The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Schmidt to Wallabies

+4
mountain man
bsando
westisbest
hugehandoff
8 posters

Go down

Joe Schmidt to Wallabies Empty Joe Schmidt to Wallabies

Post by hugehandoff Fri 19 Jan 2024, 1:10 pm

This looks like an excellent appointment for the Green & Gold. It is only until the end of the Lions tour, but with his track record I can see this being extended to the RWC in Aus. After all the turmoil with Eddie Joe is probably as good an appointment as there could be. As much as I love to laugh at Aus we do need them being a force in rugby again. They have not won the Bledisloe in like a thousand years and rugby in Aus is struggling with little buy-in to their super rugby teams. A strong Wallabies is needed especially with the Lions and the RWC in the next 4 years. Hopefully we win an excellent and closely fought Lions series and then Eng win the RWC by beating the Wallabies in their own final again.

Good luck Joe!

hugehandoff

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Joe Schmidt to Wallabies Empty Re: Joe Schmidt to Wallabies

Post by westisbest Fri 19 Jan 2024, 9:49 pm

Good appointment and think he will do a decent job.

Agree that be good to see Australia back amongst the big guns again.

westisbest

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 22 Jan 2024, 10:13 am

I’m glad they appointed Schmidt. Australian players always play with flare but Schmidt will bring better discipline and structure to the team. They could be shooting back up the rankings before the Lions tour kicks off.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Mon 22 Jan 2024, 10:48 am

Scmidt should do a good job but I think Rennie was hard done by. He's a decent bloke by all accounts.

Australia need to get act together and asap otherwise Lions tour could be a horror show.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Jan 2024, 11:01 am

Good appointment. My only reservation about the appointment as an adopted Wallaby is he's not exactly fully commited to the role. Only a 2 year deal, he's basically said his job is to get the Wallabies better so an Aussie coach can take over, and most significantly he's going to still be based in NZ during the Super Rugby season for family reasons (his boy has bad epilepsy apparently). By all accounts his success in Ireland was based on getting deeply embedded in all aspects of Irish rugby culture. That's not really going to be possible when you're across the Tasman.

Still, probably the best they could have hoped for, and if he is allowed to bring in the assistants he wants we should see a signing upturn from the Wallabies.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 24 Jan 2024, 2:33 pm

RDW wrote:Good appointment. My only reservation about the appointment as an adopted Wallaby is he's not exactly fully commited to the role. Only a 2 year deal, he's basically said his job is to get the Wallabies better so an Aussie coach can take over, and most significantly he's going to still be based in NZ during the Super Rugby season for family reasons (his boy has bad epilepsy apparently). By all accounts his success in Ireland was based on getting deeply embedded in all aspects of Irish rugby culture. That's not really going to be possible when you're across the Tasman.

Still, probably the best they could have hoped for, and if he is allowed to bring in the assistants he wants we should see a signing upturn from the Wallabies.

its a good point however, I feel like Schmidt could be stationed on the moon and do a better job than Jones.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 24 Jan 2024, 3:24 pm

It's probably not going to make much difference where he's based as long as he actually makes an effort to get over and see the players. You can pretty drive from one end of Ireland to the other in 5 hours, the nearest two Super Rugby sides in Australia (Tahs and Brumbies are more than three hours apart). He'll have to fly to each city individually to meet the players etc anyway. Not like we can do a meet up at one side in the morning and another in the afternoon.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 26 Jan 2024, 12:56 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
RDW wrote:Good appointment. My only reservation about the appointment as an adopted Wallaby is he's not exactly fully commited to the role. Only a 2 year deal, he's basically said his job is to get the Wallabies better so an Aussie coach can take over, and most significantly he's going to still be based in NZ during the Super Rugby season for family reasons (his boy has bad epilepsy apparently). By all accounts his success in Ireland was based on getting deeply embedded in all aspects of Irish rugby culture. That's not really going to be possible when you're across the Tasman.

its a good point however, I feel like Schmidt could be stationed on the moon and do a better job than Jones.
Have to agree with this! I certainly agree this is a good signing.

doctor_grey

Collapse2005 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down