The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

joey barton to join arsenal

+8
Mark2011
Geordie
Davie
Young_Towzer
dancingweeman
sodhat
AberdeenSteve
Fernando
12 posters

Go down

joey barton to join arsenal  Empty joey barton to join arsenal

Post by Fernando Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:21 pm

Sky Bet:
We've seen money for Joey Barton to join Arsenal and have consequently cut his price to 1/2.

ill actually cry if this happens, i don't want this thug at the club

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

joey barton to join arsenal  Empty Re: joey barton to join arsenal

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm

Flip brilliant. Will add some steel to your midfield for certain, and I bet we'll get a decent price for him as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:25 pm

i can't see it being much with him being out of contract at the end of the season. your be lucky to get 4m out of wenger on a good day.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:30 pm

Definitely what Arsenal are missing is a bully in the middle of the park, whether Barton is the person to take that position I am unsure.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

£4-5m would be a good price for him, that and his wages off the bill. Makes the signing of one of Matuidi or Barnetta for realistic if he goes as we'll need a replacement.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:36 pm

The right kind of player, while perhaps not being the right kind of character.

If I were Wenger I would probably have gone for Scott Parker over Barton, if just because Parker will behave himself.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm

Barton's exactly the right kind of role model for Jack Wilshere too....

I'm with sodhat - Parker is by far the better choice in my opinion.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm

I'm guessing Wenger went for the cheapest option, and possibly because Barton has a few more years than Parker. Having replaced Nolan seemingly well with Cabaye, I hope Carr has came up with someone just as good to replace him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:28 pm

Pretty ironic if Barton joins after the fuss Wenger has always made out of people kicking his team off the park. Could be a pretty good buy for a team that lacks any grit.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:40 pm

OleH wrote:Pretty ironic if Barton joins after the fuss Wenger has always made out of people kicking his team off the park. Could be a pretty good buy for a team that lacks any grit.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em (or buy them).

It's probably still a positive move for Arsenal, but it is possible he would disrupt the dressing room I would say. Lots of big earning youngsters to poke cigars out on.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

Sky Bet:
We've seen money for Joey Barton to join Arsenal and have consequently cut his price to 1/2.

ill actually cry if this happens, i don't want this thug at the club
i am a toon fan, devestated he's going to the soft touches of the prem, but hope we don't get some driftwood as part of the deal, ie Bendtner who is championship at best or a overrated Denilson, Eboue, etc. Joey is quality, end of.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:57 pm

I'd be gutted to see Barton go to the Emirates. I hope it's not true

If the toon were to get Bendtner as part of the deal I think you'd be quite surprised though - thing he still has it in him despite being disappointing for the gooners so far

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:22 pm

Good riddence....

Barton is an overrated thug....please take him.

Nolans leadership will be missed undoubtedly....however Cabaye looks a good player.

That Matuidi looks a cracking signing also...though 13million looks a little expensive...if we can get him down to about 8...that would work.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:28 pm

🤦 You think Wenger would throw in Bendtner when he's had bids of around £10m for him?

I like Bendtner, but as someone previously mentioned, he has quite the ego. But he's better than everyone we already have upfront.

Are some of us forgetting this was his only good season for us? The rest of the time he was either in prison or injured- I appreciate his work last season and how well behaved he was (bar one mishap), but if we can get a good fee for him then I won't be losing any sleep over his loss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 17 Jun 2011, 4:14 pm

also bendtner would have the andy carroll kind of presence upfront and with a run in the team he generally scores goals.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark2011 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 12:21 pm

I think Arsenal need the Barton type of player in the midfield.

Mark2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:16 pm

Mark2011 wrote:I think Arsenal need the Barton type of player in the midfield.

Just not the Barton type of character.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:11 pm

I like Bendtner, but as someone previously mentioned, he has quite the ego. But he's better than everyone we already have upfront.
I'd honestly rather have Best and Ameobi, seriously. Bendtner is woeful imo. Demba Ba is just miles better than him

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

Just not the Barton type of character.
Don't Arsenal panic and give in when they are getting physically challenged? i always thought they did, Barton's a worker who has a never say die attitude, which would be hugely helpful for a team who i personally look at as a bunch of egomania soft touches.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:17 pm

And yet Bendtner has spent his career playing Premier League football and has almost 40 caps for his country, whereas Leon Best spent the majority of his career in the Championship. Without sounding too hurtful, you seem to overrate the majority of our players and think they're better than most other players who play in their position, despite the difference in ability being clear.

You call Arsenal a team full of ego's and then think that Barton adding his own will help them?

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:40 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:Just not the Barton type of character.
Don't Arsenal panic and give in when they are getting physically challenged? i always thought they did, Barton's a worker who has a never say die attitude, which would be hugely helpful for a team who i personally look at as a bunch of egomania soft touches.

He's also a complete liability and I wouldn't be suprised if he gets another prison sentence sometime in the future.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:53 pm

He's also a complete liability and I wouldn't be suprised if he gets another prison sentence sometime in the future.
he didn't do bad being a 'liability' last season then, scored a few and set up nearly all Carroll's goals!, i must point out it was 4 years ago, people change.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:59 pm

That was one of his only good seasons for you, he has been average since his City days.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:02 pm

Agree that his last season with us was his best- but don't agree that he'll have another prison sentence whilst having a football career. Think he's moved on from that and bar theone slip up this season he's been relatively well behaved on and off the pitch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:08 pm

I wouldn't want that poisonous little runt anywhere near my club myself. I don't care how good a footballer he is I think a club of Arsenal's standing shouldn't even be looking at him.

He is a complete liability and I'd wager my house on him doing porridge again within the next five years such is his character.

He's a proven bully. Cried like a baby when Karl Henry dared to mix it with him yet had no qualms punching Morten Pedersen in the chest for no reason whatsoever.

I'd have loved to have seen him up against Roy Keane or Graeme Souness but that's another matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:15 pm

I think there's a difference between 'mixing it' and being targetted. Barton was obviously a target for clubs to try and wind up and the way to do this was to go in hard on every tackle. I think he's shown this season he can take a hard tackle if it's fair and doesn't happen 7 or 8 times in one match.

Must admit I thought Wenger would be looking for someone who's under 23, preferably foreign and won't cost a lost in transfers or wages. If this move does come off I'll be shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm

Churchill wrote:I think there's a difference between 'mixing it' and being targetted. Barton was obviously a target for clubs to try and wind up and the way to do this was to go in hard on every tackle. I think he's shown this season he can take a hard tackle if it's fair and doesn't happen 7 or 8 times in one match.

Must admit I thought Wenger would be looking for someone who's under 23, preferably foreign and won't cost a lost in transfers or wages. If this move does come off I'll be shocked

I'd have said that it was Henry's job to target Barton and nullify his threat. It happens all the time but this was highlighted because it was Barton at the centre of things. Henry didn't get booked until the 85th minute in that game so I'd say he targeted him fairly. If he can't take more than 8 hard tackles then I'd suggest he's in the wrong job.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:47 pm

FreekShow wrote:I wouldn't want that poisonous little runt anywhere near my club myself. I don't care how good a footballer he is I think a club of Arsenal's standing shouldn't even be looking at him.

He is a complete liability and I'd wager my house on him doing porridge again within the next five years such is his character.

He's a proven bully. Cried like a baby when Karl Henry dared to mix it with him yet had no qualms punching Morten Pedersen in the chest for no reason whatsoever.

I'd have loved to have seen him up against Roy Keane or Graeme Souness but that's another matter.

Complete agree he's a thug it's a shame cowards like him & Lee Hughes make livings from the game. Wonder Wenger will go with the 'i didn't see it' when he stubs a cigar out in a youth team players eye

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:24 am

Barton will prove to be a massive loss

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Thu 23 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

Can Newcastle afford to lose Nolan and Barton ?
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jun 2011, 6:28 pm

On the field - YES
Off the field - Remains to be seen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:43 am

"On the field - YES
Off the field - Remains to be seen.."

Totally agree.

On the pitch i do think with Cabaye and if the likes of Marveaux stay fit then we have some good players coming in, that i think can add more...

However Nolan and Barton are a big influence and provide leadership and a bit of steel.
It will be interesting to see how our midfield go.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down