The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you could only play one course...........

+25
bluefoxgolf
Faldono1fan
JDandfries
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
barragan
Lairdy
Diggers
Tigerw12
oldshanker
SmithersJones
JAS
The Dazzler
puligny
George1507
Noshankingtonite
Doon the Water
Gregers
kwinigolfer
baboo800
navyblueshorts
super_realist
sharrison01
MustPuttBetter
Rossa
drive4show
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If you could only play one course........... Empty If you could only play one course...........

Post by drive4show Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:26 pm

Bit of fun lads and ladies.......

If you could only play one course for the rest of your life, which would it be?

Two choices, one course you have already played and 2nd choice can be any course on the planet.

I'll start us off.....

1) Royal County Down

2) Pine Valley

drive4show

Back to top Go down

If you could only play one course........... Empty Re: If you could only play one course...........

Post by Rossa Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:29 pm

1) Royal Porthcawl - best i've played...

2) Pine Valley also Smile
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

If you could only play one course........... Empty Re: If you could only play one course...........

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:32 pm

I've not really played anywhere great so will skip that bit but will go for

2) Augusta - just becuase of the romance involved rose

Interesting that you both have gone for Pine Valley. May i ask why? I'll admit to not being familiar with it
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:34 pm

1) TOC for me

2) Les Bordes. Billionaires golf in the loire valley - what's not to love!?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:37 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:I've not really played anywhere great so will skip that bit but will go for

2) Augusta - just becuase of the romance involved rose

Interesting that you both have gone for Pine Valley. May i ask why? I'll admit to not being familiar with it

It's regularly rated as the #1 course in the world, not much known about it as it's strictly members and guests only. The pictures I've seen look fantastic though Smile

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:39 pm

I'm a bit of fan of Colt courses and he is credited along with quite a few others of contibuting to this one... look up the wikipedia page, the design principals the the owner (Crump) used are quite remarkable.
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:41 pm

Harrison, What would you do once the novelty of the history wore off, you'd be pretty bored. As an example, a guy off 13 shot a net 60 there on saturday in the Spring Prizes.

The tee shot at one is quite good, as is 17, and finishing on 18 is ok, but give me Kingsbarns any day.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:41 pm

Rossa

you'll need to head south and come play my course, it's also a HS Colt track

www.broadstonegolfclub.com

thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:47 pm

Only one option for me:-

Cypress Point.

Wouldn't mind Pine Valley and I quite fancy spending a fortnight or so at Pinehurst and playing the whole lot at least once. How much is the Euromillions worth next draw?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:48 pm

SR, am not sure that the history would wear off for me. Agree with the general consensus that it hasn't got many great holes but for me it was the most enjoyable golfing experience that I've had.

Maybe it's the simplicity of the place that I loved - it's all very nice rocking up and having someone take your clubs out the boot before cleaning them and putting them where you want them but the thought of strolling out on a summers evening around TOC is my ideal golf...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by baboo800 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:49 pm

1.Pebble beach
2.Whistling Straits/Bethpage black(playing whistling straits next week)

baboo800

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:51 pm

1).Pebble Beach

2).Cypress Point

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by baboo800 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:51 pm

nbv,played all the pinehurst courses and they are beautiful .

baboo800

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:52 pm

1) The Old Course at The Belfry

2) Augusta

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:53 pm

Don't you think it would be like a box of chocolates, the first few are great but then you get sick of it.

I like playing it, but it's not my first choice at the weekend, but then I'm spoilt rotten with the courses I have available.
Mind you , I wouldn't want to take it away from you if it's your choice, it's just a bit of a cliche.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:57 pm

baboo800 wrote:nbv,played all the pinehurst courses and they are beautiful .

Now I'm jealous! Maybe I'll get there one day though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:01 pm

SR, could that not be said about playing every golf course over and over though? Maybe because you can play it every weekend for you it is exactly like a box of chocolates?

I'm lucky enough to play some really great golf courses around the home counties all year but it does make you very blase about other courses and sometimes you need to just take a step back and appreciate golf courses for what they are.

And Gregers, it's the Brabazon at The Belfry - will leave opinions of that bad boy to others that are more opinionated...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:06 pm

Harrison, I don't think that is strictly true, if you played any course in perptuity I think you'd get bored, although I think I'd get bored of TOC quicker than lots of other courses, because on it's own it doesn't stand out as a golf course the way in which others do, much of it's appeal is down to it's mystique and rose tinted history, but much like a model with no brains, once you've scraped away the surface and the superficial you aren't left with much.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:13 pm

But then surely having that history gives it more depth than, say, The Grove which is a great course and set up but doesn't have that history. I would say that a course like that is more of your model type girlfriend whereas TOC has more depth.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:19 pm

Can we stay on topic please guys, this thread is a bit of fun NOT a mass debate.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:27 pm

My apologies D4S - thought SR's and my debate didn't harm the thread. It's a debatable topic and I found SR's view as a local to St Andrews rather interesting...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:36 pm

Muirfield just beats Sunningdale Old and Turnberry Ailsa for me.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:58 pm

I think s_r raises the point that it's all in the eye of the beholder, and no point in arguing the respective beauty.

I was tempted to list my favourite course in Central New York, not just because I love the place (for all the flaws that Shotrock may detail), but because it suggests I'd be playing with my mates with all the camaraderie and craic that makes for really fun golf. But others would ridicule me for that choice, especially s_r most likely!

But Pebble Beach will reward my choice by letting me have lunch in the Tennis and Beach Club whenever I want, and that and Cypress Point suggest I'll have attained a standard of living one can only dream about!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:25 pm

Back on topic now, thanks guys thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:32 pm

Drive: what about the place itself; i.e what it offers as a lifestyle choice in addition to the golf? Should that have some influence on your choices?
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:43 pm

West Links at North Berwick
Desert Dunes at Palm Springs.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:52 pm

The number 1 for me would be Kingston Heath in the sandbelt near Melbourne - I would happily play that all day every day!
I'm also lucky to have played Cape Kidnappers in Hawkes Bay New Zealand - if it isn't the most spectacular course on the planet there is something very special out there!!!
Normally I would look for something closer to home, and buy British etc - but those two are special!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dazzler Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:01 pm

Muirfield and Southerness, pure class and play different everyday due to the weather angel
The Dazzler
The Dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:45 pm

That I haven't played.....easy...Cypress Point

That I have played hmmm difficult because opinions are guided by experiences good and bad. Would love to say Pebble or Carnoustie or perhaps Royal Dornoch but all 3 have beat the rudey poo out of me...I'd soon get tired of that happening on a regular basis. For sheer golfing pleasure and the love of being there and the variety it provides...probably Kapalua Plantation for me.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by baboo800 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:50 pm

Played royal county down and it was very disappointing

baboo800

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:56 pm

baboo800 wrote:Played royal county down and it was very disappointing

What did you find disappointing about it?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:11 pm

Valderrama and Augusta.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by baboo800 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:34 pm

Played royal county down and it was very disappointing

baboo800

Back to top Go down

Post by baboo800 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm

I found the course was in very poor conditions for such good weather that there was at the time

baboo800

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:37 pm

baboo

are you not going to elaborate on your statement? It's ranked the #3 course in the world so I suspect you could be in the minority here.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:39 pm

baboo800 wrote:I found the course was in very poor conditions for such good weather that there was at the time

I played it in May last year after a pretty harsh winter and poor spring. The greens were in poor condition but that didn't detract from what is clearly a stunning golf course.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:45 pm

A course that I have to play for the rest of my life - easy. Muirfield

A course that I haven't played - Bethpage Black

oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerw12 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm

the championship course at mission hills or West Lancashire Golf club.

Tigerw12

Back to top Go down

Post by baboo800 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:53 pm

I just think that the greens were very poorly kept,the drainage was awful and and the service in the club house was appauling

baboo800

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:56 pm

baboo800 wrote:I just think that the greens were very poorly kept,the drainage was awful and and the service in the club house was appauling

Are you thinking of the right course here? RCD is a links, built on sand, it doesn't retain any water.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by baboo800 Wed 29 Jun 2011, 2:17 am

I found the fairways quite damp

baboo800

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:29 am

Very difficult choice, I've played some great courses recently but the one I enjoyed the most was Kingsbarns, however on the caveat it is played in perpuity on a balmy mid summers evening, with a setting sun, long shadows and no wind.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:34 am

Probably Pebble Beach for me but Ive seen a few links to a club in New Zealand called Cape Kidnappers and the views look amazing. Also Ive never been to New Zealand and Id love to go.
To me Im such a hacker the quality and nuances of holes are a bit irrelevant and lost on me, Id go for the atmosphere and the environment and views.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:48 am

Good point Diggers, If you've got to play somewhere, it has to be nice to play and not just a good course.

It's a bit like choosing your ideal ski resort, you wouldn't choose a toilet like Val D'Isere, Tignes or Val Thorens you'd pick somewhere with charm and beauty.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:55 am

True neough Super, though I guess the advantages of the purpose buit resorts are they are often a but higher and hence guarantee the chance of a bit more snow.
But Im a fair weather skier and golfer, I like clear blue sky, no wind and a fantastic view. If I manage to ski or golf well then thats a bonus.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:01 am

Nothing wrong with a purpose built resort so long as it's done tastefully, sadly most French ones have been tarnished with the brush of ghastly 60's council block architecture. If I pay a grand for a holiday, I don't really want to feel like I'm in Swindon but with snow and a view.
Therefore France is pretty much off the itinerary these days.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:04 am

Havent skied for 2 years now and miss it a lot, I still think some of the smaller resorts around the three valleys are nice, tend to go there as my mates sister has a chalet we can use. Cant wait for my little girl to be old enough to enjoy it, just gone 2 so a couple of years and she will be good to go. Hopefully she'll end up getting some of that Olympic funding you want to withdraw.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:09 am

super_realist wrote:Nothing wrong with a purpose built resort so long as it's done tastefully, sadly most French ones have been tarnished with the brush of ghastly 60's council block architecture. If I pay a grand for a holiday, I don't really want to feel like I'm in Swindon but with snow and a view.
Therefore France is pretty much off the itinerary these days.

Have never really found the people overly friendly either - always felt like an intruder in their town. Austria's my favourite for skiing - Italy's great and Switzerland just feels like a "who's got the biggest wallet" competition but the hospitality of the Austrians, quaint towns and scenery beat the French hands down. If only they could do golf courses...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:10 am

I went for the first time in 5 years this year. Fantastic on all levels and not a ghastly french building in site. Austria really knocks France into a cocked hat in every respect.

I know you are being flippant about Olympic funding, I'm all for grass roots funding, I just don't want apathetic losers like Alcott to get funding when they get nowhere in a sport they can't possibly expect to be good at.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:28 am

I would go with Augusta, partly because the use of the par 3 course would be amazing short game practice!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next