The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland's Summer Tour of the Americas

+5
mikey_dragon
Hazel Sapling
doctor_grey
NeilyBroon
bsando
9 posters

Go down

Scotland's Summer Tour of the Americas  Empty Scotland's Summer Tour of the Americas

Post by bsando Sat 06 Apr 2024, 1:18 pm

North American Fixtures

Saturday 6 July: Canada v Scotland, TD Place, Ottawa

Friday 12 July: USA v Scotland, Audi Field, Washington DC

South American Fixtures

Saturday 20 July: Chile v Scotland, Estadio Nacional, Santiago

Saturday 27 July: Uruguay v Scotland, Estadio Charrúa, Montevideo

Opposition World Rankings

Canada 21st
USA 17th
Chile 23rd
Uruguay 18th

Scotland Squad

[TBC]

Talking Points

Primed to be a development tour, Scotland will face four sides outside the top ten ranked rugby teams in world rugby.  

Despite a poor World Cup and a poor Six Nations, Scotland will have an opportunity to develop fringe players. Who knows, perhaps we will have a bolter or two link up with the squad?

With Glasgow flying high in the URC it is highly likely that many soon to be capped players will come from the Warriors camp.

With Russell and Darge being Co-Captains for the Six Nations will we see a new Captain selected to lead the squad this Summer?

Which players will most likely be rested and not be a part of the touring squad?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland's Summer Tour of the Americas  Empty Re: Scotland's Summer Tour of the Americas

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 06 Apr 2024, 3:53 pm

bsando wrote:North American Fixtures

Saturday 6 July: Canada v Scotland, TD Place, Ottawa

Friday 12 July: USA v Scotland, Audi Field, Washington DC

South American Fixtures

Saturday 20 July: Chile v Scotland, Estadio Nacional, Santiago

Saturday 27 July: Uruguay v Scotland, Estadio Charrúa, Montevideo

Opposition World Rankings

Canada 21st
USA 17th
Chile 23rd
Uruguay 18th

Scotland Squad

[TBC]

Talking Points

Primed to be a development tour, Scotland will face four sides outside the top ten ranked rugby teams in world rugby.  

Despite a poor World Cup and a poor Six Nations, Scotland will have an opportunity to develop fringe players. Who knows, perhaps we will have a bolter or two link up with the squad?

With Glasgow flying high in the URC it is highly likely that many soon to be capped players will come from the Warriors camp.

With Russell and Darge being Co-Captains for the Six Nations will we see a new Captain selected to lead the squad this Summer?

Which players will most likely be rested and not be a part of the touring squad?

My money is on Russell being rested along with Ben white, Shug, Tuipolotu and Kinghorn. All will have key involvement with their clubs in the final run up.

Hastings to make a return from injury maybe?

Thompson to be given a run out to try and improve his credentials, his jersey seems to be on a shoogly peg.

This leaves Healy as our first choice flyhalf.

Paterson has the 15 shirt, could push Ollie smith out of contention, or even Kinghorn given his recent gaffs.

Gus warr to be approached, Ashfar to be capped, speedy reedy to be capped, hiddleston, Williamson and the Thane of Cawdor.

Mbawza may get a chance to captain again to provide experience, alternatively could we see a Stafford lordship?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Scotland's Summer Tour of the Americas  Empty Re: Scotland's Summer Tour of the Americas

Post by doctor_grey Sat 06 Apr 2024, 8:33 pm

A number of people and props from my club are going to Washington for the USA-Scotland match.  Haven't decided if I want to go yet, but if someone arranges a bus, then I will be there cheering for......

Also, forgot to mention, Finn Russell went off with what may have been a groin (from just watching him shuffle off). Hopefully just a twinge, but he looked quite uncomfortable.

doctor_grey

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 08 Apr 2024, 2:08 pm

Still a while away but pretty much most of the RWC squad should not be on this tour. They have not had a proper break in two years. Exceptions should be for forwards who had injuries keeping them out a few months or backs who saw minimal time.

My preliminary squad would be (young player going for exp)

LH: Hepburn, McBeth, M Jones?, Smyth
HK: Matthews, Hiddelston, Fraser/Harrison
TH: Sebastian, McCallum, Walker/Hurd, Norrie
LK: J Gray, McDonald, Williamson, Sykes, Hodgson
BR: Crosbie, Bayliss, Bradbury, Gordon, Ferrie/Brown, Muncaster

SH: Dobie, Vellacott, Warr
FH: Healy, Thomson, Jordan (if qualified)
Centres: McDowall, Lang, Currie, Hutchinson
Back Three: Steyn, Rowe, Patterson, Reed, Maitland

Probably have a couple of injuries in there but think that has some experienced players to provide the standard and still allows the vast majority of the RWC squad a break

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 08 Apr 2024, 2:47 pm

Alex Craig as well? He was linked with a relocation back to Scotland to play for one of your clubs, anyone heard anything?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 08 Apr 2024, 11:34 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Still a while away but pretty much most of the RWC squad should not be on this tour. They have not had a proper break in two years. Exceptions should be for forwards who had injuries keeping them out a few months or backs who saw minimal time.

My preliminary squad would be (young player going for exp)

LH: Hepburn, McBeth, M Jones?, Smyth
HK: Matthews, Hiddelston, Fraser/Harrison
TH: Sebastian, McCallum, Walker/Hurd, Norrie
LK: J Gray, McDonald, Williamson, Sykes, Hodgson
BR: Crosbie, Bayliss, Bradbury, Gordon, Ferrie/Brown, Muncaster

SH: Dobie, Vellacott, Warr
FH: Healy, Thomson, Jordan (if qualified)
Centres: McDowall, Lang, Currie, Hutchinson
Back Three: Steyn, Rowe, Patterson, Reed, Maitland

Probably have a couple of injuries in there but think that has some experienced players to provide the standard and still allows the vast majority of the RWC squad a break

Only one bolter in Gus Warr 🤔, I would say Fergus Burke is a possibile bolter too thumbsup. When is Tom Jordan eligible anyway, is it summer or autumn?

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 09 Apr 2024, 8:56 am

Tom Jordan does not qualify until the autumn, so he won't be going. I guess Hastings is an option is he can get himself fit again.

I imagine as well that there will be a few more experienced players in the squad than that that will help bring some of the youngsters on. I am not sure that just taking players to make up the numbers will be really helpful. Taking young players is only good if he feels they have the potential to develop into full international players in the future.

Maybe some of the WC squads who did not really get much game time. George Horne, Cameron Redpath, Luke Crosbie spring to mind and maybe a few others.

I am not sure that Sean Maitland will fancy a trip to South America at this stage in his career and I suspect his Scotland career may well be over now.

If ever there was a tour to take a few bolters that we have not heard of, then surely this is it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 09 Apr 2024, 9:45 am

Struggling on bolters. Roebuck committed to England and Dingwall got capped. Assume Beetham will play for Wales. Don't see Fergus Burke committing to us on the summer tour having just come off a serious achilles injury and then moving to Saracens.

Any props who could be tempted across or get plucked from the Championship, I am all ears.

As for Maitland, I chucked him in but agree, his time is done. In an ideal world, Townsend says do you fancy a trip around the Americas and acting as a quasi-coach with the young guys.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 09 Apr 2024, 10:51 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:Struggling on bolters. Roebuck committed to England and Dingwall got capped. Assume Beetham will play for Wales. Don't see Fergus Burke committing to us on the summer tour having just come off a serious achilles injury and then moving to Saracens.

Any props who could be tempted across or get plucked from the Championship, I am all ears.

As for Maitland, I chucked him in but agree, his time is done. In an ideal world, Townsend says do you fancy a trip around the Americas and acting as a quasi-coach with the young guys.

Maits doesn't strike me as someone who is overly keen on coaching but I may be wrong! Great player, mind.

I expect reed will be capped on the wing. Jake Henry may get a chance off the bench? Will Darcy be fit by summer? Might be a good tour for him to get back up to speed.

Shaun, also doubt burke is up for a cap, it'd not be in his interest or Scotland's to rush him in, he also needs to prove himself first! We need to try and get our incumbents up to speed as collectively they've probably had about 10 minutes game time for Scotland.

LH: Bhatti, the Scottish play, Tiffany/Mikey J
Hooker: Ashman, Hiddleston, Matthews
TH: Sebastian, Williams? Rae? Walker? Mill man?
Locks: Williamson, principal, Johnny g, Craig? CHH?
BR: Mbawza, Boyle, Muncaster, Crosbie, Bayliss, Fagerson?

SH: Horne, House elf, Ashfar, Warr not sure about bolters other than that just please no Edinburgh SHs!
FH: Healey, Thompson, Hastings
Centres: Stafford, Currie, Hutch, Redpath, Seaman
OB: Reed, Rowe, Patterson, Henry, Darcy

There'll no doubt be a random bloke from Tiverton who once drank irn bru as the bolter!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 09 Apr 2024, 12:54 pm

Maitland won an award at Saracens for his voluntary work in the community. Not coaching but he clearly likes to get involved with helping others. Before he was dropped he used to always say he was keen to play for Scotland. I think the last tour to the USA he told Toonie he wanted to be involved but Toonie rested him. Most likely his time is done but yeah he was let go too soon despite the rise of Graham and VDM.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Tue 30 Apr 2024, 10:55 pm

Who is this Freddy Douglas who is being touted in Scottish Rugby News site to go on tour 🤔🤔?

https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/edinburgh-rugby/24289021.teenage-tyro-freddy-douglas-backed-scotland-call-up/

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 30 Apr 2024, 11:23 pm

He was one of the few shining lights of this years U20s. He outplayed a few well regarded bsckrows a cross the tournament apparently.

You do wonder if he might be better served getting the U20s back into the world group though

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Thu 02 May 2024, 11:22 pm

If Freddy Douglas gets elevated to the full squad it could ruin him.
He needs to make the u20s as strong as possible and help set them up for next season. I think he's young enough for next season too?
I will benefit him and Scotland in the long run if he is managed carefully.

I don't think that it did Adam Ashe any favours being first capped v South Africa when he was 20, or Magnus Bradbury when he was capped aged 21.

Let's give FD the chance to develop. It's not like we are short of back row options across our pro squad. Bayliss, Crosbie, Christie, Ferrie, Gregor Brown, Ally Miller, Connor Boyle, Ben Muncaster.
Plus Ritchie, Bradbury, Darge, Watson as experienced player options.
I see no logic in rushing Freddy Douglas into the full squad. He's still only 18 FGS.

Anglobraveheart

Hazel Sapling likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 04 May 2024, 11:13 pm

Good to see Hastings back playing in the semi final - I feared he was out for the season. Played well too.

He could be a good experienced head for the summer tour. He'll be desperate for gametime and with moving to Glasgow there should be no issues.

Give him 2 games and Healy the other 2?

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 05 May 2024, 8:54 pm

I agree, I’d even suggest kinghorn starting a game at fly half. One attribute I liked about Toonie at Glasgow was how he swapped the positions up regularly. His more conservative game plan for Scotland could still allow kinghorn another go at fly half this summer. I think it’s good to a have a few versatile players in any squad.

Hastings is a class player and he’ll hopefully show his best rugby for Glasgow when he returns.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 05 May 2024, 10:22 pm

Suspect Kinghorn will be given the summer off, not least because it looks like Toulouse's season will be going the distance.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down