The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George!

+11
mountain man
Collapse2005
geoff999rugby
LeinsterFan4life
Heaf
Geordie
Maine man
Poorfour
formerly known as Sam
Rugby Fan
doctor_grey
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George! - Page 2 Empty Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George!

Post by doctor_grey Thu 02 May 2024, 10:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of RUGBY blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage and drive the cheating fockers off the ruck;

That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like Saintly greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Marcus and Fin, Courtney, England, and Saint George (Furbank)!'

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Courtney's day.

Now that I got that put of my system:
https://www.google.com/search?q=michael+buffer+let%27s+get+ready&sca_esv=cd1cd8ba04cfc6b9&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS855US855&tbm=vid&ei=_wo0ZtXZFciBhbIPxeSKWA&start=40&sa=N&ved=2ahUKEwiV1bvm-e-FAxXIQEEAHUWyAgs4HhDw0wN6BAgYEB8&biw=1229&bih=556&dpr=1.56#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:2bd6118c,vid:ZVm5qad8HLM,st:0

doctor_grey

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George! - Page 2 Empty Re: Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George!

Post by Cumbrian Sun 05 May 2024, 3:55 pm

He has missed a lot, but I think a Toulouse fan might be aggrieved that the 50-22 was given for Quins second. Hopefully things even out and Quins can get back into it, but I think I'll probably switch over if Toulouse get the next score.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George! - Page 2 Empty Re: Euro Rugby Semi Finals - For England and Saint George!

Post by mountain man Sun 05 May 2024, 3:57 pm

I'm not a fan of Brace but speed game being played it must be tough to see everything. He should be getting more help from assistants.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 05 May 2024, 4:00 pm

I must also admit, it seems ridiculous that they get 90 seconds to take a kick. There are too many disruptions in the game as it is and given that they are taking about a minute to take each conversion you're losing the best part of ten minutes!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 4:00 pm

Cumbrian wrote:He has missed a lot, but I think a Toulouse fan might be aggrieved that the 50-22 was given for Quins second.  Hopefully things even out and Quins can get back into it, but I think I'll probably switch over if Toulouse get the next score.

Yep that was muffed up too - take off 1 Quins try and 4 Toulouse tries following officiating errors ... it's just not good enough at this level.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Sun 05 May 2024, 4:05 pm

Cumbrian wrote:I must also admit, it seems ridiculous that they get 90 seconds to take a kick.  There are too many disruptions in the game as it is and given that they are taking about a minute to take each conversion you're losing the best part of ten minutes!

Personally I'd stop the clock for kicks. So far In theory we've lost at least 6 minutes for the kicks

Maine man

doctor_grey and Heaf like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 05 May 2024, 4:06 pm

It is a shame that they haven't been able to keep the ball more because they look very effective when they go through the phases.

That is a wonderful finish from Murley!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 05 May 2024, 4:06 pm

What a try by Murley! Kudos to Smith for pass as well.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 05 May 2024, 4:10 pm

That is unbelievable! They threw themselves around the ruck and flopped on the wrong side!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 4:11 pm

Brace continues to allow Toulouse a free-ride at the breakdown

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 4:14 pm

Nice try from Quins

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 05 May 2024, 4:14 pm

That was beautiful!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 05 May 2024, 4:20 pm

Can't believe they haven't checked that potential high shot...
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 4:21 pm

I can believe it unfortunately ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 4:22 pm

Looked like shoulder to jaw - you could see him flexing it afterwards

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 4:23 pm

Ntamack lucky - presumably Mr Magoo is the TMO

Last edited by Heaf on Sun 05 May 2024, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 05 May 2024, 4:23 pm

It was checked, mentioned on Comms. The Ntamck tackle on Esterhuizen.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 4:26 pm

Esterhuizen was clearly flexing his jaw which would be where the contact was so TMO not looking too closely then ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 05 May 2024, 4:30 pm

We're going to see this about 9 times though...
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 05 May 2024, 4:32 pm

Yellow correct there.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 05 May 2024, 4:32 pm

Should have been a red really

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 4:33 pm

So they can spot head contact - shame only for one side.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 05 May 2024, 4:33 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Should have been a red really

Agreed, it probably should have.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 05 May 2024, 4:34 pm

Brace is having a very good game

Yellow for me

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 05 May 2024, 4:34 pm

Shame for Quins this, because they have dominated the second half up to this point.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 4:35 pm

Shoulder wasn't tucked, attempted to wrap which is why it was yellow

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 05 May 2024, 4:35 pm

I think Brace got decision correct. Two years ago though that would have been red.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 4:36 pm

Why Ntamack wasn't even penalised earlier is a mystery however ... clear shoulder to chin

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 05 May 2024, 4:37 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Brace is having a very good game

Yellow for me

Yeah I think so too. So much going on but he's been fair.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 4:40 pm

Prior to that however Quins should not have been pinged at the turnover - hands were not on ground as Brace claimed - he was looking at the wrong player

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 05 May 2024, 4:43 pm

Given how brilliant and dominant Toulouse were in first half Quin's have done well to get back into game but Toulouse better team overall.
Cannot blame Brace for loss, he's been fine.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 4:44 pm

He's not been deliberately unfair - just a lot of what he's missed has benefited Toulouse more than Quins - although a few things should have been picked up by the TMO

Heaf

Poorfour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 05 May 2024, 4:46 pm

Stupid from Marler there, he'd done really well just before then gets pen reversed.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 05 May 2024, 4:46 pm

What was Marler thinking there?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 05 May 2024, 4:47 pm

Heaf

I think you have forgotten to take off your Quins coloured specs.

As a neutral he has been even to me.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 05 May 2024, 4:52 pm

I don't know, I think Toulouse got the rub of the green when it game to decisions at the breakdown.

I know somebody above mentioned that the Ntamack one was checked, but I didn't hear those comms. I guess it is one of those things about playing away in France, if it benefits the home team the TV director shows it dozens of times knowing the crowd will react, but if it is the opposition you'll be lucky to see one replay.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun 05 May 2024, 4:54 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Heaf

His handling of what he has seen has generally been good, but what he has missed has benefited Toulouse significantly.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Sun 05 May 2024, 4:56 pm

Brace is alright but gets caught out at breakdown. Toulouse played him well and effectively killed most rucks by not entering through the gate or even attempting to stay on feet. Some very cynical play not carded too. But there was nothing stopping quins doing the same. It's hard when the pace of the game is very high but some breakdowns left me scratching my head. Overall quins too loose and made silly errors chasing game. It was an enjoyable game none the less.

Yoda

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 05 May 2024, 4:58 pm

I know somebody above mentioned that the Ntamack one was checked, but I didn't hear those comms

It was Miles Harrison on commentary who said "officials happy with that challenge by Ntamck" .

French tv pictures notorious for having slant on what's shown but even as someone who really wanted Quins to win I can't complain overall. Toulouse were better team, especially first half.

However, this does show that refs need more help from assistants and TMO at times. If just to clarify for those watching what happened or not.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 5:00 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Heaf

I'm not a Quins supporter and will have to agree to disagree - his breakdown officiating was strange, Toulouse clearly went in the side in the build-up to at least two of their tries as an example. Another one of their tries had a suspect offside in front of the kicker, and Ntamak clearly got away with a shoulder to chin - those two were on the TMO however. The maul decision near the start which I think led to the first try was also a bit odd as the maul had broken up and the Quins player hadn't swum around the side.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 5:20 pm

Just for a laugh I think they should let Dickson ref the final Shocked

Heaf

doctor_grey and Maine man like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 05 May 2024, 5:30 pm

You may not be a Quins supporter but you do have a track record of
clearly being an English supporter regardless of which side is playing

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 05 May 2024, 5:44 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:You may not be a Quins supporter but you do have a track record of
clearly being an English supporter regardless of which side is playing

Well you got me there thumbsup

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 05 May 2024, 7:00 pm

Good effort by Saints and Quins. Both are clearly well coached and are utilising English talent, perhaps England teams of the near future will mostly have their players.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 05 May 2024, 8:02 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Surprised there hasn't been much outrage at the possibility of Quins having a home final if they beat Toulouse. Just kidding not surprised.
That's a good point.  Frankly, it never occurred to me one way or another and didn't connect the dots it was possible until I saw your post.  But now that I have read it, it really does seem pretty obvious and the kind of thing someone in the media could make a ruckus over.  But it is conceivable that Leinster, Stade Francais, Edinburgh, and Bulls/Sharks could have a home final in addition to Harlequins in the years ahead.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 05 May 2024, 8:52 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:Surprised there hasn't been much outrage at the possibility of Quins having a home final if they beat Toulouse. Just kidding not surprised.
That's a good point.  Frankly, it never occurred to me one way or another and didn't connect the dots it was possible until I saw your post.  But now that I have read it, it really does seem pretty obvious and the kind of thing someone in the media could make a ruckus over.  But it is conceivable that Leinster, Stade Francais, Edinburgh, and Bulls/Sharks could have a home final in addition to Harlequins in the years ahead.
It's not an issue at all, the rugby world is small (and getting smaller with clubs going bust every year), so it's simply bound to happen. There are only so many suitable stadium/locations available, if they want sell out crowds.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 06 May 2024, 12:45 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
It's not an issue at all, the rugby world is small (and getting smaller with clubs going bust every year), so it's simply bound to happen. There are only so many suitable stadium/locations available, if they want sell out crowds.
Not an issue for me either. And would really want to see more sellouts.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 06 May 2024, 7:26 am

doctor_grey wrote:

Thats really because the media in England only really have a big whinge about it when Leinster have a home final. It isnt an issue for me either, the bigger issue is how they select the final venue and how it hasnt been held in Italy yet for example while there have now been five finals in England, two France, one Ireland, one Scotland, none Wales.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Mon 06 May 2024, 9:33 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Thats really because the media in England only really have a big whinge about it when Leinster have a home final. It isnt an issue for me either, the bigger issue is how they select the final venue and how it hasnt been held in Italy yet for example while there have now been five finals in England, two France, one Ireland, one Scotland, none Wales.

Are you actually saying a fixture in north London is a home fixture for Quins?? Are you actually comparing Dublin with London ??
By public transport it would take you a couple of hours to get from the Stoop to White Hart Lane. Tottenham is a little different to Twickenham High St....

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Mon 06 May 2024, 9:57 am

Travelling time from Twickenham to Tottenham ground 1hr 20 mins

Travelling time RDS to Croke Park 40 mins

A game can reasonably considered a home fixture in the same city as the team in question. London has excellent transport connections.

What is a disgrace is the lack of games in Italy

geoff999rugby

Maine man and Collapse2005 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 06 May 2024, 10:05 am

geoff999rugby wrote:Travelling time from Twickenham to Tottenham ground 1hr 20 mins

Travelling time RDS to Croke Park 40 mins

A game can reasonably considered a home fixture in the same city as the team in question. London has excellent transport connections.

What is a disgrace is the lack of games in Italy

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Have neutral city venue for the semi finals. One each for the two competitions then a shared host city for the finals. Makes travel plans easier for fans and teams. You can spread it around three countries each year so everyone can get in on the action.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next