The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

iRB Junior World Championship

+5
greybeard
HammerofThunor
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
funnyExiledScot
MBTGOG
9 posters

Go down

iRB Junior World Championship Empty iRB Junior World Championship

Post by MBTGOG Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:19 pm

The premier competition for U20 International Rugby kicks off on 10th June in Italy.

GROUPS

Pool A

Argentina
Italy
New Zealand
Wales

Pool B

Australia
Fiji
France
Tonga

Pool C

England
Ireland
Scotland
South Africa

Thoughts? How do you expect your country to do? Any players you're keen to see? Any players you'd recommend others to keep an eye out for? Can anyone break New Zealand's winning streak?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

iRB Junior World Championship Empty Re: iRB Junior World Championship

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:33 pm

I expect Scotland to be well and truly thumped in each and every minute of every game if I'm being honest. We don't really have the same calibre of player throughout the squad as the other sides in our group.

We do however have a clutch of decent players, and two potential top internationals:

Mark Bennett (centre) - off to Clermont next season and widely regarded as the best young back Scotland have produced since Townsend.

Duncan Weir (fly half) - already has good experience in the Magners League with Glasgow and has shown good character so far in his career. A good goal kicker and a decent all rounder at 10, not afraid to attack with ball in hand. Many at Glasgow see him as a better prospect long-term than Jackson.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:36 pm

Here's the Baby Blacks squad . That Whitelock family is impressive - George captained U19 and U21, Sam's a U20WC winner and Adam's had several starts for the Crusaders this year
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:12 pm

Here's the England U20 http://www.rfu.com/News/2011/May/News%20Articles/100511_U20_squad_announcement.aspx

Looking forward to friday's game against Ireland

Edit: I'm hoping for at least semi-final. I generally see England as top 4 in this age range (only due to the last three years)

Last edited by HammerofThunor on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:14 pm

Physical group for Wales but I do expect us to beat Italy and Argentina, be interesting to see how we go against NZ. That will be a measure as to where we are really.

Steve Shingler I believe is in the squad so will be interested to see how he goes, if only to see what sort of talent the Scarlets have let go (I fear we've lost a gem!)

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:41 pm

Kiwi,

Lima Sopoaga and Same Cane are the two that I have seen in Super Rugby this season. Interesting to see what they'll be like at this level. Gareth Anscome did well for Auckland in last years ITM Cup and his dad is coach if I'm not mistaken.

fEs,

Looking forward to seeing Bennett. Some big raps on him.

Thunor,

England should have aims of at least a semi. I'm not sure how good SA but they should be the main opponent though I think if the Ireland pack can gain parity, big IF, the backs are probably in the top 3 in the comp.

Dreamer,

I think Wales could do really well in this tournament. Some very talented players especially in Morgan, Robinson and Shingler.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed 01 Jun 2011, 7:39 pm

Flaming hell, Pool C is a group of death

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:14 pm

Lads / Lasses - if it's on TV (Sky & S4C have coverage off the top of my head) it'll be in the weekly TV guide I post on Friday's , with reminders on match day thumbsup
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:20 pm

PenfroPete wrote:Lads / Lasses - if it's on TV (Sky & S4C have coverage off the top of my head) it'll be in the weekly TV guide I post on Friday's , with reminders on match day thumbsup

Pete maybe it would be worth having a word with the guys running the site that you could have a TV guide sticky section.
And also have a reminder in there on what number sky channel BBC NI Alba Scotland S4C etc can be found.

Last edited by Cymroglan on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm

Cymroglan wrote:
PenfroPete wrote:Lads / Lasses - if it's on TV (Sky & S4C have coverage off the top of my head) it'll be in the weekly TV guide I post on Friday's , with reminders on match day thumbsup

Pete maybe it would be worth having a word with the guys running the site that you could have a TV gide sticky section.
And also have a reminder in there on what number sky channel BBC NI Alba Scotland S4C etc can be found.

Good shout Cymro - I'll have a wee word. Have a Ale - thumbsup
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:05 am

Sapoanga has been in good form for the Highlanders since coming back from injury.
Not easy running a S15 backline at only 20yrs old.
Hes an excellent runner with ball in hand and doesnt mind taking it into contact.
Hes a talented kid.
(In saying that he missed a kick to touch from a penalty in 79th minute last week which enabled Lions to score matchwinning try that probably will cost Highlanders a playoff spot. furious )

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 02 Jun 2011, 7:33 am

Good Wellington lad that Sapoanga. Probably better than Cruden in a years time. Come home young fella.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down