The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland Post 6N status

5 posters

Go down

Scotland Post 6N status Empty Scotland Post 6N status

Post by Boston Exile Mon 18 Mar 2024, 12:48 am

Taking stock of where we are at the end of a disappointing 6 Nations. We have played inconsistently, not always with great intelligence or obvious plan, but have some some really good/great players and reasons for some optimism.

Our 1st choice pack is very decent, most issues are at prop where we need stronger back up to Fagerson and Schoeman. Bhatti and Sutherland should provide that on LH but not so good options on TH.

Hookers are generally good/okay but just wish our lineouts throwing was a bit more consistent.

In the 2nd Row I rate Cummings but miss the Grays. Always liked Skinner but he has started to give away too many penalties (fixable) and feel he's lost some go-forward. We need some grunt to go with the giraffes. Will be interesting to see how Carmichael settles in at Edinburgh. Most lineouts went well, which makes yesterday's give away try even more frustrating.

Backrow finished well, happy with Christie, Darge, Dempsey and Fagerson. Crosbie also very good before getting crocked. Ritchie was not 100% this 6N but signs of him getting back there against England. Would like to see Bayliss get another chance and maybe Bradbury too (but GT probably won't). Despite the above positivity, over the 6N I was disappointed by the turnovers won and conceded, think a younger Hamish Watson would have improved things. Has he been discarded too soon?

1st choice half-backs are excellent but too big a drop off to Horne (can be very good but lacks some game management/maturity) and Healy plays a very different type of game. Hope Adam Hastings comes back fit and adds a bit to his tackling.

Thought the centres were generally good/very good, if we lack anything it is the turnover ability and the ability to retain possession that some centres (see Italy and Ireland) have. Overall though ST, HJ, SM and, although he's had some weaker moments, CR are a strong set.

In the back 3, VDM can wreck carnage, needs to improve his link play and time with the ball but damn he's good. Steyn gets fully involved and is as good in attack as defence. In some regards maybe even our best all round winger. With Graham to come back in our wing position is good.
Full back worries me a bit more, I remain unconvinced by BK, he can do good things but is way too casual and guilty of multiple brain farts in any one game. My one hope is Toulouse sort him out, if he doesn't improve he'll be a bench warmer for them (especially when N'tmack back). Rowe I thought was excellent when given his chance and Paterson too (and both are/were primarily wingers). I'd have them as our preferred guys and don't think we missed Smith at all (Smith needs a little less arrogance and a bit more focus, he is over-rated as things stand).

The elephant in the room is obvious, attitude and mental strength. We need to believe in each other, we can put 15 guys on the field who will make it difficult for any team. We also give too many teams the chance to get the edge on us for far too long in every game. It's got to change or this will be the era of "might have beens".

Much can change before the Americas tour in July so will not conject too much, especially as it'll probably be a development squad.

Boston Exile

EST likes this post

Back to top Go down

Scotland Post 6N status Empty Re: Scotland Post 6N status

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 18 Mar 2024, 7:39 am

Full back, would it be worth putting Hastings there when he returns from injury or getting him to Glasgow to primarily play there and flyhalf second? As I recall he put in a good display when he played FB at international level and it's better converting that way than the other way!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 18 Mar 2024, 8:52 am

NeilyBroon wrote:Full back, would it be worth putting Hastings there when he returns from injury or getting him to Glasgow to primarily play there and flyhalf second? As I recall he put in a good display when he played FB at international level and it's better converting that way than the other way!

I thought it was an automatic ban on this sub to move players out of position purely to fill a need after Kebble, Matt Scott, Blair Kinghorn, Jon Welsh and Chris Paterson having their careers impacted to various degrees?

After messing up Blane's development, hopefully Patterson gets enough playing time to push through. I view him as a FB rather than wing. Wing is where we are still short after McLean turned out to be a vile idiot.

On the development tour, I can see Patterson being given a couples of starts with Smith out of commission and Kinghorn likely rested. Rowe was good there but agree he is a wing and we can try Reed on the other wing. May be a bit on the light side physically though we will not be short of pace.

TH is a huge issue. I can see us taking Norrie over the summer tour with Sebastian and maybe Nel to provide a bit of experience. Otherwise, I am not really sure where we go at the minute. Millar-Mills is very much a stopgap. Rae and McCallum are not rated, and are probably in their physical primes so unlikely to kick on. Walker has been injured for what feels like forever. Nicol is doing well at Championship level but doubt he will get another shot to see if he can be a top tier club player. Not sure what the story is on Mak Wilson though pretty sure he has been injured. Anyone dominating the Super Six?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 18 Mar 2024, 9:03 am

Over 10 years of 606 and still coming up with nonsensical ideas, it's a wonder I haven't been banned!

Agreed Paterson is the future and should have the bulk of game time, it was just an open speculation that maybe as a utility sub Hastings would serve us better.

Has reed mcspeed played fullback?

Sadly we may see McLean in a USA rugby jersey next world cup. Maybe they're looking to recruit Paddy Jackson at fly half as well.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Mon 18 Mar 2024, 1:54 pm

It's refreshing in this day and age for the SRU to have the integrity to drop McLean. Having said that after a rehabilitation period (and actions) I'd consider McLean (my Mum used to say the only mistakes that are unforgiveable are those made twice) but any aberration and it's a sine die exclusion. If the USA want to overlook it then that's up to them but I'm very happy with the SRU position. He may not make it back in the squad even if the exclusion is lifted.

Back to rugby and the wingers, the French had no issue picking smaller wingers, if they were the best players. I remember Dominici standing up to Lomu in 1999. Darcy Graham may be smallish but he's strong, defends well and can score a try past 3 defenders in a phone box. It's nice if your wingers are big but speed, skills, agility and a rugby brain are the top attributes.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Mon 18 Mar 2024, 8:36 pm

It's amazing how many small back 3 players are in the T14.
For example, Brice Dulin is built like a gymnast and has a similar power to weight ratio.
I remember watching the 2016 T14 final season in Barcelona when Dulin got hit late by Romain Taufifanea.
He smashed him with his full 135 kg against Dulin's 82 kg.
Dulin was clearly winded, stayed down for 5 seconds, checked his ribs were intact and sprang back his feet and into the defensive line.
Unbelievable toughness.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 18 Mar 2024, 11:37 pm

I'd describe the 6Ns as a rollercoaster ride with the ups being our customary win over England and the topsy turvy win in Cardiff for the first time in an awful long time plus lows such as the France robbery and the Italy result but I do see some progress to be able to continue to back Gregor FOR NOW but his comments on Saturday were as baffling to me as they were to Radio Scotland pundit Colin Gregor!!

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas of what the summer tour squad may look like because I'm certain top players such as Finn etc will be rested and opportunities for players such as Arron Reed and perhaps Gus Warr will open up Smile. I don't know a single thing about the youngsters such as Norrie or Deans etc so may need help with that :P.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down