaha!

Thanks for contributing

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 14 Oct 2023, 11:42 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Old Man wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Old Man wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
RDW wrote:

Of course

What a test match.

Still dont think it was that relevant, two good sides there has to be a loser.

Of course it’s relevant. Ireland lost after 17 wins in a tenth quarter final loss. It means they go four years wondering if they can ever do it being number one and 17 wins- then WHEN CAN THEY?
History is everything.. because that’s all you have.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 14 Oct 2023, 11:46 pm

Old Man wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Old Man wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
RDW wrote:

2-0 to the south. Long may it continue. Good to see kiwis getting all the tries today too. 🤣

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 14 Oct 2023, 11:55 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Old Man wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Old Man wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
RDW wrote:

2-0 to the south. Long may it continue. Good to see kiwis getting all the tries today too. 🤣

I feel that the NH will win both semis tomorrow.

NZ vs France again in the final.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 15 Oct 2023, 5:34 am

What a game.....congrats to NZ, bad times Ireland.

Not wumming, but all this talk pre-game about the quarter-final curse not being a thing......it's a thing. Ireland would beat this (relatively average NZ side for a NZ side) 9 times out of 10 in different circumstances. I honestly think the occasion got to them and thy choked under pressure, I'm sorry to say.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 15 Oct 2023, 6:10 am

Commiserations to Ireland fans. If it’s any consolation I wouldn’t feel too down this week. The future is very good for Irish rugby. Even last night Ireland were millimetres from winning what could well have been a RWC final. The calmness of Ireland on such an occasion, despite the game not going their way for large parts, showed how far they’ve come since the Joe Schmidt era. You could tell the players gave it their all.

bsando

Collapse2005 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Oct 2023, 7:15 am

Commiserations Ireland. An impressive team that has grown into a confident force 👏🏼

That knock on from an AB goal line drop kick was crucial and let us off the hook. Unlucky Ireland and shame this was a 1/4 as they’re better than a 1/4 exit. The backline made ground easily at times and retained possession well. Reverted to shovelling the ball in the last phase and that was costly. Were either knackered, too conservative or angling for a pen and kick to corner for a maul? Anyways, proud of the ABs for being patient and not doing anything stupid in that critical time. Great game, tense as heck, and will enjoy the highlights more knowing the final score.

ps. And shout out to Wayne Barnes and both teams for a flowing game

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next