The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Junior world cup

4 posters

Go down

Junior world cup Empty Junior world cup

Post by HQ matt Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:40 pm

OK so for those of you who are not aware the JWC is currently taking place in Italy and is being televised on sky sports. The next fixtures take place on saturday and its the final group matches, key games to decide who makes the semi's. The tournament structure works similar to the 7's as in that those who do not qualify for the semi's will continue to participate for lower value trophys.

NZ are tradionally very strong at this level and dominate, England are more competitve than at senior level with OZ and SA also boasting strong squads. NZ have been continuing their dominance and absolutey slaghtered Wales in their group game, despite this wales still have a chance of qualifying, they need to beat Italy (the hosts) with a bonus point and hope other results go their way. France also have an outside chance to qualify but need to beat australia.

In perhaps the most competitive of the 3 groups England and SA meet each other in a decider which should be the most keenly fought contest of the day on saturday.

Who does everybody fancy to win in the decisive games on saturday and can anyone challenge the Kiwi's!

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Junior world cup Empty Re: Junior world cup

Post by welshjohn369 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

I think Wales blew it with that terrible result. The points difference will allow England to take 4th place.
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:50 pm

yes, having looked on the IRB site at the pool standings it will be nearly impossible for wales to qualify.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:54 pm

HQ matt wrote:yes, having looked on the IRB site at the pool standings it will be nearly impossible for wales to qualify.

It depends on what drawn points for best runner up is decided on. If Wales beat Italy by about 197 points they have a chance Whistle

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Montague Withnail Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:25 pm

I was wondering that myself (about Wales' chances), and have just checked the rules on the IRB website and it is points difference that will be most highly ranked.

Wales are currently on minus 66 and England are on plus 29. So it would take victory by Wales over Italy and South Africa over England with a combined points difference of 95 to make it happen.

I don't think you can rule that out completely, although it is clearly very unlikely. I could see Wales beating Italy by 60 points or so, although the fact that Italy are hosts might make them a sterner test than in the 6Ns.

Then England would have to lose by 35 points. Common sense says that won't happen, but on the other hand I can't help thinking that England are lining themselves up for a walloping at some stage. Our discipline and mastery at the breakdown have been inexplicably dreadful, and yet this side has won 7 from 7 so far this season. Eventually somebody will punish us and when it happens it could be ugly. I would not be at all surprised if it was South Africa. On the other hand there is some real talent in this team at this level and if only the team could sort those two things out it could be very interesting. Actually ball handling has also been an issue in the two games so far but I think some of that has been driven by lack of confidence stemming from poor discipline and a little bit by problems with the sun in the eyes, it was not an issue in the 6Ns.

As for England's chances of making the top tier, in the absence of that rather unlikely combination of hammerings, if Australia beat France by more than seven points (which I think is very likely) then we will go through even if we lose. So we will probably get another 2 games against top quality opposition which is great experience for these boys, quite a few of whom will be back again next year in what will likely be England’s best ever U20s side.

Montague Withnail

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm

Montague Withnail wrote:I was wondering that myself (about Wales' chances), and have just checked the rules on the IRB website and it is points difference that will be most highly ranked.

Wales are currently on minus 66 and England are on plus 29. So it would take victory by Wales over Italy and South Africa over England with a combined points difference of 95 to make it happen.

I don't think you can rule that out completely, although it is clearly very unlikely. I could see Wales beating Italy by 60 points or so, although the fact that Italy are hosts might make them a sterner test than in the 6Ns.

Then England would have to lose by 35 points. Common sense says that won't happen, but on the other hand I can't help thinking that England are lining themselves up for a walloping at some stage. Our discipline and mastery at the breakdown have been inexplicably dreadful, and yet this side has won 7 from 7 so far this season. Eventually somebody will punish us and when it happens it could be ugly. I would not be at all surprised if it was South Africa. On the other hand there is some real talent in this team at this level and if only the team could sort those two things out it could be very interesting. Actually ball handling has also been an issue in the two games so far but I think some of that has been driven by lack of confidence stemming from poor discipline and a little bit by problems with the sun in the eyes, it was not an issue in the 6Ns.

As for England's chances of making the top tier, in the absence of that rather unlikely combination of hammerings, if Australia beat France by more than seven points (which I think is very likely) then we will go through even if we lose. So we will probably get another 2 games against top quality opposition which is great experience for these boys, quite a few of whom will be back again next year in what will likely be England’s best ever U20s side.

Good stuff, you summed up in an essay what was already said in a sentence!! 🤦
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down