The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club medals etc

+12
puligny
oldparwin
navyblueshorts
JPX
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Rossa
JDandfries
Davie
drive4show
super_realist
MustPuttBetter
graeme
16 posters

Go down

Club medals etc Empty Club medals etc

Post by graeme Tue 28 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

having a chat with redrage during our day oot on sunday and talking about club competitions etc. he mentioned that there are 2 mid-week medals each month which he likes to play in. i only thought about it later but at crail we don't have a "regimented" set of medals as such. every "medal" is either for a cup or a medal and the calendar isn't filled regularly, ie every 2 weeks or "the monthly medal" as such. you can go 3 weeks with nothing and then have 4 in 2 weeks. for example, coming up we have the saunders medal tomorrow (nett strokeplay, balcomie), the jubilee and lindesay medals on saturday (gross and nett strokeplay, balcomie), then the summer meeting the following saturday for the 1st scratch and stenhouse medals (gross and nett strokeplay, craighead, summer order of merit event).

so does your club have "the monthly medal"/ "the mid-week medal" or is every comp played for a specific cup or medal? i think it's nice to be able to walk past the trophy cabinet and have a look at your cups/ medals (well, it was a couple of years ago!).

graeme

Back to top Go down

Club medals etc Empty Re: Club medals etc

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 28 Jun 2011, 12:55 pm

We have a monthly medal, so a designated Sat & Sun of each month and then a midweek medal being usually the Weds of the week of the monthly medal.
Most competitions ar ethen also qualifying comps and have their own medals and trophies

Graeme - so your club doesn't have a regular monthly medal? Presumably they are fairly spread out during the year though?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 28 Jun 2011, 12:55 pm

Both my clubs play a midweek medal although it's more of a sweep although it's handicap counting mainly played for by Coffin Dodgers at St.Andrews though.
There is a monthly medal during the months of Mar-Oct and lots more competitions on weekends. Alongside all the opens I play in I'm pretty well catered for with competitions. Shame I'm struggling with a card in my hand right now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 28 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

We have both at my club. During the competition season (March till Oct) we have a monthly medal and stableford as well as an extra medal and stableford. There are also a few midweek ones as well. But we still have various cups that are one off 18 hole comps.
I know a lot of clubs have weekly nedals pretty much every weekend. I'd like to see that at my place as I prefer to play competitive rather than social golf.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:02 pm

We have on average 2 midweek medals per month (open category) plus on average 1 C medal and 1 A/B medal per month. These are in addition to "board comps", special cups and the more "fun" competitions such as team events, charity days, scrambles etc

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:10 pm

MPB, no "monthly medal" as such. they are spread mostly between march and september with probably about 30 scratch and nett cups/ medals to be played for. the majority are strokeplay with a couple of stablefords early on.

during the winter, there are saturday and wednesday stablefords about every 2 weeks which also accumulate into the winter order of merit with a play off at the end of them.

there are also about another 4 or 5 matchplay comps outside the club champs too. it's a fairly sizeable trophy cabinet as you can see here! - http://www.crailgolfingsociety.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&Itemid=16

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue 28 Jun 2011, 2:31 pm

We have a medal comp, which culminates in a 36 hole final, for which there are 12 qualifying rounds, spead between April and September, andtherefore ususally get at least two each calender month, on a saturday.

There is also a weekly Stableford comp, 15 rounds culminating in a final.

Also a monthly medal, held on the first monday of every month.

So pretty much every satuday is filled, bar one or two - Spring Summer and Autom medals and stableford thrown in when there isnt a medal qualifier, along with atexas scramble

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Tue 28 Jun 2011, 3:53 pm

We have qualifying comps all year, so we have Monthly Medals on a Saturday, split in to Divs 1, 2 and 3 playing on a different weekends (1&2 combine for summer months). Winners and ties qualify for the final medal. Best 6 net scores (based on starting year handicaps) also wins a trophy.

We have a stableford every thursday (off whites in summer/yellows in winter)

Midweek medals on bank holidays except xmas/new year (off yellows)

I reckon we have 6-8 'other' board medal comps not including club championship/open etc, 2 of which are qualifiers for matchplay comps top 16 or 8...

We have greensomes and 4somes matchplay in winter.
And 4bbb and singles (in 2 divisions) in Summer. And the Sunday Morning 4bbb (matches must be played on a Sunday AM).

So we are pretty well catered for when it comes to comps, we are lucky that we NEVER have temporary greens as the course is built on sand and gravel deposits and drains as well as any links course. The only thing that closes the course is snow really. As a result we have qualifng comps all year round Smile
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:12 pm

super_realist wrote:Both my clubs play a midweek medal although it's more of a sweep although it's handicap counting mainly played for by Coffin Dodgers at St.Andrews though.
There is a monthly medal during the months of Mar-Oct and lots more competitions on weekends. Alongside all the opens I play in I'm pretty well catered for with competitions. Shame I'm struggling with a card in my hand right now.

Put your card in your pocket, it must interfere with your grip with it in your hand. Whistle

Medal first Saturday of every month, and mid week medal every 2nd week. Plus trophies etc on the other weekends.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:42 pm

Monthly medal every 1st saturday all year round
Team comp second saturday (better ball, scrambles etc)
Stablefords for remaining Sats

1 x Sunday medal per month
1 x Sunday stableford per month

Also, per month - 1 x Midweek Stableford played Tues - Fri / 1 x midweek medal played Tues - Fri.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:45 pm

We tend to just go with the regular Saturday and mid-week (i.e. Thursday) Medals throughout the Summer. Might be nice to have some specific trophies to play for.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:07 pm

We have comps most Saturdays and Sundays during the summer months, all are qualifying events, bad news is you can very quickly go up a 1 or 2 shots, if not playing well

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

I know that last year I played 47 qualifying rounds - but this year it will be around 30. Irrespective of the number of comps at your clubs, how many qualifying rounds do you play?

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

I must play somewhere around 30 I would have thought. I play quite a few 36 hole opens plus all the usual club stuff.

I certainly don't have to worry about my handicap becoming inactive Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:47 pm

Ruddy Hell Puligny that's some going king If you include Open comps at other clubs, reckon my qualifying rounds will be around the 20 mark. I work most Saturdays so that limits me a bit for some comps malheureusment Crying or Very sad
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 29 Jun 2011, 1:15 pm

puligny, this year i've got 'scheduled' about 22 hcp counters at my home course, 11 at my away and only 3 or 4 at others. if i switched my home and away courses i would probably get close to the 50 mark as they have wednesday sweeps every week through the summer.

thats topped up with a couple of scrambles, pro day, fourball opens etc. have something on pretty much every saturday, with the odd sunday and wednesday when convenient.

bounce games are fine, but for me its not the same without a card in my hand!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 29 Jun 2011, 1:23 pm

graeme,
at my away course there are 6 monthly medals between april - sep, with a medal final including the 6 winners for the gold medal. there are other comps dotted through the summer for trophies, probably about 15ish. on top of that there is a wednesday sweep every wednesday from beginning of may to end august, with all the winners contesting a final on the last wednesday of august for the trophy. loads of comps - great!
at my home course there are a and b section spring / summer / autumn meetings, and various other comps dotted through the summer. 27 in all, most of them are for a particular trophy, but there are about half a dozen [mostly mid-week comps] that are just 'optional medals'. no trophy, just vouchers to the winners.
prize money differs greatly between the two. away club you are lucky to pick up £15 for a win. cash prizes for winning at my home club can be anything from £80 - £150 for a general comp depending on entry.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:52 pm

Probably not enough at our club is the answer.No qualifying comps from
Nov to April.Plenty of fun stuff during the winter.Probably 3/4 singles medal or stableford rounds per month.one sat,one sun and a couple of midweek.
Captains week in June.Few other main events.Our committee tends to be dominated by a group who all play together on saturday mornings(24 plus members)and they are quite happy doing their own thing.
Re the inactive handicap that has got me a free game at Lutterworth this sunday to fill in for someone who is inactive.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:21 pm

interesting about the prize money ban_bam. your home club has some generous prizes! most medals are £10 for the winner, with a few, eg club champs rounds and winners being £20. a select few have crystal too and they all have a cup or medal.

dynamark, we have 2 winter stableford counting comps on saturdays and wednesdays. 12 in total of each with a playoff at the end based on highest aggregate scores. you could suggest it as it keeps that competitive spirit up throughout the year.

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm

Don't shoot me folks and excuse my ignorance, but isn't receiving cash prizes akin to being a professional, or is there a limit, after which it becomes professional?

Only asking like
Erm

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:47 pm

ours are vouchers, yads.

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 30 Jun 2011, 1:07 pm

Yadsendew wrote:Don't shoot me folks and excuse my ignorance, but isn't receiving cash prizes akin to being a professional, or is there a limit, after which it becomes professional?

Only asking like
Erm

Yads

you are absolutely right! I don't know what the cash limit is but I do know it is very small. At my club you win vouchers for your pro shop account but if you enter the optional sweep, then it's cash prizes.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 30 Jun 2011, 6:27 pm

think its £300 limit per comp. i've seen a few scratch opens offer that as 1st prize.

our prizes are split into 2 categories.
- club subsidised pro shop credit [fixed amount of £40 or £50 1st prize each comp]. there are also scratch prizes.
- cash for sweep, i.e. money from entry fee [dependant on numbers, but we normally get about 170 entrants which will tot up to about £40 1st prize for cat 1 and cat 2. there is also a scratch sweep.
- and cash for 2s, also money from entry fee. [normally about £8-10 per 2, but have seen it as high as £35 per 2 this season].

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down