The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your fav promoter and why?

+14
Michaels, Sean
Fists of Fury
Young_Towzer
DoubleD22
zx1234
Steffan
88Chris05
coxy0001
Rowley
Valero's Conscience
azania
BALTIMORA
The genius of PBF
Seanusarrilius
18 posters

Go down

Your fav promoter and why? Empty Your fav promoter and why?

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:26 am

Ok

So not often we ask this probably because its easy to dig at promoters. We all get hacked of with the fights that dont happen because some promoter cough cough Arum wants to milk a dud and call it a firework cough cough Chavez. But lets be positive. Who currently is your most beloved promoter? who do you like the best and why? Who is numero uno. for anyone who needs a heads up of some of the big players at the mo. We got

Dan Goosen
Lou Di Bella
Bob Arum
GBP aka de la Hoya and Schafer
Frog eyes Frank Warren
The two Hearns and matchroom
Hennesey the magician who can make any career disappear
Sauderland of Germany and a few more i will leave you guys to name

Personally, i like Warren because altho he is a poisonous toad at times moaning or undermining any fighter he hasn't got, he puts on the best cards in England and in his old age is actually allowing his fighters to take risks with who they fight. Clev was pushed along to a WBO shot pretty quick cos he is not finished article. Degale v Groves so early and Murray v Mitchell. So for all the annoyance he causes us he can put on a show. And Lou Di Bella. I just like the guy, he is nice, he wants to make big match ups and i think he is pretty honest (for a promoter) about his fighters. Talked up our boy Carl lovely after the Johnson fight.

So gents. who you like and why?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Your fav promoter and why? Empty Re: Your fav promoter and why?

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:21 am

Floyd Mayweather Smile

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 07 Jun 2011, 9:08 am

I like Lou DiBella's frankness. So, him.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 Jun 2011, 9:11 am

Don King. He delivered more often that not.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 07 Jun 2011, 9:42 am

BALTIMORA wrote:I like Lou DiBella's frankness. So, him.

All of them are bad in ways as it's in their nature if they want to succeed but i'd agree with Balti, from what little i've seen he seems less up his a-hole that others and get's more to the point.

King is the funniest by far!

I hate Gary Shaw, the guy just winds me up, the fat fool!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 07 Jun 2011, 9:50 am

Would love to say Hennessy because he shows a genuine desire to match his fighters tough and go after proper belts but dear god the guy can make a fighter disappear off the face of the earth. Cannot secure any television deals or press for them. Had a stable of guys like Froch and Murray who should be far bigger than they are but seems to have no idea how to make this happen.

Would also add I don't rate GBP too highly, hardly ever develop talent from stratch and thus far have been involved in negotiations for a couple of big fights and for whatever reason couldn't get them done. Currently like was Hearn is doing, is getting a decent stable together and going back to the Benn and Eubank era Barry delivered some decent fights, if one looks at what he has done for darts and its profile if he can weave some of this magic on boxing he could be just what the sport needs.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 10:03 am

Lou Duva of Main Events, handled some of the top fighters and top fights in the 80s.

Still makes me chuckle when Kellerman announces "and you're gonna watch Lou Duva go crazy now" following the Chavez v Taylor stoppage... cue Duva already on the ring apron frothing at the mouth

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 10:09 am

Always liked Duva and his Main Events team in general. Had a lucky break, maybe, in managing to secure basically every member of that fantastic USA 1984 Olympics team, but by God he made the most of it. Also, he's a boxing man through and through with a genuine concern for the sport - not sure the same can be said for some of the other promoters you've listed.

On the domestic scene, I'm a big fan of Hearns and his Matchroom team, not just in boxing but in other sports, too. Not sure why so many haven't taken to him, the man is class.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 07 Jun 2011, 10:13 am

Lou Di Bella is my favourite. He is like the Dana White of boxing. Young, hungry, outspoken but quite funny and with fresh ideas and boxing needs more of people like hinm to revive itself

I watched an interview with Bob Arum the other day. While he is clever and well spoken you just cant help but feel he is a greedy man with outdated views

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Jun 2011, 10:24 am

So Arum has outdated views and yet Dana's format, which now mimics the WWE with promos about how fighter A is going to beat fighter B and MMA "reality shows" where teams of fighters go head to head "for the ultimate prize...a contract with the UFC" ISN'T cliched and cringeworthy? "I know, I'll get a badly faded, wildly deluded boxer with questionable dedication to his craft in to fight my oldest guy on the roster and thus prove that MMA is a legitimate contender on the world of combat sports"

Don't get me started on that asshole Joe Rogan, whose MTV style commentary makes me want to beat the **** out of him six times an hour.

"Whooooa!"

"Oooahhhh"

"Brutal...sick...crazy...wicked bad....awesome maaaan!!"

"WWwwwwoooooooWWWWWW!"

...and all shouted at 754748 decibels. Look down son, you already have a microphone!

He makes Duke McKenzie sound like Reg Gutteridge

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 07 Jun 2011, 10:32 am

I agree with a lot of what you say Dave but either way its selling so they must be doing something right

And when Arum makes comments like "No one wants to see Manny v Floyd anyway cos Floyd is so boring most people wanted to see Manny v Cotto cos thats a better fight"

No one wants to see Manny v Floyd????????????????????????

What planet is Arum on Doh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 10:45 am

Lou Di Bella comes across well

if his fighters lose like when berto vs ortiz he doesnt make excuses and he also puts a positive spin on the opposition fighter slosing like with williams vs martinez

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:58 am

Lou DiBella gave Froch nothing but praise after the Johnson fight, which impressed me. He seemed more genuine in doing so than many others would. Frank Warren being a prime example of sour grapes.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:02 pm

Yeah remember DiBella advising Taylor he should retire after the Abraham fight. Showed class a guy telling one of the biggest names and earners in his stable to hang em up.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:11 pm

As much as it pains me say it, it has to be Don King. Dodgy as they come but he always got a great fight on and usualy a pretty decent undercard.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm

The two Hearns and matchroom
I love Barry and Eddie Hearns outlook on the sport, Prizefighter has been quality, we've seen it reignite Gavin Rees into British and European lightweight champ and he will fight for a world title at some point imo. Also Martin Rogan go and win the commonwealth title and fight some crackers with Sexton. Felt sorry for the Hearns after the Khan debacle, Barry was spot on what he said about the greedy Khan, just a shame he's fighting a shot bum next time out and not Bradley who would of destroyed him.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:34 pm

I also remember DiBella (I think) giving Malignaggi a bit of a rollocking after the Hatton fight was stopped. Pwaulie was complaining and DiBella basically shot him down. He seems like he has a sense of what the fans want. Arum, take note.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:35 pm

Actually, who's the guy who promotes all the Mexicans? Oh yeah, I remember. Jose Sulaiman.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:51 pm

Not a huge fan of any of them these days, to be honest. Much prefer the self-promotion of fighters, that way we get to know if a fighter is really interested in fighting the very best or not, the buck cannot stop with their promoter.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:13 pm

i think a super 6 should be taken and put in place for all the weight divisions as well, we saw with Andre Berto and Victor Ortiz, Berto had fought a few easy fights and then was battered by a quality fighter but a fighter who was moving up, fights that kill the sport would be put to bed with a super 6

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:18 pm

Kathy Duva for me. Definaitely prefer to hang out the back of her rather than Bob Arum.

Wasn't she nearly flattened during the Mayorga Vargas brawl?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:18 pm

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxing_images/Vargas-Mayorga3.jpg
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:33 pm

i like the Hearns, be intersting to see what they do with Froch and book, that should tell us a little more abut them, prizefighter is great launching pad tho and good for getting the casual fan interested in the sport

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Easton Wed 08 Jun 2011, 4:47 pm

I don't really have a favourite promoter per se but I think DiBella is probably the most decent guy out there.

I'd think better of Golden Boy and Top Rank if they'd set aside their differences and just work together; they could put on some great shows considering the rosters of fighters they have.

Michael Easton

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:21 am

I would like to see promoters guiding their fighters throught the old school route of area to British to Commonwealth to European to world honours , rather than Warrens style of worthless trinket title to WBO belt. This was the rout taken by the likes of Lewis, Honyghan etc. Dare i say that it would help reconnect some more casual fans if there was a clearer,established career path, but back to the point of favorite promoter- bit like choosing your favourite pimp- most of them are scum - ask old fish eyes how much he made from the Benn -McCellan fight, then ask him how much he paid Gerald . As some one once said if you locked them all in a room together and came back a month later there would be nothing left but a pile of bones.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:40 am

Don King. The hair is magic.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:20 pm

have to say hearns, the prizefighter seris is much improved, and they actually seem to care about there fighters

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down