The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(off topic) Do Ping endorse Wayne Rooney?

+2
drive4show
McLaren
6 posters

Go down

(off topic) Do Ping endorse Wayne Rooney?  Empty (off topic) Do Ping endorse Wayne Rooney?

Post by McLaren Sat 12 Feb 2011, 8:40 pm

During his post match interview today, after scoring his wonder goal winner, I noticed that Rooney was wearing a hat with the logo you get on old school ping putter grips. Odd that he would wear this as he is endorsed by nike, as are man utd, so why was he wearing it.

Take a look.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/9395787.stm

I did not even know he played golf.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

(off topic) Do Ping endorse Wayne Rooney?  Empty Re: (off topic) Do Ping endorse Wayne Rooney?

Post by drive4show Sat 12 Feb 2011, 9:11 pm

I can just imagine him turning up at some posh Cheshire course in his Bentley Continental with all the gear. Wearing a shellsuit :606laugh:

Oi Wayne....... NO! :yellow card:

drive4show

Back to top Go down

(off topic) Do Ping endorse Wayne Rooney?  Empty Re: (off topic) Do Ping endorse Wayne Rooney?

Post by Maverick Sun 13 Feb 2011, 7:18 am

I knew he played as there was something in the press during the world cup last year where he was asked to leave the course due to inappropriate attire, according to the tabloids he retorted "do you know who I am and your asking me to leave the course"

Apparently to the same tabloid the Saffa pro that asked him to leave simply responded by saying " ypu could be the bloody queen and I'd still ask you to leave for wearing that get up, here we play a game with class and respect for the rules, if you wanna play a game where you pretend to be any good and with no class go back on the footy pitch and carry on doing what you have been all tournament so far. Oh and get off my course"

Well done the pro

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 13 Feb 2011, 3:29 pm

Mav

I have to say I take a different view, it is sad to see anyone questioned on the course for what they are wearing. A very narrow minded view from the pro. So what he probably wore some nike sportsware, it is not like actual golf attire is very nice to look at. I real shame to here such outdated opinions exist all over the world.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 13 Feb 2011, 3:39 pm

So based on your view then Mac I should be able to turn up wearing a footy shirt, a pair of running. Shorts and trainers like Rooney then.

So it makes my opinion outdated that correct Golf attire should be worn on a course e.g. Polo Shirt and trousers/tailored shorts, well then I'm glad my opinion is outdated and not shared with you, as I feel there nothing wrong with a correct dress code on the course, as for golf clothing not very nice again I beg to differ there's some really good, Nike, Puma, and other manufacturers making modern gear for the more fashionable golfer. Its not all about plus fours and tweeds!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 13 Feb 2011, 3:45 pm

Maverick wrote:So based on your view then Mac I should be able to turn up wearing a footy shirt, a pair of running. Shorts and trainers like Rooney then.

Yes why not?

As far as I can see golf fashion peaked in about 1930. The new stuff is ghastly. Golfers would not look out of place at a gypsy wedding.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 13 Feb 2011, 3:49 pm

So it is all about tweeds for you then Mac.

No one said you have to wear bright colours but seriously you find those worse than someone playing TOC wearing a footy strip and trainers! Have a word with yourself please!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 13 Feb 2011, 3:54 pm

Mav

Did you miss the dress code threads on 606? It is safe to say I do not believe in a dress code. So yes it would be ok for someone to wear footie shirts on TOC.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 13 Feb 2011, 4:05 pm

McLaren wrote:Mav

Did you miss the dress code threads on 606? It is safe to say I do not believe in a dress code. So yes it would be ok for someone to wear footie shirts on TOC.

Obviously must have missed that one.

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree then MAC but p.s. your wrong! thumbsup

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Sun 13 Feb 2011, 4:52 pm

i dont beleive in a dress code either

i wear golfing clothes and a couple of yers back my trousers ere the main topic in the clubhouse.....but i cant fit into them now!!! Rolling Eyes
we all know how expensive good quality golf clothing can cost and this is one of ther reasons i dont believe in the dress code( not that affordability is a problem to wayne rooney)

the thing that puzzles me is why someone who goes for a game of golf wouldnt make the effort to wear something suitable. any one who turns up like :geordiekit: is just trying to attract attention.

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun 13 Feb 2011, 5:06 pm

It never ceases to amaze me that people think there is no need for a dress code on the golf course. It is there for a reason. If you start dropping standards, where does it end? We have all seen the cheating culture that is part of football. If people start turning up at golf clubs looking like they are about to play football, how long before they start acting like footballers? Is that what you really want to see in golf clubs?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Sun 13 Feb 2011, 5:45 pm

D4S

What is the reason for the dress code?

this year the player who won our order of merit is a 3 hcap golfer who less than a year ago was playing in club competitions with trackie bottoms on. to be fair to the guy he now dresses like a golfer and plays like one too ! i find it is generally people who are new to the game or for years only played social golf with their mates.....or skipped on the local muni...who dont dress like the rest of us !

golf is for the people....what ever they wear thumbsup

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 13 Feb 2011, 5:50 pm

Saw the Ping hat at the time and wondered about it. Have to say though, what a stupid hat. Ping should be ashamed of even having that in their lineup.

As to dress codes, it's been done to death. Private clubs can do (more or less) what they like. If a Saffa pro told Shrek to naff off then more power to him I say.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun 13 Feb 2011, 6:01 pm

lieger

If you don't want to conform to a dress code then that's fine, your choice.
However, you will find that you won't be able to play the vast majority of courses. And you certainly won't be able to join a club. But that's your choice. You are only depriving yourself, it doesn't affect me.

Football tops, tracksuits etc are associated with loutish behaviour. You get fights between rival gangs of football supporters every week up and down the country but I've never seen or heard of a fight between rival golf club members. That type of behaviour is not appropriate in a golf club, that's why there is a dress code.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Sun 13 Feb 2011, 6:26 pm

drive4show wrote:lieger

If you don't want to conform to a dress code then that's fine, your choice.
However, you will find that you won't be able to play the vast majority of courses. And you certainly won't be able to join a club. But that's your choice. You are only depriving yourself, it doesn't affect me.

Football tops, tracksuits etc are associated with loutish behaviour. You get fights between rival gangs of football supporters every week up and down the country but I've never seen or heard of a fight between rival golf club members. That type of behaviour is not appropriate in a golf club, that's why there is a dress code.

firstly I do conform to the dress code i was brought up that way and 1st and formost i am golfer but i do not beleive that there should be a dress code.

secondly it is YOU who associates loutish behavior with football tops and tracksuits......when the local athletics club get together do the locals board up their windows and cower behind their sofas!!!!!!

dont think so

why do you assume that having no dress code means people will wear football tops.????

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun 13 Feb 2011, 6:44 pm

[quote="liegerwoods"]
drive4show wrote:lieger

secondly it is YOU who associates loutish behavior with football tops and tracksuits......when the local athletics club get together do the locals board up their windows and cower behind their sofas!!!!!!

dont think so

why do you assume that having no dress code means people will wear football tops.????

Firstly, I have never seen people from an athletics club wearing football tops. Also, from my experience, members of athletics clubs are very disciplined people that have no problem wearing the required clothing. I've never seen an athlete compete in the 100m wearing jeans, football shirt or hoody. Have you?

Secondly, if you read back over the numerous posts on 606 about dress code, you will see that there are quite a few people have said on there that they don't believe there should be a dress code and that football tops, tracksuits and even topless should be allowed on golf courses.

And finally, I'm not an old fuddy duddy, I have lots of stylish golf clothing and if you shop around, you can buy it for very reasonable money. Certainly less than a football shirt.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Sun 13 Feb 2011, 6:53 pm

the reference to the athletics club was regarding the tracksuits

as for someone doing the 100m in jeans footy top or hoody, surely those items of clothing would surely hamper the athletes performance. you can still swing a golf club in a pair of jeans and a t shirt. as i said it is genarally people who are not serious golfers who do not wear golf gear but by dropping the dress code these people are more likeky to get involved in clubs etc and will become a bit more like us !! thumbsup

we need to get away from this football top debate when it comes to relaxing the dress code

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 13 Feb 2011, 7:01 pm

I used to know an American guy who worked over here. He was slightly more than a "casual" golfer, but not a total regular either. We invited him to join us one Sunday morning at a little muni we used to play. Though it was a Sunday morning, the course was relatively quiet and more so because it was a wet morning.

Now this guy knew the rules and dress codes, but inexplicably turned up in jeans. It was an early start; he'd maybe had a heavy night the night before - I don't know - but he was mortified when he realized even before any of us said anything.

As it was quiet we went in and payd his fees for him so the guys in the shop didn't see him and we started to play.

If you think it's easy to play in jeans, you should try playing in wet jeans. The poor sod was soaked (as we all were) but it seemed MUCH worse for him in denims.

I doubt he'd make that mistake again

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Sun 13 Feb 2011, 7:06 pm

iain poulter wondered around royal troon in ripped jeans and a t shirt before the open. obviously he was just pacing the course getting to know the place. the guys i play with were non to complimentary about it but ill be honest...i couldnt care less Wink

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down