The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Falcons Fans....New Signings

+4
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Cumbrian
TrailApe
Geordie
8 posters

Go down

Falcons Fans....New Signings Empty Falcons Fans....New Signings

Post by Geordie Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Well, we've signed some and lost some players....with ALex Gray still a debating point...will we keep him or wont we.

How do you think the new signings will go?

Are they what we need...or would you like some more...

Nice to see we have a new TH prop aswell...a big South African TH.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Falcons Fans....New Signings Empty Re: Falcons Fans....New Signings

Post by TrailApe Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:33 am

I have no clue about their worth, what I'm hoping is that someone who is knowledgeable will come along and say "Really Good Signings".

Hope is wearing thin.

(I'll still be there next season though - what else is there do to in winter?)
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:36 am

In: Rikki Sheriffe (RL Free agent), Jordi Pasqualin (Gloucester), Ryan Shortland (NSW - Australia), Jamie Helleur (Auckland Blues - NZ), Richard Mayhew (Esher), Dan Frazier (Doncaster), Will Chudley (Bedford Blues), Richard Boyle, Joe Robinson (both Tynedale), Greg Goosen (Racing Metro), Ashley Wells (Griquas)

Out: Micky Young (Leicester), Charlie Amesbury (Sale), Tane Tu'ipulotu (Japan), Josh Afu (Carcassonne), Keiran Brookes (Leicester), Rob Vickerman (England Sevens), Hall Charlton, Gcobani Bobo, Filipo Levi, Brent Wilson, Danny Williams, Ed Williamson, Tim Ryan, Micky Ward (All released)

Newcastle seem to have lost out in the yearly transfer merry-go-round again. I’m happy with some of the players they are bringing in from a developmental point of view. I was a big fan of Dan Fraizer when he was at Quins and didn’t think he would stay in the Championship very long. Pleased Falcons spotted him. Pleased that they are giving some of the local lads are getting a crack too.

However (The BIG however) we’ve been hanging on for years. Are we really in a position to be relying on youngsters? Seems a bit of a risk to me.

My biggest concern is the backrow. They win or lose the breakdown, and ours looks vert green.

Also, have we replaced the players that are going this season? Yes and No I think.

Prop

Losing Kieran Brookes is such a big blow. He is a very decent player now, but could have been the cornerstone of our pack for years and years. He’s going to Leicester where he may not get a look in. In this respect I find it hard to get excited about Wells.

As long as Murray and Golding stay fit, we should be okay. As long as Murray doesn’t spend too much time away with Scotland.

Grant Shiells
John Golding
Jamie Hall
Euan Murray
Dan Frazier
Darren Fearn
Ashley Wells

Second-row

Lock is a strange situation. We should be okay if Hudson and Van der Heijden can remain fit all season. Jeez, could be in trouble here. Don’t know anything about the two young lads they have brought in. Could be a really long season for the front five.

Glen Townson
James Hudson
Andrew van der Heijden
Richard Boyle
Joe Robinson

Back Row

We seem to be a bit light in the back-row. I’m a big fan off Will Welch and Mark Wilson is promising, but we are losing a lot of experience and not really replacing it at the moment. Added to this, if Hogg is at the WC, we are screwed. Missing a really hard nosed forward. Bit conflicted, I have a lot of faith in the young lads... but still.

Not sure about Gray. Leicester have signed another young no.8 which probably rules them out. London Irish are still circling and I reckon he has peed a few people off at the club.

Mark Wilson
Will Welch
Redford Pennycook
Ally Hogg
Tim Swinson
Richard Mayhew

Scrum-Half

Scrum-half is a bit worrying too. I know Young hasn’t been at his best this season, but he is a Saxon and proven quality. He’s been replaced with relatively unknown. Pasqualin is a former England U20 and will need to step up as backup.

Jordi Pasqualin
Chris Pilgrim
Will Chudley

Centres

I think the centres could be better, I’ve had not time at all for Bobo and I reckon getting him off the wage bill will have freed up a significant amount of salary cap (unbelievably). Shortland looks like a strong player in his prime and is English qualified (waiting for the comments). Don’t really know anything about Jamie Helleur. We are losing Rob Vickerman and Tane Tu'ipulotu

James Fitzpatrick
Michael Tait
Luke Eves
Ryan Shortland
Jamie Helleur

Wing

Replacing one dodgy ex-leaguer with another. Joy.

Alex Tait Wing
Luke Fielden
Rikki Sheriffe

Full-back

Hope Tom Catterick gets more game time next season.

Jeremy Manning
Tom Catterick
Greg Goosen
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:44 am

Just somebody tell me 'It's going to be alright'

You don't even have to believe it yourself Sad
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:53 am

Things aren't all negative, we have some very promising players. I mean I expect Leicester to be sounding Will Welch and Tom Catterick out any year now.

It's difficult to know what to say really. We are going to need some of the younger lads to step up and perform.

I'm worried.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 am

'It'll be fine.'
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:59 am

Cumbrian wrote:Back Row

We seem to be a bit light in the back-row. I’m a big fan off Will Welch and Mark Wilson is promising, but we are losing a lot of experience and not really replacing it at the moment. Added to this, if Hogg is at the WC, we are screwed. Missing a really hard nosed forward. Bit conflicted, I have a lot of faith in the young lads... but still.

Not sure about Gray. Leicester have signed another young no.8 which probably rules them out. London Irish are still circling and I reckon he has peed a few people off at the club.

Mark Wilson
Will Welch
Redford Pennycook
Ally Hogg
Tim Swinson
Richard Mayhew

Cumbrian, reckon you should be ok - Ali H is not in the provisional training squad, so would appear to be behind Beattie, Vernon and youngster Denton in Andy Robinson's thinking thumbsup

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:01 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:Back Row

Mark Wilson
Will Welch
Redford Pennycook
Ally Hogg
Tim Swinson
Richard Mayhew

Cumbrian, reckon you should be ok - Ali H is not in the provisional training squad, so would appear to be behind Beattie, Vernon and youngster Denton in Andy Robinson's thinking thumbsup

Cheers, well at least that is something to be positive about.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:37 pm

'It'll be fine.'
I'm not doubting your sexuality here Cumbrian - so don't take this the wrong way

but

When my wife say's fine - just like that - as in "Yes that's Fine" - that's when I know I'm in really, really, deep shoite.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:30 pm

http://www.journallive.co.uk/newcastle-sports/north-east-rugby/newcastle-falcons/2011/06/28/newcastle-falcons-refusing-to-leave-signings-61634-28952777/

Been reading that there's been talk of some seriously good players. Smithy mentioned that they attempted (and came close to) getting Joe Rockoco! What a coup that would have been.

Seems they’ve really tried to get a good openside flanker too, but have missed out on Hendre Fourie and Julian Salvi. It’s a shame that they couldn’t land either of those because they are both experienced at Premiership level.

Thing is, the more time goes on and the more targets they miss out on the less hopeful I am getting. At this rate we are going to pick a SH journeyman pensioner who has got no stomach for a relegation scrap. To be honest, I’m getting to the opinion that rather than scrape the barrel, we stick with what we’ve got. Why go out of your way in search of pricey mediocrity?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Confirmed the signing of Joe Robinson, another one of my fellow countymen, I'm liking it! 6'3 seems a little small for a lock, will probably end up in the backrow unless he plans to grow another 3-4 inches in the next couple of years. (ohh left that open for someone!)

http://www.newcastle-falcons.co.uk/36_6800.php

It is all very promising, but 'promising' isn't what we need right now. ANyway, I'll wish the lad luck and hope he progresses well.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:42 pm

I think thats the problem Cumbrian, we always have this conveyor belt of promising academy players coming through...we're up with the best in regards to that.

But what they need is to come in to a team with some settled top flight pros who can advise / guide them on the pitch.

However i worry about brining in experienced journeymen.

In centre i wanted a real top drawer player to help with Fitzy and Eves development but we got Shortland and Helluer. lll hold my judgement till i see them on the pitch, but im guessing they wont be what we're looking for.

We have a decent SR combo...where will swinson play this season?

I just think its gonna be another long hard slog next season....watching drivel.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:52 pm

PS....

How do you see the team....something like?

1 Golding
2 Vickers
3 Murray
4 Hudson
5 Van der Heijden
6 Swinson / Mayhew
7 Welch / Pennycook / Wilson
8 Hogg

9 Pilgrim
10 Gopperth
11 Fielden
12 Helleur
13 Eves
14 Shortland
15 Catterick

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:14 am

New skills coach appointed at the Falcons: Calum MacRae

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:33 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:PS....

How do you see the team....something like?

1 Golding
2 Vickers
3 Murray
4 Hudson
5 Van der Heijden
6 Swinson / Mayhew
7 Welch / Pennycook / Wilson
8 Hogg

9 Pilgrim
10 Gopperth
11 Fielden
12 Helleur
13 Eves
14 Shortland
15 Catterick

Pretty close I think.

I think you have the tight five bang on, it is the best that can be put out. We start to struggle once injuries/ international take their toll. Looking at the options:

-Ashley Wells, I don’t know a huge amount about him, will he be able to cope in a new environment? He can also cover both sides of the scrum, a phrase that usually worries me in unproven players.

-Grant Shiels, Darren Fearns and Dan Frazier have potential but they are very young for props and will take a few hammerings before they come right.

-James Hall has picked up quite a serious injury.

I think you have the second-row correct too, with Swinson splitting time between the 2nd and back-row.

The back-row is dependant upon getting an open-side and what their quality is. I wouldn’t be devastated if Welch made the position his own though. From what I’ve read about Mayhew he is very much a no.8 first and a flanker second.

The half back pairing writes itself. Whatever you believe about Gopperth, be it saviour or limiter of play he is there to stay.

The centres are going to be difficult to call, I reckon rotation will be the name of the game.

Wings are about right too I think.

Fullback is an interesting one. I really want Catterick to get plenty of game time next year but with Jeremy Manning, Greg Goosen and Alex Tait also vying for the position, I wonder if he’ll get the opportunity.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Yes it's odd, and a shame, that Catterick signs up and then his playing opportunities appear to be limited.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:12 pm

Newcastle have signed lock forward Josh Beaumont (Yes, Bill is his dad). He will be dual registered with Flyde. I know he is young and inexperienced, but that is quite an exciting signing.

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-2011-12/rugby/story/143137.html
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:08 pm

Yeah i noticed this one Cumbrian. We have signed a couple of very young and promising Second Rows havent we...and this one looks a very promising signing.

Do you think this will pretty much signal Swinson at 6 now?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:20 am

Not sure how much we’ll see og him this year to be honest. He is concentrating on his University studies.

I’ve been digging around too, seems quite a big lad for too 6ft 7in and 17st+ at 19. Give him a year or two to fill out and he will be up at around the magical 18 stone mark.

It looks like we (or Leicester Crying or Very sad ) might have a formidable engine room in they years to come.

RE: Swinson, it does seem that with all of the SR cover (young and old) being brought in, they really are starting to view Swinson as a backrower. It is fine by me, it could add some power into our carrying.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:30 pm

What is your view on the Alex Gray situation? I've been reading various message-boards and there appears to be a view that we are holding him and other clubs to ransom over the proposed transfer fee.

I must admit that I am not really comfortable with the idea of trying to force a player who wants to leave, to stay. On the other hand, I am sick of losing promising players that have come through the clubs system who have given no game time back to the club.

I don't understand what has happened between him and the club that makes him so desperate to leave. The stumbling block was the two year deal, but now it looks like he won't even accept the one year deal he wanted in the first place.

I don’t really understand his position to be honest. If he stayed at the club for two years he would be sure to get a good number of games (in the region of 10-15) which I doubt he would get at Leicester or most other clubs. He could then leave the club at 22 and with a relatively good amount of topflight experience, without alienating Falcons fans. What happens if he goes to Leicester or most other clubs now? He may not get any game time and could be left to stagnate for a year. I’m guessing (just guessing) there may have been a severe falling out somewhere.

Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:38 pm

I think there needs to be some big compensation rules brought in. Or is there already? im not sure. We have lost a significant number of top drawer academy talent for nothing.

Clubs that produce players are getting penalised massively.

Im in your camp that i dont want someone playing for us who simply doesnt want to be there...no matter how good...

Re becoming stagnant....If thats the option they choose and they find their chances seriously limited (I dont think Gray would, where as i think Brooks will) then its their choice. I would rather give myself an extra season of guarenteed games to continue development then move if required.

Even Twelvetrees is struggling to get game time with the Tigers.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Twelvetrees re-joined at the same time as Allen signed up (I saw them play side by side vs Nottingham in pre season). At that time Allen looked a bit lightweight and a bit under confident. Billy looked full of flair but very raw. What happened was that Allen worked hard on his weaknesses and forced his way into the reckoning whilst Billy has progressed far more slowly and has therefore found game time harder to come by. Cockers has always said the player must deserve the shirt.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Sam, (once again welcome back!)

I couldnt agree more with Cockers....a player must fight for the shirt.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by tooboredtowork Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:25 pm

I figure the battle at the bottom will be between your guys, ours (Worcester) and Sale, with possibly one or two unexpected teams having a flirtation with the bottom. Sale have made some impressive signings and lots will depend upon how quickly they gel, but under Diamond they will doubtless have a teak tough and solid pack.
I hope that we have made some good signings. We have also lost a good youngster to the Tiger's bench. I cannot understand it for rugby reasons, so can only conclude that it is down to the pull of the pound.
Anyway, I wish you all the luck for the upcoming season, and I am preparing my nails for some serious chewing.

tooboredtowork

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:36 pm

No offense but I think you've probably got the weakest squad of all the prem teams on paper and if I was a betting man then you would be my pick for relegation next season (sorry) Crying or Very sad. I look at that team and I can't really see you being competitive enough at the breakdown to cause other teams enough problems.

I really do hope you prove me wrong as I want both you and Sale to continue to carry the flag for Union in the north and unless your playing the Saints then I will be cheering you on.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:54 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think there needs to be some big compensation rules brought in. Or is there already? im not sure. We have lost a significant number of top drawer academy talent for nothing.

Clubs that produce players are getting penalised massively.

Im in your camp that i dont want someone playing for us who simply doesnt want to be there...no matter how good...

Re becoming stagnant....If thats the option they choose and they find their chances seriously limited (I dont think Gray would, where as i think Brooks will) then its their choice. I would rather give myself an extra season of guarenteed games to continue development then move if required.

Even Twelvetrees is struggling to get game time with the Tigers.

I've been looking at the Tigers players section (still under construction) and I find it very interesting to note that they have Brookes down as a hooker.

http://www.leicestertigers.com/squad/players.php?player=85103&includeref=dynamic

I know that he played there a little for us, but it wasn't a lot at all was it? Perhaps they have long term plans to mould him there? He could form part of a monstrously big front row!

Then again it could be an error early in that section of the website's construction. I'll be interested to find out.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:46 pm

What happened was that Allen worked hard on his weaknesses and forced his way into the reckoning whilst Billy has progressed far more slowly and has therefore found game time harder to come by.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although Billy has started 5 consecutive games for the Saxons at IC, which I believe is 5 times more starts in that position than Leicester have given him.

Cockerill doesn't like the cut of his jib. However, it was clear from a Leicester local paper interview earlier in the summer that Twelvetrees is starting to get fed up with his treatment.

Either Cockerill has to change his attitude, or Billy will be at another club this time next season. It'll be Leicester's loss if he goes.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Yeah Brookes at hooker would be interesting......That whould be a large front row indeed....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:14 pm

So more speculation, this time about Ryan Cross.

I know he is a good player, but do we really want a 31/32 year old who may have his heart in rugby league anyway? Also he is a centre, do we really need another one? We’ve already got Ryan Shortland, Luke Eves, Jamie Helleur, James Fitzpatrick and players who can cover like Michael Tait. People could point out that he is better than the players we have, but for how much longer?

It seems academic to me because with the way we’ve been playing the centres won’t get the ball anyway, GIVE IT TO JIMMY! Oh, he’s kicked it away.

It also doesn’t solve the problems in the back-row either. We are a few injuries away from being in serious trouble. Right now we’ve only got Redford Pennycook, Will Welch, Mark Wilson, Ally Hogg and Richard Mayhew. Forget Cross and get a gnarly Bar Steward back-row.

We’ve released:

Brent Wilson
Josh Afu
Ed Wiliamson
Filipo Levi
Alex Gray (?)
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:19 pm

Finally happened, Gray has got his way and left to joing London Irish:

http://www.london-irish.com/news/Irish62068.ink
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Cumbrian haven't you signed a big Samoan international are a replacement?

I doubt Brookes will play hooker, Tigers have Chuter, Hawkins, Tom Youngs at the club and Jimmy Stevens out on loan at Nottingham. More likely he'll cover 3 during the RWC and 6N as that's where we'll be weakest folloing Big Jules retirement (he's only staying for the RWC).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:55 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Cumbrian haven't you signed a big Samoan international are a replacement?

I doubt Brookes will play hooker, Tigers have Chuter, Hawkins, Tom Youngs at the club and Jimmy Stevens out on loan at Nottingham. More likely he'll cover 3 during the RWC and 6N as that's where we'll be weakest folloing Big Jules retirement (he's only staying for the RWC).

Newcastle have signed Taiasina Tu'ifua who is more of a lock than a back rower, probably with the view of Swinson becoming a full time blindside.

I still find it very dispiriting, I’ve know Gray was on the way out for a long time now, but now that it has actually happened it is very disappointing. I’ve been following the progress/ hype of this lad for years through A league fixture, match reports from England age grade and match reports from local teams he’s been loan to. I thought he was going to be a Falcons captain for years to come, now leaves after playing just over a dozen times… It feels like a bit of a kick in the stomach to be honest.

People might think I’m overreacting because he is a relatively untested player, but I’m not. He is going to be a very, very good player and it will be London Irish fans not Falcons Fans who benefit.

Ooh that was a good whine. Crying or Very sad
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Im totally with you Cumbrian....its just another one on the conveyor belt gone.

Lets hope the likes of Wilson, Beaumont, Catterick etc can make up for it by showing both ability AND loyalty.

At least Newcastle are doing their part for the England cause eh Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down