The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashley Young joins Manchester United for £17 million

+18
The genius of PBF
matth7
Mark2011
Kay Fabe
Fernando
pauline1981
Ent
Mat
BigPhil
Perfect Jack
Sir. badgerhands
Thomond
westisbest
Forward Pass
Fists of Fury
compelling and rich
ADMIN
Crimey
22 posters

Go down

Ashley Young joins Manchester United for £17 million Empty Ashley Young joins Manchester United for £17 million

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:39 am

Winger Ashley Young has signed for Manchester United from Premier League rivals Aston Villa on a five-year deal.

The 25-year-old, reported to have cost United about £17m, passed his medical with the league champions on Thursday.

"The opportunity to come to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world is one I couldn't turn down," the former Watford player told MUTV.

"It is a chance to hopefully become part of history by helping them to win their 20th title."

Young had been at Villa for more than four years after joining from the Hornets but only had one year left on his contract.

He becomes the club's second signing of the summer following the arrival of Phil Jones with Watford set to get 15% of any figure above the £9.65m transfer fee Villa paid to take him from Vicarage Road.

A new goalkeeper also remains on manager Sir Alex Ferguson's shopping list to replace Edwin van der Sar, with Atletico Madrid's David de Gea tipped to take the number one jersey.

Young began his professional career at Watford and made his first-team debut in 2003. He shone for the club during the 2005/2006 season and helped them achieve promotion after they beat Leeds United in the play-off final.

In January 2007, Young signed for Villa, where he scored 38 goals in 190 appearances, and later that year finally made his England debut as a substitute in the friendly against Austria.

He now hopes to establish himself at Old Trafford, but admits it will be a challenge to earn a regular spot in Ferguson's starting XI.

"There's a lot of competition for places at the club," he added. "If you are in the team there is always going to be someone biting away at your heels trying to get in.

"I'm going to be coming in looking to establish myself in the team. I know it is going to be a challenge, but I'm up for that challenge.

"It is a fantastic team. The club always produces fantastic players. They have that winning mentality.

"I hope to be a part of that this season. I can't wait to get started.

"It is a prospect I always looked at from being a child - to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world. I've got that opportunity now so I've just got to take it with two hands."

United and England team-mate Rio Ferdinand was one of the first to respond to the arrival of Young at Old Trafford.

"Welcoming Ashley Young to Manchester United - another top, hungry and young player joins the ranks," he stated on his Twitter page.

Wayne Rooney welcomed the winger and believes he will soon be helping to create plenty of goals at Old Trafford.

He said on Twitter: "Nice to see Ash Young sign today. Great player. Looking forward to some assists off him."

And fellow striker Michael Owen added on Twitter: "Great to hear the Ashley Young deal has been finalised. Great addition to the squad."

Aidy Boothroyd, Young's former manager at Watford, said the winger would benefit from the prospect of playing for Ferguson's team.

"He is a wiry little thing and he hasn't grown very much since he left Watford," Boothroyd told BBC Sport.

"He is very talented and was always willing to practice certain aspects of his game. He is a brilliant team player and so athletically gifted. Even when he wasn't having a great game, he was capable of changing a game with a goal or creating one for a team-mate.

"The move to Old Trafford will do him the world of good. It is a move that will stretch him again, but he has the character to handle the next stage."

Peter Taylor, who gave Young his England Under-21 debut, said that midfielder would prove to be an invaluable asset for United.

"He will offer United real attacking adaptability and options," added the former England coach.

"Ashley showed last season he can play in a couple of positions, he is tremendous at set-pieces and scores and creates goals. He provides an end product and he will get plenty of opportunities to do that at Old Trafford."

Meanwhile, BBC Match of the Day analyst Mark Lawrenson also thinks Young and United will suit each other perfectly.

"He is playing for a manager in Ferguson who loves wide players and who loves to throw people forward so he should be right at home," Lawrenson told BBC Sport. "Young also had a great record of assists at Villa and you can be sure he will have more at United because he will have so much more of the ball."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13882802.stm

So what does everybody think about the move?

I've heard very mixed opinions on Ashley Young, usually they vary from he's pretty average to world class. I think he's probably somewhere in the middle, I don't think he's particuarly brilliant, I certainly don't think he'll become a United legend or anything like that, he'll almost definetly get a starting England place now he's at United though. £17 million is also a very good price for him considering today's market and that if he had a longer contract he could have been going for £30 million plus. Could this be the sign that Nani is off though?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ashley Young joins Manchester United for £17 million Empty Re: Ashley Young joins Manchester United for £17 million

Post by ADMIN Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:45 am

As soon as Utd seemed interested I thought Nani would be off as makeweight to prise Sneijder from Inter, I still hope that's the case!

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Ashley Young joins Manchester United for £17 million Empty Re: Ashley Young joins Manchester United for £17 million

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:48 am

It seems harsh to sell Nani after he had a good season for you last year, although he seemed to be less and less of a part of your side.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:04 am

He started off well but certainly became more and more a smaller part of the team as the season progressed so I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 am

dont think nani will be going, we got nani valencia and now young as our attacking winger option. fergie oftens rotates alot now so they will get plenty of games between them.

last season valencia got injured and we were lacking another winger other than nani. we had giggs and park playing on the wing which at times not ideal. as both played alot better when playing in the middle.

as for young, he needs to find some consistency. as at times he's great but others he can go missing. there no doubt he will find more oppurtinity to play his game at united. he will also not be able to slack off as he might have been able to at villa because there alot more pressure for his place

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:06 am

As an Aston Villa fan myself I can safely say that Manchester Utd have got themselves a very good player. Almost 40 goals in 130 odd appearances is a very decent return for a winger, and he had our most assists every season he played for us.

We had 4 solid years out of him, where he developed his raw talent into a real quality player. Boundless energy, good pace, never scared to take a player on or try something out, a great crosser of the ball and dangerous from set pieces.

Sure he can be frustrating at times, as can many players of a similar style to his, but overall he was a huge asset to Aston Villa, and I can't see any reason why he won't be to Man Utd.

He will sure be missed, but I'd like to thank him for 4 years of good service down at Villa Park, can't begrudge him this move he deserves it, and I hope he does well there.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:11 am

Good signing for utd
Def think Nani will leave as he be the 3rd winger and at this transfer window he has value
still need quality midfielder though
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:51 pm

I didn't like Young once upon a time. Just as he was breaking into the England setup, I didn't think he had it in him.

He seems to have progressed much further last season after being given a freer role in the team and captain's armband.

Still reserving judgement.. But watch this space.

edit: 17mill for an Established England International... Bargin if he performs.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:45 pm

We'll miss him at Villa
Agree with fists of fury(good to see another villa fan on here, dont know how many are on here).

All the best to him.

Now McLeish, use the money well.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:49 pm

So it's cheaper to sign an established English international than a rookie?(i.e Jordan Henderson) The mind boggles Shocked

It's not a bad price for an English player although they are still overpriced.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:06 pm

Another Villian here!!! Smile

Utd have got themselves a decent player for a price that in todays market is a bargain.

Here's hoping we can keep hold of Downing.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfect Jack Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:42 am

Quality signing gives us another option for the left wing or through the middle. Hope Nani doesn't go as I still think he can produce the goods and become a top-level winger for us.

Perfect Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhil Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:17 am

His contract is coming to an end and I think Villa just wanted some money for him as he wasn't keen on signing a new deal. He's a top player though and at United he'll be a big star.

BigPhil

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:23 am

I really don't rate the bloke,and I can't stand him as a footballer either.Whenever I've seen him play,he's been poor.Saying that,his recent performances for England have been very good in fairness to him.

He goes to ground very easily and I think that his set piece delivery is hit and miss to say the least.Can't see him playing behind the striker,I believe he'll play left hand side ahead of Nani with Valencia on the right(Now he is good!)

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 am

I don't rank a 25 year old who was left out of a world cup squad that flopped 1 year ago an established international.

In reality we have paid £17million for a peripheral international with no European experience who is in the last year of his contract.

Time will tell if he is a good transfer but so far £33million spent and still weaker than last season.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:52 am

i except at least 25 goals from young

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:55 am

pauline1981 wrote:i except at least 25 goals from young

And I expect you'll be dissapointed then.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:59 am

i wont be iv e set my target low that ronaldo bloke scored loads and young his nearly as good

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:00 am

skybet stupid move of the summer

nani 5/1 favorite to join arsenal with samir nasri moving the other way.

young isn't as good as ronaldo in fact not even close at all and will need atleast a season to settle to united way of playing

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:10 am

if by nearly as good you mean no where near then yes ashley young is as nearly good as ronaldo

would rather have nani over nasri. lot more end product to nanis game than arsenals typical pass pass pass which comes to nothing

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:19 am

compelling and rich wrote:if by nearly as good you mean no where near then yes ashley young is as nearly good as ronaldo

would rather have nani over nasri. lot more end product to nanis game than arsenals typical pass pass pass which comes to nothing
thats what i meant lol

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:45 am

Why did United need Young? Nani and Valencia are doing a great job. Get the cntre of midfield sorted first.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfect Jack Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:13 am

To add another option to left wing I think. Nani cuts inside far too often and that becomes easy to defend against and Nani prefers the right also. Valencia for me is first choice right winger and Park can play both wings.

I'd say we get Modric around late August/deadline day.

Perfect Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:50 pm

I don't rate Young at all, he does have his moments but anyone that greedy normally does

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark2011 Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:31 am

As a United fan, i am very happy with the transfer of Ashley Young as he is a good player with great ability and is a great dribbler, can cross well, is fast and pacey.

It will be interesting if Fergie starts Young ahead of Nani or Valencia, if not then i think this transfer will put Valencia and Nani on their toes and they now know that if they have a poor season then they will be replaced by Young.

Mark2011

Back to top Go down

Post by matth7 Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:46 pm

very good signing , our fans were saying we didn't need a winger should be lucky that we got him

matth7

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Ashley Young very overrated not worth 17 million pounds...think United made a mistake...Valencia and Nani are way superior to him.

A headless chicken...Could have bought the likes of Gotze and Hazard.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:37 pm

Stick to pretending to be Floyd Mayweather, PBF.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:52 pm

Stick to knowing nothing about one sport in boxing TopHat...Did I touch a nerve tophat?...Ashley Young is very overrated.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:45 am

Young is a better player than Valencia in my opinion.

I've never rated Valencia as Utd class.

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:47 am

What a waste of money. Man U must have money to burn, saying that, he's still far better than "winger but can't get past no-one" Downing. thumbsup
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:49 am

I've never rated Valencia as Utd class.
He was amazing at Wigan, helped them stay 8th/9th for a while before he was sold off. I don't think the Mankers play to his strengths though as they are really defensive minded.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:53 am

The genius of PBF wrote:Stick to knowing nothing about one sport in boxing TopHat...Did I touch a nerve tophat?...Ashley Young is very overrated.

When Liverpool are paying the same or more for players like Downing and Henderson he's definitely not overpriced, and he's not being touted as United's or England's best player so don't see how he's over-rated particularly. He's put in a good show for United almost whenever he's played this season and would get into almost any side in the Prem bar maybe City n Spurs.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark2011 Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:40 am

Young has been very disappointing so far at United.

Mark2011

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:04 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
The genius of PBF wrote:Stick to knowing nothing about one sport in boxing TopHat...Did I touch a nerve tophat?...Ashley Young is very overrated.

When Liverpool are paying the same or more for players like Downing and Henderson he's definitely not overpriced, and he's not being touted as United's or England's best player so don't see how he's over-rated particularly. He's put in a good show for United almost whenever he's played this season and would get into almost any side in the Prem bar maybe City n Spurs.

Downing is cack as well like Young...Henderson was overpriced like most English players...He was touted as one of the best wingers in the league when clearly isn't...since the Arsenal and Basle games he has been very poor.

Dont think he would get in teams like City, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal...N'zogbia his replacement is better than him at Villa just been misused by the awful Mcleish.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:28 am

Said he wouldn't get into Citeh or Spuds, but he'd get into Chelsea by virtue of being as good if not better than both Ramires and Malouda (but worse than Mata, for example, who's one of the best wingers in the Prem). He'd walk into 'Pool who're an embarrassment frankly and he's as good as Rosicky or Arshavin (this season) at Arsenal.

And as for Charles Insomnia don't be silly, talented but massively inconsistent and could never perform at a top side when merely occasionally exciting.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:07 am

Ashley Young isn't overrated. If people were going round declaring him world class then he would, but nobody is doing that so I would argue he isn't overrated

Somebody also mentions since the Arsenal and Basel games he's been cack....he's also been injured...twice, which doesn't really help things for him

My problem with Young is he is far too predictable at times. When we signed him he started off on fire because nobody knew how United were going to have him play, but over time you can guarentee that 99% of the time he is running at a defender he will cut inside to try and shoot. If he starts beating his man on the outside (which he is capable of) and then playing the ball into the box then he can mix it up and players will struggle to defend against him.

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:41 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Said he wouldn't get into Citeh or Spuds, but he'd get into Chelsea by virtue of being as good if not better than both Ramires and Malouda (but worse than Mata, for example, who's one of the best wingers in the Prem). He'd walk into 'Pool who're an embarrassment frankly and he's as good as Rosicky or Arshavin (this season) at Arsenal.

And as for Charles Insomnia don't be silly, talented but massively inconsistent and could never perform at a top side when merely occasionally exciting.

Ramires is a midfielder not a winger and Malouda is past his best, Young will never be as good as him...Rosicky is a playmaker not a winger and Arshavin has lost the plot...Rosicky has never been the same since his injury far better than Young in his prime.

After watching Chamberlain we can now add Arsenal to that list...True about Liverpool I think Suarez is incredibly overrated.

United have the two best wingers in the league in Nani and Valencia, cant see Young getting a look in...Add the criminally underrated Carrick and when Cleverley comes back they have a great chanceto win the league.

N'zogbia is better than Young has outshone him in the last few seasons...He is not producing this season because of the awful McLeish.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:56 am

I seriously don't know what goggles you watch football through, agree/disagree is out the window, you're just nuts! That's the most non-sensical gobledigook I've ever read!!

Charles Insomnia has never outshone anything or anyone, unless you count those brief flashes where he looks exciting which, if you added them all up, still wouldn't get to 90 minutes let alone a career!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:39 am

Young has been a good signing for United and when he has a few more games under his belt will show it. He started off well at United before his injury and I have no doubt that he will improve. As a team player he is much better than Nani but he is also a different type of player. To say N'zogbia is playing better than him I would say is a surprise as apart from him setting up Keane's goal against Newcastle at the weekend I cant think of anything he has done this season.

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down