The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wayne Barnes Announces His Retirement

4 posters

Go down

Wayne Barnes Announces His Retirement Empty Wayne Barnes Announces His Retirement

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 02 Nov 2023, 1:45 pm

https://twitter.com/WayneBarnesRef/status/1720049940980814087

“Over the past 20 years, I have been in the middle of some of the greatest rugby matches in history.”

“I have seen some of the world’s best players and worked with some of the finest coaches the game has ever produced. Last Saturday, I was privileged to referee the Rugby World Cup final between two of the most iconic teams in sport; the All Blacks and the Springboks. People often say you will know when it is the right time to retire, and this is clearly the right time for me and for my family.

“My children have missed out on time with their dad for far too long and I am now looking forward to family weekends, sports matches, school assemblies and birthday parties. My wife, Polly, has sacrificed more than anyone so that I have been able to achieve some of my personal goals. While I have been away most weekends and for decent chunks of the year, she has had to juggle being an amazing mum with two active children, along with holding down a hugely successful career of her own.”

“I will continue to advocate for referees and work closely with the International Rugby Match Officials association to ensure match officials across the globe not only have a collective voice but also the appropriate support network for them and their families, particularly as online abuse and threats have become far too regular for all of those involved in the game,” he added.

“I am extremely proud that my career has spanned five Rugby World Cups, 26 Six Nations matches, three European Champions Cup finals and 10 Premiership finals, and I’m grateful for all of those who have helped me along the way, in particular, Chris White, Tony Spreadbury, Brian Campsall, Nigel Yates and Phil Keith-Roach. It’s been an incredible journey.”

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Wayne Barnes Announces His Retirement Empty Re: Wayne Barnes Announces His Retirement

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 02 Nov 2023, 3:06 pm

Out at the top. He's been the best in the world for me for at least 8 years.

No 7&1/2

lostinwales, carpet baboon and Morgan75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Wayne Barnes Announces His Retirement Empty Re: Wayne Barnes Announces His Retirement

Post by George Carlin Thu 02 Nov 2023, 7:02 pm

Barnes became my favourite ref the moment that he red carded Dylan Hartley instantaneously for calling him a 'f##king cheat'.

I can't help but wonder whether moronic social media abuse meant that he stepped down early. I'm not sure how much refs at that level get paid but he'd be justified in thinking that it's not enough to warrant all of the off-the-field nonsense that comes with the job these days.

I'm hoping we'll still see him at the occasional Prem game. It's hard to give up completely. Nigel Owens has a great true story that his first professional engagement after refereeing the last RWC final was something like Aberavon v Cross Keys in the Welsh Premier. All of the players were giving him sass which he said was hilarious. A ref is a ref.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 03 Nov 2023, 1:24 pm

Great guy and ref. The list of ref’s doesn’t look as good with Barnes now gone. O’Keefe stepped up well in the RWC, but his view benefits SH teams the most.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down