The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best and worst dressed players on tour...

+16
Nay
super_realist
NedB-H
Maverick
dynamark
drive4show
kwinigolfer
sharrison01
MustPuttBetter
detones
Redrage
Diggers
shclaff
LondonJonnyO
JPX
theeldestboy
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best and worst dressed players on tour... Empty Best and worst dressed players on tour...

Post by theeldestboy Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Call me a snob, or a tart, or indeed any other adjective you like, but i must say i think professional golfers have an obligation to dress smartly on tour. By that, i mean wearing clothes that actaully fit, that are somewhat colour co-ordinated, having a semi-respectable haircut and a generally respectable appearance. These guys represent the game, are watched by millions. Yet some of them look bloody awful. For me, pro golfers fall into 4 categories;

- players that adopt "traditional" golfing attire, and look smart (Monty, though his frame doesn't make it look good!)
- players that adopt "modern" golfing attire, and look smart (Villegas / Garcia)
- players that make some sort of attempt, but look a bit scruffy (Eduardo Molinari)
- players that clearly don't give a hoot (Robert Jan Derkson)

Poulter and Fowler, well they're in a category all of their own, but personally, i like a bit of individuality. And though garish, they at least make an effort and look smart.

And has anyone ever noticed that Eduardo Molinari always appears to be wearing a child's size hat...or has that man just got a massive head? Or that Phil Mickelson's t-shirts are just a little too "fitted" for a man of his size? Or that Manassero's trousers are a little to narrow? And who's that guy that sports the camouflage clothing...Boo Weekley?...should he be jailed for that? And that chap with the stetson hat with Titleist (or Taylormade) written on it...wtf?

It's Thursday here, the last day of the working week. So this, for me at least, is an end-of-the-week bit of fun, so humour me.

So do players have an obligation to dress smartly on tour, or should they be allowed (within reason), to wear what they want? Who are the best and worst dressed players on Tour? What other funny clothing faux-pas or oddities have you spotted else have you spotted?

We've done the discussion about attire for amateurs, so let's not go there again.

I look forwrad to your replies, be they abusive or constructive...
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Best and worst dressed players on tour... Empty Re: Best and worst dressed players on tour...

Post by JPX Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:11 pm

Luke Donald always looks the business to me.

Worst has to be Rickie Fowler.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Best and worst dressed players on tour... Empty Re: Best and worst dressed players on tour...

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:15 pm

Why are the representing golf? They are there for themselves not some mad ideal where everyone thinks the game is the most important thing.

It's not.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:28 pm

theeldestboy wrote:And that chap with the stetson hat with Titleist (or Taylormade) written on it...wtf?

Think you're referring to Rory Sabbatini, I'm pretty sure he wears it because he had skin cancer not too long ago.

I think the less traditional looks are good for the game. They help dispel the image of golf as a game played by snooty old men!

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:36 pm

Have to say Luke looks smart most of the time but occasionally throws on a shocking pair of strides. Worst dressed player by a country mile is John Daly.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:37 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Why are the representing golf? They are there for themselves not some mad ideal where everyone thinks the game is the most important thing.

It's not.

Come on LJ, it's not that simple! For a start players are ambassadors for their sponsors, so you can't say they are purely out there for themselves. I'm not sure Kaymer's Hugo Boss sponsorship would last very long if he didn't tuck his t-shirt in! And the Ryder Cup opening ceremony would have a very different feel if all the players were dressed in their own togs rather than being dressed in very smart suits!
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:39 pm

shclaff wrote:
theeldestboy wrote:And that chap with the stetson hat with Titleist (or Taylormade) written on it...wtf?

Think you're referring to Rory Sabbatini, I'm pretty sure he wears it because he had skin cancer not too long ago.

I think the less traditional looks are good for the game. They help dispel the image of golf as a game played by snooty old men!

Oh, that's fair enough. But putting a sporting logo on a stetson is like putting a ferrari logo on a tractor.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:41 pm

I quite dislike they way Bubba Watson has his top button closed, it looks stupid... more so than when he is in dungarees.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by detones Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:42 pm

Worst: John Daly. The flash trousers worked better when he was a tub, now they look like he's just attention seeking.

Fowler is young and can just get away with it. Poulter on the other hand is not young, but poults seems to have toned down the look of late and the tude too!

Best: G Mac, always dressed smart and looks dapper in the Cardigan, like last years US Open.

detones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:42 pm

Of course it's that simple.

The sponsors may provide the clothing to a certain extent but the player will often choose to dress how they feel comfortable.

And even then why are they representing the game because of a brand sponsorship? In that case they are representing a brand. So if a player got a sponsorship by Body Glove I would expect to see him out there in wetsuits and fins.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Detones - Best dressed = GMac??? No chance!! The cardigan pot belly look is not my idea of a good emsemble i'm afraid!
I like the way Poulter dresses. There's no doubt he looks smart and i don't see how what colour his clothes happen to be has any impact on anything other than himself.

Tiger always looks pretty smart and has generally kept it simple with a t-shirt / slacks combo
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm also not a fan of GMac's pot belly cardigan look but at least he makes himself look presentable. Poulter's great for displaying what the rest of the world will see as English eccentricity and the clothing that he wore before branding himself was William Hunt which is a very respectable effort.

The American's on the whole wear the worst clothing with baggy shirts and poorly fitting trousers - they all look very scruffy and are either bald or have awful hair. My favourite was their '99 Ryder Cup shirts which should not grace even the ugliest breakfast table.

Donald is a great example to follow but then it suits everything about him and I think that's what most players generally do. My favourite is that US guy that wears a shirt and tie - looks just like he's slipping in 9 after a hard day at the office...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Ryan Moore?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:01 pm

detones wrote:Best: G Mac, always dressed smart and looks dapper in the Cardigan, like last years US Open.
That's a joke, right? I'd probably have him as second worst! Cardigan's over a pot belly and a military style hat just isn't the look!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:04 pm

I like Donald's stuff, Edfors too.

My idea of the very worst are the baggy white strides / windsocks worn by some of my favourite players, Darren Clarke and Ernie Els prominent among them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Although I think Donald looks smart my missus reckons he walks like a duck and unfortunately has quite a fat derriere for a relatively slim man. Mind you she is an exceptionally fussy lady........

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by detones Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:05 pm

MPB - Poults trys to hard, green shoes, green Oakleys, green Shirt, green Watch, give me a break. G Mac keeps ts simple and compared to some of our other Irish breakfast roll munching, pint slugging golfers is a rake! Speaking of which he must have had a good brekky this moring, T12 at Even par. Very early days though!

detones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Bubba Watson is supposed to be wearing a military-style shirt at least one day this week. Not sure how that'll look, but one fears the worst.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:09 pm

One of the best fashion parades I've seen for a long time was the Friday of the PGA at Wentworth. I would guess well in excess of half the players wore navy trousers and jumper with white shirts as a tribute to Seve.
Very smart and very classic. Also a tremendous tribute.

Current players? I like Poults outfits although sometimes not 100% sure about some of the colour combos. Goose always looks smart in an elegant way.

Quite a few trends appearing, last day outfits of green trews for young Matteo and that hideous orange that Fowler wears. Think Tiger is to blame with his red shirt Sundays.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Id say Adam Scott looks pretty smart most of the time but I guess it helps he is a good looking bloke, the same way it doesnt help GPrat that he looks like a weasel.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Detones, i like it that Poults tries hard.
i'm certianly not Poults but i have a few pairs of the Stromberg trousers that have the pocket trim etc in various colours and i always try to match the trousers to the shirt!
Looking smart generally goes out the window once my swing has been witnessed but you've got to try.........
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Diggers If your missus is that fussy how come.....
Daly dresses in chefs trousers but i still like the man for his achievements.
Scott very smart but needs to keep his hair trimmed.Trend seems to go unshaven through the event recently.Jiminez has a wierd sese of colour coordination.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:20 pm

DM, she makes allowances for my rank ugliness because of my incredibly sunny disposition and winning personality.
Is it Freddie Jacobson who was a bit of a trend setter with the snazzy gear?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Sabbatini is due to skin cancer cells removed from his left cheek if i'm correct, and as for sponsorship on the stetson he's paid for it.

I also don't buy into they should have to confirm to a specific way of dressing after all they're not the military having to conform to a uniform dress code they can have a bit of personality to, personly I like the way Donald dresses, but I also like Fowler for his colourful nature, equally are as well dressed they just have different tastes as for Daly if its what he likes then cool, its his choice doesn't offend me or make me want to be one of the fashion police and stop watching because he happens to be too colourful. AS for someone mentioning Kaymer what a dull dresser he is

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Mav, I would buy that if I thought for one minute Daly wore those trousers other than for one reason, cash. He is always chasing a dollar, doesnt he/didnt he used to drive his own merchandise truck from event to event ?
Basically whoever owned that company did a bit of great brand marketing by choosing a guy who would a be willing to wear them in the first place if offered enough cash and b has enough fans out there who would buy into the fact that they were all about his quirky crazy image.......and not just about the money which was the real reason he wore them.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 pm

The thing with a lot of the players is that you can form a pretty good opinion about them without ever having seen them swing or having known anything about them-

Daly - messed up trousers, messed up life
Donald - neat and tidy like his short game
Kaymer - pretty boring but works, German
Poulter - extrovert, Arsenal fan
Fowler - pop boy, under 21
Watson, Mahan, Weekley - rednecks
Scandanavians - smart and expensive, prob something by J Lindberg

etc etc etc

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by detones Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:37 pm

Just seen the worst dressed golfer ever, check out Bubbas outfit today. He makes Boo Weekley look well dressed!

detones

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Diggers i'm not saying it's not about the dollars for daly we all know he's a cash cow. But the loudmouth stuff does also respresent his outgoing nature to go for everything so a good fit for his wallet and LoudMouth clothing.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Certainly as I mentioned good brand marketing on Loudmouths part but I think Daly is the sort of guy who would roll out of bed and just grab the first thing to hand. Cant believe he spends a nano second worrying about his sartorial elegance. But I could be wrong, he might be a secret poseur for all I know.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Diggers wrote:Certainly as I mentioned good brand marketing on Loudmouths part but I think Daly is the sort of guy who would roll out of bed and just grab the first thing to hand. Cant believe he spends a nano second worrying about his sartorial elegance. But I could be wrong, he might be a secret poseur for all I know.

Well he did advertise underwear a couple years back and allowed himself and his ahem manhood be snapped in his pants for the bilboards

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Did he really, well I have to say Im gobsmacked by that. Still I suppose he represents a more realistic image of the body shape of most blokes than say Ronaldo or Beckham.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Diggers wrote:Certainly as I mentioned good brand marketing on Loudmouths part but I think Daly is the sort of guy who would roll out of bed and just grab the first thing to hand. Cant believe he spends a nano second worrying about his sartorial elegance. But I could be wrong, he might be a secret poseur for all I know.

I think he has to spend a tiny bit of time thinking about his outfit for the day as his girlfriend always walks round with him and she wears a miniskirt or strides to match.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Yep he certainly did, i'll have to do some digging to find out when and maybe a link for the more liberally posters

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:21 pm

Fowler has to be worst... I get the impression that the others with garish stuff, Poulter and Daly and Parnevik and so on, aren't entirely serious, but Fowler really thinks he looks good.

Or it might just be that I can't stand Fowler.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:25 pm

Fowlers 21 so I can forgive him for dressing like a kid...well the full orange outfit is maybes a bit OTT. But when a man in his mid 30's like Poulter tries to pull off really out there stuff I think its a sad sight indeed. Anyone with hair highlights is on very thin ice as well, yes Mr Clarke and Mr Westwood, I mean you.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:27 pm

I could forgive Fowler if everyone his age was dressing like that... but they're not. A few 13 year olds do, but you never see anyone else as old as him looking that ridiculous.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Diggers, you'll do anything to do down Poulter, much like me with the hateful Woods I suppose.

I can't let Fowler off I'm afraid on accoutn of his age, if anything as a young person who still ought to have his shame he shouldn't be wearing clothes like that. Not only are his barnet and Dennis Healey eyebrows ridiculous but his clothes are laughable, and he doesn't even have the good grace to do it in an ironic way. Like most American's he has no style at all.

I'm not a huge fan of Poulter's get up, I think people are thinking more about what he used to wear a few years ago, I think he's toned it down a bit. He can still look daft at times though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:42 pm

I only really do it to attempt to annoy you SR, much like a lot of the stuff you say about Woods I guess.
Mind you I do recall you slating people wearing football shirts other than to play football in so surely you of all people should be berating Poulter for the Arsenal strip attire on the course....it just shows him for the chav he is.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/4668966.stm

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:48 pm

I would agree, I think any adult wearing football strips as if it were normal attire is simply dreadful. As vulgar and classless as hanging a flag from a window or balcony whilst on holiday.

I like Poulter in general because he doesn't conform to the normal stereotype of being a boring, media trained, wooden robot, but someone who can think for himself and say what he likes without caring what people think, strangely because Woods is the antithesis of this is the reason I dislike him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:55 pm

I just think he likes the sound of his own voice and when you say enough the odd bit of sense comes out but by and large Id say he spouts a load of guff most of the time, as do most of us to be fair. I just increasingly dont rate him as a stokeplay golfer and therefore get a bit irked by the amount of press he gets just by opening his gob.
Its funny because he clearly has bottle but when it comes to the majors he has by and large just not shown up.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:59 pm

I can see why you dislike him Diggers, i really can. I think he helps bring a bit of colour, attitude and personality to the tour, something it desperately needs.

At least he does something to merit coverage (i.e winning tournaments), whereas for the past couple of years we see constant replays of Woods staring into the distance and doing pretty much nothing else.

Can't please everyone though can they?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Id say that what Poulter and Woods both have in common is that neither of them is interested in pleasing anyone but themselves.
Anyway prior to last years US Open I slammed Gprat and he went on to win it so there is a fair chance Poults will do the same this year.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:06 pm

That was one thing we did agree on. I didn't like McDowell, nor did I rate him, but he proved me wrong. I still think he's sad for calling himself GMAC as if he was somesort of nubile RnB singer rather than a slightly portly tatty muncher who looks more like an accountant than a golfer, but if that's the worst thing he can do to "offend" me (stealing a subject from another thread) then he can't be that bad.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Talking of Irish accountants, isn't Padraig actually a qualified one?

Anyway, just got a shot of Bubba's outfit for today. Think he's shot to the top of this table.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:16 pm

His mullet could do that on it's own. Does he think he's in Dusseldorf circa 1976?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Diggers wrote:Id say Adam Scott looks pretty smart most of the time but I guess it helps he is a good looking bloke

On this note, my missus was asking why golfers change caddies and why Christian Donald did not caddy for Luke, So was explaining about all the caddy changes that had happened, mentioned Tigers caddy was with Adam Scott now for the week, when she asked who he was and i replied remember the one that used the big putter when we watched the masters.

About an hour later on comes Adam Scott to the TV which she says, oh yes i remember him he's the good looking one.

At least i know she tries to take an interest in my hobbies ha ha

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:14 pm

Thought that Bubba Watson was one of the worst dress players at the open today, no matter what the cause was, camouflage does not look right on the golf course

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:19 am

Only reason I can see for camo trousers on course is a dodgy ruby murray the night before so incase of Sharting all evidence is hidden

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:46 am

The best dressed golfers are those that look effortlessly good, not trying to hard but still look good.

Kaymer, Donald and Manaserro have got it to a tee Smile
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:58 am

Not sure about the best but for worst I'd go with someone from Bubba, Daly, Fowler or Poulter.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next