The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you were a promoter....

+3
TRUSSMAN66
sugarrayb
ONETWOFOREVER
7 posters

Go down

If you were a promoter.... Empty If you were a promoter....

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 16 Jun 2011, 7:18 pm

would you act any differently then the few who get SLATED on here week in week out. Warren, Hearn, King, Arum get their fair share of insults flung at them but can anyone empathise with them. Being a boxing promoter can not be easy work considering all the various aspects to the job. 1 thing I must say is that the very top promoters like King, Arum, and Warren have to get respect for their longevity alone. Putting on multi - million events, selling out stadiums/arenas, generating tv revenue as well as dealing with mostly naturally aggressive fighters all fall at the door of the promoter yet people like King have been involved at the TOP for donkeys years. Meanwhile you find ex - fighters who feel they know enough, due to their previous dealings with them, branching out on their own setting up their own promotional companies but what happens???

How long did Calzaghe promotions last??

Where is Hatton promotions in the world of boxing??

Where is Oscar De La Hoya right now??

I will tell you, he is in REHAB "facing his demons" ha ha King and Arum must be secretly laughing at these pretenders. Larry Holmes famously said that boxing is the only sport where the lions are scared of the rats, well the very top promoters are lions in their own right. People such as Arum has worked with many a great fighter such as Ali and is still going. King has a well known history of curruption and deceit yet fighters still sign with him, why? because they are the bestat what they do. Money talks they know it, you know it. If you had "the golden goose" such as Manny would'nt you milk him for all the money he generates? would you do anything different? and do you think taking the moral high ground will get you anywhere in the sport?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

If you were a promoter.... Empty Re: If you were a promoter....

Post by sugarrayb Thu 16 Jun 2011, 7:35 pm

A lot of the time probably not. At the end of the day promoters are there to make themselves money and the fighters they represent.

As fans of course we want to see the best take on the best all the time, never going to happen but thats what we want.

Warren gets lots of stick off loads of UK fans for over protecting his fighters, but as much stick as he gets this is a guy who has promoted the following fights:
Benn v McClellan
Benn v Eubank II
Eubank v Thompson I & II
Hamed v Kelley
Hamed v Madina
Maccerinelli v Haye
Calzaghe v Hopkins
Calzaghe v Reid
Calzaghe v Lacey

Yes he milks his fighters a bit but in fairness he probabley makes them good money in the process and I'll always have a little bit of respect for him for telling the corner to pull Nicky Piper out against Darius Michalczewski and then telling him his career was over, because thats also a promoter/managers job, to protect the fighter even from themselves.

sugarrayb

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

I'd do exactly the same as Frank Warren etc with the WBO and King with WBC etc.............

Your first loyalty is to yourself and your client...to make money for both of you....and if you can do that the safe way without risk then you do it.......

If muppets will pay to watch Haye-Harrison etc then why not exploit the situation...

risk vs reward.....that's what business is all about...the greaster the fighter the more you are prepared to risk....

Why the Alex Arthurs, Cook's etc never fight anybody......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:09 pm

Why the Alex Arthurs, Cook's etc never fight anybody......
Alex Arthur was meant to fight Guzman in 2008, i bought tickets for the fight but the fat slob couldn't make the weight. Cook fought the best at the weight in his first defence, who went onto be schooled off another fighter who gets no respect, Ricky Burns. Don't slate the likes of Arthur when he was gonna fight the best at the weight until he pulled out.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:10 pm

I'm not slating him...just suggesting these people are taken via a different route..

Are you thick????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:51 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:Why the Alex Arthurs, Cook's etc never fight anybody......
Alex Arthur was meant to fight Guzman in 2008, i bought tickets for the fight but the fat slob couldn't make the weight. Cook fought the best at the weight in his first defence, who went onto be schooled off another fighter who gets no respect, Ricky Burns. Don't slate the likes of Arthur when he was gonna fight the best at the weight until he pulled out.

Was a major disappointment Towzer, was looking forward to going myself, the only good thing to take out of it was his behaviour/attitude wasn't exclusive to the Arthur fight, and has left many fans upset since with his negative attitude.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 17 Jun 2011, 3:50 pm

I'd probably be a lot worse in all honesty.

Would probably get attached to the fighters and protect them even more.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 4:38 pm

If I was a promoter.....I'd be the best in all the World..

If I had shat loads of money I'd probably produce crowd pleasing fights...

If I wanted easy fights and titles for my fighters i'd suck up to the WBo....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:05 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If I was a promoter.....I'd be the best in all the World..

If I had shat loads of money I'd probably produce crowd pleasing fights...

If I wanted easy fights and titles for my fighters i'd suck up to the WBo....

Sorry Truss but someone already has the WBO gig, hows your Mexican?
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 9:22 pm

Can't blame the promoters too much as they are still there after all of these years. The only thing I would have done differently is not to get in to bed with the WBU, IBO and Intercontinental championship fights. With so many quality fights that have been made without a bogus title attached, all fans wants are decent 50/50 fights and not bothered by whatever the latest trinket from the crazy sanctioning bodies.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:00 pm

Haven't tried my mexican lately.....her husband is in the Country at the moment..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down