The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Round 13 (I think)

+6
mountain man
Heaf
Recwatcher16
doctor_grey
formerly known as Sam
WELL-PAST-IT
10 posters

Go down

Round 13 (I think) Empty Round 13 (I think)

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 21 Mar 2024, 2:29 pm

All back to the day jobs after the 6N, Saints play Bristol Bears in Bristol. they have chosen a mixed side with a number of inexperienced players coming it such as Archie McParland and George Hendy along with a lot of old heads. Alex Waller if/when he comes off the bench will have run up 370 appearances for Saints, phenomenal in todays modern professional game.

The side for tomorrow:
15 George Hendy
14 James Ramm
13 Burger Odendaal
12 Rory Hutchinson
11 Ollie Sleightholme
10 Fin Smith
9 Archie McParland

1 Emmanuel Iyogun
2 Sam Matavesi
3 Trevor Davison
4 Temo Mayanavanua
5 Alex Coles
6 Courtney Lawes
7 Lewis Ludlam (c)
8 Sam Graham

Replacements:
16 Curtis Langdon
17 Alex Waller
18 Paul Hill
19 Tom Lockett
20 Juarno Augustus
21 Jake Garside
22 Fraser Dingwall
23 Tom Litchfield

That bench could make all the difference if it is tight.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Round 13 (I think) Empty Re: Round 13 (I think)

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 21 Mar 2024, 5:17 pm

Tigers take on Glaws at Welford Road. Stronger Tigers team than last weekend with the significant bonus of JvP returning.

STARTING XV

15 Freddie Steward [81]
14 Josh Bassett [13]
13 Dan Kelly [76]
12 Solomone Kata [13]
11 Ollie Hassell-Collins [15]
10 Handré Pollard [27]
9 Ben Youngs [312]
1 James Cronin [28]
2 Julián Montoya [53]
3 Dan Cole [317]
4 Harry Wells [192
5 Ollie Chessum [53]
6 Hanro Liebenberg [101]
7 Tommy Reffell [109]
8 Jasper Wiese [72]

REPLACEMENTS

16 Finn Theobald-Thomas [9]
17 James Whitcombe [48]
18 Joe Heyes [138]
19 Kyle Hatherell [16]
20 Olly Cracknell [36]
21 Jack van Poortvliet [66]
22 Jamie Shillcock [21]
23 Phil Cokanasiga [13]

Gloucester Rugby team news
15. Lloyd Evans
14. Jonny May*
13. Max Llewellyn
12. Seb Atkinson*
11. Josh Hathaway*
10. Santi Carreras
9. Stephen Varney*
1. Mayco Vivas
2. Seb Blake*
3. Kirill Gotovtsev
4. Freddie Clarke*
5. Cam Jordan*
6. Ruan Ackermann (C)
7. Jack Clement*
8. Zach Mercer

Replacements

16. Adam McBurney**
17. Harry Elrington
18. Jamal Ford-Robinson
19. Arthur Clark*
20. Freddie Thomas
21. Albert Tuisue
22. Charlie Chapman*
23. Chris Harris

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 22 Mar 2024, 11:54 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:All back to the day jobs after the 6N, Saints play Bristol Bears in Bristol. they have chosen a mixed side with a number of inexperienced players coming it such as Archie McParland and George Hendy along with a lot of old heads. Alex Waller if/when he comes off the bench will have run up 370 appearances for Saints, phenomenal in todays modern professional game.

The side for tomorrow:
15 George Hendy
14 James Ramm
13 Burger Odendaal
12 Rory Hutchinson
11 Ollie Sleightholme
10 Fin Smith
9 Archie McParland

1 Emmanuel Iyogun
2 Sam Matavesi
3 Trevor Davison
4 Temo Mayanavanua
5 Alex Coles
6 Courtney Lawes
7 Lewis Ludlam (c)
8 Sam Graham

Replacements:
16 Curtis Langdon
17 Alex Waller
18 Paul Hill
19 Tom Lockett
20 Juarno Augustus
21 Jake Garside
22 Fraser Dingwall
23 Tom Litchfield

This is a fascinating team.  The pack looks pretty strong with a really good back row.  Archie McP facing Harry Randall will be interesting, especially with Archie just coming back from the U20 Six Nations.  The back line could be good, but not sure how Hendy and Ramm will fare.  Also looking forward to seeing Litchfield and Lockett come on and make an impact again.

Only caveat is a mid-season break like this leaves a lot of unknowns about how teams will get up to speed for the last third of the season.  I think a number of the games, if not all, will depend on how teams were able to get back to their cutting edge.  It is certainly not a given that any team will simply pick up where they left off.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Fri 22 Mar 2024, 1:07 pm

Bath Rugby: 1 Beno Obano, 2 Tom Dunn, 3 Thomas du Toit, 4 Quinn Roux, 5 Charlie Ewels, 6 Ted Hill, 7 Sam Underhill, 8 Alfie Barbeary, 9 Ben Spencer (c), 10 Finn Russell, 11 Will Muir, 12 Cameron Redpath, 13 Ollie Lawrence, 14 Joe Cokanasiga, 15 Matt Gallagher

Replacements: 16 Niall Annett, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 Archie Griffin, 19 Elliott Stooke, 20 Miles Reid, 21 Louis Schreuder, 22 Orlando Bailey, 23 Jaco Coetzee

Lot of test experience in that first XV and the back row is a pretty thunderous combination but then they will need it against Sale.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 22 Mar 2024, 1:19 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:All back to the day jobs after the 6N, Saints play Bristol Bears in Bristol. they have chosen a mixed side with a number of inexperienced players coming it such as Archie McParland and George Hendy along with a lot of old heads. Alex Waller if/when he comes off the bench will have run up 370 appearances for Saints, phenomenal in todays modern professional game.

The side for tomorrow:
15 George Hendy
14 James Ramm
13 Burger Odendaal
12 Rory Hutchinson
11 Ollie Sleightholme
10 Fin Smith
9 Archie McParland

1 Emmanuel Iyogun
2 Sam Matavesi
3 Trevor Davison
4 Temo Mayanavanua
5 Alex Coles
6 Courtney Lawes
7 Lewis Ludlam (c)
8 Sam Graham

Replacements:
16 Curtis Langdon
17 Alex Waller
18 Paul Hill
19 Tom Lockett
20 Juarno Augustus
21 Jake Garside
22 Fraser Dingwall
23 Tom Litchfield

This is a fascinating team.  The pack looks pretty strong with a really good back row.  Archie McP facing Harry Randall will be interesting, especially with Archie just coming back from the U20 Six Nations.  The back line could be good, but not sure how Hendy and Ramm will fare.  Also looking forward to seeing Litchfield and Lockett come on and make an impact again.

Only caveat is a mid-season break like this leaves a lot of unknowns about how teams will get up to speed for the last third of the season.  I think a number of the games, if not all, will depend on how teams were able to get back to their cutting edge.  It is certainly not a given that any team will simply pick up where they left off.

The front row worries me a bit, but the back 5 are very solid. As you say McP vs Randall will be interesting, McP looked like a younger Mitchell for the U20, very long relief kicking and box kicks that went high enough to allow the chasers to get underneath them and make good ground. His pass away from the breakdown is also very long and quick.

I could see and would like to see a complete centre change over soon after half time, Dingwall seems to be able to get Litchfield into the space where he does damage, would be good to see them swap occasionally with Litchfield coming into the 12 spot and using his power and pace.

The bench front row looks a lot stronger than the starting one; is their some method in the selection I cannot see?

WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 22 Mar 2024, 1:54 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:The bench front row looks a lot stronger than the starting one; is their some method in the selection I cannot see?
I agree, the reserve front row is somewhat stronger than the first front row.  But I think it is rather close.  The starting from row is probably more mobile. I think Langdon throws into the lineout more accurately than Matavesi, plus he is more of a power runner, Sam is more balanced.  

Also agree with you, I would like to see Litchfield play off Dingwall.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 23 Mar 2024, 1:26 am

Well a couple of interesting results to start the weekend .... not sure why Mr Carley refused to go back for a Tigers pen in the first minute or so when the TMO pointed out his error, instead saying it was too late even though play hadn't restarted.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 23 Mar 2024, 8:13 am

Harry Randall looking sharp as ever. Hope Borthwick was watching.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 23 Mar 2024, 9:38 am

Heaf wrote:Well a couple of interesting results to start the weekend .... not sure why Mr Carley refused to go back for a Tigers pen in the first minute or so when the TMO pointed out his error, instead saying it was too late even though play hadn't restarted.

He did seem on a mission to try and keep the game moving at tempo. That was a poor bit officiating but generally he was actually very good. Communicated clearly with the players at the breakdown which kept the game moving and limited the number of penalties.

Seb Blake the stand out for me. Criminal he wasn't given man of the match. Created two of Glaws tries through line breaks, solid at set piece and played the full 80 mins. Impressively mobile for an 18 stone hooker. Definitely one for both now and the future.

JvP created a try with a beautiful bit of skill on his return. A bit rusty but played well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 23 Mar 2024, 3:27 pm

Gee, Quins defense looks terrible. Saracens with three tries with less than 20 mins on the clock.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 23 Mar 2024, 3:33 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Gee, Quins defense looks terrible.  Saracens with three tries with less than 20 mins on the clock.  
Not just their defense, dude. Their attack is so uncoordinated it looks like they couldn't organise the proverbial pish-up in a brewery.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 23 Mar 2024, 3:38 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Gee, Quins defense looks terrible.  Saracens with three tries with less than 20 mins on the clock.  
Not just their defense, dude.  Their attack is so uncoordinated it looks like they couldn't organise the proverbial pish-up in a brewery.
Plonker, it is the defense (or lack thereof) which is the bigger problem. They just gave Saracens their fourth try in less than 30 minutes.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 23 Mar 2024, 3:39 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
Not just their defense, dude.  Their attack is so uncoordinated it looks like they couldn't organise the proverbial pish-up in a brewery.
Plonker, it is the defense (or lack thereof) which is the bigger problem.  They just gave Saracens their fourth try in less than 30 minutes.  
Well, at least we can agree that Quins look like (in German) Scheiß.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 23 Mar 2024, 3:39 pm

24-0 after 28 minutes

Think I saw a Saracens player rubbing the head of a beaten Quins defender for that last try. There's no love lost between these two teams.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 23 Mar 2024, 3:44 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
Plonker, it is the defense (or lack thereof) which is the bigger problem.  They just gave Saracens their fourth try in less than 30 minutes.  
Well, at least we can agree that Quins look like (in German) Scheiß.

Are you ok Doc?

carpet baboon

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 23 Mar 2024, 3:44 pm

You sure the Saracen wasn't just petting the head of the Quins player like petting the head of a lost stray dog?

doctor_grey

Rugby Fan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 23 Mar 2024, 4:07 pm

At this rate, Quins will come out having somehow manged to concede two more tries during the half-time break.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 23 Mar 2024, 4:11 pm

Could be 50 at this rate

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 23 Mar 2024, 4:41 pm

Heaf wrote:Could be 50 at this rate
It's getting real close. Still 10 minutes to go.

doctor_grey

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 23 Mar 2024, 4:42 pm

Is that the TMO you can hear complaining about them showing the challenge that caused a mini kick-off?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 23 Mar 2024, 4:46 pm

I din't hear anything, but I have been in and out in the yard so may have missed it.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 23 Mar 2024, 4:50 pm

There was a lot of low volume background chat that sounded like the TMO - he clearly saw the challenge but was saying the problem now is that it will look like Healey (Austin) instigated it - presumably talking about if they reviewed it it would look like they were influenced by the commentary. Poor show if they didn't review it just to avoid 'looking bad' ....

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 23 Mar 2024, 4:59 pm

Not a great advertisement for the Premiership in a free-to-air game for it to be so one sided, which is a shame because everything else about the fixture was well done.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 23 Mar 2024, 7:20 pm

One of the best performances I've seen in along time in the prem.

The power, pace, precision etc etc by Saracens..wow.

And Farrell took the opportunity to stick two fingers ups at his critics...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 23 Mar 2024, 8:42 pm

Quins were pretty woeful. Sarries brutally clinical. I can't imagine the review on Monday will be much fun for the Quins players and staff.

Ominous display of power from Sarries as we approach the business end of the season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 24 Mar 2024, 1:53 pm

Really seemed to me Quins were not there mentally.  Only in the tight when things happen around one quickly did Quins seems to be completely switched on.  After the first few of those tries scored around the fringe of Quins defense, it was clear this was going to be a long afternoon for them. I don't think Saracens did anything off-the-charts, just got it wide a few times and Quins were done.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 24 Mar 2024, 3:02 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I din't hear anything, but I have been in and out in the yard so may have missed it.

TMO looking the other way to not 'look bad' ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 24 Mar 2024, 3:25 pm

Nice try by Bath

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 25 Mar 2024, 2:59 pm

This try by Ollie Sleightholme is plain ridiculous.

https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/news/lewisludlam-rugby-reaction-bristol-saints-away-23.24

You have to scroll down through the first couple of paragraphs of text.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 25 Mar 2024, 8:21 pm

It was a nice finish from Sleightholme. He's a powerful runner.

https://youtu.be/4rCrg6JriI8?si=ytcISKUCsP6HkfSK

Highlights from Tigers throwing it away Vs Glaws. Worth looking out for the contributions to the first and third Glaws tries from hooker Seb Blake who makes the initial break and then as the play comes back across shows deft hands to create the space for Mercer. Then makes the break and passes to Varney to run under the sticks. For an 18 stone unit of a hooker that boy can shift and has some good hands. Could be a bolter for England honours if he carries on like that.

On around 2.35 in the highlights is JvP's skillful little offload that creates Tigers TBP score. A welcome return and he's definitely still got it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down